ADVERTISEMENT

JC again football in the northwest?

froropmkr72

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
Would it be a legitimate proposal?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ege-football-end-after-2018-season/963334002/

Budgets at $2 mil a year but what teams are going to absorb all those talented JC teams in Pima and Maricopa County as well as any Cal division that calls it quits? Just a thought...but a 6 team league in the northwest looks good to me.

Bellevue, Whatcom, Clark, Spokane CC and maybe Portland and Lane CC.

Would it be a legitimate proposal?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ege-football-end-after-2018-season/963334002/

Budgets at $2 mil a year but what teams are going to absorb all those talented JC teams in Pima and Maricopa County as well as any Cal division that calls it quits? Just a thought...but a 6 team league in the northwest looks good to me.

Bellevue, Whatcom, Clark, Spokane CC and maybe Portland and Lane CC.
Wenatchee had a nice program for a long time. I know the fan base supports their semi pro team pretty well.

Great find Fro-Ro

JuCo football in WA used to be a really good deal with Walla Walla, Wenatchee, Yakima, Olympic and a few others.

Add a few teams in Oregon and Idaho and that could really pay dividends for the PNW's "Power 5" programs.

Spend some time with administrators at those places and you will learn that a football team is right down there at the bottom of any ‘to do’ list.

Spend some time with administrators at those places and you will learn that a football team is right down there at the bottom of any ‘to do’ list.
So true.
But Jean McGrath in that article is the type of higher Ed administrator that Jim Walden spent his whole career wooing.
"I won't leave. I won't be looking for a new job"
"I am not asking for a whole lotta money ma'am"
"I will clean up this program for you "

(Not to get too far into lookism, but she looks exactly like the type of person who raised the "Paul Wulff needs a 5th year" contingent here )

Obviously or they wouldn't of discontinued them . The numbers in the article don't jive with this website that maintains they only give $1950 in scholarship per player. 85 players at an average of $1950 would be $165750 per team.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/football.html

The obvious question is why does Cal have 68 team and Washington and Oregon combined have 30% the population and no teams whatsoever? Since Arizona is dropping 6 teams and the Cal teams have many kids from the Northwest....why not just keep them here with 6-8 teams. Another question is why have Oregon schools added football with like 100 plus on their roster if a football program isn't a good idea?

Great find Fro-Ro

JuCo football in WA used to be a really good deal with Walla Walla, Wenatchee, Yakima, Olympic and a few others.

Add a few teams in Oregon and Idaho and that could really pay dividends for the PNW's "Power 5" programs.
I was basing it on student population and how maybe the larger revenue could absorb a team. Ya, I used to watch those games at SFCC.

Would need some level of community support, IMO. A decent stadium, maybe even some media coverage (Root Sports), on maybe a Wednesday night. Give local JC football a spotlight.

Great find Fro-Ro

I played a couple years at WVC. Good times...once a Knight is enough.

Reactions: ATACFD and 79COUG
Obviously or they wouldn't of discontinued them . The numbers in the article don't jive with this website that maintains they only give $1950 in scholarship per player. 85 players at an average of $1950 would be $165750 per team.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/football.html

The obvious question is why does Cal have 68 team and Washington and Oregon combined have 30% the population and no teams whatsoever? Since Arizona is dropping 6 teams and the Cal teams have many kids from the Northwest....why not just keep them here with 6-8 teams. Another question is why have Oregon schools added football with like 100 plus on their roster if a football program isn't a good idea?

D3 football offers no football scholarships. It is an admissions tool to get males to enroll. The d3 school I coached for wanted us to bring in 100 freshmen every year. Most of them would quit. Most of them would stay as students. It was considered a win for the university.

Its just drip, drip, drip, but football is in decline. As I posted a couple of weeks ago, the decline is going fastest in the West and Northeast, and that is what we are watching now every January in the NC game. I love watching football and it is sad, but there is plenty of evidence leading to the same conclusion. Honestly, it is kind of like climate change. Fifty years from now there will be some remnants of football and the glaciers, but we aren't going back.

Junior College Football is your barometer of a dying sport?

Haaaaaaaa

Tell me this, why is so much money at the youth & HS Levels being invested over the last 4 years into year long training for a sport that’s decaying???

What’s in decline is the kids that never sniffed the field & wanted the prestige. There’s No longer a need for them to wear a jersey down the hall on Friday’s masquerading as a football player to simply land a piece of ass.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
If JC football is going to grow, my guess it will be in TX and the South. Add 10 teams and they cab draw talent from all over the country.

I kind of chuckle to myself when I read editorials about how football is on the decline. I mean, I get it. CTE has put football in the crosshairs of social (media) panic, but remember what society we’re talking about here. We like to pretend how much we care about safety, but that’s a public PC facade.

UFC is the fastest growing sport in the world. It’s grown from backyard fight clubs to a $4billion/year industry in 20 years. Collegiate and Professional football are the two most popular sports to watch in America. The NHL is at an all-time high, and is still expanding despite the fact that the sport is virtually closed off to all inner city kids, warm weather climates. 90% of high schools don’t have hockey programs, yet youth hockey has no trouble finding and upgrading the talent pool every decade.

I expect full contact football at the youth level to move to flag or 7-on-7 to appease middle class PC suburbanites, and way down the road, high school tackle football may fade in popularity; but the sport will press on. Perhaps college football will one day offer 6-year scholarships. The first 2-years will be spent redshirting, weight gaining, and teaching full contact tackling to make up for the absence of it at the youth level.

What’s in decline is the American family. Mommy and Daddy aren’t going to tell their 6’2 / 240lb 16-year old he can’t play football, because Mommy and Daddy don’t parent like that anymore. Mommy and Daddy are divorced, on social media apps, dating sites, or working. If you’re wondering what football will look like in 50 years, try imagining how disconnected families will be. Shit, you’ll be glad they’re playing football. It’s better than vaping meth.

Don’t be fooled by the PC reactions to violence. The appeal of free college and full contact sports will always appeal to people.

Reactions: kougkurt
I kind of chuckle to myself when I read editorials about how football is on the decline. I mean, I get it. CTE has put football in the crosshairs of social (media) panic, but remember what society we’re talking about here. We like to pretend how much we care about safety, but that’s a public PC facade.

UFC is the fastest growing sport in the world. It’s grown from backyard fight clubs to a $4billion/year industry in 20 years. Collegiate and Professional football are the two most popular sports to watch in America. The NHL is at an all-time high, and is still expanding despite the fact that the sport is virtually closed off to all inner city kids, warm weather climates. 90% of high schools don’t have hockey programs, yet youth hockey has no trouble finding and upgrading the talent pool every decade.

I expect full contact football at the youth level to move to flag or 7-on-7 to appease middle class PC suburbanites, and way down the road, high school tackle football may fade in popularity; but the sport will press on. Perhaps college football will one day offer 6-year scholarships. The first 2-years will be spent redshirting, weight gaining, and teaching full contact tackling to make up for the absence of it at the youth level.

What’s in decline is the American family. Mommy and Daddy aren’t going to tell their 6’2 / 240lb 16-year old he can’t play football, because Mommy and Daddy don’t parent like that anymore. Mommy and Daddy are divorced, on social media apps, dating sites, or working. If you’re wondering what football will look like in 50 years, try imagining how disconnected families will be. Shit, you’ll be glad they’re playing football. It’s better than vaping meth.

Don’t be fooled by the PC reactions to violence. The appeal of free college and full contact sports will always appeal to people.

Playing football v. vaping meth: now, there's a fork in the road for you.

Reactions: longtimecoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT