ADVERTISEMENT

Marks signs

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
FA contract with the Jets. That may be a great match for him I think he has a chance to stick with the Jets

Answering myself The NY Jets are reporting him as signed ,I guess no confirmation from Marks yet. Devin Smith WR for the jets is now out for the season due to knee injury

Gabe isn't posting on his twitter; I suspect he's pretty disappointed to not get drafted.

That being said, getting an invite to camp is a good thing; an invite to camp with a team that is a complete sh!t show, not so good.

Gabe isn't posting on his twitter; I suspect he's pretty disappointed to not get drafted.

That being said, getting an invite to camp is a good thing; an invite to camp with a team that is a complete sh!t show, not so good.

Marks and Barber have both signed FA contracts.

Good situation for him now though with one of their top WR out with an ACL. Barring injury he will make that roster.

Surprised he did not get drafted. Big chip on that dudes shoulder I presume.

There is a big drop off in monies to free agents and drafted players. Marks and Barber signed the standard Free Agent Contracts for $1,665,000 with $465,000 guaranteed.I do not know how much a seventh round Draftee like Shalom will sign for.

Your comments on User Name "Phoquad" from the Times article. Do you agree?
Your thoughts?

From Phoquod....
"I think Gabe has it backwards. Yes, someone has to execute, but that's sort of the point. When you throw it 75 times in a game, and complete 40 of them, someone has to catch those 40 passes, assuming your receivers aren't completely untalented. I'd surmise that Marks was the best of the bunch at WSU, but just catching a ton of passes doesn't necessarily mean THAT much (it means something, to be sure), when you play on a team that throws it as Leach's offenses do.

Marks averaged 10.0 yards per reception. Among the top 12 receivers in the Pac-12, that was the lowest. Similarly, Falk completed 200 (!) more passes than Browning last year and completed a whopping 70 percent of his attempts, but only threw for 1,038 more yards and five FEWER touchdowns. When you throw 633 passes in a season, someone is going to have a lot of receptions -- probably the 3 receivers who are on the field most of the time (Marks and Cracraft among them).

That's what a "system" quarterback -- or receiver -- is. And Leach has been producing them for a long time. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you win, you win. But it also doesn't mean that simply because you lead the conference in receptions that you're similarly ranked as a pro prospect.

WSU has three former receivers under NFL contract. All of them were excellent, productive players in Pullman. Two of them, Vince Mayle and Dom Williams, have never caught a single pass in a regular-season NFL game. The other, Marquess Wilson, caught nine passes last year and has 56 receptions in his four-year career."

Your thoughts?

From Phoquod....
"I think Gabe has it backwards. Yes, someone has to execute, but that's sort of the point. When you throw it 75 times in a game, and complete 40 of them, someone has to catch those 40 passes, assuming your receivers aren't completely untalented. I'd surmise that Marks was the best of the bunch at WSU, but just catching a ton of passes doesn't necessarily mean THAT much (it means something, to be sure), when you play on a team that throws it as Leach's offenses do.

Marks averaged 10.0 yards per reception. Among the top 12 receivers in the Pac-12, that was the lowest. Similarly, Falk completed 200 (!) more passes than Browning last year and completed a whopping 70 percent of his attempts, but only threw for 1,038 more yards and five FEWER touchdowns. When you throw 633 passes in a season, someone is going to have a lot of receptions -- probably the 3 receivers who are on the field most of the time (Marks and Cracraft among them).

That's what a "system" quarterback -- or receiver -- is. And Leach has been producing them for a long time. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you win, you win. But it also doesn't mean that simply because you lead the conference in receptions that you're similarly ranked as a pro prospect.

WSU has three former receivers under NFL contract. All of them were excellent, productive players in Pullman. Two of them, Vince Mayle and Dom Williams, have never caught a single pass in a regular-season NFL game. The other, Marquess Wilson, caught nine passes last year and has 56 receptions in his four-year career."
He makes some points, but that doesn't explain Crabtree and Welker, two highly productive NFL players. Is Christian McCaffrey just overrated then because they ran the whole damn offense through him? The offense you are in does not determine how talented you are.

Marks and Cracraft are NFL players and will make rosters. They aren't combine studs, but they both run great routes and have outstanding hands...and both really competitive guys, good teammates.

Your thoughts?

From Phoquod....

While he makes a point about system players, he is a complete jackass because he picks and chooses which stats he wants to use. "Oh, number of receptions is a sh!t number because of your system, but LOOK at his 10 ypc stat - he's sh!tty."

Marks got a raw deal last year because Falk/ Leach/ the O stopped airing it out. We all remember the junior year Marks who saw plenty of 20+ yard catches, many of them clutch. Further, outside of his size, he didn't get a BAD scouting report - high marks for hands, body control, route running. His only criticisms were top end speed and getting jammed by bigger corners, one of which he can remedy with practice/ technique. If given the chance, he could easily be a team's Doug Baldwin, IMHO. But no one wants DB, they want Julio Jones or fck it.

Can Marks effectively play special teams? Will teams want to keep a 5th wr who is a wr only? I am not sure his skill set is enough to keep him in the league for a couple of years to develop without st play. Maybe practice squad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT