ADVERTISEMENT

I long for the good old days

Prop 48, Waterbust, pre-NIL college athletics, having membership in the Conference of Champions, etc. Hell, I even remember a time where we had an actual female on this very message board. Seemed like a decent gal. Then some drunk dude went Kohberger-creepy and ran her off. But I digress…
Rumor is that UW alone has contacted 7 Coug players already.

Not sure I really buy that, I don’t see 7 players that I think they’d be interested in…unless we count ones like Jenkins who are already off the team.

Reactions: LeachPack
Rumor is that UW alone has contacted 7 Coug players already.

Not sure I really buy that, I don’t see 7 players that I think they’d be interested in…unless we count ones like Jenkins who are already off the team.
Ward, Hicks, Chau, Jenkins, Kelly, Djouvensly, Lockett? I’m sure they aren’t all getting offered huge bags. If you could pick clean the best players regionally you’d be pretty good across the board. Everyone’s going to have a different strategy with this thing. Think about the NFL. Do you spend $50 mil on a QB or build a better roster around an average QB who makes $15 mil or is on a rookie deal. Same type of decisions will be made with limited NIL budgets in college. So if you can fill holes in your roster with pretty good/cheap players and pay big bags to a couple of superstars that can be a winning formula. The way UW is recruiting that seems to be their strategy is to fill a LOT of roster holes through the portal but without a Michigan, Oregon, Bama, Texas budget they have to attack it differently.

Ward, Hicks, Chau, Jenkins, Kelly, Djouvensly, Lockett? I’m sure they aren’t all getting offered huge bags. If you could pick clean the best players regionally you’d be pretty good across the board. Everyone’s going to have a different strategy with this thing. Think about the NFL. Do you spend $50 mil on a QB or build a better roster around an average QB who makes $15 mil or is on a rookie deal. Same type of decisions will be made with limited NIL budgets in college. So if you can fill holes in your roster with pretty good/cheap players and pay big bags to a couple of superstars that can be a winning formula. The way UW is recruiting that seems to be their strategy is to fill a LOT of roster holes through the portal but without a Michigan, Oregon, Bama, Texas budget they have to attack it differently.
If I wanted to watch that game, I wouldn’t have given up on the NFL years ago. Not really interested in watching it with younger and (on average) less talented players.

If I wanted to watch that game, I wouldn’t have given up on the NFL years ago. Not really interested in watching it with younger and (on average) less talented players.
Im not either but my team also isn’t throwing money around. Suspect I’d feel different if WSU was.

Prop 48, Waterbust, pre-NIL college athletics, having membership in the Conference of Champions, etc. Hell, I even remember a time where we had an actual female on this very message board. Seemed like a decent gal. Then some drunk dude went Kohberger-creepy and ran her off. But I digress…
I remember her. She was a Pullman high grad.

Nah. It’s not college football anymore. Its just football at colleges
Dude, Marshawn Lynch played for Cal. Was he a “college” football player? Corey Dillon didn’t attend a single class at UW.

Dude, Marshawn Lynch played for Cal. Was he a “college” football player? Corey Dillon didn’t attend a single class at UW.
Yeah, but that was all outside the rules and wasn’t the expectation for every roster spot. Now it is. Add in the free agency of the portal and the lack of any commitment to their teams, and it’s just not fun anymore

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Im Quite sure you can count on one hand the amount of classes the OSU fiesta bowl team attended. That team was the original transfer portal team.

I'm older than a lot of you, or at least I've been following college football for longer than most people on here. None of this NIL/Portal stuff surprises me because I've already lived through the NCAA stacking the deck against smaller programs. I remember in the 70s and 80s, programs like USC and UW would bloat their rosters to nearly twice the amount of players that we had. They would sign as many scholarship players and preferred walk-ons they could find. I used to laugh when WSU would take the field as a road team against them. We'd bring out maybe 50-60 kids to their 150. They'd have fancy equipment cases on their sidelines and we'd have duffel bags.

Somehow, we managed to compete in the 80s against UW. I still don't know how, honestly.

Im Quite sure you can count on one hand the amount of classes the OSU fiesta bowl team attended. That team was the original transfer portal team.
Uncle Denny? I ran into him one morning at Black Sheep in CdA. Nice guy. Seemed like he was drunk out of his mind at 10 am. Must be nice.

Uncle Denny? I ran into him one morning at Black Sheep in CdA. Nice guy. Seemed like he was drunk out of his mind at 10 am. Must be nice.
Quit talking about me. There is nothing wrong with getting shitfaced early in the day. I could tell more stories, like Nick the bartender at the Nobby Inn, but I don't need more scorn from this Board.

Anyone else remember the kitchen lady at the Nobby Inn? I kinda forget, but she had a nasty growth on her eye. Gross. Made you want to stick a steak knife in and carve it out.

I'm older than a lot of you, or at least I've been following college football for longer than most people on here. None of this NIL/Portal stuff surprises me because I've already lived through the NCAA stacking the deck against smaller programs. I remember in the 70s and 80s, programs like USC and UW would bloat their rosters to nearly twice the amount of players that we had. They would sign as many scholarship players and preferred walk-ons they could find. I used to laugh when WSU would take the field as a road team against them. We'd bring out maybe 50-60 kids to their 150. They'd have fancy equipment cases on their sidelines and we'd have duffel bags.

Somehow, we managed to compete in the 80s against UW. I still don't know how, honestly.
Roster and scholarship limits helped rein that in…and reducing roster limits would help level the playing field now. 70 players per team, period.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
I don't recall that. You sure about PHS? But maybe I was occupied driving around shitfaced swerving around women, children, cats dogs and deer.
Yes, I'm sure. We had a conversation on here one time. She was a cheerleader at PHS in 1977 when we, Eastmont, played them in the playoffs in the Apple Bowl in Wenatchee. Pat Beach was their tight end/middle linebacker. I busted my skull against that oak tree the entire game.

Chad Johnson and his 0.0 gpa wants to know what college is.

But it’s fair to say college football as we knew it is gone.

They could have their budget, right? I don't see why not.

Yes, I'm sure. We had a conversation on here one time. She was a cheerleader at PHS in 1977 when we, Eastmont, played them in the playoffs in the Apple Bowl in Wenatchee. Pat Beach was their tight end/middle linebacker. I busted my skull against that oak tree the entire game.
He was a man among boys in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT