ADVERTISEMENT

Leach: Falk Should Have Won Heisman in 2015

9 wins with the talent level surrounding Falk is the best QB performance I've seen by a Cougar QB in 40 years. Beyond better talent on O overall, Kegel, Gesser, Bledsoe, Leaf played with stout defense. Rosenbach played with a suspect defense too, but he played behind our best OL ever, and had 1st round RB behind him, providing perfect run/pass balance.

I appreciate what Leach is saying -- the kid deserves far more credit than he has received. The MVP to his team in all college football, absolutely.

Leach being Leach. He is right about Falk though in that he should have been given more attention and not just as an afterthought. Personally, I would have voted for the Stanford kid, McCaffery. Kid did everything but sell peanuts at halftime. CML is spot on in one regard, that the honor has morphed into an award given to the best offensive skill player with the most media hype. Much extra credit given for being on a prominent team in a prominent conference. Just a wild and uninformed guess from the shallow end of the pool here but I suspect that there are defensive players or O-linemen who were more influential to their team's success than some of those who were considered and receiving votes.

Leach being Leach. He is right about Falk though in that he should have been given more attention and not just as an afterthought. Personally, I would have voted for the Stanford kid, McCaffery. Kid did everything but sell peanuts at halftime. CML is spot on in one regard, that the honor has morphed into an award given to the best offensive skill player with the most media hype. Much extra credit given for being on a prominent team in a prominent conference. Just a wild and uninformed guess from the shallow end of the pool here but I suspect that there are defensive players or O-linemen who were more influential to their team's success than some of those who were considered and receiving votes.
Agreed. I don't know if Falk was truly the Heisman winner but he certainly deserved a good dollop more attention than he was given. And I agree with CML that the focus or parameters in whom wins the Heisman has changed… But didn't that change, like, 100 years ago? He's just being our Head Coach, and I like that. He's WSU's advocate.

Regarding this leadership that Falk has… It makes me wonder if Hillinski is soaking this up. If some of the others are… I hope so. We are still the transition stage from doormat to competitor. While we had a great, great season last year, WSU's program could still be considered to be in a precarious position.

Agreed. I don't know if Falk was truly the Heisman winner but he certainly deserved a good dollop more attention than he was given. And I agree with CML that the focus or parameters in whom wins the Heisman has changed… But didn't that change, like, 100 years ago? He's just being our Head Coach, and I like that. He's WSU's advocate.

Regarding this leadership that Falk has… It makes me wonder if Hillinski is soaking this up. If some of the others are… I hope so. We are still the transition stage from doormat to competitor. While we had a great, great season last year, WSU's program could still be considered to be in a precarious position.
Oh I think Leach was dead on. If Falk didn't play last year do we win four games? If McCaffrey didn't play does Stanford finish less than .500? There is no question in my mind he resurrected the program and single handily did something some of the best qbs in WSU history did not....having a winning season as a soph and but way more impressive were drives(Oregon, Rutgers, UCLA) where they scored on the last possession to either win in the last 30 seconds, or tie and out the game in OT on the last play. That alone should have won him the Heisman.

It's not even "skill position player" anymore. It's basically the best QB or RB on one of the best teams award. It's been 18 years since Charles Woodson won his.

WSU would probably have to go to the Rose Bowl for Falk to even have a shot at that award. When was the last time a guy on a 9'ish win, Sun Bowl'ish team won it?

The Heisman has morphed into a useless, joke of an award. I think everyone knows it, yet it still receives so much attention.

Reactions: Coug95man2
I think it will be hard for a Leach-based quarterback to win the Heisman, but if someone's going to do it it would be Falk. This year he's still got a chance but its an uphill battle. But I do think he's dead on - Heisman attention comes with wins for your team. WSU is definitely going up and should win at least 9 this year, but if they get more he'll definitely get the attention

The cougs will have to run the table for Falk to have a chance. If they lose to Boise S.the campaign will be over before t starts.

Well, apples and oranges. Well, not quite right...more like Red Delicious and Honeycrisps. A Leach system is designed to produce good QBs who put up great numbers. That's what it's designed for. But it's a short type of passing system that depends a good deal on YACs. Also, there are huge media markets like LA and NYC....then there are small to medium like Seattle....then there is Pullman. Like others have said, if Leaf couldn't get a Heisman with the 97 season and all the hype from that, then Falk has next to no chance. He would have to engineer a massive upset on some national TV game (how many games do the cougs have like that?) where he throws for 400+ with 5 TDs.....then repeat it.

You do the math

The Stanford game may fit the bill? If the cougs are undefeated .He has a chance.Perhaps \that coupled with a win in the Championship game might do it. It is a long shot but possible.

The Stanford game may fit the bill? If the cougs are undefeated .He has a chance.Perhaps \that coupled with a win in the Championship game might do it. It is a long shot but possible.
I actually agree with that....!!??? If the cougs can hold CM somewhat in check, and Falk can outduel him....??? But there are already candidates in place in Clemson, bama, and furd, so it will be an uphill battle..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT