ADVERTISEMENT

Is Minshew done?

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2022
Benched in favor of O'Connell, who despite having a pretty good stat line (27-40, 1 TD, one int), lost 32-13 today.

Minshew's pick-6 last week effectively lost that game, overthrowing his receiver who would probably have scored. 14-point swing. Then another pick later. Totally reminded me of Jeff Tuel's ill-fated pick six (I can't remember who he was playing for or against). It effectively ended his pro career. Shitty play call BTW. He could have been something. UDF starting his first (and last?) game.

So we shall see. Luckily for him he has $15M guaranteed. Gardner is a smart guy, I'm sure he is set for life.

It was kind of shocking. The Raiders were up 10-0 and Minshew had a long TD pass already and driving to go up by 3 scores in the first quarter. And an hour or two later he is benched and the Raiders are getting whipped. He is a survivor and is both young and experienced as a back-up and starter in a lot of difficult spots. I predict he will be around for years and years. Probably always with crappy teams and backing up high first round picks. But it is a pretty sweet job.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
He might hang on for a while as a backup, but I don’t think he’s going to get another starting job. This is probably his big contract too.

He’s coming up on 30, which isn’t the death knell for QBs that it is for running backs, but he hasn’t established himself as a reliable starter, so he probably won’t be. He has some value as a veteran and as a locker room presence, but teams are only going to pay so much for that….and it’s likely not going to be the teams in the top half.

He might hang on for a while as a backup, but I don’t think he’s going to get another starting job. This is probably his big contract too.

He’s coming up on 30, which isn’t the death knell for QBs that it is for running backs, but he hasn’t established himself as a reliable starter, so he probably won’t be. He has some value as a veteran and as a locker room presence, but teams are only going to pay so much for that….and it’s likely not going to be the teams in the top half.
He is and always has been a back up qb. A starter goes down he can play for a game maybe two to keep things a float.

Reactions: Coug90
He is and always has been a back up qb. A starter goes down he can play for a game maybe two to keep things a float.
Yeah, he’s between Ryan Fitzpatrick and Charlie Whitehurst. Not quite a legit starter but a guy you can plug in who can win you some games…and…on an elite roster could take a team to the playoffs. Unfortunately he’s been nowhere near an elite roster.

While I've finally given up on GM ever being a legitimate starter in the league, the Raider's HC is straight toxic. I have zero doubts that he's already lost a good portion of the locker room. GM can only pray he gets traded anywhere else.

Reactions: ATACFD and Coug90
For two years, $15million guaranteed, I’d stand on the sidelines with my ex wife and hold a clipboard.

Minshew has the best job in the world.
This is also true. He’s living his best life really. Only job better is probably a PGA tour pro or what Tom Brady is doing right now. And with his flair Minshew will probably make more money broadcasting games when he hangs up his cleats.

This is also true. He’s living his best life really. Only job better is probably a PGA tour pro or what Tom Brady is doing right now. And with his flair Minshew will probably make more money broadcasting games when he hangs up his cleats.
I think he'll get into coaching.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Yeah, he’s between Ryan Fitzpatrick and Charlie Whitehurst. Not quite a legit starter but a guy you can plug in who can win you some games…and…on an elite roster could take a team to the playoffs. Unfortunately he’s been nowhere near an elite roster.
Closest he came to an elite roster was when he filled in for Hurts against the Jets. He went 20/25 for 242 yards and two touchdowns, and they won 33–18 finish. That's the game that resulted in the video of him and his dad pushing each other in the tunnel afterward...and is probably the game that got him a contract with the Colts.

It's possible his next deal could put him on a team that has some talent on the roster. And, it's possible that whoever their starter is will go down and give him another shot at leading a team that has a shot. But, I think it's more likely that he goes to another team that is drafting a QB, to act as placeholder and coach-on-the-field until the rookie is ready.

And I think it's only a matter of time until he's coaching. Not sure I see him in the broadcast booth. Although I'd be delighted to see him replace McAfee.

Reactions: Coug90 and M-I-Coug
Closest he came to an elite roster was when he filled in for Hurts against the Jets. He went 20/25 for 242 yards and two touchdowns, and they won 33–18 finish. That's the game that resulted in the video of him and his dad pushing each other in the tunnel afterward...and is probably the game that got him a contract with the Colts.

It's possible his next deal could put him on a team that has some talent on the roster. And, it's possible that whoever their starter is will go down and give him another shot at leading a team that has a shot. But, I think it's more likely that he goes to another team that is drafting a QB, to act as placeholder and coach-on-the-field until the rookie is ready.

And I think it's only a matter of time until he's coaching. Not sure I see him in the broadcast booth. Although I'd be delighted to see him replace McAfee.
Brady and Romo both suck hind tit. Can’t believe they are paying those guys truckloads of money to suck when people will watch no matter what.

Can’t wait till they give you the option to listen to your favorite announcers with AI. It’s coming. Every Coug game I watch I’m paying extra to hear Keith Jackson and Bob Griese on the call. So worth it.

Brady and Romo both suck hind tit. Can’t believe they are paying those guys truckloads of money to suck when people will watch no matter what.

Can’t wait till they give you the option to listen to your favorite announcers with AI. It’s coming. Every Coug game I watch I’m paying extra to hear Keith Jackson and Bob Griese on the call. So worth it.
If they can get the AI dialed in that well, shouldn't we just automatically make it Keith Jackson and Bob Robertson, with Glenn Johnson on the sideline?

To be fair, I like Brink on the radio (after 2 games now, I've decided I don't like the new guy either), and Bumpus is a decent color guy.

He really did a nice job last year with the Colts with very low expectations, and they were literally one dropped pass from the play-offs. I could see that sort of situation again- maybe even with the Raiders down the road.

That's why he was heading to Bama to hold a clipboard.
I know that. I’m not saying his coaching future is no longer, but he wasn’t a multimillionaire at the time he was planning to start as a GA and coach. Coaching is a hard life. His plans may change. I could see him being like fitzmagic since he’s got a great personality and has become a bit of a cult hero and spend the next part of his career in the studio.

Tired Over It GIF by Jonas Mosesson

He really did a nice job last year with the Colts with very low expectations, and they were literally one dropped pass from the play-offs. I could see that sort of situation again- maybe even with the Raiders down the road.
I thought his year with the Colts was a nice demonstration of what he could do. They weren't exactly an offense loaded with talent, but with him they went from the #4 pick to just missing the playoffs.

The Raiders are so bad, and so badly coached, that he may have been better off taking a smaller offer in exchange for a better situation. Not sure what offers he had though, and maybe he just wanted the payday as a springboard to whatever's next.

Plus, he is just one play away from going back in. Its so rare now for any starting QB to get through the whole season without an injury. The Raiders just traded away a quality WR and given the way the season is going will be playing from behind a lot. Whoever is playing QB can expect a lot of pass rush and a lot of hits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT