ADVERTISEMENT

Schulz says shovels in the ground for the new IPF in September

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Boom!!

This new IPF is a game-changer for Cougar Football and Recruiting.

And Boom again from Dr. Schulz!! (see below)

⬇️

Pac-12 media rights deal will be made "in the next few weeks to a month" followed quickly by the possibility of conference expansion. "When it happens, folks, the dominoes are going to fall quickly,"

***Per Brand X (I know some don't like them, but they do bring the good news from time to time and I appreciate that)

Boom!!

⬇️

Pac-12 media rights deal will be made "in the next few weeks to a month" followed quickly by the possibility of conference expansion. "When it happens, folks, the dominoes are going to fall quickly,"

***Per Brand X (I know some don't like them, but they do bring the good news from time to time and I appreciate that)
Nice link Choppy. Schulz came off pretty good. That said, I don't get how we can sign a media deal, THEN find a couple of new Pac-12 members. Cart and horse. Who the F is going to buy that pig in a poke?

Boom!!

⬇️

I’ll believe the media rights deal when I see it. Seems to me they already told us it would be finalized in mid-April.

I’ll believe the media rights deal when I see it. Seems to me they already told us it would be finalized in mid-April.

From what Dr. Schultz said a week or so ago, there was a holdup of an announcement because ESPN was concerned about optics of doing a 9-figure deal immediately after laying off several hundred staffers

From what Dr. Schultz said a week or so ago, there was a holdup of an announcement because ESPN was concerned about optics of doing a 9-figure deal immediately after laying off several hundred staffers
Yeah, I don’t buy that. ESPN has never shown much hesitation to screw its employees. Besides, I thought they had backed away?

For starters, It's Schulz, not Shultz. Shultz was Sgt. Shultz on Hogan's Heroes. C'mon buddy, you have misspelled it many times.

Second, I don't get no one else is going "WTF" about this alleged media deal when they (the media) don't even know who is going to be in the PAC10/12 in a year? WTF are they going to sign on to? Pac-10 and TBD, for 30 million plus?

For starters, It's Schulz, not Shultz. Shultz was Sgt. Shultz on Hogan's Heroes. C'mon buddy, you have misspelled it many times.

know-nothing.jpg

60b3fa84ddb45-hires-copy-3.jpg
MV5-BMj-E4-Mzg3-OTgx-Nl5-BMl5-Ban-Bn-Xk-Ft-ZTcw-MTM0-MDgx-OA-V1-FMjpg-UX1000.jpg

Sorry about that, Loyal

Not a good speller, especially with names

Second, I don't get no one else is going "WTF" about this alleged media deal when they (the media) don't even know who is going to be in the PAC10/12 in a year? WTF are they going to sign on to? Pac-10 and TBD, for 30 million plus?
I get where you are coming from, but it IS possible to make a deal within certain parameters and have certain options within the contract. Like building a house-Option #1 is to finish off the daylight basement for $100,00 , Option#2 is to install a full rock fireplace for $15,000, Options #3 is to delete the free standing garage for -$75,000, etc.

In a media deal, there could more payment allowed for increasing the conference market penetration in specific markets like San Diego, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc. Amounts would vary depending on market size and expected or actual ratings. Not an impossible task.

Schulz has been a pretty straight shooter so far, so until proven otherwise, I'll listen to what he says. He does bring up one important point, there are no other college contracts coming up, Big 12 in 6 years is the soonest available. SEC and Big 10 run 10 years, ACC another 13, NFL runs another 10 years, NBA runs through next year, and they are talking about making more with a streaming deal. So there are not a lot of other options for networks or streaming services to add sports to their programing schedule. Even though the Pac 12 looks weaker from a negotiation standpoint without the LA market. There are a lot of college grads in the LA market that went to universities other than USC and UCLA. So it is still a sellers market. Also with the expansion of the college football playoffs, a Conference champ from the pac 10/11/12 or whatever, will have an easier time making it to the playoffs. The 3rd place team from the SEC or Big 10 might be better than the Pac 10 team, but they won't make the playoff over the pac 10 champ. I know the Ducks and Huskies are dying to get into the Big 10, but once there it's a tough road, I can't wait to hear all the USC and UCLA fans complain about the travel schedule.

Reactions: mikalalas
Dr. Schulz takes some heat around here, but he seems to be well regarded by those in the know.

John Wilner from the San Jose paper said he thinks Dr. Schulz could be fit to be president of the NCAA one day

Dr. Schulz takes some heat around here, but he seems to be well regarded by those in the know.

John Wilner from the San Jose paper said he thinks Dr. Schulz could be fit to be president of the NCAA one day
April 2022:

Not long after Mark Emmert announced Tuesday that he’d be stepping down from his post as NCAA president, a report suggested that Kirk Schulz might be a candidate for the job.

Less than a day later, the Washington State president responded definitively.

“I remain fully committed to my position as system president at Washington State University,” Schulz tweeted Wednesday afternoon. “I am not interested in being considered as the next NCAA president. My support will continue to be with Mark Emmert as he finishes his time with the NCAA and I look forward to working with his eventual successor.”

The bar to be a good NCAA president is so low, it's sad.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Gawd I remember those a-holes in Martin a couple of times. Playing those 2 annoying tunes.
Yeah, USC definitely has road games, even if they usually are limited to conference road games and playing in South Bend every other year. Those stupid songs are still echoing in my ears.

Schulz is a pretty straight shooter, but I'll believe the media rights deal and IPF groundbreaking when I see them. As for pursuing expansion after the media deal is finalized, they're surely accounting for it in the deal. Probably has clauses that address expansion. I'd be really curious how detailed they are.

Schulz is a pretty straight shooter, but I'll believe the media rights deal and IPF groundbreaking when I see them. As for pursuing expansion after the media deal is finalized, they're surely accounting for it in the deal. Probably has clauses that address expansion. I'd be really curious how detailed they are.

425, you seem to have a good handle on this media rights/expansion stuff.

How many and which schools should Schulz and his presidential cohorts bring into the conference?

It seems like a pretty important decision to get right

I still don't buy it. Let's take SDSU, our closest window into the LA market, 3.3 million in the SD metropolitan area. Not even counting he 13 million in the LA area. Or UNLV, 2.2 million in the metropolitan area. Both bigger than anything in the Pac-10 outside of Seattle and Sanfran. Oops, Phoenix too. How does a media company cut us a decent deal not knowing who, if anyone, is going to join? We are so f-ing stupid. I want Larry Scott back. :)

I still don't buy it. Let's take SDSU, our closest window into the LA market, 3.3 million in the SD metropolitan area. Not even counting he 13 million in the LA area. Or UNLV, 2.2 million in the metropolitan area. Both bigger than anything in the Pac-10 outside of Seattle and Sanfran. How does a media company cut us a decent deal not knowing who, if anyone, is going to join? We are so f-ing stupid. I want Larry Scott back. :)
I hear you, but not having the schools be extended invitations or formalizing their joining doesn't mean those on the inside, on all sides, don't know what's likely. They may even have handshake deals in place.

That isn't to say this seems well-managed or that things will shake out as expected, but all kinds of things are possible with the contract(s). One thing I've never seen firm information on is whether these deals have clauses that provide for more money if there is more inventory (i.e., more members) subject to some kind of limitations or requirements applicable to new members.

E.g., if a media rights partner will pay $300m a year for 10 teams' games, will it pay $360m a year, or something less, if the conference expands by two? I would assume so, and there are all kinds of ways to deal with it contractually (e.g., providing for payouts contingent on ratings of games featuring new members, on their average ratings in the past, market size, tiered payouts depending on whether the new entrant previously was in a P5 conference, etc.). Based on my work in similar situations (I do complex M&A and commercial deals in tech) and everything I've heard about entertainment deals, I assume there are complex provisions dealing with all this stuff that are heavily negotiated.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
425, you seem to have a good handle on this media rights/expansion stuff.

How many and which schools should Schulz and his presidential cohorts bring into the conference?

It seems like a pretty important decision to get right
Honestly, nothing firm from me on this other than all of our prior discussions on it. They need to do either two or four and SDSU is close to a no-brainer. That's where it gets tricky. UNLV seems like the best other candidate in terms of the market, and based on what I know, I'm for them being in. Once that market is gone, there's nothing left out west, really, and it's in the Pacific time zone. That said, there seems to be some reason the commish, who was part of the Vegas scene right before taking the job, doesn't seem outwardly interested.

I like SMU much more than most in terms of its market, money, potential, academics, and so on, but the cultural and geographical fits are tenuous. It clearly is right there in terms of being a candidate for the next step, and if the Big 12 didn't already have TCU, it would have added it already. I don't like Tulane as much. You can squint and see D/FW as fitting in a "western" conference, but that gets a lot harder when you go east of Texas and are firmly in the south. The Big 12 declined to take them in what would have been a much better fit.

The Pac-12 is just in a weird spot due to past mistakes and the constraints of geography and sports culture in the west. If this was more about what the Pac-12 should have done in the past before getting boxed in like this, I -- and others here -- would have a lot more to write, but it unfortunately would just be a thought exercise.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
I still don't buy it. Let's take SDSU, our closest window into the LA market, 3.3 million in the SD metropolitan area. Not even counting he 13 million in the LA area. Or UNLV, 2.2 million in the metropolitan area. Both bigger than anything in the Pac-10 outside of Seattle and Sanfran. Oops, Phoenix too. How does a media company cut us a decent deal not knowing who, if anyone, is going to join? We are so f-ing stupid. I want Larry Scota
I still don't buy it. Let's take SDSU, our closest window into the LA market, 3.3 million in the SD metropolitan area. Not even counting he 13 million in the LA area. Or UNLV, 2.2 million in the metropolitan area. Both bigger than anything in the Pac-10 outside of Seattle and Sanfran. Oops, Phoenix too. How does a media company cut us a decent deal not knowing who, if anyone, is going to join? We are so f-ing stupid. I want Larry Scott back. :)
I am sure the contract has increased payout based upon who is added, or subtracted for that manner for leaving, for every potential team. Having the team in the conference now at contract time, is not that critical if they have already been identified.

Honestly, nothing firm from me on this other than all of our prior discussions on it. They need to do either two or four and SDSU is close to a no-brainer. That's where it gets tricky. UNLV seems like the best other candidate in terms of the market, and based on what I know, I'm for them being in. Once that market is gone, there's nothing left out west, really, and it's in the Pacific time zone. That said, there seems to be some reason the commish, who was part of the Vegas scene right before taking the job, doesn't seem outwardly interested.

I like SMU much more than most in terms of its market, money, potential, academics, and so on, but the cultural and geographical fits are tenuous. It clearly is right there in terms of being a candidate for the next step, and if the Big 12 didn't already have TCU, it would have added it already. I don't like Tulane as much. You can squint and see D/FW as fitting in a "western" conference, but that gets a lot harder when you go east of Texas and are firmly in the south. The Big 12 declined to take them in what would have been a much better fit.

The Pac-12 is just in a weird spot due to past mistakes and the constraints of geography and sports culture in the west. If this was more about what the Pac-12 should have done in the past before getting boxed in like this, I -- and others here -- would have a lot more to write, but it unfortunately would just be a thought exercise.
Yeah I just think we need to stay out West, take our lumps if they are coming, and survive. The Mountain West conference seems to be doing OK and stable. F-ing USC and FUCLA really screwed us - over what - money that neither of them really need? I hope they both end up like Nebraska and become middling losers. SDSU and UNLV. No F-ing brainer. We got nothing to lose.

Reactions: 425cougfan
F-ing USC and FUCLA really screwed us - over what - money that neither of them really need? I hope they both end up like Nebraska and become middling losers.

At one game under .500 in the Pac-12 this century, UCLA doesn't have to BECOME a middling loser 😄

Reactions: mikalalas

If I am betting with my gut, and there is expansion, I see SDSU and SMU getting the invite. UNLV is great for location, but unless the conference is cool with them being a doormat, athletics-wise I'm not sure they bring much (and those more engrained can confirm more on this), but academically they're a T1.

SMU could be a sleeping giant - they have the $$$ floating around and they have the big upgrades in progress or to come. Dallas is a big market. They've had previous success. MBB and football are good-to-solid...imagine when more $$ come in.

I'd prefer to keep it West Coast should the PAC stay together, but $C and UCLA ruined that option for everyone. F*ck you, Carol Folt, public enemy no. 1 in my mind.

If I am betting with my gut, and there is expansion, I see SDSU and SMU getting the invite. UNLV is great for location, but unless the conference is cool with them being a doormat, athletics-wise I'm not sure they bring much (and those more engrained can confirm more on this), but academically they're a T1.

SMU could be a sleeping giant - they have the $$$ floating around and they have the big upgrades in progress or to come. Dallas is a big market. They've had previous success. MBB and football are good-to-solid...imagine when more $$ come in.

I'd prefer to keep it West Coast should the PAC stay together, but $C and UCLA ruined that option for everyone. F*ck you, Carol Folt, public enemy no. 1 in my mind.
Gawd no no NO on SMU. They are 1900 miles from Pullman. Granted that's by car.

Not excited about SMU either, but if WSU receives 2-4 million more in TV revenue because it so be it. Flights to San Diego and San Franciso run 200-300 for a round trip, Denver 300-400, Salt Lake 250-300, PHX 280-350 Dallas 380-425. So a 50- 100 bucks more for a Weekend in Dallas, than to Denver or PHX. And hotels in all this cities are easy to find and cheaper than most hotels in Pullman on a football weekend.

Last edited:

Legitimate question for discussion- WIth UNLV being tossed around by some as a prime candidate for inclusion to the PAC, I wonder where their real value is. Is it better for the PAC to actually have UNLV as a member, or to expand around them and keep LV as the site for all of the conference championships? Is that an attractive option to get folks to travel to a neutral site for those games/matches so no home advantage for any PAC team?

Legitimate question for discussion- WIth UNLV being tossed around by some as a prime candidate for inclusion to the PAC, I wonder where their real value is. Is it better for the PAC to actually have UNLV as a member, or to expand around them and keep LV as the site for all of the conference championships? Is that an attractive option to get folks to travel to a neutral site for those games/matches so no home advantage for any PAC team?
Are you hit LA hard. Conference tournaments, title games and big non-conference games every year like Oregon vs Georgia etc. Keep the PAC relevant in LA where the recruits are.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Are you hit LA hard. Conference tournaments, title games and big non-conference games every year like Oregon vs Georgia etc. Keep the PAC relevant in LA where the recruits are.
I think we'll see neutral site games at SoFi to stay in the LA market. If SDSU joins, I could see them doing a season kickoff annually with a conference game or a big team. Or the conference should do what other conferences do during kickoff weekend and host big games at "neutral" sites like Oregon/Georgia in Atlanta. PAC team X plays big other conference team X at SoFi (or Vegas).

My understanding from my time around ADs is no one enjoyed going to LA - yes it's a big market, but Vegas was always preferred choice. Teams enjoy it more too.

I'd argue keeping Vegas neutral may have better longer effects for UNLV. I don't think they're joining another P5 conference unless it's the PAC. BXII may go for them but that's only if it all hits the fan (that could be in 5 years when it all blows up again).

Good thing the Badgers are coming to Martin Stadium this year.

In the future, Kliakorff might try to strong arm Schulzie and Chun and "suggest" that game be moved to SoFi or even the Rose Bowl

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT