ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How dumb are the Bears?

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
They’ve spent free agency bringing in solid receivers and a good RB to give the offense some talent and take pressure off the QB…and then they dump Fields for a 6th rounder so that they can start over with a rookie who didn’t win the Pac-12?

And it’s not like this is about the cap either. Fields is still on his rookie deal, so he’s cheap for another year.

Especially with the FA moves they’ve made, if nobody was willing to give a pick in the first 2 rounds for Fields, there was no downside to keeping him for a year. There was big upside to trading the #1. Swap down this year and add a 1st next year. Pick up help on the OL, plus either DL or CB. Those moves combined with their FA pickups probably has them as a playoff team next year, and long as they’re not hamstrung by a typical rookie QB.

Reactions: Coug90
They’ve spent free agency bringing in solid receivers and a good RB to give the offense some talent and take pressure off the QB…and then they dump Fields for a 6th rounder so that they can start over with a rookie who didn’t win the Pac-12?

And it’s not like this is about the cap either. Fields is still on his rookie deal, so he’s cheap for another year.

Especially with the FA moves they’ve made, if nobody was willing to give a pick in the first 2 rounds for Fields, there was no downside to keeping him for a year. There was big upside to trading the #1. Swap down this year and add a 1st next year. Pick up help on the OL, plus either DL or CB. Those moves combined with their FA pickups probably has them as a playoff team next year, and long as they’re not hamstrung by a typical rookie QB.
I disagree. So far, Fields has been a bust. A new coaching staff wants their own players and if Fields is not what they want, they had to move him. Otherwise, you risk having a divided locker room.

Or they could have traded Fields for Sam Howell. The Seahawks will be thanking the Bears for not doing that, in about 2 years when the Seahawks either let go Geno Smith, and trade him, and have Sam Howell eventually become their cheap semi stud game manager starting QB, after the Seahawks get all the pieces to goto playoffs, Superbowl again, etc.

I don’t think he was that cheap this year I think I heard his option was $20 mil ish. For some perspective Minshew is playing for much less and has been a helluva lot more successful.

That said if only getting a 4th for him, I probably woulda traded the 1st pick for a bounty and stuck with him another year with a loaded roster. Fields definitely has some tools. Might end up regretting it.

Pittsburg on the other hand has a proven NFL starter and a young guy with a lot of potential upside for only $22 mill when most QB rooms are twice that now. Great moves by them imo.

I don’t think he was that cheap this year I think I heard his option was $20 mil ish. For some perspective Minshew is playing for much less and has been a helluva lot more successful.

That said if only getting a 4th for him, I probably woulda traded the 1st pick for a bounty and stuck with him another year with a loaded roster. Fields definitely has some tools. Might end up regretting it.

Pittsburg on the other hand has a proven NFL starter and a young guy with a lot of potential upside for only $22 mill when most QB rooms are twice that now. Great moves by them imo.
If they chose to pick up his 5th year option (which would be foolish) he’d be fully guaranteed $25M for 2025. In 2024, he’d get $1.6M, and an equal roster bonus. $3.2M total. Peanuts. Kicker money.

They’ve also got to face the fact that there has not been a decent team around him. They went out and got him a receiver (Moore) last year, but their OL was sub-par and they didn’t have a reliable RB. Now they’ve added 2 veteran WRs, a TE, and an RB…and dump him. I just think they could have gotten a lot more long-term benefit out of trading #1 and going into Fields’ last year.

If they chose to pick up his 5th year option (which would be foolish) he’d be fully guaranteed $25M for 2025. In 2024, he’d get $1.6M, and an equal roster bonus. $3.2M total. Peanuts. Kicker money.

They’ve also got to face the fact that there has not been a decent team around him. They went out and got him a receiver (Moore) last year, but their OL was sub-par and they didn’t have a reliable RB. Now they’ve added 2 veteran WRs, a TE, and an RB…and dump him. I just think they could have gotten a lot more long-term benefit out of trading #1 and going into Fields’ last year.
Contrary view. He has had three years to show he can be a good NFL quarterback and so far, he has been awful. Right now, the NFL as a whole has spoken and they don't believe he is a staring QB, otherwise a team would have given up more than a conditional late round draft pick and installed him as a starter. Instead, he is a backup with the Steelers.

Generally, all teams that draft a QB in the top 10 have a bad roster. Good QB's are still able to show something, even with the bad roster.

Let's say you are right and Fields has a good season. He's now a free agent. So, as a team, Chicago is screwed either way. He signs with another team and you are left without a QB or since he is a free agent, his price is bid up and now you're paying a premium.

Starting over with a new QB is the right move.

Contrary view. He has had three years to show he can be a good NFL quarterback and so far, he has been awful. Right now, the NFL as a whole has spoken and they don't believe he is a staring QB, otherwise a team would have given up more than a conditional late round draft pick and installed him as a starter. Instead, he is a backup with the Steelers.

Generally, all teams that draft a QB in the top 10 have a bad roster. Good QB's are still able to show something, even with the bad roster.

Let's say you are right and Fields has a good season. He's now a free agent. So, as a team, Chicago is screwed either way. He signs with another team and you are left without a QB or since he is a free agent, his price is bid up and now you're paying a premium.

Starting over with a new QB is the right move.
He’s not a free agent though. They can pick up his 5th year option at $25 mill which is still cheap if he plays well

I agree with 95, they pretty much gave him away for a 4th when he’s only due to make a couple mill. Then again I don’t have a lot of faith in the notion that Caleb Williams is a generational talent. Chicago must feel otherwise because they could get a kings ransom with that pick.

He’s not a free agent though. They can pick up his 5th year option at $25 mill which is still cheap if he plays well

I agree with 95, they pretty much gave him away for a 4th when he’s only due to make a couple mill. Then again I don’t have a lot of faith in the notion that Caleb Williams is a generational talent. Chicago must feel otherwise because they could get a kings ransom with that pick.
The financial problem is that they have 6 weeks to decide to pick up his 5th year option, which nobody who’s considering replacing him is going to do. But, they easily could try to extend him or give him a new deal in 2024 and avoid free agency altogether.

As to the argument that he’s been terrible… has he really? He’s had zero talent around him - poor OL, no run game, and his most reliable receiver was his TE. Last season they intentionally emphasized getting him a WR (one) because they knew he didn’t have any targets. And barely a year later they’re now giving him up for a 6th rounder? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

They went 7-10 in 2023, with 5 losses by 7 or less. They’re not that bad. Just adding a reliable RB makes them a playoff contender. Also picking up a reliable WR solidifies that. For a team in their position, having the #1 is a gift. They shouldn’t use it to take a flyer on another young QB (I’m also not sold on Williams).

They’re in a position where they can fleece some QB or WR needy teams. The Vikings are clearly positioning to trade up, and you might be able to get 3 first rounders from them (2 this year, 1 next). That would give the Bears 3 1st rounders this year to work on the OL and the secondary. Don’t want a trade in the division? Fine…look at the Broncos, Giants, Jets, Seahawks, even the Patriots (although there’s less value there). All of them have near term questions at QB, and the broncos & giants are dumpster fires.

In spite of the Vikings being in the division, I like the possibilities there. I go in with a huge ask - I want both of their first rounders this year and one next year, and I want one of their OTs (they’re both good, and I need them). Vikings probably balk at that price, but they’ll counter.

I’m not flexible on the #1 next year - that’s my hedge against Fields sucking, so I have the flexibility to draft QB in 2025.

None of it matters at this point, I just think they’ve misplayed their hand. And, I think in general that the #1 pick has more value than any individual player can bring. Especially for a team that is pretty close to being a contender.

They would have had to pick up the option by May 2nd of this year. It would be insane to guarantee $25 million for the 2025 season before he plays the 2024 season.

My opinion is that there has only been four generational QBs in decades: Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, and Peyton Manning. You can win with very good like Russell Wilson, Matthew Stafford, etc. Williams can be that good, it us doubtful Fields ever will be.

There is a reason why Williams was the number one recruit in the country and why Chicago will draft him number one. Otherwise, if your scouting report is correct, why would Chicago get a "King's ransom" for the pick.

The financial problem is that they have 6 weeks to decide to pick up his 5th year option, which nobody who’s considering replacing him is going to do. But, they easily could try to extend him or give him a new deal in 2024 and avoid free agency altogether.

As to the argument that he’s been terrible… has he really? He’s had zero talent around him - poor OL, no run game, and his most reliable receiver was his TE. Last season they intentionally emphasized getting him a WR (one) because they knew he didn’t have any targets. And barely a year later they’re now giving him up for a 6th rounder? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

They went 7-10 in 2023, with 5 losses by 7 or less. They’re not that bad. Just adding a reliable RB makes them a playoff contender. Also picking up a reliable WR solidifies that. For a team in their position, having the #1 is a gift. They shouldn’t use it to take a flyer on another young QB (I’m also not sold on Williams).

They’re in a position where they can fleece some QB or WR needy teams. The Vikings are clearly positioning to trade up, and you might be able to get 3 first rounders from them (2 this year, 1 next). That would give the Bears 3 1st rounders this year to work on the OL and the secondary. Don’t want a trade in the division? Fine…look at the Broncos, Giants, Jets, Seahawks, even the Patriots (although there’s less value there). All of them have near term questions at QB, and the broncos & giants are dumpster fires.

In spite of the Vikings being in the division, I like the possibilities there. I go in with a huge ask - I want both of their first rounders this year and one next year, and I want one of their OTs (they’re both good, and I need them). Vikings probably balk at that price, but they’ll counter.

I’m not flexible on the #1 next year - that’s my hedge against Fields sucking, so I have the flexibility to draft QB in 2025.

None of it matters at this point, I just think they’ve misplayed their hand. And, I think in general that the #1 pick has more value than any individual player can bring. Especially for a team that is pretty close to being a contender.
I don't get it. On one hand, you say Chicago has no talent, on the other hand, you are saying that they aren't that bad.

One of the funniest sights ever at Soldier Field has been seeing fans wear a Bears jersey with the #15 and the name "Mahomes" on the back. It's a painful reminder that they traded up in the draft to take Mitch Trubisky with the 2nd pick the same year the Chiefs drafted Patrick Mahomes. The interesting thing about that is Mahomes was expected to be drafted by the Bears. They had spoken quite a bit with him and had given every indication he would be their choice. Silly Bears.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Coug1990
I don't get it. On one hand, you say Chicago has no talent, on the other hand, you are saying that they aren't that bad.
The last couple years, they haven’t had much consistency or reliability at RB or WR. Their OL has been below average. They went and got DJ Moore last season to help, and it worked…to a degree. They managed to get to 7-10 this year with a lot of close losses…and still not having a lot of consistency or reliability. So, yeah…it seems contradictory, but I don’t think they’re far away.

GMs just worried that if he is a generational talent they’ll be “that guy” who passed on him. I don’t think you can lose trading a #1 pick for 3 first rounders.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
GMs just worried that if he is a generational talent they’ll be “that guy” who passed on him. I don’t think you can lose trading a #1 pick for 3 first rounders.
Agreed, if you can get 3 first round picks for your #1, then it is a no brainer. As for the rest, it really comes down to talent evaluation. At this point a lot of teams have had a chance to look at this guy. The fact that none of them want him other than as a back up to a relatively healthy starter makes the point.

Agreed, if you can get 3 first round picks for your #1, then it is a no brainer. As for the rest, it really comes down to talent evaluation. At this point a lot of teams have had a chance to look at this guy. The fact that none of them want him other than as a back up to a relatively healthy starter makes the point.
Counterpoint to that…nobody’s trying that hard to get in position to take Williams either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT