ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of NCAA shit going down

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Links below. Stupid BS lawsuit by ASU swimmer gets approved. Now the NCAA says schools can pay athletes directly. Oh and Penn State is going to spend $700 million to enhance its 106,000 capacity FB stadium.

OK Cougs, it's time to get real. Let's make sure you are all aware that WSU is not eligible to participate in the 12 team CFP playoff in 2024, because we will no longer be P5, and we are not in a G5 conference. While we are eligible to compete for the WCC title(s) in BB, we get -0- money from any NCCA tournament allocations even if we earn them (recall that women's BB might start getting their own allocation crumbs.)

The Pac-2 has to keep the conference alive to get the approx. $30M in FY 27-30 NCAA BB tournament allocations. If we bailed in FY25, we would lose year 2, and maybe(?) the $50M final Rose Bowl allocation. Or have to share with the traitors. I can't find an answer to that one.

WSU cannot compete with the P4 in NIL, paying players directly, or FB ticket revenues. I am sure that I am missing some things. To hold out and try to beg our way into the ACC or Big-12 is just a suicide mission on many fronts, including the above and the logistical costs involved.

So it is imperative that we recognize reality and engage the MW in the reverse merger to become the Pac-12/14. For FY 2026. F- year 2 of the WCC deal. F-the year 2 highway robbery of our shitty affiliation deal with the MW. F paying out our precious $250M (and being spent by the day) to lure any subset of MW or other teams to join the new Pac. Get us in our new league next year, start earning NCAA BB money again, and be positioned for whatever the top G5 team(s) may get in the next iteration of the CFP. And be a real league for upcoming FY 27 TV negotiations as the MW deal ends in FY 26. And finally, hope to keep some of our Bowl affiliations, logically the Holiday and/or LV, both of which are in MW cities.

This is so obvious, and so logical.

Links below. Stupid BS lawsuit by ASU swimmer gets approved. Now the NCAA says schools can pay athletes directly. Oh and Penn State is going to spend $700 million to enhance its 106,000 capacity FB stadium.

OK Cougs, it's time to get real. Let's make sure you are all aware that WSU is not eligible to participate in the 12 team CFP playoff in 2024, because we will no longer be P5, and we are not in a G5 conference. While we are eligible to compete for the WCC title(s) in BB, we get -0- money from any NCCA tournament allocations even if we earn them (recall that women's BB might start getting their own allocation crumbs.)

The Pac-2 has to keep the conference alive to get the approx. $30M in FY 27-30 NCAA BB tournament allocations. If we bailed in FY25, we would lose year 2, and maybe(?) the $50M final Rose Bowl allocation. Or have to share with the traitors. I can't find an answer to that one.

WSU cannot compete with the P4 in NIL, paying players directly, or FB ticket revenues. I am sure that I am missing some things. To hold out and try to beg our way into the ACC or Big-12 is just a suicide mission on many fronts, including the above and the logistical costs involved.

So it is imperative that we recognize reality and engage the MW in the reverse merger to become the Pac-12/14. For FY 2026. F- year 2 of the WCC deal. F-the year 2 highway robbery of our shitty affiliation deal with the MW. F paying out our precious $250M (and being spent by the day) to lure any subset of MW or other teams to join the new Pac. Get us in our new league next year, start earning NCAA BB money again, and be positioned for whatever the top G5 team(s) may get in the next iteration of the CFP. And be a real league for upcoming FY 27 TV negotiations as the MW deal ends in FY 26. And finally, hope to keep some of our Bowl affiliations, logically the Holiday and/or LV, both of which are in MW cities.

This is so obvious, and so logical.

I read a summary of the settlement last night, and if that’s what went through we’re getting screwed again. The settlement has non-power conferences/teams paying more than the remaining power teams. And the SEC & Big 10 wanted the proportion to be even smaller.

My question is, why are the networks being left out of the settlement? They’re the ones who really commercialized everything.

OK Cougs, it's time to get real. Let's make sure you are all aware that WSU is not eligible to participate in the 12 team CFP playoff in 2024, because we will no longer be P5, and we are not in a G5 conference

Per CBSSports.com:

OSU and WSU would not be eligible for the Mountain West Championship Game nor an automatic bid to the College Football Playoff, which expands to 12 teams next season. CFP sources confirmed to Dennis Dodd they would be eligible for an at-large berth should they finish in or around the top 12.

LINK: Oregon State, Washington State, Mountain West finalize scheduling agreement for 2024 college football season

Per CBSSports.com:

OSU and WSU would not be eligible for the Mountain West Championship Game nor an automatic bid to the College Football Playoff, which expands to 12 teams next season. CFP sources confirmed to Dennis Dodd they would be eligible for an at-large berth should they finish in or around the top 12.

LINK: Oregon State, Washington State, Mountain West finalize scheduling agreement for 2024 college football season
I stand corrected on that. Good find Pete

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT