ADVERTISEMENT

Leach’s record

I've never understood the need for two WR coaches on staff. Are the routes that intricate or different they need two coaches? The best WR coach in WA still lives in Pullman and isn't coaching. Maybe I'm old school, but having just one WR coach and another bang up recruiter PLUS the new 10th spot with another great recruiter seems the best use to me.

Lots of guys to coach, and the WR coaches are typically recruiters. A lot of teams have a outside LBs coach, and an inside LBs coach. Or a CBs coach, and a safeties coach. Or a centers and guards coach, and a tackles coach. Or a DTs coach, and a DEs coach. It's a function of the number of allowed assistant coaches. In theory you'd be fine with 7-8 coaches (DL, LBs, DBs, OL, QBs, RBs, WRs and maybe a TEs/Fullbacks coach).

Lots of guys to coach, and the WR coaches are typically recruiters. A lot of teams have a outside LBs coach, and an inside LBs coach. Or a CBs coach, and a safeties coach. Or a centers and guards coach, and a tackles coach. Or a DTs coach, and a DEs coach. It's a function of the number of allowed assistant coaches. In theory you'd be fine with 7-8 coaches (DL, LBs, DBs, OL, QBs, RBs, WRs and maybe a TEs/Fullbacks coach).

Thanks for the breakdown. Makes a lot of sense.

I know Levy wasn't known as a great recruiter, but it seems like his coaching track records does speak for itself. I'm not trying to pile on the nostalgia train, but I've been relatively underwhelmed with the WR crew sans a couple of individual standouts (Marks, Cracraft). In my initial thought, it seems we could use one WR coach and more recruiters. Just a "hot taek" as they call it these days, I suppose.

Your "unlesses" is what is accurate.

Two teams that run Leach's offense had wins and each had over 500 yards of offense yesterday against teams that are known as defensive powers.- Okie State and TCU.

You have to have playmakers.
Wrong. They were running a variation of Leachs offense but NOT doing what Leach does. Did either of those teams run the ball 3 times? THATS the difference. This is the same old Air Raid with nothing new and not running the ball. Those coaches have the Air Raid concept to start with but make no mistake they are running the offense with a completely different approach to where it’s basically a different offense all together.

Thanks for the breakdown. Makes a lot of sense.

I know Levy wasn't known as a great recruiter, but it seems like his coaching track records does speak for itself. I'm not trying to pile on the nostalgia train, but I've been relatively underwhelmed with the WR crew sans a couple of individual standouts (Marks, Cracraft). In my initial thought, it seems we could use one WR coach and more recruiters. Just a "hot taek" as they call it these days, I suppose.

IMO, the turnover at the WR coaching positions has hurt. The Elf (don't even remember the guy's name now), Simmons, Harrel, Yost, the dude from the directional Kentucky team that left after a year. That's a lot of turnover. The blocking in particular has suffered.

Reactions: CougEd
Questions (I don't know the answers):

Do OSU and TCU do the wide OL splits? Does anyone besides WSU? It is a pretty significant cornerstone of the system, if you don't do that are you really running the "Air Raid"?

Do OSU, TCU, other "Air Raid" offenses have tight ends, running QB's, etc? So are others incorporating concepts rather than running the whole offense?

Heck, are we even running it when you only run 6% of the time, and your RB catches 25% of your completions and you average 5.4 yards per attempt?

Here some clips of TCU offense and highlights from OK. State game last night.

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/...ill-stillwater-turpin-hicks-snell-cowboys-osu

The formations look the same but the speed of the players is not.

Go to 1:55 of the Ok. State video and you will see a familiar offensive look, but also see what having a home run threat can do.

IMO, the turnover at the WR coaching positions has hurt. The Elf (don't even remember the guy's name now), Simmons, Harrel, Yost, the dude from the directional Kentucky team that left after a year. That's a lot of turnover. The blocking in particular has suffered.

I can agree there. All aspects just don't seem up to snuff.

Did we win an Apple Cup in 2001? 2002? 2003? Damn those 30 wins during that span!

I don’t place as much of a priority on Apple cups as most of our fans do. UW has been the better team the past few years, especially matching up with our offense.

The perplexing losses to Colorado State, Portland State, Eastern WA, Cal, Minnesota, and MSU frustrate me more. Sometimes we just look flat out confused and not prepared to play.

Wrong. They were running a variation of Leachs offense but NOT doing what Leach does. Did either of those teams run the ball 3 times? THATS the difference. This is the same old Air Raid with nothing new and not running the ball. Those coaches have the Air Raid concept to start with but make no mistake they are running the offense with a completely different approach to where it’s basically a different offense all together.

TCU's RB's had a grand total of 11 carries last night, if that is not a Air Raid offense not sure what you should call it . They call themselves an Air Raid offense , they play like an Air Raid maybe you should tell them they are not one. I have Sonny Cumbie's email if you would like to tell him he is not running an Air Raid offense.

I will agree that OSU is more balanced but they have always had better running backs. But they clearly set up in Air Raid formations and most of their running plays look the same.

Your RB's would never withstand carrying the ball 20 times a game. Heck from what I have watched they usually get banged up and come out if they carry it the limited amount that they do now. You have run an offense around the player you have not what you wish that had.

Last edited:
Talent/speed/size-strength is still an issue. I suspect it probably always will be at WSU to some degree.

TCU's RB's had a grand total of 11 carries last night, if that is not a Air Raid offense not sure what you should call it . They call themselves an Air Raid offense , they play like an Air Raid maybe you should tell them they are not one. I have Sonny Cumbie's email if you would like to tell him he is not running an Air Raid offense.

I will agree that OSU is more balanced but they have always had better running backs. But they clearly set up in Air Raid formations and most of their running plays look the same.

Better yet watch OU and see what they are running and tell me what you would call it.
You are comparing offensive production with what WSU is “running” and what these other two schools are running...I’m saying while foundationally the offenses may be similar, the contrast of what they are actually doing is obvious... it’s apples and oranges really. Yeah 11 times their RB ran it, what about their QB and other backs? Running the ball 3 times is completely different than what those two offenses did or what Oklahoma does. Speaking of Oklahoma, if they only ran it 3 times during a game, Mayfields efficiency rating would be crap compared to what it is. Gotta be a threat of the run, and we just refuse to do it. The talent is there...has been all year.

I can agree there. All aspects just don't seem up to snuff.

We all have seen Leach go for it on 4th down in odd situations. Those situations are less often with a stronger defense and a decent punter. They ran the ball more last year. What is difference?

I remember a coach named Hayden Fry. He ran the ball at SMU, known for the M&M offense. Two backs with names starting with M. At NTSU (now UNT) he talked up passing the ball, winning a lot of games (i.e. Tennessee). At Iowa he ran the ball again. Personnel is the key. You do what you have to do to compete. If your not running the ball there is a reason.

The incoming class has some solid receivers that will block. Incoming OL look good as well. With two new coach hire opportunities, the key will be are they great recruiters. Like all teams we need speed, speed, and more speed at all positions except offensive line and nose tackle. Every team is looking for speed, some times you are forced to take what you can get.

It is all about recruiting, development, and coaching. We have the development. Recruiting has improved, but needs to keep improving. Coaching is solid given our personnel. I hope the new hires are young hardworking recruiters. Need a strong secondary coach whether it is an inside advancement or a new hire to replace Grinch. A defensive coordinator to replace Grinch again whether it is from inside or outside.

Last edited:
You are comparing offensive production with what WSU is “running” and what these other two schools are running...I’m saying while foundationally the offenses may be similar, the contrast of what they are actually doing is obvious... it’s apples and oranges really. Yeah 11 times their RB ran it, what about their QB and other backs? Running the ball 3 times is completely different than what those two offenses did or what Oklahoma does. Speaking of Oklahoma, if they only ran it 3 times during a game, Mayfields efficiency rating would be crap compared to what it is. Gotta be a threat of the run, and we just refuse to do it. The talent is there...has been all year.

Not sure what "other backs" means ? Yeah TCU's QB can run a little but his runs are basically scrambles.

What is funny about your post is WSU's RB's had 23 carries against Stanford , twice as many TCU had last night. Maybe TCU is even more pure Air Raid.

Last night WSU's runs were low, but that is on the QB to check to it and they were also behind 2 scores early.

Not sure what "other backs" means ? Yeah TCU's QB can run a little but his runs are basically scrambles.

What is funny about your post is WSU's RB's had 23 carries against Stanford , twice as many TCU had last night. Maybe TCU is even more pure Air Raid.

Last night WSU's runs were low, but that is on the QB to check to it and they were also behind 2 scores early.
Yeah and we beat Stanford and controlled the tempo doing it. Without the falk brain fart pick 6 we beat them going away. Both offenses we ran last night and against Stanford were technically air raid, but the approach was drastically different. That’s all I’m saying. These other teams NEVER get into a mode where they only run it 5 times a game, yet we do it several times a year and pretty much get creamed every time. And other times we did the same thing and would have gotten creamed if it wasn’t for the defense playing lights out (Utah). Why the F can’t leach recognize this? It’s insanity.

Reactions: spongebob2017

Your RB's would never withstand carrying the ball 20 times a game. Heck from what I have watched they usually get banged up and come out if they carry it the limited amount that they do now. You have run an offense around the player you have not what you wish that had.
TCU has handed off to their RB's 377 times this season vs 430 passes. Sonny knows the stats and it appears as though he looked to be unpredictable during the game like WSU would of been if they had run 46% of the time in about 3 games this season. No one would of saw that coming and it would of been the talk of sports radio/TV every time it happened.

I think, looking back, we were a pretty mediocre 9 win team. When we were bad, we were really bad. When we were good, we beat USC, Stanford, and Boise St. by a nose

Beating 3 Teams that will Finish the year in the Top 25 by a nose.

Good Hell People.......Some Of you really deserved the Paul Wulff Years.

Reactions: OrangeGravy
Beating 3 Teams that will Finish the year in the Top 25 by a nose.

Good Hell People.......Some Of you really deserved the Paul Wulff Years.

Oh for God’s sake. The P12 was the worst P5 conference by a wide margin this year. We weren’t a terrible team, but should we sell commemorative DVDs to celebrate the season?

Stop bringing up Wulff. That’s so played.

Reactions: Coug90
Oh for God’s sake. The P12 was the worst P5 conference by a wide margin this year. We weren’t a terrible team, but should we sell commemorative DVDs to celebrate the season?

Stop bringing up Wulff. That’s so played.

Wulff ALWAYS matters.

Wulff's curse - No WSU team will win more games in one year than he did in 4 years

What is pathetic is that you feel the need to post our personal info on here. You and Yaki, who posts about us late Saturday evenings and Christmas eve, need to get a life. I'm sure the two of you are related.

I don't see you crying about others that are critical of the offense or defense. So quit crying like a little girl and grow the fck up.

I was banned, but I re-instated myself as I have zero respect for Hood who plays favorites and doesn't enforce the rules across the board when people like you break them. He is a pussy.
It’s cool man. Everyone knows this guy is Don Corleone, Mrs Cavannaughs cousin. I have heard that Mo Green is out of the Tropicana and his sons Mike and Fredo are taking over.

Reactions: spongebob2017
Yep...we get killed when we don't run the ball. This massacre was easy to predict. When we run it 23 plus times, our record is very good. That seems to be the magic number but whenever we do that, we go back to running it 6 times.

Most frustrating thing is, this offense could be damn near unstoppable if we would just have kept Morrow and Wicks(before he got hurt) in the backfield together 90% of the time as they are two of our best players and ran the fng ball.

But for some reason, Williams gets the most(of the limited) reps. Will never understand that.

What a revelation! When we’re running the ball to kill the clock when we’re ahead we win! Wow!

Reactions: YakiCoug
What an idiotic post. And when we run the ball 5 or 6 times, we lose. We've also been known to throw the ball when ahead when it is clock burning time so your post has zero merit even when trying to be a smart as$

What’s idiotic is you.

Where are you when WSU wins? Is Leach going to get it done here?

Reactions: YakiCoug
Usually out celebrating and not posting with my "friends" on here.

Do you call 1-5 in Apple Cups and getting our asses kicked in 4 of them getting it done? How many points did we have combined in our last 2 games at half?

When you win 9, 8 and 9 games, that is getting it done.

We had those players during the Apple Cup you jackass! That is not an excuse. Everyone is injured/loses players this time of year. See the Leach video of his locker room if you want to continue to use that excuse.

How many chins do you have now, fat boy?

If you think Ok State, TCU etc runs the same offense as Leach does, I have a beach front property in Pullman to sell you.

Just because they line up in shotgun doesn't mean they run Leach's offense.

Those teams actually run the ball.

OK Genius here is whole array of TCU plays and formations. Other than a far more mobile QB and more durable faster RB's what is different in the formations and blocking schemes etc. ?

The reality is Morrow would be an inside receiver at TCU and the other RB's would not even see the field. Yeah Leach should have called more QB draw plays with Falk. The bottom line is TCU ran the ball when they were up against weak defenses in B12. But when they faced a Stanford defense, they called 11 running plays.

If you think running the ball more would have been the key to victory against UW or MSU then you are the one that should not be making real estate deals. It might have made the scores more respectable , but other than that it would not have changed the outcome.

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/...ill-stillwater-turpin-hicks-snell-cowboys-osu

The aquatic invertebrate has trouble grasping how playing without four key starters (three on offense) can affect a team, especially one with a decent defense. But consider the shallow gene pool from which he and big sis crawled. It's amazing they weren't cast in "Dumb and Dumber."
The aquatic invertebrate has trouble grasping how playing without four key starters (three on offense) can affect a team, especially one with a decent defense. But consider the shallow gene pool from which he and big sis crawled. It's amazing they weren't cast in "Dumb and Dumber."
Of course that is a factor. But didn't they have those players when they played UW? I guess one could analyze every win and every loss. Jimmie Lake says the offense is easy to defend. Cal, BYU in 2012 gave one blue print. Drop 8. How does one counter dropping 8? What would other coaches do? Does asking how might there be a different approach to attacking the Air raid template really mean the fans aren't Cougs?

OK Genius here is whole array of TCU plays and formations. Other than a far more mobile QB and more durable faster RB's what is different in the formations and blocking schemes etc. ?

The reality is Morrow would be an inside receiver at TCU and the other RB's would not even see the field. Yeah Leach should have called more QB draw plays with Falk. The bottom line is TCU ran the ball when they were up against weak defenses in B12. But when they faced a Stanford defense, they called 11 running plays.

If you think running the ball more would have been the key to victory against UW or MSU then you are the one that should not be making real estate deals. It might have made the scores more respectable , but other than that it would not have changed the outcome.

Well Ping...what would give us a better chance at coming within 28 of the Dawgs in the AC?

Not neccesarily would we win...but we would have a heck of a lot less 3 and outs which put our D in a bad spot and would have a lot more sustained drives.

I would suggest you sit down and actually watch the games and if you know football, you will see that we don't run the same offense. We don't call the same plays. We don't have the same pass/run ratio

Nor do we have their personnel. You do what gives you the best chance to win with the personnel you have. You have to look at match-ups as well.

Nor do we have their personnel. You do what gives you the best chance to win with the personnel you have. You have to look at match-ups as well.
Match ups are important. But in a match up is UW or Cal really 28 points better than us? Let me ask you. Do you think UW puts in any new wrinkles in defensively from one Apple Cup to another? I get you do what you do well. My only skin in the game is when people say the swing pass is the same as a run. It isn't. It may net you the same yardage, but what it does to the linebackers is totally different.

Match ups are important. But in a match up is UW or Cal really 28 points better than us? Let me ask you. Do you think UW puts in any new wrinkles in defensively from one Apple Cup to another? I get you do what you do well. My only skin in the game is when people say the swing pass is the same as a run. It isn't. It may net you the same yardage, but what it does to the linebackers is totally different.

When I said matchup I met a defensive tackle to a particular guard etc.. Sometimes a player or a position is just over matched. This can change all the timing. We may match up better to one great team, than another not so great a team. It is less likely as your recruiting and depth improves. It is hard to explain to someone that may not have coached. I remember a time when a team of mine went against a team that had an amazing defensive tackle, that was bigger and faster than any of my line men. By studying film we thought we could take advantage of strengths, by giving him faults reads an trapping him when he would not be looking for it. We lost, but only by one. WSU may not match up a well with some teams as they do with others.

When I said matchup I met a defensive tackle to a particular guard etc.. Sometimes a player or a position is just over matched. This can change all the timing. We may match up better to one great team, than another not so great a team. It is less likely as your recruiting and depth improves. It is hard to explain to someone that may not have coached. I remember a time when a team of mine went against a team that had an amazing defensive tackle, that was bigger and faster than any of my line men. By studying film we thought we could take advantage of strengths, by giving him faults reads an trapping him when he would not be looking for it. We lost, but only by one. WSU may not match up a well with some teams as they do with others.
Match-ups are all over the place. Take a peek at Hercules. Stanford, USC, and Utah he was an All American. Do you know what Chris Peterson did? Made our best player on defense look marginal. Did he completely change schemes? Nope. He did two things. When Hecules stunted they washed him down the line. They let him go that way. The other thing was one small adjustment. They closed down their oline splits.

Well Ping...what would give us a better chance at coming within 28 of the Dawgs in the AC?

A more mobile QB would help. But mostly UW stopping this crazy run they are on with 5 or 6 low round NFL players on Defense. Once that Nose Guard leaves, I think they will start looking more normal. A good to great defense but not at the level they have had the last few years.

Match-ups are all over the place. Take a peek at Hercules. Stanford, USC, and Utah he was an All American. Do you know what Chris Peterson did? Made our best player on defense look marginal. Did he completely change schemes? Nope. He did two things. When Hecules stunted they washed him down the line. They let him go that way. The other thing was one small adjustment. They closed down their oline splits.

That is what I was trying to talk to you about matchups. Washington recruits highly rated offensive linemen. I wish we could get linemen like that. Up until recently we got linemen that could be developed over four or five years. Their offensive linemen were able to take advantage of Hercules strength and use it against him, just as you so well observed and explained. (Most people would not be able to pick up what you did.) They had the talent to be able to make the adjustments successfully.

Of course that is a factor. But didn't they have those players when they played UW? I guess one could analyze every win and every loss. Jimmie Lake says the offense is easy to defend. Cal, BYU in 2012 gave one blue print. Drop 8. How does one counter dropping 8? What would other coaches do? Does asking how might there be a different approach to attacking the Air raid template really mean the fans aren't Cougs?

That is a fair point , but UTAH has a really good defense and they play Leach the same way as UW and he is 3-1 against them.

UW is really good and they also live permanently in the heads of the current players. Hopefully the new crew will change that.

That is a fair point , but UTAH has a really good defense and they play Leach the same way as UW and he is 3-1 against them.

UW is really good and they also live permanently in the heads of the current players. Hopefully the new crew will change that.
USC should have a good defense year in and year out. Just because someone has a good defense doesn't that mean the scheme is what puts the brakes on in the air raid. If Utah doesn't get pressure on with their 4-3, and they have one-on one-match ups cause they don't zone up, it becomes an easier read for the QB and trusts their WR will make a play. UW just stays back and says drive the ball 80 yards. And every single time a wideout touches the ball they are gonna get hammered. Which accounts for the short arms and the drops and the fumbles. They are simply running up and hitting us.

Last edited:
Reactions: PINGDUDE4
That is what I was trying to talk to you about matchups. Washington recruits highly rated offensive linemen. I wish we could get linemen like that. Up until recently we got linemen that could be developed over four or five years. Their offensive linemen were able to take advantage of Hercules strength and use it against him, just as you so well observed and explained. (Most people would not be able to pick up what you did.) They had the talent to be able to make the adjustments successfully.
Well in theory we had an All American on the oline. What would have happened if we really shortened the guard center gap so we got to Vita out of his stance instead of when Fred was holding on like someone riding the mechanical bull at Gilly's back in the day? UW rushed three people and we did zip to counter that.

A more mobile QB would help. But mostly UW stopping this crazy run they are on with 5 or 6 low round NFL players on Defense. Once that Nose Guard leaves, I think they will start looking more normal. A good to great defense but not at the level they have had the last few years.
Isnt that what was said when Shelton, Peters and the like left? The gap has increased not the other way around in terms of margin of loss against them.

Agreed. They’ve got two first day caliber D Tackles right now who will both be gone. That’s Alabama esq and is very rare for them. Their defense will be good next year but wik come back to earth, no question.

Well in theory we had an All American on the oline. What would have happened if we really shortened the guard center gap so we got to Vita out of his stance instead of when Fred was holding on like someone riding the mechanical bull at Gilly's back in the day? UW rushed three people and we did zip to counter that.

To counter what you are talking about, in theory is: a quick pass, screen, draw, or a running back picking up a block. In theory, cutting down the line splits opens us up to a speed rush from the outside. Most teams especially Washington have the personnel to speed rush us. I have watched high school teams try to coach Leach's offense with narrower splits. Good team eat them up.

The coug s O Line would look much better if they had a coach who knew what was going on during the game. Anyone can read textbooks and go to coaching clinics to try and learn one s job. Hell for the price of a few beers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT