ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Phelps looks to be the guy.

He may be a better DL coach than papa joe. The big thing will be his ability to recruit, It seems like joe had almost a semi cult following among some coug fans. When one criticized him, people objected and saw it as posters really being upset over the potential recruiting effect.. It is more like" ok fatman thank you for your quality service, but you took the big money from a big rival. It is high time to move on, From what we saw in the bowl game,this guy can coach. If there are enough bodies,the D line may be better this year.

He may be a better DL coach than papa joe. The big thing will be his ability to recruit, It seems like joe had almost a semi cult following among some coug fans. When one criticized him, people objected and saw it as posters really being upset over the potential recruiting effect.. It is more like" ok fatman thank you for your quality service, but you took the big money from a big rival. It is high time to move on, From what we saw in the bowl game,this guy can coach. If there are enough bodies,the D line may be better this year.

And there were those who had tantrums about all the recruits that were going to bolt because of Joe's departure.

Reactions: YakiCoug

At the end of the day, I think Joe did a good job for us and we don't need to hate him because he's gone, but we certainly don't need to root for him or support him now that he's gone. Regardless of what we think of any coach, there is always someone out there who can do just as well, it's just a matter of identifying them and getting their interest. It will take time before we know if Phelps is going to be great, but I think he's a good hire.

Tantrums my dear papa joe worshiper? Just an accounting of the potential damage his departure meant to coug recruiting I just put the word out ther,others reactions to the news ,they have to owe. Do i hate [papa joe/ No he is in the rear view mirror Just let him move his fat ass down the raod because it is obscuring the view.You guys should quit crying about him. I look froward to the cougs kicking his ass in Oregon. The cry of the gibbon is him crying in his beer because i "insulted" his hero Phelps will be a btter coach. Whetehr or not he will be as good as recruiter remains to be seen.

Like all of the rest of the board's denizens I have followed Salave'a's departure with interest and trepidation. The situation is still not completely clear and a few observations and questions rattle around in my head. These follow.

Is the former Minnesota DL coach, Phelps, really our new guy? Reportedly the twitterverse has his status altered from "looking for work" to "coach" so it would seem that he is somebody's new DL guy. But whose? Why the holdup on announcing his new program? Still discussing the details of his new contract by his agent and his proposed new program is an obvious answer. If I am correct, his old DC at Minnesota has accepted a position at Wake Forest or someone of that ilk. Is the remaining difference between the two sides- it that is the case- of such magnitude that the gap cannot be joined? With the result that Phelps selects an alternative posting. Something must be going on. We are entering the final stage of the recruiting season with no publicly known DL coach. We are in need of defensive linemen and cannot point with assurance who will be their primary instructor. Not good.

Joe worked tirelessly and with a degree of success while at WSU and deserves our gratitude for his service. I do not see references to his being a "fat ass" or "traitor" acceptable. Let's deal with this disappointment with a bit of maturity and politeness. Our regret at his departure need not morph into anger.

I do not know the exact reason or reasons behind his move to Eugene. Money is probably involved. Others have posited the piss poor SJW performance of our SCB and that too may have been an issue. Both probably came into play. Let me suggest another not yet mentioned. One that I personally suspect was the primary one. In the recent past Joe was passed over for the DC position. Not only passed over but by a young man with less experience (I am here including Joe's NFL time with his coaching time). Joe may have, rightly or wrongly, felt that Leach did not regard him as DC material. Thus his transfer to a clean slate at a higher salary would have been considerably enticing.

Anyway, I wish there was more solidity to this hire. I don't envy Lose and the staff trying to recruit these linemen we desperately need and having been asked by the prospect who will be their coach, forced to reply "Uh, we don't have one".

Reactions: Coug95man2
Tantrums my dear papa joe worshiper? Just an accounting of the potential damage his departure meant to coug recruiting I just put the word out ther,others reactions to the news ,they have to owe. Do i hate [papa joe/ No he is in the rear view mirror Just let him move his fat ass down the raod because it is obscuring the view.You guys should quit crying about him. I look froward to the cougs kicking his ass in Oregon. The cry of the gibbon is him crying in his beer because i "insulted" his hero Phelps will be a btter coach. Whetehr or not he will be as good as recruiter remains to be seen.

I wasn't the one predicting doom and gloom when he left. You were. Nor have I ever cried about him. You seem to suffer from dissociative identity disorder.

Like all of the rest of the board's denizens I have followed Salave'a's departure with interest and trepidation. The situation is still not completely clear and a few observations and questions rattle around in my head. These follow.

Is the former Minnesota DL coach, Phelps, really our new guy? Reportedly the twitterverse has his status altered from "looking for work" to "coach" so it would seem that he is somebody's new DL guy. But whose? Why the holdup on announcing his new program? Still discussing the details of his new contract by his agent and his proposed new program is an obvious answer. If I am correct, his old DC at Minnesota has accepted a position at Wake Forest or someone of that ilk. Is the remaining difference between the two sides- it that is the case- of such magnitude that the gap cannot be joined? With the result that Phelps selects an alternative posting. Something must be going on. We are entering the final stage of the recruiting season with no publicly known DL coach. We are in need of defensive linemen and cannot point with assurance who will be their primary instructor. Not good.

Joe worked tirelessly and with a degree of success while at WSU and deserves our gratitude for his service. I do not see references to his being a "fat ass" or "traitor" acceptable. Let's deal with this disappointment with a bit of maturity and politeness. Our regret at his departure need not morph into anger.

I do not know the exact reason or reasons behind his move to Eugene. Money is probably involved. Others have posited the piss poor SJW performance of our SCB and that too may have been an issue. Both probably came into play. Let me suggest another not yet mentioned. One that I personally suspect was the primary one. In the recent past Joe was passed over for the DC position. Not only passed over but by a young man with less experience (I am here including Joe's NFL time with his coaching time). Joe may have, rightly or wrongly, felt that Leach did not regard him as DC material. Thus his transfer to a clean slate at a higher salary would have been considerably enticing.

Anyway, I wish there was more solidity to this hire. I don't envy Lose and the staff trying to recruit these linemen we desperately need and having been asked by the prospect who will be their coach, forced to reply "Uh, we don't have one".
Spot on. +1

You are a funny man. I just gave an accounting of the players who had decommitted, and the players papa joe was the point man on. It seems like the old codgers here think that recruiting news should not be news. It is interesting to a lot of younger posters to follow the twists and turns of recruiting. Unless one s head has been in the sand,exposing thier vital parts,his departure has resulted in players decommitting or canceling visits. I am hoping that Phelps can help DL recruiting which needs a fresh infusion of talent at this late juncture both at the DE and DT positions.

But Sark came calling about that same time, so it's hard to say that was a factor.

His father passed away recently, so that could have been a factor as well. And a private jet flying you to Samoa and Hawaii wouldn't exactly be terrible.

You are a funny man. I just gave an accounting of the players who had decommitted, and the players papa joe was the point man on. It seems like the old codgers here think that recruiting news should not be news. It is interesting to a lot of younger posters to follow the twists and turns of recruiting. Unless one s head has been in the sand,exposing thier vital parts,his departure has resulted in players decommitting or canceling visits. I am hoping that Phelps can help DL recruiting which needs a fresh infusion of talent at this late juncture both at the DE and DT positions.

You did more than that. Doom, gloom, predictions of more departures. Like I said, you need to have intestinal fortitude to follow recruiting. Easy to see who has it, and who doesn't.

Well, brand x just posted an article asserting that Phelps has agreed in principle to join the staff and that the contract is wending its way up the chain of command with final announcement in a few days. The basis of their assertion rests on "sources". Anonymous "sources" on the internet does not quite do it for me but it is at least better than nothing although not by much.

Well we only had three DE decommits,one DT cancelling his scheduled visit,and one coug LB recruit getting very late interest , whom papjoe was the point man on.That is just a scorecard. One s visceral response to this accounting is their own There is an adage about "don t shoot the messenger". Quit your hero worship and you may see things in a different light.it is not "doom and gloom" but only a score card.. i may ease your pain.by not calling him "fatman" . I must admt i get a little pleasure in making you wince on that one.

Well we only had three DE decommits,one DT cancelling his scheduled visit,and one coug LB recruit getting very late interest , whom papjoe was the point man on.That is just a scorecard. One s visceral response to this accounting is their own There is an adage about "don t shoot the messenger". Quit your hero worship and you may see things in a different light.it is not "doom and gloom" but only a score card.. i may ease your pain.by not calling him "fatman" . I must admt i get a little pleasure in making you wince on that one.

You made me wince? That's news to me. And maybe one decommit had something to do with Joe leaving. The others had to do with offers from other schools. But that doesn't fit your narrative.

Still lamenting Falk returning for his senior year?

But Sark came calling about that same time, so it's hard to say that was a factor.

His father passed away recently, so that could have been a factor as well. And a private jet flying you to Samoa and Hawaii wouldn't exactly be terrible.
Have to disagree. Sark's proposal to Joe came before the Nike money and the SCB debacle came into play. None of us really know for sure but I would be surprised if it were not a factor. It would for me if I was in Salave's shoes. My hunch, uneducated as usual, is that it was a considerable weight in Joe's decision.

The other Board is convinced tat he is the new coach. Some people here just want to keep ragging on without stopping.They are the true"gloom and doom" posters This post except for celelbrating a quality new coach is going nowhere. I will stop and keep talking about our new coach

Was unaware that his reported twitter following only started yesterday. People of my generation, geezers, do not do that twitter stuff. If true, then the rest of us need to upgrade him to a "solid commit". How's that?

Was unaware that his reported twitter following only started yesterday. People of my generation, geezers, do not do that twitter stuff. If true, then the rest of us need to upgrade him to a "solid commit". How's that?
I know of one prominent geezer that tweets uncontrollably

Here's an interesting comparison, from Brand X, between University of Minnesota's defense with Phelps as DL coach and WSU's defense with Joe as DL coach. At least a good portion of the total defensive stats, including pass efficiency, can be attributed to putting pressure on the QB:

Minnesota ranked 12th nationally in tackles for loss this past season, 21st in total defense, 22nd in sacks and 27th in pass efficiency defense. WSU ranked 78th, 93rd, 108th and 62nd in those categories in 2016, respectively.

I think Phelps will be a really good addition.

Glad Cougar

The other Board is convinced tat he is the new coach. Some people here just want to keep ragging on without stopping.They are the true"gloom and doom" posters This post except for celelbrating a quality new coach is going nowhere. I will stop and keep talking about our new coach

You're the only doom and gloom poster.

Your a pompous silly ass who has an OK education and a poor understanding of college football I would guess that your privileged access is now over with the football team. Give it up dude and move on

I know Joe has this legendary following in the South Pacific, but did he ever bring in any good recruits outside of there? Real question, I don't know. Seems like the bulk of his recruiting prowess was islanders. It's worth noting that while there is talent there for sure 1. There's plenty of D line talent elsewhere....CA and TX for sure, and 2. We can still get guys from the islands. We did before Joe. They have always liked the sense of family and community at WSU and that's not changing.

Not bagging on Joe and I appreciate his contribution to the program but there's certainly the possibility that the next guy in could actually recruit and develop better than Joe did.

Your a pompous silly ass who has an OK education and a poor understanding of college football I would guess that your privileged access is now over with the football team. Give it up dude and move on

Are you trying to set records for being wrong? You're gaining ground on sponge.

I know Joe has this legendary following in the South Pacific, but did he ever bring in any good recruits outside of there? Real question, I don't know. Seems like the bulk of his recruiting prowess was islanders. It's worth noting that while there is talent there for sure 1. There's plenty of D line talent elsewhere....CA and TX for sure, and 2. We can still get guys from the islands. We did before Joe. They have always liked the sense of family and community at WSU and that's not changing.

Not bagging on Joe and I appreciate his contribution to the program but there's certainly the possibility that the next guy in could actually recruit and develop better than Joe did.

His recruiting area was Hawaii, Samoa and San Diego. There are a fair number of guys on the roster those areas. I don't recall how much of a hand he had with Patmon, Woods, Vinyard or Bender.

Have to disagree. Sark's proposal to Joe came before the Nike money and the SCB debacle came into play. None of us really know for sure but I would be surprised if it were not a factor. It would for me if I was in Salave's shoes. My hunch, uneducated as usual, is that it was a considerable weight in Joe's decision.

As I have previously posted, brand x had a story quoting Joe's wife that she wouldn't let her son attend WSU. The quote was deleted soon after, but it clearly supports the notion the SCB mess was a factor in Papa Joe's decision to leave. I just wish he hadn't gone to Oregon.

Are you trying to set records for being wrong? You're gaining ground on sponge.

Is is possible for anyone to supplant sponge as the most idiotic poster on this board? But let us not forget aStep2slow...

The call of the gibbon keeps echoing in the background. So far,the recruiting has taken a hit and we shall see where the cougs are ranked. it will also be important note how many DTs ,DE and LBs are in this years class. It looks like the Poly connection and pipeline has been at least temporarily shut. If one is to be proven wrong, it is the weird assertion that the DL coach s departure will not drastically effect recruiting.That is the height of idiocy.

I hope Phelps can bring and build that midwest connection at WSU. Chicago, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc. There's some big boys and some good gets in that part of the country.

The call of the gibbon keeps echoing in the background. So far,the recruiting has taken a hit and we shall see where the cougs are ranked. it will also be important note how many DTs ,DE and LBs are in this years class. It looks like the Poly connection and pipeline has been at least temporarily shut. If one is to be proven wrong, it is the weird assertion that the DL coach s departure will not drastically effect recruiting.That is the height of idiocy.

What affects recruiting more is offers from uw and Texas.

Have you researched your buddy, gibbon? Oh by the way i still have your unsolicited email to me. Not that i give a damn. Oh yes check out the Minnesota Message Board. One of their headlines is "Can Fleck recruit at Minnesota"? The question of recruiting and ability to do so at a new University is always a question asked of new coaches.

Have you researched your buddy, gibbon? Oh by the way i still have your unsolicited email to me. Not that i give a damn. Oh yes check out the Minnesota Message Board. One of their headlines is "Can Fleck recruit at Minnesota"? The question of recruiting and ability to do so at a new University is always a question asked of new coaches.

Unsolicited email? I have no idea who you are, but I suspect you're bat-sh!t crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT