ADVERTISEMENT

I'm predicting Sumlin to Arizona...

Hate to say it, I think Miles' age is a factor as to why he's not getting any looks.....

Yah know, hire him for 6 seasons, have him hire a couple good coordinators and then thank him for his time and move him on. Promote one of the coordinators and move forward.

6 seasons with Miles is gonna be better than 6 seasons with any other coach. Might as well hire him.

Reactions: earldacoug
Miles would be a steal for Arizona... for the reasons listed above. He'd do good things in 5/6 years.

Sumlin would be a scary good hire at U of A - he is the best they can do as he is a great coach and got the short end of the straw from some welthy lunatic boosters at A&M.

I agree about Sumlin being a good hire for Arizona. He is the one I would have wanted us to go after if Leach had left. I am really surprised he wasn’t hired with all the vacancies that occurred.

Not sure Sumlin is an elite coach when, in his first and only role at a major program, he put up 8-5 or 7-5 each of the last four years after seeming to luck into some Manziel magic his first couple years. That said, those records were compiled in the SEC West, and he's just about the last guy I would want Arizona to hire.

I agree about Sumlin being a good hire for Arizona. He is the one I would have wanted us to go after if Leach had left. I am really surprised he wasn’t hired with all the vacancies that occurred.

I thought he was a slam dunk for ASU, but ASU...uh...did what ASU does.

Texas Tech just paid Sumlin about 10.4 million to go away, so I doubt he is in any hurry to take a job, unless it's the right job. Arizona football will always be 2nd to Arizona basketball, does that appeal to him? I don't know guess time will tell.

Texas Tech just paid Sumlin about 10.4 million to go away, so I doubt he is in any hurry to take a job, unless it's the right job. Arizona football will always be 2nd to Arizona basketball, does that appeal to him? I don't know guess time will tell.

Texas A&M.

Sumlin and UA will be visiting Pullman this November which is 10 years after he would've been coaching WSU if De Facto AD Jim Walden & his assistant Jim Sterk hadn't decided to splurge on the excellent elegance of 9-40 football.

I get what you are saying but the good outcome from Wulff is we got Leach......who I believe to be a better coach than Sumlin.

Reactions: Tx64
The thing that we need a few years to see is how well Sumlin will recruit at UA...which is a much different proposition than recruiting at either Houston or A&M. Given his history and ties, I'd expect him to give at least equal attention (at least at first) to Texas recruiting as opposed to SoCal. It will be really interesting to see where the assistants that he hires come from. Most of the guys he has worked with are from 2 or 3 time zones away from the Pacific Ocean. It would be smart to get at least a couple of guys with SoCal recruiting experience, because it might be hard to succeed on just Texas, NM and AZ recruiting. Sure, there are a lot of athletes in Texas, but the UA program visibility is a lot less there than on the west coast. It may not be impossible to succeed in the PAC without successfully recruiting SoCal, but it is a pretty long and steep road. And unfortunately, Manziel's issues have somewhat degraded that calling card in recruit's living rooms. I'm not sure whether his record at A&M was more to do with coaching or more to do with recruiting...opinion seems to be divided on that one.

The thing that we need a few years to see is how well Sumlin will recruit at UA...which is a much different proposition than recruiting at either Houston or A&M. Given his history and ties, I'd expect him to give at least equal attention (at least at first) to Texas recruiting as opposed to SoCal. It will be really interesting to see where the assistants that he hires come from. Most of the guys he has worked with are from 2 or 3 time zones away from the Pacific Ocean. It would be smart to get at least a couple of guys with SoCal recruiting experience, because it might be hard to succeed on just Texas, NM and AZ recruiting. Sure, there are a lot of athletes in Texas, but the UA program visibility is a lot less there than on the west coast. It may not be impossible to succeed in the PAC without successfully recruiting SoCal, but it is a pretty long and steep road. And unfortunately, Manziel's issues have somewhat degraded that calling card in recruit's living rooms. I'm not sure whether his record at A&M was more to do with coaching or more to do with recruiting...opinion seems to be divided on that one.

The “floor” at A&M, because of the resources and recruiting advantages would certainly be higher than UA.

The QB situation after Manziel left was interesting. Maybe it had more to do with development than identifying talent.

The “floor” at A&M, because of the resources and recruiting advantages would certainly be higher than UA.

The QB situation after Manziel left was interesting. Maybe it had more to do with development than identifying talent.

Discipline dropped off with Manziel. Several quarterbacks and others left because of an assistant. Recruiting was excellent.

Tx, you probably know a lot more about Sumlin's A&M experience than I. If an assistant coach was so corrosive that he ran off a bunch of good recruits, does that suggest that Sumlin can't manage a staff? Or was he distracted? Or is he just incredibly hands off? Or maybe he is loyal to his assistants to his own detriment (sort of like Dennis Erickson)? All I know about him is that his Houston teams did well, which suggests that he can evaluate talent and was at least adequate with x's and o's...and that post-Manziel he seemed to have a lot of issues.

Sumlin and UA will be visiting Pullman this November which is 10 years after he would've been coaching WSU if De Facto AD Jim Walden & his assistant Jim Sterk hadn't decided to splurge on the excellent elegance of 9-40 football.

Hater.

Tx, you probably know a lot more about Sumlin's A&M experience than I. If an assistant coach was so corrosive that he ran off a bunch of good recruits, does that suggest that Sumlin can't manage a staff? Or was he distracted? Or is he just incredibly hands off? Or maybe he is loyal to his assistants to his own detriment (sort of like Dennis Erickson)? All I know about him is that his Houston teams did well, which suggests that he can evaluate talent and was at least adequate with x's and o's...and that post-Manziel he seemed to have a lot of issues.

His problems happened post-Manziel. The assistant was post stuff on social media that did not sit well with some of the players. I do not know what happened to that assistant. I did not follow it that closely. I took notice as they were losing quarterbacks all at once. He had lost his offensive coordinator to Texas Tech. I would think Sumlin is a slam dunk hire for Arizona. I did not think they would come together on money. Sumlin was spoiled at A&M financially. I think he got a raw deal at A&M, just as Strong got one at Texas. Some coaches get a shorter leash than others. Both were the first African American coaches at those schools. I though they were great coaches heading in the right direction. Certainly their recruiting was stronger than they had previously. Sumlin was having to rein in his team after Manziel. His leaving early was a blessing.

I'm actually thrilled to see Sumlin at Arizona. I will not be surprised to see Arizona compete for the south title this year with him as coach. He has shown that he knows how to make the most out of outstanding QB talent that he inherits and both Case Keenum at Houston and Johnny Manziel at A&M were outstanding with Sumlin's leadership. The thing is, it doesn't appear that he can do anything special if he doesn't have a phenomenal QB to run the show. In 2010, with Keenum injured, Houston regressed to 5-7. After one outstanding year with Manziel, Texas A&M began a gradual slide towards mediocrity with Sumlin getting fired after a 7-5 finish last year. Over time, his teams got weaker defensively and more prone to struggles against mediocre competition. There was article criticizing A&M for firing Sumlin but when I look at what he did at A&M, it's no surprise that he got canned.

I see him winning 10 games in 2018 with Khalil Tate as QB. If Tate leaves after 2018....don't be surprised to see Arizona immediately regress to the 6 to 8 win category that they've lived in for the past 10 years. Regardless of coach, they haven't been afraid to drop down to 3 or 4 wins in a season every five years or so, so don't be surprised to see that with Sumlin either. Sumlin looks to be the kind of middle of the run coach that will lead a school to just about the same number of wins that they've always had. Not worried about him at all........after 2018. I think he will look great this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT