ADVERTISEMENT

Is this “Just the way it is” or “Just gross”

Yeah this was definitely done in poor taste..... I would have to side with Brand X on this though. Dickert/Williams had ample opportunity to debunk the story prior to today's news. CC NIL definitely worked quickly to keep Williams at WSU from the time it was reported he was going to the portal til he tweeted that he was staying.

*Edited to say that maybe I was a little too quick on this judgement...... so yeah Fv^k CF.C

Last edited:
Brand X continues to be populated by douchebags.

“In regard to Coach Dickert’s comments, he has my cell number and I've had my ringer on for each of the last 34 hours, so why he chose to malign Cougfan.com with a tweet rather than pick up the phone or send a text is unfortunate."

Flipping that coin…why does the writer not call Dickert for comment/confirmation before publishing the story that started the issue in the first place?

Reactions: 79COUG and Coug90
As for CF, it’s their job to verify and corroborate sources, not Dickerts job to drop everything and get back to them. What a clown. I hope Dickert blackballs those pricks for a while, I certainly would.

As for Coug Collective “jumping in”. Yikes, this is a slippery slope. To me you’ve basically told your players that if they are an important enough component of your roster a move to the portal could get them some cash. Not sure I like that precedent being set. It’s Pavlov’s dog. Think you are better off either trying to get out in front of it before it happens, OR let a guy walk once it becomes known. It’s up to Dickert and his staff to get a pulse on all of the players and their mindset every offseason. Sounds like he did that in this case though, but who knows.

First CFC gets on Leach's SHITLIST, and now is on Dickert's SHITLIST. And will probably end up on whoever the new future someday HC's SHITLIST also.

That pattern of getting on coaching SHITLIST shows the problem is CFC, not WSU, HC, leadership.

If get on 1 HC SHITLIST, maybe it's not your problem(it's probably is your problem, but maybe it's not(still probably your problem), but if get on more then 1 SHITLIST, then it's even more likely that your the problem.

No question it’s ugly.

This is Cougars turning on each other publicly. Everyone handled the catastrophe of the Titanic differently once the iceberg was hit.

When NIL deals start happening outside of any “collective” things are going to become infinitely worse in a hurry.

As for CF, it’s their job to verify and corroborate sources, not Dickerts job to drop everything and get back to them. What a clown. I hope Dickert blackballs those pricks for a while, I certainly would.

As for Coug Collective “jumping in”. Yikes, this is a slippery slope. To me you’ve basically told your players that if they are an important enough component of your roster a move to the portal could get them some cash. Not sure I like that precedent being set. It’s Pavlov’s dog. Think you are better off either trying to get out in front of it before it happens, OR let a guy walk once it becomes known. It’s up to Dickert and his staff to get a pulse on all of the players and their mindset every offseason. Sounds like he did that in this case though, but who knows.
Kind of the equivalent of telling your boss you have a job offer, and seeing if you can get a raise.

It's where we're at.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Coaches have been doing this forever. Kaelen Deboer got an extension and raise 11/22 and will be getting another soon if he hasn’t received it already .

Just a new day.

As for Cougfan they sourced where they heard the news from . They didn’t say it was gospel. If the information was incorrect or NIL came in big deal .

How many articles has this site written ? There was a time when wsu was written about twice a year. Rather have articles even if they go against what Dickert wants written .

Kind of the equivalent of telling your boss you have a job offer, and seeing if you can get a raise.

It's where we're at.
Strangely, while I know that’s a common thing, it’s never occurred to me to do it. If I’ve applied for a job, I’ve already made up my mind that I want to leave the current one. If I’ve had the new one offered to me, it doesn’t really matter if the old one offers more money - that’s probably not why I was leaving anyway.
I’ve quit 4 jobs since college, and none of my departures were about money. In fact, I only got an immediate pay increase with one of the new jobs - and it’s the one I stayed at for the shortest time. I have gone and asked for raises - not using a new offer as leverage, but instead showing what I’ve done, the hours I’ve worked, the things I can do, etc…and at least twice I’ve gone in with the basic approach that “this is where I bring value, and this is what I think it’s worth. If you don’t agree, I’ll find someone who does.” Both times, I was successful.

Based on that experience, I think if I were a coach, I’d approach personnel the same way I do as a manager. If someone comes to me and says “I’ve got another offer, what are you going to do about it,” my response is something like…I’m sorry you felt like you needed to look around, I wish you’d told me before that you weren’t happy. Good luck, I hope you find whatever you’re looking for. How long will it take you to clean things up and turn in your keys?

Reactions: Coug90
Strangely, while I know that’s a common thing, it’s never occurred to me to do it. If I’ve applied for a job, I’ve already made up my mind that I want to leave the current one. If I’ve had the new one offered to me, it doesn’t really matter if the old one offers more money - that’s probably not why I was leaving anyway.
I’ve quit 4 jobs since college, and none of my departures were about money. In fact, I only got an immediate pay increase with one of the new jobs - and it’s the one I stayed at for the shortest time. I have gone and asked for raises - not using a new offer as leverage, but instead showing what I’ve done, the hours I’ve worked, the things I can do, etc…and at least twice I’ve gone in with the basic approach that “this is where I bring value, and this is what I think it’s worth. If you don’t agree, I’ll find someone who does.” Both times, I was successful.

Based on that experience, I think if I were a coach, I’d approach personnel the same way I do as a manager. If someone comes to me and says “I’ve got another offer, what are you going to do about it,” my response is something like…I’m sorry you felt like you needed to look around, I wish you’d told me before that you weren’t happy. Good luck, I hope you find whatever you’re looking for. How long will it take you to clean things up and turn in your keys?
On that note take a look a Donavan Ollies offers since he entered the portal from cinci. He’s gonna end up going from WSU to Cinci to Ohio U

It's where we're at.
Many years ago I had a coworker try to pull this off without having an actual job offer in hand - his boss jumped on a red eye from New York to Portland that very night and was already in the building before 8:00AM waiting to shitcan him when he showed up.

On that note take a look a Donavan Ollies offers since he entered the portal from cinci. He’s gonna end up going from WSU to Cinci to Ohio U
Is there a reliable place to see what offers someone has?

Is there a reliable place to see what offers someone has?
Not sure. DO posted his stuff on twitter. Not to pile on but there’s got to be some awkward pause before tweeting you are “blessed” to recieve offers from Ohio, Abilene Christian, and Alabama A&M when you chose to walk away from WSU. I don’t know the guys complete story but damn.

Last edited:

Similar here. Left 5 jobs, 3 for money and 2 just wanting out. Kind of wanted out of the 3 money ones too. Never asked for a counter, and wouldn't have gotten one anyway, The Higher Ed ones just don't do that unless you are Exec level, they were 3 of the 5.

It's where we're at.
Yup. In what we used to think of as "college athletics", a "student athlete" did not have this route available to him/her. The coach was a paid employee and could do this, and some did so. But the player was getting a free education as well as room & board, so they did not.

That was then. This is now. Deliberate or not, "college athletics" has been changed and "student athletes" only exist at the bottom of the roster in the "money sports", as well as on the non-money sport rosters.

I hate that expression, "it is what it is", but it seems to apply here. What I find particularly disappointing is the attitude that I'm seeing with some of the young men that equates them being respected with a rush to a check book. While I understand the perspective, it is missing the bigger picture and risks them being somewhat damaged in their future view of the world.

Yup. In what we used to think of as "college athletics", a "student athlete" did not have this route available to him/her. The coach was a paid employee and could do this, and some did so. But the player was getting a free education as well as room & board, so they did not.

That was then. This is now. Deliberate or not, "college athletics" has been changed and "student athletes" only exist at the bottom of the roster in the "money sports", as well as on the non-money sport rosters.

I hate that expression, "it is what it is", but it seems to apply here. What I find particularly disappointing is the attitude that I'm seeing with some of the young men that equates them being respected with a rush to a check book. While I understand the perspective, it is missing the bigger picture and risks them being somewhat damaged in their future view of the world.
It will be a rude awakening when they take that mentality into the workplace.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
It would be great to see some coach do what Lombardi did with Fuzzy Thirston, when he tried to big time Lombardi by gett8ng an agent.

The agent showed up at Lombardi‘s office to “discuss” Fuzzy’s contract. Lombardi excused himself for a few minutes. When he came back he told the agent he should be talking to NY, as Mr. THurston no longer played for the Packers.

i understand this wouldn’t work today, but a guy can hope.

Reactions: ATACFD
It would be great to see some coach do what Lombardi did with Fuzzy Thirston, when he tried to big time Lombardi by gett8ng an agent.

The agent showed up at Lombardi‘s office to “discuss” Fuzzy’s contract. Lombardi excused himself for a few minutes. When he came back he told the agent he should be talking to NY, as Mr. THurston no longer played for the Packers.

i understand this wouldn’t work today, but a guy can hope.
You struck me as more of a "pro labor" guy rather than "pro management". No?

You struck me as more of a "pro labor" guy rather than "pro management". No?
Maybe pro respect the folks on the both sides of the table. I preferred dealing directly as possible with people.

If the player had said, “I don’t get all this legal stuff, can I have a lawyer look at it?”, and still been shipped out, I would side with the player.

I was management, but I didn‘t try to squeeze every penny out employees.

The player in question was actually Jim Ringo. There‘s now some question of parts of the story being urban legend. He did have an agent, but he wanted to go back east, anyway. How embarrassing, for a fan of the Packers in my youth to forget the player involved.

Maybe pro respect the folks on the both sides of the table. I preferred dealing directly as possible with people.

If the player had said, “I don’t get all this legal stuff, can I have a lawyer look at it?”, and still been shipped out, I would side with the player.

I was management, but I didn‘t try to squeeze every penny out employees.

The player in question was actually Jim Ringo. There‘s now some question of parts of the story being urban legend. He did have an agent, but he wanted to go back east, anyway. How embarrassing, for a fan of the Packers in my youth to forget the player involved.
This raises an interesting question. If players are free to leave every season, how long is it going to be until players can be traded mid-season? Seems like a logical step.

This raises an interesting question. If players are free to leave every season, how long is it going to be until players can be traded mid-season? Seems like a logical step.
Mid-season trades are common in MLB. Now that we've turned college football into a semi-pro minor league, the mid-season trades seem like a logical next step. As in baseball, a college could dump payroll by trading someone (this presumes that NIL would be paid out in installments over the course of the season, so there would be NIL payroll to dump).

Right now there are no rules, AFIK. What does happen to a player like the one at BSU, who hung it up midseason? Did he get his money up front?

It was interesting to see even tOSU playing 3rd or 4th string qbs in a New Years 6 game, because the starter was heading to Syracuse.

Right now there are no rules, AFIK. What does happen to a player like the one at BSU, who hung it up midseason? Did he get his money up front?

It was interesting to see even tOSU playing 3rd or 4th string qbs in a New Years 6 game, because the starter was heading to Syracuse.
This is why the portal should not open until after the national championship is played.

And, in order to be eligible for the early portal window, you must have played out the season or been on the injured list.

Now seeing Florida State had 23 players opt out of the Orange Bowl. 9 going pro, 14 portal. Wow.

Curious regarding peoples' thoughts on this ... do people think the playoff, per se, is what is causing all of these guys to opt-out of even the high-end bowl games? My sense is that even if the playoff wasn't a thing, with it still the BCS era -- and maybe even the era prior to that, where the polls decided the champion after the bowl games were done -- almost all of these guys would still be opting out if their team had no realistic shot at a title. A lot of them are doing it because of the portal, where they opt-out if they are moving on, in addition to the guys opting-out due to "preparing for the draft."

It really sucks how these bowl games have turned into little more than a sideshow featuring guys way down the roster. I used to watch almost all the bowl games. Kids cared, actually winning the trophy seemed to matter, we would talk years later about some of the games, and they almost all were at least decent football. Now they're all worthless and I can barely even be bothered to turn on something like Georgia/Florida State in the background.

Curious regarding peoples' thoughts on this ... do people think the playoff, per se, is what is causing all of these guys to opt-out of even the high-end bowl games? My sense is that even if the playoff wasn't a thing, with it still the BCS era -- and maybe even the era prior to that, where the polls decided the champion after the bowl games were done -- almost all of these guys would still be opting out if their team had no realistic shot at a title. A lot of them are doing it because of the portal, where they opt-out if they are moving on, in addition to the guys opting-out due to "preparing for the draft."

It really sucks how these bowl games have turned into little more than a sideshow featuring guys way down the roster. I used to watch almost all the bowl games. Kids cared, actually winning the trophy seemed to matter, we would talk years later about some of the games, and they almost all were at least decent football. Now they're all worthless and I can barely even be bothered to turn on something like Georgia/Florida State in the background.
No the Jadivian Clowney Christian McCaffrey affect . Clowney missed his whole year so he wouldn’t get injured and McCaffrey opted out of a bowl game .

These guys need to get a draft grade and get a policy for the game protecting them if they get injured .

The bowl games in two years won’t be sponsoring to watch Wsu with DeLaura leave at halftime with two tackles opting out . And wtf we’re Ryan and Lucas able to raise a flag at a home game the next year is beyond me .

What they will probably do is just add another mid winter 15 practice schedule for all teams instead of making people go watch the JV team play .

Ohio State scored three points . Three .

And sooner than later the NFL is going to look at these kids bailing on their teams as a negative . What happens when they are in the NFL, and they are 0-4 the first four games of the year . They going to bail on their teams ?

It's all about making the playoffs.

I can understand the worry about getting hurt in your last game if you have a legitimate shot at the pros. But you could also get hit by a bus.

If I were an NFL team, I would question the character and commitment when a player opts out. If you are a top 10 pick, OK, But for some 3rd or 4th rounder, not so much.

There’s already kids opting out on playoff teams. The orange bowl today was a joke. Turned it on saw all the FSU guys not playing watched one series and turned it off.

They have opened up Pandora’s box. Maybe the 12 team playoff will help but CFB keeps getting worse from what I can see.

It's all about making the playoffs.

I can understand the worry about getting hurt in your last game if you have a legitimate shot at the pros. But you could also get hit by a bus.

If I were an NFL team, I would question the character and commitment when a player opts out. If you are a top 10 pick, OK, But for some 3rd or 4th rounder, not so much.
The trend will continue and actually worsen unless somehow there is some kind of a penalty sysrem implemented. Perhaps getting the NFL on board with a league rule that players sitting out suffer a 10 or 20% penalty to the rookie contract. And for portal guys that sit out, I say a 4 game suspension for the following year is reasonable, with a one game for one game sitting out for those that quit with 5 or more games remaining. This chaos we have will kill the goose that laid the golden egg if they are unable to rein things in. It may take years, but having a crap product is going to affect TV viewing, which affects media rights contracts, etc.

As someone else mentioned already, there needs to be a greater usage of the NFL prospects buying disability coverage to protect themselves instead of using quitting on the team/coaches/university/students/alumni/fans as protection. In addition to that, suffering an injury does not mean the end of a career in most instances. I recall a running back, WIllis Magahee (Miami, spelling ???) that tore a knee up so bad in a bowl game that many thought he would never play again. Turns out he had a great a career as a pro.

The trend will continue and actually worsen unless somehow there is some kind of a penalty sysrem implemented. Perhaps getting the NFL on board with a league rule that players sitting out suffer a 10 or 20% penalty to the rookie contract. And for portal guys that sit out, I say a 4 game suspension for the following year is reasonable, with a one game for one game sitting out for those that quit with 5 or more games remaining. This chaos we have will kill the goose that laid the golden egg if they are unable to rein things in. It may take years, but having a crap product is going to affect TV viewing, which affects media rights contracts, etc.

As someone else mentioned already, there needs to be a greater usage of the NFL prospects buying disability coverage to protect themselves instead of using quitting on the team/coaches/university/students/alumni/fans as protection. In addition to that, suffering an injury does not mean the end of a career in most instances. I recall a running back, WIllis Magahee (Miami, spelling ???) that tore a knee up so bad in a bowl game that many thought he would never play again. Turns out he had a great a career as a pro.

The collectives will need to negotiate terms. Performance, duration of the deal and penalties for breaking the agreed to terms.

I don’t think the NCAA wants to land in a court room again over suspending kids for games over transferring.

Right now the kids are fleecing the collectives for everything they’ve got. It’s time for them to walk away from kids that won’t agree to terms.

The collectives will need to negotiate terms. Performance, duration of the deal and penalties for breaking the agreed to terms.

I don’t think the NCAA wants to land in a court room again over suspending kids for games over transferring.

Right now the kids are fleecing the collectives for everything they’ve got. It’s time for them to walk away from kids that won’t agree to terms.
You’d think business people would behave like, you know, business people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT