ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Schulz told the Pac-12 Network that. . .

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
moving the Crimson & Gray game to Pullman and playing it at Martin Stadium is a strong possibility starting next year. Talked about the economic benefits of playing the game there along with plenty of parking and tailgating. Reading between the lines, I think Schulz and new AD Pat Chun want to make the spring game an "event" with a lot of fans and festivities surrounding it.

moving the Crimson & Gray game to Pullman and playing it at Martin Stadium is a strong possibility starting next year. Talked about the economic benefits of playing the game there along with plenty of parking and tailgating. Reading between the lines, I think Schulz and new AD Pat Chun want to make the spring game an "event" with a lot of fans and festivities surrounding it.

And Albi will be bulldozed in the not distant future.

Reactions: Cougzz
And Albi will be bulldozed in the not distant future.

Try it in Pullman for a year. If they can combine it with Mom's weekend or a concert of some type they may get a decent crowd. If it bombs, which I think is likely, move it back to Spokane at the new downtown stadium which will likely be done by 2020 or 2021. It will be small by college football standards but 6-7K seats is a good size for a WSU Scrimmage and it will likely be full. They just need to make sure they figure out some type of beer garden.
By the way, did they announce attendance for yesterday's game?

Try it in Pullman for a year. If they can combine it with Mom's weekend or a concert of some type they may get a decent crowd. If it bombs, which I think is likely, move it back to Spokane at the new downtown stadium which will likely be done by 2020 or 2021. It will be small by college football standards but 6-7K seats is a good size for a WSU Scrimmage and it will likely be full. They just need to make sure they figure out some type of beer garden.

I read 6,000

How about an annual WSU "SpringFest" in the Tri-Cities?
  • Crimson & Gray Football Classic at Neil F. Lampson Stadium in Kennewick
  • Pac-12 baseball series at Gesa Stadium in Pasco
  • Pac-12 softball series at ?
  • Music festival at Toyota Center in Kennewick
Could be a good way to spread the WSU Brand to another major market (#165 nationally) where there is a preponderance of Coug Fans.

Last edited:

How about an annual WSU "SpringFest" in the Tri-Cities?
  • Crimson & Gray Football Classic at Neil F. Lampson Stadium in Pasco
  • Pac-12 baseball series at Gesa Stadium in Pasco
  • Pac-12 softball series at ?
  • Music festival at Toyota Center in Kennewick
Could be a good way to spread the WSU Brand to another major market (#165 nationally) where there is a preponderance of Coug Fans.

"If it bombs" in Pullman? 6,000 fans in Spokane on a sunny Saturday is a bomb. And no your little downtown stadium won't be there by 2020.

I like Pete's idea. This Lampson stadium holds 7,000. Or hell, try it in Ellensburg at Central's field. Smack in the middle of the state.

This seemed to be "news" to Jack Thompson, who learned of Schulz's comments during his interview on Coug promotions in Spokane. This game will be in Pullman until Spokane provides a successor to Albi. The only down side of it all is that 4,000 Cougs won't be able to watch the scrimmage from a beer tent...

There’s not a chance in hell you’d get 6000 people in Pullman for a spring game.

2500 max - even on moms weekend.

Reactions: earldacoug

There is no doubt a financial aspect to this issue. I'm sure there is a cost, regardless of what it is or how small it is, to having the game up in Spokane. Keeping it home removes that cost.

Not sure what metrics will be used to measure whether or not the move will be worth it, but my suspicion is that it'll be in Pullman for the immediate future.

There’s not a chance in hell you’d get 6000 people in Pullman for a spring game.

2500 max - even on moms weekend.
Why? Moms weekend, make it a night event, create some hoopla around it...market the damn thing. What else is there to do in Pullman on a mid April Saturday? I know everyone’s not studying for finals already.

There’s 20,000 undergrads in Pullman and another what, 40K living there? Should be able to get 5k to the game easy, and 10k+ should be the expectation.

I don’t understand why they only have one Dads/Moms weekend/year. There should be one/semester.

Did you see the attendance at Beasley for men's basketball? If you can't get more than 250 students to walk 3 blocks for a Pac12 basketball game, you're not going to get many to come out and watch a scrimmage.

Why? Moms weekend, make it a night event, create some hoopla around it...market the damn thing. What else is there to do in Pullman on a mid April Saturday? I know everyone’s not studying for finals already.

There’s 20,000 undergrads in Pullman and another what, 40K living there? Should be able to get 5k to the game easy, and 10k+ should be the expectation.

Actually the entire population of Whitman County isn't much over 40,000, including the 20,000 students.

But I agree - A Mom's weekend event (if the weather is decent) should bring a nice crowd. Especially if they open up the luxury suites for a pregame, in game event.

And if not, so what. As mentioned elsewhere, there is a cost to go to Spokane. Not so much in Pullman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT