ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Gesser for new 10th assistant?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Coached at the D-I level, including running the show as (interim) head coach for Idaho.

Been on campus the past 2.5 years, so he knows the "ins and outs" of the program and the current roster.

A lot of people have been calling for extra enthusiasm for big games like the Apple Cup and the Holiday Bowl.

Who better to fire up WSU players, fans and recruits than Jason Gesser?

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Well, we need something to provide enthusiasm for those big games....and you know Gesser won't be keeping an eye on another job while he's in Pullman. Maybe it's time to bring back at least one coach on the staff who has Cougar blood. Not a bad idea and I'd hope it would be considered.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Coached at the D-I level, including running the show as (interim) head coach for Idaho.

Been on campus the past 2.5 years, so he knows the "ins and outs" of the program and the current roster.

A lot of people have been calling for extra enthusiasm for big games like the Apple Cup and the Holiday Bowl.

Who better to fire up WSU players, fans and recruits than Jason Gesser?

I get that Gesser is beloved by WSU fans. But how about we go with someone that actually is coaching at the FBS level? Gesser decided to step away from coaching anyway.

Gesser just finished his MBA. He's angling for something besides the transient life of a football coach. He's got kids in grade school, apparently doing a good job in the athletic department and is well regarded by Coug Nation.

He gets his football fix without the hassle of recruiting teenage boys and their nutcase parents, he's got his broadcast gig which he's become fairly proficient at and a relatively secure spot in the athletic department. Wouldn't surprise me to see him learn a different angle from a new AD, then venture out in a couple years on his own to a smaller school with an eye on eventually coming back to Pullman.

No to Gesser, but I would be happy to see Leach add some of his WSU players to his graduate assistant coaching tree.

Gesser would be good for WSU in really most capacities, for all the good reasons listed above. No one loves WSU / Pullman more than Gess! His love and enthusiasm for WSU is unmatched.

Jason grabbed a job in the athletic department because he was not happy with the vagabond life of coaching and did not want that for his young family. That said, I think he would do a good job as a member of someone's coaching staff. Exactly where he would fit in with us is a question. Leach is the QB coach and unlikely to relinquish that role. Jason knows football and might make a good receivers coach and would be an excellent recruiter. I just do not see him as a good fit on the staff and doubt that he would want the job anyway. Love the guy but no.

Jason grabbed a job in the athletic department because he was not happy with the vagabond life of coaching and did not want that for his young family. That said, I think he would do a good job as a member of someone's coaching staff. Exactly where he would fit in with us is a question. Leach is the QB coach and unlikely to relinquish that role. Jason knows football and might make a good receivers coach and would be an excellent recruiter. I just do not see him as a good fit on the staff and doubt that he would want the job anyway. Love the guy but no.
Why not a good fit on the staff? Afraid of any words to the contrary? Is your opinion held so close that when it's proved wrong...your ego goes with it? Say what you want about Jason or Alex Brink....they didn't have a detachable penis.

Why not a good fit on the staff? Afraid of any words to the contrary? Is your opinion held so close that when it's proved wrong...your ego goes with it? Say what you want about Jason or Alex Brink....they didn't have a detachable penis.

Jason's expertise is the QB position and as long as CML is here then that is closed. Jason could be shifted to another responsibility but we might well be better off selecting someone with experience in that responsibility rather than have Jason learn the job from scratch. His selection as Idaho's interim HC tells me that he is well regarded by his peers and would eventually do well in any position. I just don't see CML wanting someone with no prior experience at the assigned responsibility. And I don't see any indication at this time that Gesser has any fire in the belly to return to coaching at this time. Therefore a poor or at least weak fit.

I've been wrong before and will be wrong again. I'm just not so sure that I am wrong on this issue. Ego? I watched the AC and the Holiday Bowl. My ego is rock bottom at this time. Feel free to disagree with me. I am used to it.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Jason's expertise is the QB position and as long as CML is here then that is closed. Jason could be shifted to another responsibility but we might well be better off selecting someone with experience in that responsibility rather than have Jason learn the job from scratch. His selection as Idaho's interim HC tells me that he is well regarded by his peers and would eventually do well in any position. I just don't see CML wanting someone with no prior experience at the assigned responsibility. And I don't see any indication at this time that Gesser has any fire in the belly to return to coaching at this time. Therefore a poor or at least weak fit.

I've been wrong before and will be wrong again. I'm just not so sure that I am wrong on this issue. Ego? I watched the AC and the Holiday Bowl. My ego is rock bottom at this time. Feel free to disagree with me. I am used to it.
Appointint the oline coach without prior coaching experience at the position. Just saying.

Why? Can he recruit?

Every time he gets behind a mic he recruits. He's a pretty good spokesman/recruiter in his current position, which provides stability for his family.
But, by whatever means available to you - genetic shortcomings considered - offer some reasons why you think he would or would not be an effective AC. Of course, that's a bit more challenging than tossing questions, banal as they are.

Appointint the oline coach without prior coaching experience at the position. Just saying.
That fact had occurred to me too. That position appointment was a bit different though. Leach spent much of his early years coaching the O-line and was there to give advice and coaching to Maguire. This will sound stupid and probably is and probably did not happen but it has occurred to me that Leach may have taken a look at what he had to work with on the O-line and realized that Rockne, Lombardy and Bear Bryant couldn't turn these guys into a force so it won't make any difference who I put in the spot. Next year is already toast but Maguire will get a year to learn.

I'm with Biggs, this is a stupid idea. If you want to bring in a decorated ex QB to be the 10th assistant, pony up to get Graham Harrell back. He knows this offense as well as anyone that's ever played in it at a high level, and he got results while he was here

Every time he gets behind a mic he recruits. He's a pretty good spokesman/recruiter in his current position, which provides stability for his family.
But, by whatever means available to you - genetic shortcomings considered - offer some reasons why you think he would or would not be an effective AC. Of course, that's a bit more challenging than tossing questions, banal as they are.
Hmmmm....I am guessing whatever shortcomings I may have doesnt include the need and desire to have various aliases. Interesting what a person from the Yakima, Sunnyside, Grandview area has to hide. Couldn't imagine the thrill it must be for you to be able to talk trash with Hoods permission, going against all the board rules. I will say I am in firm belief what goes around comes around.

And I didn't know Cougar radio had such a broad reach. I am sure most potential recruits go online and listen to him and say.."I feel connected". In terms of qualications I am pretty sure they matched Paul Velero and Clay McGuires when they were hired.

Have you ever asked Jason what he would do if Leach offered him a position?

And in terms of genes...I would be willing compare my families with yours. Who should we start with on your side?

He might be ok on the staff in some capacity, but as far as him being a catalyst to get the players jacked up I don't see it. Those kids don't give a S@#$ about him. I'm sure they would respect him as a former player but that's as far as it would go. It has to be someone with some juice that was significant at the next level for that. A name kids would recognize even if they never came to WSU. That's a pretty short list and he's not on it. Those kids don't see former players in the same light that us fans do unless they are historic level players. To them that means big time NFL names that they grew up watching on TV.

I think a former Leach player would make more sense having been in his system. I Loved Jason as a player but I'm just fine with flushing all the old Coug guard and moving forward. It was refreshing to break the incestuous cycle with the Leach hire. Let's face it. The past history is not all that great. There were some awesome moments and seasons sprinkled in there,but it was mostly crap football for decades. The only way to break out of that is to move on from it completely in my humble opinion. Sure keep traditions and uniforms and stuff like that, but former players and coaches coming back on staff no thanks unless they've proved their worth as coaches elsewhere. I like having them around the campus and the program in general.

Reactions: FnuLnu
I'm with Biggs, this is a stupid idea. If you want to bring in a decorated ex QB to be the 10th assistant, pony up to get Graham Harrell back. He knows this offense as well as anyone that's ever played in it at a high level, and he got results while he was here

Will that provide enough nostalgia?

Hmmmm....I am guessing whatever shortcomings I may have doesnt include the need and desire to have various aliases. Interesting what a person from the Yakima, Sunnyside, Grandview area has to hide. Couldn't imagine the thrill it must be for you to be able to talk trash with Hoods permission, going against all the board rules. I will say I am in firm belief what goes around comes around.

And I didn't know Cougar radio had such a broad reach. I am sure most potential recruits go online and listen to him and say.."I feel connected". In terms of qualications I am pretty sure they matched Paul Velero and Clay McGuires when they were hired.

Have you ever asked Jason what he would do if Leach offered him a position?

And in terms of genes...I would be willing compare my families with yours. Who should we start with on your side?

Gesser has no connection to the Air Raid. You know I, I know it, Gesser knows it.

Why do you want to hire someone as a coach who has decided not to coach anymore?

Gesser has no connection to the Air Raid. You know I, I know it, Gesser knows it.

Why do you want to hire someone as a coach who has decided not to coach anymore?

I am not saying to hire Gesser or not hire Gesser. If Gesser wanted to interview for the job, I would assume Leach would listen. There are many examples in the major sports of ex-players in the media coming out of the broadcast booth. Look at the World Champion Golden State Warriors and Steve Kerr.

If Gesser were hired, then Coach Leach believes he could do the job and that is enough for me. That Gesser didn't play in the Air Raid means nothing. He is a smart man and understands it now.

He might be ok on the staff in some capacity, but as far as him being a catalyst to get the players jacked up I don't see it. Those kids don't give a S@#$ about him. I'm sure they would respect him as a former player but that's as far as it would go. It has to be someone with some juice that was significant at the next level for that. A name kids would recognize even if they never came to WSU. That's a pretty short list and he's not on it. Those kids don't see former players in the same light that us fans do unless they are historic level players. To them that means big time NFL names that they grew up watching on TV.

I think a former Leach player would make more sense having been in his system. I Loved Jason as a player but I'm just fine with flushing all the old Coug guard and moving forward. It was refreshing to break the incestuous cycle with the Leach hire. Let's face it. The past history is not all that great. There were some awesome moments and seasons sprinkled in there,but it was mostly crap football for decades. The only way to break out of that is to move on from it completely in my humble opinion. Sure keep traditions and uniforms and stuff like that, but former players and coaches coming back on staff no thanks unless they've proved their worth as coaches elsewhere. I like having them around the campus and the program in general.
Do not disagree at all. Jason is enthusiastic and infectious in that regard but would not be a splash hire. Those potential hires on that list have to have done something outstanding and, more importantly, recently. The guys on the roster were peeing in the sandbox when Gesser was in his prime. Drew Bledsoe? Same age as dad. Jack Thompson? Grandpa. I cannot think of any possible "juice" hires that we could obtain. Very unlikely. I am, and we should be, content with CML and staff selecting someone capable now and with a high ceiling.

Someone suggested Harrell but I don't see that as realistic. Graham is, and perhaps I am wrong again, already the OC at North Texas. He is back in his home base of Texas and on the upward trajectory of coaching success. Why he would want to leave that and return to Pullman evades me. Maybe Phil Knight could make him an offer he couldn't refuse but we can't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT