ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to BSU, am I the only one that thinks blue turf...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
....should be banned. Frankly any color that doesn't resemble natural grass.

The blue turf had it's place when BSU needed, or wanted, the attention.

I frankly think of their program:
1. Young: rebel, wanted to stand out, so they put in blue turf.
2. Mature: you have made your mark, act like a big football program.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
It's tough to watch a BSU home game on TV, the contrast is very poor and I find it difficult to watch, especially when BSU wears their dark blue game jerseys. I'm ready for BSU to decline and keep declining. Not really a fan.

It's certainly ugly. Not convinced it should be banned though.

It's not as bad as EWU's red turf. That's an assault on the retinas.

Agree......the red is worse...and I never thought I'd say that there was a turf worse than BSU's smurf turf.

Just wait for Phil Knight to install the High lighter yellow field at Autzen.
highlighter-background.jpg

Minimally, they should have to wear contrasting (and when I say contrasting, I mean quadruple-bleached white) uniforms--I honestly think there can be a camouflage effect of the blue-on-blue, which to me is a real poor-sport, cheap way of trying to gain an advantage.

Football should be played on a green field. If I had my choice colors other than green would be banned.

totally agree. BSU is like their blue field--largely a one trick pony, a freak sideshow not much of a real college. I saw where they were touted as a future member of the "P16"--such would be a disaster for real universities

totally agree. BSU is like their blue field--largely a one trick pony, a freak sideshow not much of a real college. I saw where they were touted as a future member of the "P16"--such would be a disaster for real universities

The recent article on ESPN about conference expansion was ignorant clickbait that will never happen. That article put Hawaii, CSU, BSU and and UNLV in the Pac-12 conference. The NCAA had to bribe Power 5 teams with an extra game to get them to play at Hawaii. Boise State is a high powered JC. UNLV places no value on sports outside of basketball. Colorado State is in Fort Collins and is an afterthought in the state of Colorado behind the Buffaloes, and even then, the people of Colorado care a lot more about pro sports rather than college sports. We aren't adding SDSU (too close) or Nevada (too small). Nobody wants BYU because they won't play on Sundays. San Jose State, Utah State, Fresno State, New Mexico State, and New Mexico have no shot.

The Big 12 is not taking Air Force, BYU, SMU, Tulane, Rice, New Mexico and Houston. Watering down the Big 12 like that would ruin the league. There is a strong desire to get back to 12 teams and I can see that happening in the next couple years, but the majority of desirable programs have already been assimilated into the Power 5 conferences. The programs that are left out are out for a reason. Sometimes it's nothing more than they had the misfortune of not getting picked before someone else. Two teams will probably get lucky and get selected, but then again, ask West Virginia about life in the Big 12 and when it comes to football, most of their fans would probably tell you that they enjoyed the Big East more.

The Big 12 is not taking Air Force, BYU, SMU, Tulane, Rice, New Mexico and Houston. Watering down the Big 12 like that would ruin the league. There is a strong desire to get back to 12 teams and I can see that happening in the next couple years, but the majority of desirable programs have already been assimilated into the Power 5 conferences. The programs that are left out are out for a reason. Sometimes it's nothing more than they had the misfortune of not getting picked before someone else. Two teams will probably get lucky and get selected, but then again, ask West Virginia about life in the Big 12 and when it comes to football, most of their fans would probably tell you that they enjoyed the Big East more.
I agree with you completely. But, which two are going to get lucky? I don't really see any programs out there that I are likely to be attractive to a P-5 conference.

It's going to have to be someone who's had consistent success as a mid-major for a number of years (a la TCU), and brings something to the table. Boise State is the next one to look at as a program with consistent success, but there's no depth to them - they've got a decent football team at a crappy, small market school. I think BYU gets invited before BSU...and I don't think BYU is getting invited.

Right now, there's nobody ripe for promotion. I think it's much more likely that there's another re-shuffling of the existing P-5, or that 4 of the P-5 cannibalize the other one (and at the moment, the Big 12 looks like the most likely to get taken apart).

I agree with you completely. But, which two are going to get lucky? I don't really see any programs out there that I are likely to be attractive to a P-5 conference.

It's going to have to be someone who's had consistent success as a mid-major for a number of years (a la TCU), and brings something to the table. Boise State is the next one to look at as a program with consistent success, but there's no depth to them - they've got a decent football team at a crappy, small market school. I think BYU gets invited before BSU...and I don't think BYU is getting invited.

Right now, there's nobody ripe for promotion. I think it's much more likely that there's another re-shuffling of the existing P-5, or that 4 of the P-5 cannibalize the other one (and at the moment, the Big 12 looks like the most likely to get taken apart).

If not for the ego that Texas has, the Big 12 would already be dead. The Pac-12 would have gladly taken Texas +3 other teams back in the day to have the original 16 team conference. I agree that the tough task right now is finding viable candidates. The Big 12 has it slightly easier than us because they can expand their footprint into major cities if they want to. Cincinnati and Memphis would bring close to 4 million potential new fans into their footprint just looking at their MSA's and not surrounding areas. When looking at Pac-12 areas for expansion, we can't do that without scavenging from the Big 12 as you suggested.

I believe you are ignoring the fact that Boise State has a diesel mechanic med school.

Neither Blue nor Red are the colors of a football field. I can buy three choices: green (obvious); white (played a lot of games in the snow); or mud colored, which was usually how our high school field looked by the time the snow was just about ready to fall. All other colors are revisionist.

Neither Blue nor Red are the colors of a football field. I can buy three choices: green (obvious); white (played a lot of games in the snow); or mud colored, which was usually how our high school field looked by the time the snow was just about ready to fall. All other colors are revisionist.

The MWC forbid BSU from wearing their blue uniforms for conference home games in 2010. The NCAA, in all their infinite wisdom, reversed that decision in 2013.
I hope we hang 50 on them.

Last edited:
The MWC forbid BSU from wearing their blue uniforms for conference home games in 2010. The NCAA, in all their infinite wisdom, reversed that decision in 2013.
I hope we hang 50 on them.

I dislike the Smurf turf also but don't get the part on the uni's. Should they ban green uniforms? What about Army's camo uni's?

I dislike the Smurf turf also but don't get the part on the uni's. Should they ban green uniforms? What about Army's camo uni's?

The blue of the field and the blue of the uniforms are the same blue color, as they based the color of the field on the school colors.

While there are teams with green in their color scheme, none of them based it on the color of grass or turf. So, while a uniform and grass may both be green, they are not the same green.

If not for the ego that Texas has, the Big 12 would already be dead. The Pac-12 would have gladly taken Texas +3 other teams back in the day to have the original 16 team conference. I agree that the tough task right now is finding viable candidates. The Big 12 has it slightly easier than us because they can expand their footprint into major cities if they want to. Cincinnati and Memphis would bring close to 4 million potential new fans into their footprint just looking at their MSA's and not surrounding areas. When looking at Pac-12 areas for expansion, we can't do that without scavenging from the Big 12 as you suggested.
The problem I see with Cincinnati and Memphis is that both are overshadowed by bigger programs, even in their own markets. Ohio state and Tennessee will always trump both of them, and the market is further divided by Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and a half dozen smaller programs. So while there are 4 million inherit market area, I suspect a significant percentage of those viewers are already watching someone else.

Look at their stadium and attendance to support this. Cincinnati's stadium only seats 40K. Memphis shares their with the Titans, so it seats 60K+, but the Tigers play in front of a lot of empty seats.

Minimally, they should have to wear contrasting (and when I say contrasting, I mean quadruple-bleached white) uniforms--I honestly think there can be a camouflage effect of the blue-on-blue, which to me is a real poor-sport, cheap way of trying to gain an advantage.

I am not BSU apologist, but no one ever makes this complaint when green teams wear green uniforms on a green field. (Oregon, Michigan State, etc)

If you can't tell the difference between human beings and turf, it might be time to see an ophthalmologist.

I am not BSU apologist, but no one ever makes this complaint when green teams wear green uniforms on a green field. (Oregon, Michigan State, etc)

If you can't tell the difference between human beings and turf, it might be time to see an ophthalmologist.
Haven't paid that close attention to know the answer, but I'd think the teams you mention have at least some contrast between jerseys, pants, and helmet so it's not one uniform color across all three that matches the field exactly. I could see where a DB--who's trying to keep tabs of several guys breaking multiple directions and who only has a split second to scan for opponents--might lose someone who blends into the background (even if only for a millisecond) long enough to give the receiver some separation. I'm not suggesting that they disappear, just that it might give them a slight advantage.

BSU to the Pac 12 comes up all the time. The media thinks it would be a good idea, meanwhile, you have 12 university presidents lining up to say "no".

Your forgot to mention the hundreds of thousands of Pac-12 alumni lining up to say no as well.

There are so many reasons why they do not fit. For one, they accept players that could not get into the rest of the conference schools. Once they start playing a full P12 schedule and if/when they do not have success, then you are stuck with a mediocre school in a small market.

I think the root of it is that football has always been played on grass...green grass.
If grass was and always had been blue, no one would have a problem with blue uniforms.

I think the root of it is that football has always been played on grass...green grass.
If grass was and always had been blue, no one would have a problem with blue uniforms.

18j4x0gi0zao7jpg.jpg

I think it's pretty obvious that BSU was happy with the coincidence that the blue turf might make it harder for an opposing player to visually acquire a BSU player (even if it's just a fraction of a second) and they are definitely seeking a psychological advantage if nothing else. If you are a QB scanning the field in a couple seconds, it seems like it would be easier to throw an interception on this turf compared to green turf.

I agree that it's always been about grass being green as to what color turf is, but I agree with the earlier poster that you don't see schools that wear green intentionally picking a green that matches their uniform colors.

The blue turf in Boise doesn't bother me I think it actually looks cool , When I heard EWU was installing the red turf I thought that might work but it turns out on TV as awful. My guess is when it is time to reinstall turf in Cheney they go for green.

The blue turf in Boise doesn't bother me I think it actually looks cool , When I heard EWU was installing the red turf I thought that might work but it turns out on TV as awful. My guess is when it is time to reinstall turf in Cheney they go for green.
I'd disagree that EWU will get rid of the Red Turf. They're whole marketing plan is surrounded by "The Inferno". Without red turf, they're just "The Green Field" marketing plan.So to get rid of it, they're going to have to redu their whole marketing plan… which I guess is possible but just a bigger deal than just, changing turf. I also don't think they are looking at it through the prism of TV viewership. They are too small. I'm sure they love the TV exposure but they don't get it enough to be concerned about the optics (literally) of the red field. They want it to be a fun "game day".

I'd disagree that EWU will get rid of the Red Turf. They're whole marketing plan is surrounded by "The Inferno". Without red turf, they're just "The Green Field" marketing plan.So to get rid of it, they're going to have to redu their whole marketing plan… which I guess is possible but just a bigger deal than just, changing turf. I also don't think they are looking at it through the prism of TV viewership. They are too small. I'm sure they love the TV exposure but they don't get it enough to be concerned about the optics (literally) of the red field. They want it to be a fun "game day".

I haven't been to Cheney in a long time so I have no idea what it looks like in person, I wonder how the fans feel about the red turf.

I haven't been to Cheney in a long time so I have no idea what it looks like in person, I wonder how the fans feel about the red turf.
Don't know what they think… I'd guess they find it a way to be different. Their colors are Red and White. We are Crimson and Gray. Both in Eastern WA. Huh. Oddly similar and WSU casts a pretty big shadow in such a small market. They are small and this is a way for them to really put themselves out there.

But "The Inferno" is their "thing". I've never heard a bad word about it, except from others outside of that school… I'd say it's a success in their eyes because they've put their whole programs marketing plan behind it.

But on a complete side track… Does WSU have a "thing"? I mean think about any other school. They have a thing. The 12th (TAMU). LSU. Florida. Nebraska. They all have something for the fans to grasp onto. Do we? We had,
"And that's another… (Cougar First Down!!!)" thing but that got nixed. We've tried to hold onto the whole, players off the bus and touching the Cougar statue, thing prior to the game… But would anyone consider that a success or even something for fans to grasp onto? There are times I really feel like WSU struggles to find it's identity. EWU has even found one that's original… Would the CrimZone be something down the road? I don't know… just thinking out loud.

Don't know what they think… I'd guess they find it a way to be different. Their colors are Red and White. We are Crimson and Gray. Both in Eastern WA. Huh. Oddly similar and WSU casts a pretty big shadow in such a small market. They are small and this is a way for them to really put themselves out there.

But "The Inferno" is their "thing". I've never heard a bad word about it, except from others outside of that school… I'd say it's a success in their eyes because they've put their whole programs marketing plan behind it.

But on a complete side track… Does WSU have a "thing"? I mean think about any other school. They have a thing. The 12th (TAMU). LSU. Florida. Nebraska. They all have something for the fans to grasp onto. Do we? We had,
"And that's another… (Cougar First Down!!!)" thing but that got nixed. We've tried to hold onto the whole, players off the bus and touching the Cougar statue, thing prior to the game… But would anyone consider that a success or even something for fans to grasp onto? There are times I really feel like WSU struggles to find it's identity. EWU has even found one that's original… Would the CrimZone be something down the road? I don't know… just thinking out loud.
The flag on Gameday is the closest we have to a "Thing". But I'd say no, we don't have any regular fan traditions in Pullman. The "Cougar prowl" is a fairly lame attempt at one (stolen from Nebraska, Clemson, and others), and the "CrimZone" (and basketball "Zzu crew") are fairly unoriginal, unimaginative, and extremely low effort attempts too. They've milked the "Jaws" thing for years (which was stolen from Florida)...it was kind of pathetic when they used it with our 2005-2012 defenses, if you can remember the 1994 defense that really earned it.

This is another thing that you can blame on our poor athletic marketing. We don't have a "hook", and make very little attempt to draw people (as we've discussed here every offseason for over a decade). But then, I guess you can't expect much from a department that can't even see a benefit in bringing their own creamery to the stadium as a vendor.

Sweet lord, everyone racing the ban things. Ban this, ban that.
If the turf is real grass it should be green. If the turf is plastic, let it be any color the school wants. Its plastic for cryin' out loud.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT