ADVERTISEMENT

It’s official: McCoy is AD

Congratulations to Mrs, McCoy.

I wonder if she'll take the reins from Dr. Schulz (if she hasn't already) and assume the lead on the Pac-12 expansion strategy?

Biggs or anybody else know if she will be the type to prioritize football and NIL or she is more of one to share the nest egg with the non-revenue sports?

Most of the folks over at Brand X seem to fall somewhere between cautiously optimistic and convinced Dr. Schulz nailed the hire.

So that's encouraging

Reactions: kougkurt
As expected, longevity is more important than accomplishment.

Link
Can't say I am the least bit surprised. She will be eaten alive by other AD's is my always humble and usually correct prediction. So, let's see who she gets rid of first. Given all the trumpeting and accolades, it would appear that she is the only administrator Athletics needs. Time to clean house.

And of course the usual suspects all laud her hire. Funny that I haven't read from one current coach. Wonder if Sgt. Schulz even talked to any of them during this non-process process. I am disappointed that there appears to have been not even an inkling of a search or net casting at all. Schulz sucks.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
I've been in a few situations where I had to pick between the known quantity who looked like they could do the job but had never had to be the primary name, vs. some fine resumes from folks who looked & sounded flashier and in fact may have had more to offer. Ultimately I ended up better with the known quantity more often.

I have no inside info, but I'm prepared to consider this a good choice in turbulent times. How good a fighter she is we will have to see. There is more than one way to stage a fight. If she gets something more out of the state government and can keep us looking relevant on the national stage, I'll probably feel that she has met expectations.

Why so?

A lot of WSU coaches past and present seem to think highly of her
Oh? Which present coaches think highly of her? I don't see one current coach quoted.......

Edit - and hey Anne - what do you have planned for the WSU/TT game in 2+ months? What a golden marketing/PR opportunity to honor Leach and draw media/fan interest.

Last edited:
Can't say I am the least bit surprised. She will be eaten alive by other AD's is my always humble and usually correct prediction. So, let's see who she gets rid of first. Given all the trumpeting and accolades, it would appear that she is the only administrator Athletics needs. Time to clean house.

And of course the usual suspects all laud her hire. Funny that I haven't read from one current coach. Wonder if Sgt. Schulz even talked to any of them during this non-process process. I am disappointed that there appears to have been not even an inkling of a search or net casting at all. Schulz sucks.
With a new university president coming in, her tenure may be short.

Not surprised. WSU is known for “going cheap”. That is not to say she isn’t a very nice person. It just seems the norm at this school. However, it seems doubtful that highly qualified people would be looking to join a sinking conference, without much direction and that would have shrunken the pool even more for highly thought of applicants. I’m willing to give her a chance, with a short leash at this point.

Not surprised. WSU is known for “going cheap”. That is not to say she isn’t a very nice person. It just seems the norm at this school. However, it seems doubtful that highly qualified people would be looking to join a sinking conference, without much direction and that would have shrunken the pool even more for highly thought of applicants. I’m willing to give her a chance, with a short leash at this point.
Well you have your first taste of her with a milquetoast Brand X "10 questions" interview just posted.

2. "Still operating at a Power 5 level", even with an $11 million budget cut? We were already the lowest-revenue P5 school.
3. Season tickets - "Our season ticket sales are on par, percentage-wise with where we would have been last year at this time." What is she even saying here? Where we would have been last year? WTF? And beer sales? She's just "getting up to speed" with an issue that's been around for 10 years?
5 and 7 - I can't even deal with it. Her answer to 7 is a joke. We've already approved $10M for FY24 and budget $30M for FY25 out of the windfall. Wow, just wow on her non-answer.

Get used to it guys.

Well you have your first taste of her with a milquetoast Brand X "10 questions" interview just posted.

2. "Still operating at a Power 5 level", even with an $11 million budget cut? We were already the lowest-revenue P5 school.
3. Season tickets - "Our season ticket sales are on par, percentage-wise with where we would have been last year at this time." What is she even saying here? Where we would have been last year? WTF? And beer sales? She's just "getting up to speed" with an issue that's been around for 10 years?
5 and 7 - I can't even deal with it. Her answer to 7 is a joke. We've already approved $10M for FY24 and budget $30M for FY25 out of the windfall. Wow, just wow on her non-answer.

Get used to it guys.
My interpretations of the season tickets and conference distribution answers:

- Last year season ticket sales in June were 75% (number pulled directly out of the air) of what they were in June 2022. And now, they're 75% of what they were last year. So, they're on par, percentage-wise. [This is a crafty way of saying that they're way down from 2 years ago]
- We'll get money from the conference, and we can use it. But we don't know how much or when we'll get it.

I think we missed an opportunity here. The money coming in from the conference settlement should allow us to throw a pile at someone who wouldn't be interested based on everything else. The highest paid AD in the country appears to be Texas' Chris del Conte at $2.85M. Chun was making around $900K at the end.

We could have easily used payout money to bump our salary to $2.5M and draw some qualified candidates. And, we could have easily set it up to provide major bonuses for getting us back to a power conference, back into playoff distributions, increasing donation revenue, and reaching milestones in NIL.

This was a missed opportunity to look for an established leader and to show that we're serious about keeping a seat at the table.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
My interpretations of the season tickets and conference distribution answers:

- Last year season ticket sales in June were 75% (number pulled directly out of the air) of what they were in June 2022. And now, they're 75% of what they were last year. So, they're on par, percentage-wise. [This is a crafty way of saying that they're way down from 2 years ago]
- We'll get money from the conference, and we can use it. But we don't know how much or when we'll get it.
Typical doublespeak (borderline lie) on season tickets. Her 23 years her trained allright. What a shit answer anyway. If she doesn't know exactly how many have been sold, then I gues she really isn't running the day to day operations, is she?
Same with conference money. The last Wednesday of the year? we should know damn good and well where we are, and the $10M and $30M that I pointed to are documented in Board of Regents meetings - documents presented by her!!!

I think we missed an opportunity here. The money coming in from the conference settlement should allow us to throw a pile at someone who wouldn't be interested based on everything else. The highest paid AD in the country appears to be Texas' Chris del Conte at $2.85M. Chun was making around $900K at the end.

We could have easily used payout money to bump our salary to $2.5M and draw some qualified candidates. And, we could have easily set it up to provide major bonuses for getting us back to a power conference, back into playoff distributions, increasing donation revenue, and reaching milestones in NIL.

This was a missed opportunity to look for an established leader and to show that we're serious about keeping a seat at the table.
Well I like your take but $2.5 million is wayyyy out of the ballpark. Now Chun money for, say, John David Wicker at SDSU? I could buy off on that. You know he and del Conte were both Cougs (employees not graduates).

Typical doublespeak (borderline lie) on season tickets. Her 23 years her trained allright. What a shit answer anyway. If she doesn't know exactly how many have been sold, then I gues she really isn't running the day to day operations, is she?
Same with conference money. The last Wednesday of the year? we should know damn good and well where we are, and the $10M and $30M that I pointed to are documented in Board of Regents meetings - documents presented by her!!!

Being new to this level of spotlight, maybe Mrs. McCoy didn't have the numbers in front her and got caught off-guard?

Those things happen sometimes, especially when someone is just settling into an elevated role.

Dr. Schultz is high on her and Brand X is high on her (haven't checked Brands Y and Z yet).

Hopefully they all know what they're talking about

Being new to this level of spotlight, maybe Mrs. McCoy didn't have the numbers in front her and got caught off-guard?

Those things happen sometimes, especially when someone is just settling into an elevated role.

Dr. Schultz is high on her and Brand X is high on her (haven't checked Brands Y and Z yet).

Hopefully they all know what they're talking about
Oh Pete, give it a rest. I thought she was in charge of the day-to-day operation of the entire Athletics operation while Chun was still there? She came to WSU as the Finance Director/CFO whatever 23 years ago. But now she doesn't have the numbers in front of her and gets caught off guard after her stellar interim period? It just shows that all the BS about how great and "uniquely qualified" she is was a complete pile of horseshit. She will do F-ing nothing but sit around and watch the world pass us by, which it already pretty much has.

And Sgt Schulz being high on anyone is like strike 1 and 2 in my book. Name one high level administrative decision or hire that he has made as President that wasn't mediocre or just plain shit. Provosts? Chancellors? Chun? Moving to the Tri-Cities?

And F Brand X. Butt-kissing cheerleaders looking for continued access to the AD.

The WSU admin doesnt want to win. They are committed to being average or bad. They will not do what it takes to be successful.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
Zero vision.

WSU has no standards. There is no bare minimum requirement. Everything is negotiated away. Excuses made. Explanations given. Oh that’s ok. Next year!!!

When it matters most. When the money is on the line. They hired someone with this little experience? GTFO.

This hire was the equivilent of staying at a Holiday Inn last night.

I hope she can do it. But as Rick Neuheisal said, “hope isn’t a strategy for success.”

WSU fails at the top. Again.

Oh? Which present coaches think highly of her? I don't see one current coach quoted.......

Edit - and hey Anne - what do you have planned for the WSU/TT game in 2+ months? What a golden marketing/PR opportunity to honor Leach and draw media/fan interest.
What would you expect a current coach to say about their new boss in the media? Zero reason to ask any of them.

WSU has no standards. There is no bare minimum requirement. Everything is negotiated away. Excuses made. Explanations given. Oh that’s ok. Next year!!!

When it matters most. When the money is on the line. They hired someone with this little experience? GTFO.

This hire was the equivilent of staying at a Holiday Inn last night.

I hope she can do it. But as Rick Neuheisal said, “hope isn’t a strategy for success.”

WSU fails at the top. Again.
Yep. WSU always decides for "it's just enough" approach. You need visionaries.

Hope she can do it as well, and prove me wrong.

This is/was a budget hire by Schulz. The more I reflect on her comments, the more that I am convinced she sold herself that she's seen WSU athletics operate successfully with less resources. Schulz needs someone to make cuts, and I think this is his person. Jim Sterk brought her on and Jim Sterk was the ultimate penny pincher and it put our program back a decade. Like it or not, we need to get our head's wrapped around this new era of WSU athletics and I don't like this hire at all. We need someone who was SUCCESSFUL at a mid-major with a smaller budget.

Floyd
Moos
Leach

to

Schitz
Chunk/New woman
RoloTurd/Dickfore

The drop in leadership and talent is huge.

Hopefully the new basketball coach from EWU will be able to build upon and surpass Kyle Smith.

Getting the rivalry re-established with Gonzaga should be a good thing

Do visions result in more money?
Well maybe.
Here's my thing. If I was in that seat for the announcement and 10 question interview, I would have projected energy, confidence and some actual facts when asked directly about thing like budgets and money and conferences and season tickets. Good news or bad. "Our #1 priority is to get our future conference determined and set into motion". Not "just stability, positivity, and excitement". Or her comment about the two year window: "I think ideally we really would know more by this time next year". WTF does that even mean?

I read the 10 question interview again. She didn't really answer anything. Wishy-washy, almost evasive answers. And the CAF keeps asking me to rejoin by June 30? I was going to. But now I think I'll pass. Not that my $100 would cure any ills.....

Well maybe.
Here's my thing. If I was in that seat for the announcement and 10 question interview, I would have projected energy, confidence and some actual facts when asked directly about thing like budgets and money and conferences and season tickets. Good news or bad. "Our #1 priority is to get our future conference determined and set into motion". Not "just stability, positivity, and excitement". Or her comment about the two year window: "I think ideally we really would know more by this time next year". WTF does that even mean?

I read the 10 question interview again. She didn't really answer anything. Wishy-washy, almost evasive answers. And the CAF keeps asking me to rejoin by June 30? I was going to. But now I think I'll pass. Not that my $100 would cure any ills.....

In Mrs. McCoy's defense, Dr. Schulz may have told her stay very bland and avoid any specifics in her dealings with the press corps.

As quiet as things have been, the Pac-2 may be ready to launch more lawsuits on Kliatkuff, Larry Scott and the 10 schools that left like thieves in the middle of the night

In Mrs. McCoy's defense, Dr. Schulz may have told her stay very bland and avoid any specifics in her dealings with the press corps.

As quiet as things have been, the Pac-2 may be ready to launch more lawsuits on Kliatkuff, Larry Scott and the 10 schools that left like thieves in the middle of the night
I suspect we are under various non-disclosure agreements about potential landing spots in other conferences if that is at play. I'm not too worried about the lack of color in this regard.

Reactions: PeteTheChop

Blandness wasn't a directive from Schulz. Look at her career. Blandness. Nothing notable other than its length. No particular accomplishments. This is someone who avoids risks and doesn't rock the boat - not someone who makes bold decisions and sets a direction.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Well maybe.

I really liked the one that said "I think we'd like to have things pretty much decided a year from now."

Um....duh....

Blandness wasn't a directive from Schulz. Look at her career. Blandness. Nothing notable other than its length. No particular accomplishments. This is someone who avoids risks and doesn't rock the boat - not someone who makes bold decisions and sets a direction.

Well then hopefully she's well-connected from her 20 years working alongside three prominent ADs.

As the old saying goes: "It's not what you know, lt's who you know."

Maybe Ann can open some doors in the Big 12 or ACC?

Well then hopefully she's well-connected from her 20 years working alongside three prominent ADs.

As the old saying goes: "It's not what you know, lt's who you know."

Maybe Ann can open some doors in the Big 12 or ACC?
Pete - just stop it. She can't open any doors. There are reasons why NONE of your "prominent" AD's took with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT