ADVERTISEMENT

Marcellus Pippins-Boss up!!!

I like Pippens too and I think he's a pretty solid PAC 12 corner. You obviously have a history with the kid and give him a tremendous amount of support and I respect that...But you seriously are Lavar Balling this up right now. Everyone is clowning on you for the over the top stuff...what's your motivation?

I hope pippens has a great year and think he's capable, but you are inviting relentless punishment with some of this material.

From what I can recall, I've never seen CaliTrojan4Life claiming Pippins is a surefire NFL player. I've only seen guys on this board imply that he is saying that. More generally, it seems from his comments like they're motivated by showing how he's done well in limited PT and questioning why he's not getting more PT. I'll flat-out admit that I don't know much about playing defensive back, but I can judge athleticism and certain aspects of the craft. From what I've seen, it's looked for the past few years like he was our best cornerback in terms of being able to make a play on the ball. I don't know that he is (or isn't) the best tackler, is the most consistent (or is not), etc., but if we needed an INT or a pass knocked down, he's the cornerback I'd choose to get that done. I'm not going to say our coaches don't know what they're doing or aren't putting the guy in there they trust the best -- why would they do that -- but with the caveats I gave above, there have been times I've also wondered why he hasn't gotten more PT.

With Charleston White now gone, I think there's a real chance for Pippins to get more PT this year and really shine. I hope he does that.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
From what I can recall, I've never seen CaliTrojan4Life claiming Pippins is a surefire NFL player. I've only seen guys on this board imply that he is saying that. More generally, it seems from his comments like they're motivated by showing how he's done well in limited PT and questioning why he's not getting more PT. I'll flat-out admit that I don't know much about playing defensive back, but I can judge athleticism and certain aspects of the craft. From what I've seen, it's looked for the past few years like he was our best cornerback in terms of being able to make a play on the ball. I don't know that he is (or isn't) the best tackler, is the most consistent (or is not), etc., but if we needed an INT or a pass knocked down, he's the cornerback I'd choose to get that done. I'm not going to say our coaches don't know what they're doing or aren't putting the guy in there they trust the best -- why would they do that -- but with the caveats I gave above, there have been times I've also wondered why he hasn't gotten more PT.

With Charleston White now gone, I think there's a real chance for Pippins to get more PT this year and really shine. I hope he does that.

All I remember is Cali claiming MP was the best cornerback on the team and he's entitled to his opinion.

I get what you are saying about not supporting players and I think fans in general should err on the side of caution when criticizing their own guys. FWIW, my first comment was made mostly in jest. I'm pissed at him for giving up a TD like that but I understand that it happens and I was mostly kidding. I would bet that he and the coaches had a lengthy discussion about it and I'm sure that it was 75% "feces occurs" and 25% "make sure it doesn't happen again". I really do hope that he has a great season in 2017 and I agree he is the best cornerback that we've had in a while. How he ranks as a senior compared to the rest of the league remains to be seen.

In terms of supporting players, the fans that get me angry are the ones that say that a WSU player who has been selected All Pac-12 honorable mention or even all-conference is not really any good and that there are a number of other players that they'd rather have playing on their team. Alex Brink and Connor Halliday come to mind. Fans who openly root for our players to fail on the field to justify their dislike of them baffle me. I would never root for Pippins to fail and I wish him the best this season.

I respect you for coming here to stick up for your guy and you can rest easy knowing that WSU fans are rooting for his success.
Much respect coach. I appreciate that.

CT4L

All I remember is Cali claiming MP was the best cornerback on the team and he's entitled to his opinion.
There was also a bit of "your coaches are horsesh!t and don't know what they are doing because they won't play him".

While this may or may not have been true, I've seen nothing from the db group to suggest that one player is heads an shoulders above another through last season, outside of Luani. At least not enough to make me second guess the coaching staff.

I couldn't have said it better. Mic drop!!

There was also a bit of "your coaches are horsesh!t and don't know what they are doing because they won't play him".

While this may or may not have been true, I've seen nothing from the db group to suggest that one player is heads an shoulders above another through last season, outside of Luani. At least not enough to make me second guess the coaching staff.
I never said the Wazzu coaches are "horsesh!t" or any other derogatory word. I may have said, they're not utilizing the best DB they have enough and that's pretty much as far as it went in regards to the coaches. I'm a coach so I try to give coaches the benefit of the doubt even when I see things differently and that's what I did in this case. I didn't bring Leach up one time. I may have question Grinch's choice for starting an unproven freshman over Pippins, but I can guarantee you I didn't curse him out over it. I consider myself as being better than that.

I never said the Wazzu coaches are "horsesh!t" or any other derogatory word. I may have said, they're not utilizing the best DB they have enough and that's pretty much as far as it went in regards to the coaches. I'm a coach so I try to give coaches the benefit of the doubt even when I see things differently and that's what I did in this case. I didn't bring Leach up one time. I may have question Grinch's choice for starting an unproven freshman over Pippins, but I can guarantee you I didn't curse him out over it. I consider myself as being better than that.

I don't have the time or energy to look it up, but you were very direct about calling them out. While you may not have used vulgarity (sorry, I use it for emphasis, shouldn't have used quotes), there was no doubt how you felt about their coaching ability/ judgement or lack thereof due to not starting Pippins, basically since he was an unproven freshman.

The only reason I side with the coaches in this regard is that there are unknowns, AND YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT if you are a coach - things such as work ethic in practice (which is HUGE in this culture), weights, discipline, coachability - we fans don't know anything about that stuff because the coaches and players don't talk about it. In these cases, where one player doesn't clearly rise to the top (over the past 2 seasons), I defer to the coaching staffs judgement because of those unknowns.

He's not wrong. Pippins has been the better player.

Not to overly speculate, but I'd have to guess practice deficits, attitude/effort, and other non-visible things to us probably put the other guys over him.

But in the game when it counts, he was the better corner. And that begs the question of how much better he could have performed if he was doing all he needed to, to earn all of the starts/PT.

He's an SC fan and there's going to be banter. I'm not going to let an opposing fan make me say anything bad about WSU players.

The only reason I side with the coaches in this regard is that there are unknowns, AND YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT if you are a coach - things such as work ethic in practice (which is HUGE in this culture), weights, discipline, coachability - we fans don't know anything about that stuff because the coaches and players don't talk about it. In these cases, where one player doesn't clearly rise to the top (over the past 2 seasons), I defer to the coaching staffs judgement because of those unknowns.
That's your prerogative to side with the coaches but you need to know coaches can be wrong and trust me, so can a chemistry professor. We're all humans and we all make mistakes may it be judgement or a decision. That said, I think highly of coach Leach's Air Raid offense. I was hoping to see him or one of his assistant give a presentation on it at a seminar so that I could learn more about it. As an OC I'm a pass first type of coach so the Air Raid is something I was very interesting in b4 I retired from coaching.

He's not wrong. Pippins has been the better player.

Not to overly speculate, but I'd have to guess practice deficits, attitude/effort, a nd other non-visible things to us probably put the other guys over him.

But in the game when it counts, he was the better corner. And that begs the question of how much better he could have performed if he was doing all he needed to, to earn all of the starts/PT.
Solid post. I don't know what goes on in practice but on game day Pippins is ready to play. Some players are better game day players then they are practice players. That doesn't mean they don't give 100% in practice at all. It could be a lot of reasons why a player performs better on game day then he does in practice. I've had many kids that had terrible practice habits but on game day they look like they've been coached. Pippins looks like he's being coached on game day so I'd be shocked if he's half ass'n it in practice. I haven't read or heard of any reports of that.

Let's cut through the crap.....

The best Senior Corner on a PC12 Bowl qualifying squad is usually drafted.

What round is #27 Drafted in CaliTrojan4Life?

Let's cut through the crap.....

The best Senior Corner on a PC12 Bowl qualifying squad is usually drafted.

What round is #27 Drafted in CaliTrojan4Life?
First of all, I've never been into guessing a players future in regards to the NFL draft. I'm in the now not the future. Ask me a question about Pippins future with the Cougars not the NFL. Secondly, my argument has never been about the draft so let's make that clear. It's not a break or make situation for the young man. That said, had Pippins played the entire game as a starter the last two years I'm sure you know it would have enhanced his draft status. So maybe you should have asked me how do I think Pippins will do against my Trojans.

Thanks For Exposing Your Horse Shit ass.

I asked you a simple question.

What Round is he drafted?

You try to deflect.

I go back to your "Chosen One" quote in this thread. The NFL gives two shits about "chosen ones".

So, unless you give us a round, you are nothing more than a blow hard like everyone has pegged your ass as!

Come on big shot!

Thanks For Exposing Your Horse Shit ass.

I asked you a simple question.

What Round is he drafted?

You try to deflect.

I go back to your "Chosen One" quote in this thread. The NFL gives two shits about "chosen ones".

So, unless you give us a round, you are nothing more than a blow hard like everyone has pegged your ass as!

Come on big shot!
First of all son, you're the one full of horse shit and I should horse whip you for being disrespectful to your superior. Secondly, as I told your ignorant ass as a courtesy my argument was never about draft status. Thirdly, no one has pegged anything but I'm pegging you as a donkey (ass). And lastly, the reference to (chosen one) has nothing to do with what you're referring to. And btw, I suggest you take your own advice next time to not "blow harder" then needed or required.

First of all son, you're the one full of horse shit and I should horse whip you for being disrespectful to your superior. Secondly, as I told your ignorant ass as a courtesy my argument was never about draft status. Thirdly, no one has pegged anything but I'm pegging you as a donkey (ass). And lastly, the reference to (chosen one) has nothing to do with what you're referring to. And btw, I suggest you take your own advice next time to not "blow harder" then needed or required.

I see that Robert Duvall from "Second Hand Lions" has stepped into the building. ;)

First of all, Lavar Ball is a straight up assclown. I'm nothing like that guy. When it comes to Pippins you are correct. I've known the young man for years and I'm a well respected Prep HS football coach in NorCal since 1998. I've also been a SPARQS Nike Combine/Camp circuit coach in the Bay Area region. So when you say a fan base is clowning on me for speaking the truth, tell them to do the math because numbers don't lie. Coug90, can you show me proof that there is a CB on the Cougars current roster that has outplayed Pippins by numbers or otherwise? The day you show me proof of this will be the day I stop supporting the young man on this site. Hoping the Cougars have a great year!!!
No, I think pippens IS the best corner they have. And I'm not asking you to not support him everyone here supports him and wants him to succeed...because we are all Cougs! But some of your rants about him are a bit Lavar Ballish, which is why people take pot shots at you.

CaliTrojanGuy, your first mistake is trying to convince anyone that you're being objective here. You're not. You know the kid, you love him, you're rooting for him.

Second mistake is incessantly arguing with idiots on a football message board.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
CaliTrojanGuy, your first mistake is trying to convince anyone that you're being objective here. You're not. You know the kid, you love him, you're rooting for him.

You mean he is arguing with himself?

This guys unabashed, over the top, biased support of one of our players has driven some so-called Cougar diehards to jump in the opposing camp.

Gotta love this site.

Agree I'm rooting for him as well as Wazzu but I'm not trying to convince anyone. My point has been made in regards to who's the best CB on Wazzu's roster. I'm just waiting for the season to start. Pippins isn't the only non-USC player I'll be watching all season. I'll be watching his teammates from El Cerrito Adarius Pickett (UCLA) and D.J Calhoun (Arizona State).

This guys unabashed, over the top, biased support of one of our players has driven some so-called Cougar diehards to jump in the opposing camp.

Gotta love this site.
Wrong. I had an opinion and the Cougar die-hards are mature enough to realize that it wasn't a bias based opinion but it was a factual based opinion. So are you saying a poster from another camp can't give his opinion on a Wazzu player? That bites.

Wrong. I had an opinion and the Cougar die-hards are mature enough to realize that it wasn't a bias based opinion but it was a factual based opinion. So are you saying a poster from another camp can't give his opinion on a Wazzu player? That bites.

Not at all. I find irony in the fact that the way you choose to endorse MP offends some people to the point where they start criticizing the kid.

Not at all. I find irony in the fact that the way you choose to endorse MP offends some people to the point where they start criticizing the kid.

For the record, I like Pippins and think he's our best cornerback. I still think he had a half-assed, pathetic finish to the play where he gave up the TD in the Holiday Bowl. I was criticizing the result of one play. I found it entertaining that our condom friend that claims to be a respected coach was insisting that defensive backs are trained to tip the ball to each other during games. A good defensive back coach takes the attitude that either his player gets the ball.....or nobody does. Only an idiot thinks that it's a good idea to tip balls around randomly with the hopes that our guys will catch it. It happens by luck on occasion and it's great when it goes our way.

For my criticism of Pippins, I think he needs to be better if he wants to get paid on Sundays. Whether he can or not is up to him.

Understood CougPatrol. We're in total agreement. I remember a few years back on the USC board we had a few supporters of high school QB Max Browne from Seattle. They posted how he would start as a true freshman because he's that good of a QB. I welcomed their love for the kid because he was a Trojan even though I wasn't 100% sold on Browne starting over QB Cody Kessler. During this time I was very excited that Browne chose us over the other 50 programs that wanted his services. That said, when Browne didn't get the nod over Kessler a few of those posters started bashing the coaching staff. Not knowing myself if these posters had a valid reason for bashing the coaches for not starting Browne I didn't take sides or chime in on their frustrations. Once Browne earned the starting spot last season against Bama, Utah St and Stanford it became evident to me that Darnold was clearly the better QB during his spot time in those games. Browne was tab as the better player during spring and fall practices and because of that coach Helton gave him the nod over Darnold on starting day. Real games do matter.

I love Marcellus Pippins. He is a Cougar. No matter the BS anyone tries to bring here, we all like him and are glad that he chose the Cougars to ply his trade.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT