ADVERTISEMENT

It's AC Week

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
Why do I feel that the masses aren't jacked, as much as they have in the past? I know it's early, and the hype hasn't really started, but why do I feel that for some reason, people don't care as much as they used to?

If you live in the Seattle area, you'll notice in the past three years, our corporate job centers, (Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft) have brought in thousands of employees from out of state. BTW, we actually lead the nation in jobs. Do the new folks to our area care? No. It's a different world now. The perception of our in state rival to me, isn't as big as it was just a couple of years ago. Maybe I'm wrong?

You always hear that Oregon and Oregon State are also northwest rivals. Twenty years ago, there was no such talk. The UW rival is Washington State, not Oregon.

I suppose if we were 8-3, instead of 3-8, the hype and and noise would be there. It just seems different this year? Any why does UW play 13 games this year, and we have 12? Anyone?

1. UW's rival is Oregon

2. we have 3 wins in year 3

just my guesses

and...

3. Any team that plays a regular season game @ Hawaii can petition to schedule an additional game.

Originally posted by chinookpirate:

1. UW's rival is Oregon

2. we have 3 wins in year 3

just my guesses

and...

3. Any team that plays a regular season game @ Hawaii can petition to schedule an additional game.
Agreed.

I don't know, its the same as its always been.

When UW is winning and they beat us, the AC is the biggest game ever and they just stomped their "rival".

When UW is inconsequential, so is the AC. Hence, the reason why the AC has been irrelevant for "them" (looking at you, Seattle media) for the past 20 years.

I felt like last year there was more hype. We were bowl eligible and fighting for a better bowl, and they were bowl eligible and looking at what could be--and what did end up--a decent 9-win season.

This year, dropping our first 2 games--OOC games, no less--took a lot of the wind out of our sails. Then going 3-6 in your next games, and not being bowl eligible, doesn't help.

I also think UW thought they would be further along with CCP--after all, the best coach in the world(TM) was going to lead them back to the Don James Promised Land. Turns out CP struggled more than they thought, despite having probably 4 NFL draft choices on defense alone.

So I don't think they were "jacked" last year, but the fact that both teams had been relatively successful helped a lot. This year we're garbage again, and they're way behind where they thought they would be.

As the week progresses, I think the fans will get into the game. Hopefully the stands are full for a great game. Plenty of recruits in town.

We have 3 wins. Despite the media always saying AC is WSUs 'Bowl game' and can salvage a bad season those days have been gone a long time. It's still an important game we want to win but it doesn't change missing a bowl game. People will get up as the week goes on but the collective ho hum isn't necessarily a bad sign.

It's only a rivalry if you can beat your rival. Oregon has won, what, 10 years running? Whatever it is, they have no real rivalry with Oregon.

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:
It's only a rivalry if you can beat your rival. Oregon has won, what, 10 years running? Whatever it is, they have no real rivalry with Oregon.
Now it's 11 years, I believe.
smile.r191677.gif

Udub like many other teams scattered across the nation is just another average football team, who forgot to tell the Seattle media about this?? It's only a big game when the Seattle media deems it a big game.

UW is another average football team trying to copy Oregon, but without the winning part.

I am the least excited for this AC as any in the past.

UW is not what it was...it is just another conference program in many ways. Not the imposing one of so long ago. It's kind of like playing UCLA in basketball. They used to have an aura about them whenever they came to Pullman to play us. That aura is so long gone...just like UW in football.

Do I want to win? Absolutely, but it's not the game it used to be for me.

I have still have my rival wins Tee-shirts, one from 1982 and one from 1983. They look pretty good.....only I wish I could still fit inside them easily!!

The Oregon/Beaver rivalry is not that fierce in my point of view. I lived in Portland for 5 years and have many Duck & Beav friends. Whenever I am with them or talking to them on the phone, they have no problem pulling for the 'other Oregon school' when their team isn't playing. Is that really a rivalry when you want the other school to win games, except against your school. I say, NO WAY!

As a Coug fan I NEVER want to see the huskies beat any team. I love seeing them lose.... to the devil with conference alligence! Any Saturday afternoon is automatically made better when I see that the huskies have lost to someone!
Coug fans normally never want UW to win games, at any time. They suck! They are not liked in any way.

We need an NCAA football championship in Seattle and Eugene about as much as we need a hole in the head!

The Seahawks emergence has taken a lot away from the Apple Cup excitement. Virtually every football fan in WA State has jumped on the 12th man bandwagon, and with their hugely anticipated game with the 49'ers tomorrow night, everyone's eyes are fixated on that game.

UW and WSU have both been down for a long time now, and the Hawks rise has filled the tailgaiting void.

This is really true.

I wonder how much the Sounders have impacted some of the younger fans (Millenials) as well?

This right here. There's a helluva lot of people who cheer for the local college team that didn't got to school there. The Seahawks are such big news now since their emergence to an NFL powerhouse, that most of these folks are thinking about Seahawks football when they wake up on Friday ...plus both teams haven't really been a factor for over a decade.

I'm still feeling it from those who are alums

The Seahawks emergence has taken a lot away from the Apple Cup excitement. Virtually every football fan in WA State has jumped on the 12th man bandwagon, and with their hugely anticipated game with the 49'ers tomorrow night, everyone's eyes are fixated on that game.

UW and WSU have both been down for a long time now, and the Hawks rise has filled the tailgaiting void.

The Blazers go for 10 straight when they host Memphis on Friday night. When its over I'll take a moment to think about the Apple Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT