ADVERTISEMENT

I hope Gordon wins the job

WASH ST A&M FAN

Head Coach
Sep 4, 2002
I’m tired of listening to people give provisional credibility to Gage with no substance other than it worked last year with Gardner. I’d argue 95% of Coug Fans never have seen him play except vs WSU.

Hell, if Gordon wins the Job good for F’n him & I’d suggest that’s a great sign that Leach’s Program is yet again a solid developmental ground for the next QB up like at TT. Gordon’s been in the program since the spring of 2016 & learned the craft & has been a solid Coug. This blind loyalty due to 1 game 3-years ago is pretty sad as “die-hard” Coug Fans.

Last edited:
I want the best QB to start. I'm not particularly fond of any of our QB's TBH, so I'm comfortable with whoever moves the ball the best. Gordon stepped it up last week and is playing at a higher level than he has in the past. My suspicion is Leach would like Gubrud to win the job based on his skills as a duel threat. He hasn't yet and Gordon's improvement might mean Gage is unlikely to catch him. Missing spring ball was an absolute killer.

In retrospect, it would have been nice to give more reps this fall to Camm Cooper or Gunner Cruz as opposed to giving a ton to a guy who will end up as a marginal upgrade over the third string guy (Tinsley).

I bought the line that Gubrud was inevitably going to be the guy. I like seeing Gordon overcome that. Gordon hasn't struck me as a perfect QB, good but not great, with some elements of brilliance.

However, he hasn't even played a game yet, so he has plenty of opportunity to surprise. Not looking for GM 2.0. Just want to see him really lead the team, even if it is with a leadership style we haven't seen before.

I also think it speaks well to future recruits that a grad transfer isn't just going to swoop in every year.

I’m tired of listening to people give provisional credibility to Gage with no substance other than it worked last year with Gardner. I’d argue 95% of Coug Fans never have seen him play except vs WSU.

Hell, if Gordon wins the Job good for F’n him & I’d suggest that’s a great sign that Leach’s Program is yet again a solid developmental ground for the next QB up like at TT. Gordon’s been in the program since the spring of 2016 & learned the craft & has been a solid Coug. This blind loyalty due to 1 game 3-years ago is pretty sad as “die-hard” Coug Fans.

Too funny....first who made you the arbiter of who is a Coug Die Hard. Clearly those who don't go along with your linear thinking their Cougness can be called in question.

But what is even funnier is when you say 95% of teh people have never seen GG ever play. Guess what, 100% of the people probably have never seen Gordon take a meaningful snap in D1 football.

I would imagine Leach will get good QB play whoever it is.

Too funny....first who made you the arbiter of who is a Coug Die Hard. Clearly those who don't go along with your linear thinking their Cougness can be called in question.

But what is even funnier is when you say 95% of teh people have never seen GG ever play. Guess what, 100% of the people probably have never seen Gordon take a meaningful snap in D1 football.

I would imagine Leach will get good QB play whoever it is.

Two Things:

1) You have a Tell..... Any time something or someone hits home with you on this site, you respond: “Too Funny”. (You’re Not Very Complex)

2) You of all people trying to proclaim you did any internet related research in opposition any point made by anyone else here is: “Too Funny”. (See what I just did there?)

ED are You still under probation from the weird shit you & bro posted week’s ago. (evansville weird)

Reactions: YakiCoug
I didn’t notice people, other than El Comm, dissing any of our QBs. I think there was the assumption that since Minshew and GG were brought in consecutively, it was because the QB depth on the roster wasn’t adequate.

Careful, he'll publish all your details as well.

Two Things:

1) You have a Tell..... Any time something or someone hits home with you on this site, you respond: “Too Funny”. (You’re Not Very Complex)

2) You of all people trying to proclaim you did any internet related research in opposition any point made by anyone else here is: “Too Funny”. (See what I just did there?)

ED are You still under probation from the weird shit you & bro posted week’s ago. (evansville weird)

I think that Gubrud has a bit more raw talent than Gordon and I like his dual threat possibilities. Missing spring ball was pretty tough for him. He had a lot of catching up to do. Remember, Minshew was already well versed in the air raid when he got here. If Gubrud had been here in the system the last few years like Gordon, I think there could have been a different outcome (although we still don't really know how the season will play out but CML tends to stick to one guy...).
I also got a vague feeling from a couple interviews that Gubrud wasn't 'All-In' on being a Coug.
I'm impressed with what I've seen with Gordon's accuracy and reads the last couple weeks. And, obviously Leach is too...and his opinion is more important than mine :)

Gordon has clearly been the best QB this fall. In Lewiston it was clear he not only had the best grasp of offense, but he also had the most explosive plays. He has even been better in Pullman. His arm talent is really impressive. He can really spin it. Gubrud can extend the play and come out with aces when things are falling apart, but Gordon can run too. Fans love QB who can extend the play, but I really think that is low on Leachs priority list. He wants guys who have a high completion %, get the ball out on time, and most importantly score!! Another thing to consider is the locker room. Perhaps Gordon is the team favorite as well. Good for him!! If he struggles then give Gage a shot.

Two Things:

Yo Chandler...I am on probation for what weird sh!t? I thought my job was in jeopardy or that Scott was banning me four months ago. Or that the police were coming to my house and to take me away.

Why do you ignore what happened when Yaki posted my personal info on the board? Your hypocrisy and complicity are duly noted.

When I say too funny, it means "irony", that you find it hard to swallow that GG is seen as the starter despite 95% of Coug fans never seeing him play while the other guy no one has seen him play. It is not a "tell", it is a statement.

And I proclaimed in this post I did research on something? Hmm...

And back to the "weird" sh!t that happened last week, I had 10 people text me and say it was about time. Personally, I wish Yaki would just stop posting crap like that and we would get along just fine.

Last edited:
I think that Gubrud has a bit more raw talent than Gordon and I like his dual threat possibilities. Missing spring ball was pretty tough for him. He had a lot of catching up to do. Remember, Minshew was already well versed in the air raid when he got here. If Gubrud had been here in the system the last few years like Gordon, I think there could have been a different outcome (although we still don't really know how the season will play out but CML tends to stick to one guy...).
I also got a vague feeling from a couple interviews that Gubrud wasn't 'All-In' on being a Coug.
I'm impressed with what I've seen with Gordon's accuracy and reads the last couple weeks. And, obviously Leach is too...and his opinion is more important than mine :)

Minshew said he knew early on he was the starter. That the rest was show, or something to that affect. Meaning that he felt he was given the reigns pretty early and that he knew he beat out Tinsley and Gordon.

If you looked at Minshew's career (he only started half the games his junior year at ECU) I am not sure anyone could have expected a quarter of what he accomplished. It is pretty stunning.

I considered posting a survey, and.....wouldn't be surprised if Gordon gets the popular vote. I also hope it's Gordon. Can't wait to see him tear it up.

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who has been going to a doctor in the Spokane area for the past few months. One of the doctor's assistants was an EWU grad that's a season ticket holder for football. My friend said that he was surprised that she (the EWU grad) was happy that Gubrud had decided to leave EWU. In the eyes of at least some Eagles fans, Gubrud had a little too much gunslinger in him and forced the ball way too often and that they were better off without him. That's been discussed here a little bit already.

I agree with the above comments that it's a big win for the program if Gordon plays so well that our grad transfer QB doesn't end up starting. It's also perfectly all right if Gubrud gets better in the next couple weeks and tears it away from Gordon. Either way, it's a win/win for WSU fans. All of us believe that no matter what, Leach will start the guy that he feels is best. Gubrud needs to get a better grasp of the offense and not force the ball if he wants to play and Gordon just needs to continue doing his thing and he'll start. I'm impressed that he didn't tuck tail and run just because Leach brought in another grad transfer. Kudos to Gordon for being a baller no matter how things shake out.

My guess is that with Theo's comment above, we will see Gordon start. However, with another "easy" game in week 2, I will not be surprised to see Gubrud get on the field relatively early in the game if we build up a lead just so Leach can evaluate both of them in an actual game. Of course, it's foolish for any of us to really pretend that we know how Mike Leach thinks.

Gage showed up with a ton of game experience. He was the best QB in the FCS. Being injured last season and then again in the spring did him no favors in the race. He has just missed too many reps. You can't get hurt. While you idle in place recovering everyone else is getting better.

Gordon took on the challenge and stepped up his game. Good for him. Maybe Gage showing up gave him the push he needed over the top? Maybe staring down one last year pushed him over the top? Maybe both? Maybe something else? Who knows.

I, too, want the best QB to play, but must confess I was looking forward to Gubrud because of a teammate's comments about him being the best at checking out of plays at the line of scrimmage. Had visions of the running backs galloping wildly through 3-man fronts and the receivers getting loose for big gainers when the 'D' adjusted. Oh well, some other time.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I, too, want the best QB to play, but must confess I was looking forward to Gubrud because of a teammate's comments about him being the best at checking out of plays at the line of scrimmage. Had visions of the running backs galloping wildly through 3-man fronts and the receivers getting loose for big gainers when the 'D' adjusted. Oh well, some other time.

The great thing, is if they're very close, bringing in Gubrud can help creative wrinkles and different sets - just enough to get that extra 6 on the board and those little wrinkles could be the difference between 12-1 and 8-4.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Yo Chandler...I am on probation for what weird sh!t? I thought my job was in jeopardy or that Scott was banning me four months ago. Or that the police were coming to my house and to take me away.

Why do you ignore what happened when Yaki posted my name on the board with the name of my company and email then u=in response soandsoisyakcoug aka Sponge posted Yakis info in kind. Does it only bother you when one person has their info divulged? Sponge has known who Yaki may have been since late January, and he has known for sure since I think May. He was told not to do anything with that info...of course he was relieved of his obligation to me when Yaki for no reason posted my info. "Too Funny" how that is ok and not "weird" to you.

When I say too funny, it means "irony", that you find it hard to swallow that GG is seen as the starter despite 95% of Coug fans never seeing him play while the other guy no one has seen him play. It is not a "tell", it is a statement.

And I proclaimed in this post I did research on something? Hmm...

And back to the "weird" sh!t that happened last week, I had 10 people text me and say it was about time. Personally, I wish Yaki would just stop posting crap like that and we would get along just fine.

No one cares about your brothers stupid feud with Yaki.

Take it to another site. You're getting good threads deleted.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
However, with another "easy" game in week 2, I will not be surprised to see Gubrud get on the field relatively early in the game if we build up a lead just so Leach can evaluate both of them in an actual game. Of course, it's foolish for any of us to really pretend that we know how Mike Leach thinks.

That would make sense, but that's not really been Leach's MO. I think he'll get the starter as many reps as he can without appearing to be running up the score. My guess would be the backup only gets a series or two the first weeks (assuming blowouts).

Reactions: BiggsCoug
The great thing, is if they're very close, bringing in Gubrud can help creative wrinkles and different sets - just enough to get that extra 6 on the board and those little wrinkles could be the difference between 12-1 and 8-4.

Again, playing 2 QBs and bringing in a backup to create a "wrinkle" isn't really Leach's MO. If Gordon is the starter, he'll get the lions share of the reps unless we're up big. Even then, the backup will probably get a series or two.

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who has been going to a doctor in the Spokane area for the past few months. One of the doctor's assistants was an EWU grad that's a season ticket holder for football. My friend said that he was surprised that she (the EWU grad) was happy that Gubrud had decided to leave EWU. In the eyes of at least some Eagles fans, Gubrud had a little too much gunslinger in him and forced the ball way too often and that they were better off without him. That's been discussed here a little bit already.

I agree with the above comments that it's a big win for the program if Gordon plays so well that our grad transfer QB doesn't end up starting. It's also perfectly all right if Gubrud gets better in the next couple weeks and tears it away from Gordon. Either way, it's a win/win for WSU fans. All of us believe that no matter what, Leach will start the guy that he feels is best. Gubrud needs to get a better grasp of the offense and not force the ball if he wants to play and Gordon just needs to continue doing his thing and he'll start. I'm impressed that he didn't tuck tail and run just because Leach brought in another grad transfer. Kudos to Gordon for being a baller no matter how things shake out.

My guess is that with Theo's comment above, we will see Gordon start. However, with another "easy" game in week 2, I will not be surprised to see Gubrud get on the field relatively early in the game if we build up a lead just so Leach can evaluate both of them in an actual game. Of course, it's foolish for any of us to really pretend that we know how Mike Leach thinks.

If you compare Gubrud v. WSU 2016 to Gubrud v. WSU 2018, the complaint that he'd force balls appears to be valid. Without a top-flight WR and against an improved WSU secondary in 2108, Gubrud threw three picks. I'm sure he would like to have those throws back, just as he'd like to have that early pick 6 back in the recent scrimmage (a horrible throw). The knock on Gordon is that he also gets careless from time to time, but all accounts are that his consistency has vastly improved. The added reps he got in the spring in Gubrud's absence certainly helped.

That would make sense, but that's not really been Leach's MO. I think he'll get the starter as many reps as he can without appearing to be running up the score. My guess would be the backup only gets a series or two the first weeks (assuming blowouts).

Agree 100% that Leach's history suggests that we won't see much of the backup. If Leach really feels that he can win games with Gordon (or Gubrud), I expect that to continue this year. With the fact that it appears that it's a closer race this year than in year's past, I'm wondering if it will be different.

That said, Minshew didn't really appear to be settled in as our starter last year until our win over Oregon State. If we had played USC later in the season.....I think we would have whipped them. That's a strong argument for Leach to stick to past habits and work the starter as much as possible.

No one cares about your brothers stupid feud with Yaki.

Take it to another site. You're getting good threads deleted.

Nothjng sponge did got another thread deleted . He started his own thread. Yaki posted my name and that is what got the thread deleted . Justvas A and M fan posted my name and there is a chance this thread will get deleted as well. I guess I am old school. Play within rules and everyone will get along.

And you stated it perfectly . No one cares and that is the problem . It could have been resolved years ago.

But I will make you this promise in that if no one posts my name you will not see anything by me to get posts deleted .

Last edited:
Agree 100% that Leach's history suggests that we won't see much of the backup. If Leach really feels that he can win games with Gordon (or Gubrud), I expect that to continue this year. With the fact that it appears that it's a closer race this year than in year's past, I'm wondering if it will be different.

That said, Minshew didn't really appear to be settled in as our starter last year until our win over Oregon State. If we had played USC later in the season.....I think we would have whipped them. That's a strong argument for Leach to stick to past habits and work the starter as much as possible.

And if we played SC later and whipped them we would have won the north outright before the AC...

In defense of Gubrud, one of those picks was a miraculous laying out with his body tip to himself and catch by Woods in the 2018 match. The other two were just bad throws for sure, which goes to your point of not having high caliber receivers ala Cooper Kupp in that game either.

In defense of Gubrud, one of those picks was a miraculous laying out with his body tip to himself and catch by Woods in the 2018 match. The other two were just bad throws for sure, which goes to your point of not having high caliber receivers ala Cooper Kupp in that game either.

That was a great play by Woods, although the ball was a bit underthrown.

Two Things:

What does Evansville have to do with our discussion ? First I am sure you don’t even know where that is. Second what does Evansville have to do with me, I never lived there. But since you are so fascinated Mt Prospect, Chagrin Falls, Clinton, Parkersburg , Seattle , Silver Spring , OKC back to to Seattle. But always thought of Pullman as home. Pullman weird? Nah

"I was talking to a friend of mine last night who has been going to a doctor in the Spokane area for the past few months. One of the doctor's assistants was an EWU grad that's a season ticket holder for football. My friend said that he was surprised that she (the EWU grad) was happy that Gubrud had decided to leave EWU. In the eyes of at least some Eagles fans, Gubrud had a little too much gunslinger in him and forced the ball way too much."

could you go see what your dental hygienist says and report back?

"I was talking to a friend of mine last night who has been going to a doctor in the Spokane area for the past few months. One of the doctor's assistants was an EWU grad that's a season ticket holder for football. My friend said that he was surprised that she (the EWU grad) was happy that Gubrud had decided to leave EWU. In the eyes of at least some Eagles fans, Gubrud had a little too much gunslinger in him and forced the ball way too much."

I'll have him check on that.

“Thank you Simone.”

free-rent-ballons.jpg
What does Evansville have to do with our discussion ?

Now that makes sense . You mention Evansville and a town I spent all of two days in and that constitutes free rent . Not sure why you would even want to be a landlord. I. am with you Gale Gilbert, you make total sense. Care to guess how many times I have referenced you in a post versus the times you have mentioned me ?

Last edited:

I can tell you what mine said today. Buckle up and take Advil .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT