ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting idea of sometimes playing ...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Nnamdi Oguayo inside Mata'afa-like to disrupt. He's actually bigger and probably just as strong, given that he's been playing longer in college longer than Hercules did. Of course, what if Mata'afa had returned for his senior season?

Herc was probably stronger than Nnamdi, even though he was smaller, and possessed a freakish sense of leverage. I do like the idea of Nnamdi sliding inside though, especially on passing downs. Similar to Will Rodgers playing nose in certain situations last year.

Herc was probably stronger than Nnamdi, even though he was smaller, and possessed a freakish sense of leverage. I do like the idea of Nnamdi sliding inside though, especially on passing downs. Similar to Will Rodgers playing nose in certain situations last year.

It's been happening since 2015. The pass rush package (Vaeao, Hercules and Paulo all lined up inside) became the base defense when Hercules could hold his ground. It was his burst off the line that was freakish.

It's been happening since 2015. The pass rush package (Vaeao, Hercules and Paulo all lined up inside) became the base defense when Hercules could hold his ground. It was his burst off the line that was freakish.
I remember ML saying that Herc had more football strength than weight room strength. His leverage was freaky as well as his ability to react.

I remember ML saying that Herc had more football strength than weight room strength. His leverage was freaky as well as his ability to react.

This...

Zero fear and pure, competitive aggression. He was able to maximize his mental/physical state on the field. Some have it naturally, like Herc, others find it by continued weight lifting, and some never find it.

Herc's get off is on a different level than Nnamdis. Not sure if Oguayo will ever play that much. Just not good against the run at all, his gap discipline isnt sound. Phelps is big on gap discipline.

Herc's get off is on a different level than Nnamdis. Not sure if Oguayo will ever play that much. Just not good against the run at all, his gap discipline isnt sound. Phelps is big on gap discipline.

Your point is well taken, but it is Phelps who is espousing Oguayo's potential inside. At 255, he'll never be inside every down, but he could slide there at times. There was a time when a 255-pound Leon Bender destroyed the UW o-line (1994). His insertion into that game allowed Don Sasa to move to d-end where he dominated the husky tackle and TE (Mark Bruener).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT