ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Linebackers

TrumpCoug

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2019
In the video with Chaz, AB and Jmac, SuperDave said they would be looking to sign 1 inside LB. We are paper thin here and IMO need at least 2 HS recruits to sign in Feb.

Seniors
Justus Rogers (garbage, can't tackle, takes bad angles, slower than molasses)
Jahad Woods (Got better as the season progressed, still to many arm tackles)
Dillon Sherman (may get a medical redshirt, not very fast)

Juniors
None on Roster

Sophmore
Travion Brown (Stud, should be starting opposite Woods next year)
Hank Pladson (looks small and slow)
Ricky Baker (?)

Freshman
Rocky Katogana (Big LB, not a big enough sample size to determine if he will contribute next year)
Peni Laulu (Once he learns the playbook he will be a contributor)

In the video with Chaz, AB and Jmac, SuperDave said they would be looking to sign 1 inside LB. We are paper thin here and IMO need at least 2 HS recruits to sign in Feb.

Seniors

Juniors
None on Roster

Sophmore
Ricky Baker (?)

Freshman
Rocky Katogana (Big LB, not a big enough sample size to determine if he will contribute next year)
Was thinking the same thing. Bummer not seeing one inked, it’s a position of need for sure. JC route?

I look at Kansas State and Iowa , they always have small town kids who wind up great inside linebackers 6-1/6-2 230-235 just hard nosed tackling machines. Not 4.4 speed rushers , just really good football players.

I don't think we are targeting this position right. These kind of players are out there.

I'd start my list with every in-state inside LBer Iowa and Wisconsin recruited/offered. A couple would have been recruited over and wind up at Iowa State or UNI.

Last edited:
Reactions: roses04
In reading my LA Times sports section this morning, most of it was focused on Helton's last place recruiting class. Helton defended himself by noting that SC's biggest needs were in the trenches, and almost every kid he signed was a lineman. The much smaller article on UCLA did not offer nearly as much commentary, but you could not help but count the number of LB's. My memory is that Kelly signed seven (yes, 7) LB's. Kelly's comments on his class were that LB was where he was weakest.

I'll add that when you are short on LB's you are also short on kick coverage groups, because traditionally those groups are mostly LB's and safeties. Our being paper thin (quoting TrumpCoug) at LB doesn't just weaken the D, it also weakens some of the special teams.

Seniors

Juniors
None on Roster

Sophmore
Ricky Baker (?)

Freshman
Another plug for Clayton White - he plays a 4-2-5, so our lack of LB depth won’t hurt his system too much. Of course our lack of DL and DB depth still would.

I look at Kansas State and Iowa , they always have small town kids who wind up great inside linebackers 6-1/6-2 230-235 just hard nosed tackling machines. Not 4.4 speed rushers , just really good football players.

I don't think we are targeting this position right. These kind of players are out there.

I'd start my list with every in-state inside LBer Iowa and Wisconsin recruited/offered. A couple would have been recruited over and wind up at Iowa State or UNI.

Will Derting

Another plug for Clayton White - he plays a 4-2-5, so our lack of LB depth won’t hurt his system too much. Of course our lack of DL and DB depth still would.

How his scheme uses DL could be an issue. The DL they have now arent guys taking on blocks head up. Theyre running thru gaps. It isnt the same style of player and not every kid can do both.

If WSU goes from the speed D to the muscle D, it could get worse before it gets better.

Good coaches do what the kids can do.

Reactions: random soul
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT