ADVERTISEMENT

Minshew

Where I grew up, if you repeatedly called someone "little ass boy", they would think you were excessively focused on their ass. Which was generally not a welcome thing.

MInshew is great. Hope he gets his shot at being a starting QB.
It wasn't their plan, but the way things worked out, he's been the starter this season. I think Richardson only appeared in parts of 3-4 games.
GM hasn't really lit things up, and he's had some ball security issues at times, but he's got them at the cusp of the playoffs a year after they picked #4. That should be worth something. If you need more, he's middle of the pack in yards, attempts, and completion percentage, and just about everyone above him in those categories has has better receivers and gets better protection.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Also, regarding GM: we knew that he got a $2M bonus if he played a certain percentage of Indy’s snaps. Just read that the threshold was 60%. He’s at 83%. So, $5.5M for this season…and he’s a UFA at its end.

Also, regarding GM: we knew that he got a $2M bonus if he played a certain percentage of Indy’s snaps. Just read that the threshold was 60%. He’s at 83%. So, $5.5M for this season…and he’s a UFA at its end.
And I bet he doesn't spend shit - certainly not on barbers. My guess is that he's already tucked away millions from his now almost 5 years in the league. Whether as a starter or a highly sought backup.

And I bet he doesn't spend shit - certainly not on barbers. My guess is that he's already tucked away millions from his now almost 5 years in the league. Whether as a starter or a highly sought backup.
Probably. His rookie deal was just shy of $3M overall, plus 5.5 this year. We know he was renting a place with 3-4 other guys in Jacksonville, and lived in an old beater motorhome/bus in the offseason. Not really sure what he’s done since, but I can’t imagine he bought a penthouse in either Philly or Indy.
If he’s been smart about it - and seems like he has - he could still have a few million stashed (after paying an agent, taxes, and whatever). He could hang it up this season and spend the rest of his life coaching. Or he could look for another contract (Spotrac estimates his FA value as 2 years, $10.4M), play it out and spend the rest of his life fishing. And, if he takes that second approach, he’s still retiring with a nest egg of several million before he turns 30.

Probably. His rookie deal was just shy of $3M overall, plus 5.5 this year. We know he was renting a place with 3-4 other guys in Jacksonville, and lived in an old beater motorhome/bus in the offseason. Not really sure what he’s done since, but I can’t imagine he bought a penthouse in either Philly or Indy.
If he’s been smart about it - and seems like he has - he could still have a few million stashed (after paying an agent, taxes, and whatever). He could hang it up this season and spend the rest of his life coaching. Or he could look for another contract (Spotrac estimates his FA value as 2 years, $10.4M), play it out and spend the rest of his life fishing. And, if he takes that second approach, he’s still retiring with a nest egg of several million before he turns 30.
Don’t forget NFL pension which max at 5 years in the league I believe. Dude is already set and he can hold a clipboard at least for another 5-7 years at $3-5M a year.

It seems like there are a lot of teams with bad QB situations that Minshew can come in and start. Teams like Denver come to mind.

It seems like there are a lot of teams with bad QB situations that Minshew can come in and start. Teams like Denver come to mind.
Truth. This has been the case for a while though, I’m a broncos fan and wanted them to go get Minshew before they mortgaged their future for Russ. Problem is there’s a lot of stupid and arrogant SOBs running NFL franchises as well who can’t evaluate talent any better than the average guy drinking beer on his couch. Minshew has been a top 20 QB since his second year in the league. I can’t for the life of me figure out why a team with a hole at QB wouldn’t take Minshew at a bargain price and load up on talent around him with all the money they’d save at the QB position (for a couple of years). He’s not that different from Brock Purdy. I can’t even comprehend how much different the Broncos would be and would have been if they’d gone this route instead of Russ who F’d the franchise for 5 years.

Love the dude, and for sure think he can be a starter in this league when compared to a lot of what passes for starting "talent" in the NFL.

That being said, he needs a LOT of help if he's going to be successful beyond just a middling, journeyman QB. I don't think he can elevate his team with his play, but he can be a guy who doesn't hurt his team and makes all the safe passes and good adjustments at the line. That can't be said for a lot of these guys.

Love the dude, and for sure think he can be a starter in this league when compared to a lot of what passes for starting "talent" in the NFL.

That being said, he needs a LOT of help if he's going to be successful beyond just a middling, journeyman QB. I don't think he can elevate his team with his play, but he can be a guy who doesn't hurt his team and makes all the safe passes and good adjustments at the line. That can't be said for a lot of these guys.
That baby ass video kind of shows what he's up against. Pressured and throwing off his back foot while being sacked, twice. A little protection would help with his fumble fingers.

So Sunday, at home (thankfully) against the Texans. Fans should be going berserk. C'mon Baltimore, get it done and get to the playoffs.

Yeah but for a guy who is not a top 10 QB you’re not paying him the money to ask him to carry a team. That’s the trade off for QBs. Nobody is going to expect him to carry a team but when you are saving $40M in QB salary that’s another 3-4 pro bowlers you can put on your roster. The niners have the perfect blueprint for this right now until they have to pay purdy. This was also the Hawks Russ’s his first 5 yrs in Seattle. Broncos paid him to carry the team and a middling roster and he can’t do that.

For a team that gets that, Minshew could absolutely win a SB. Too many teams spend 20% of their cap on a QB who can’t carry a shitty roster, including Denver.

Truth. This has been the case for a while though, I’m a broncos fan and wanted them to go get Minshew before they mortgaged their future for Russ. Problem is there’s a lot of stupid and arrogant SOBs running NFL franchises as well who can’t evaluate talent any better than the average guy drinking beer on his couch. Minshew has been a top 20 QB since his second year in the league. I can’t for the life of me figure out why a team with a hole at QB wouldn’t take Minshew at a bargain price and load up on talent around him with all the money they’d save at the QB position (for a couple of years). He’s not that different from Brock Purdy. I can’t even comprehend how much different the Broncos would be and would have been if they’d gone this route instead of Russ who F’d the franchise for 5 years.
PRoblem is that owners and fans want to win now. They don't want to wait while a GM builds a franchise. That's how guys who are on the downslope like Wilson and Aaron Rodgers end up moving in big trades.

It's also how teams spend high draft picks on supposed "can't miss" players, but don't turn the team around. Teams that earn the #1 pick should never actually pick a player. They have more problems than one player can solve. Trevor Lawrence is a good example. Touted as a once-in-a-generation talent, the kind of QB you build a franchise around...people couldn't wait to draft him. And, while he hasn't been bad, the Jaguars are still mediocre because there's not enough talent around him. They've paid him $31M (so far) for 20 wins and one wild card win. And, now they've only got a year left on his rookie deal, plus a 5th year option that they have 4 months to pick up.

Bryce Young is another example. Carolina traded up to get him last season...and they're worse this year than they were in 2022. To get him, they traded away their best receiver and a couple years of draft capital. The Bears pulled off a great trade, but on the flipside...Carolina leveraged their next 2-3 seasons to get one player whose contract will be up before they're done paying for him. If I'm the Bears, the minute Carolina clinched me the top pick this season, I started shopping around to see if anyone else will make a move as dumb as Carolina's.

PRoblem is that owners and fans want to win now. They don't want to wait while a GM builds a franchise. That's how guys who are on the downslope like Wilson and Aaron Rodgers end up moving in big trades.

It's also how teams spend high draft picks on supposed "can't miss" players, but don't turn the team around. Teams that earn the #1 pick should never actually pick a player. They have more problems than one player can solve. Trevor Lawrence is a good example. Touted as a once-in-a-generation talent, the kind of QB you build a franchise around...people couldn't wait to draft him. And, while he hasn't been bad, the Jaguars are still mediocre because there's not enough talent around him. They've paid him $31M (so far) for 20 wins and one wild card win. And, now they've only got a year left on his rookie deal, plus a 5th year option that they have 4 months to pick up.

Bryce Young is another example. Carolina traded up to get him last season...and they're worse this year than they were in 2022. To get him, they traded away their best receiver and a couple years of draft capital. The Bears pulled off a great trade, but on the flipside...Carolina leveraged their next 2-3 seasons to get one player whose contract will be up before they're done paying for him. If I'm the Bears, the minute Carolina clinched me the top pick this season, I started shopping around to see if anyone else will make a move as dumb as Carolina's.
I've read those clickbait articles about the biggest QB draft flops. A lot of #1's and high 1st rounders on those lists. For every Peyton Manning you have guys like (ahem) Ryan, Heath Shuler. Jeff George, etc. etc. Maybe I'll scratch my head and add to this list. Or feel free. Exercise those craniums, :). And maybe a list of afterthoughts who became stars (Purdy, etc.)

Proof of this: Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Jim Plunkett, and Jim McMahon all won Super Bowls....all on teams with strong running games and even stronger defenses.

Reactions: Coug90
That baby ass video kind of shows what he's up against. Pressured and throwing off his back foot while being sacked, twice. A little protection would help with his fumble fingers.

So Sunday, at home (thankfully) against the Texans. Fans should be going berserk. C'mon Baltimore, get it done and get to the playoffs.
Its Max Crosby, one of the premier pass rushers in the league, I expect him to get home.

Unfortunately it seems like DL play has surpassed OL play in the NFL for the most part. The good QBs get rid of it quickly (Brady) and have an OC that gameplans to do so.

Yeah but for a guy who is not a top 10 QB you’re not paying him the money to ask him to carry a team. That’s the trade off for QBs. Nobody is going to expect him to carry a team but when you are saving $40M in QB salary that’s another 3-4 pro bowlers you can put on your roster. The niners have the perfect blueprint for this right now until they have to pay purdy. This was also the Hawks Russ’s his first 5 yrs in Seattle. Broncos paid him to carry the team and a middling roster and he can’t do that.

For a team that gets that, Minshew could absolutely win a SB. Too many teams spend 20% of their cap on a QB who can’t carry a shitty roster, including Denver.
Not him specifically, but that position 100%.

The zeitgeist is that you can only win a SB with a HOF level qb, which is for the most part true. The Russ Wilson, Trent Dilfer, et al are the exception. The fallacy is that your #1/ 1st round pick is going to be a HOF qb, and I won't list the examples because we all know them.

I've read those clickbait articles about the biggest QB draft flops. A lot of #1's and high 1st rounders on those lists. For every Peyton Manning you have guys like (ahem) Ryan, Heath Shuler. Jeff George, etc. etc. Maybe I'll scratch my head and add to this list. Or feel free. Exercise those craniums, :). And maybe a list of afterthoughts who became stars (Purdy, etc.)
Flops are different. I'm talking about guys who actually were decent, but weren't worth what was spent on them. It's particularly true with QBs, there's hype almost every year about some supposed tremendous QB talent that's sure to go in the top 5. But, the list of those guys who win Super Bowls is pretty short.

Joe Montana- 3rd round draftee, Tom Brady- 6th round draftee. Bart Starr- 17th round draftee, Staubach 10th, Rypien 6th, Brad Johnson 9th.

Remember our good discussion here about whether the Jaguars should draft Lawrence or trade the pick and keep Minshew. My argument was that they already had a good bunch of draft picks and could REALLY load up with young talent around Minshew with the draft pick haul they could get from trading the #1 pick. They could have loaded up on the young studs and attracted some good free agents with the lower payroll and gotten on a strong roll like the Cowboys of the early 90's.

Remember our good discussion here about whether the Jaguars should draft Lawrence or trade the pick and keep Minshew. My argument was that they already had a good bunch of draft picks and could REALLY load up with young talent around Minshew with the draft pick haul they could get from trading the #1 pick. They could have loaded up on the young studs and attracted some good free agents with the lower payroll and gotten on a strong roll like the Cowboys of the early 90's.
Exactly what Chicago should do in April. Fields is unorthodox but imagine putting another top flight young receiver out there with him and building one of the best OLines in the league in front of him. You take Caleb, who knows what you’ll get he could be a bust too.

Joe Montana- 3rd round draftee, Tom Brady- 6th round draftee. Bart Starr- 17th round draftee, Staubach 10th, Rypien 6th, Brad Johnson 9th.

Bart Starr was drafted in 1956 when there were only 12 teams. That's equivalent to a 6th or 7th round choice today. Same goes for Roger Staubach...but he was drafted while he was still in college at Navy. Still, Starr was a steal even with the fewer number of teams.

Exactly what Chicago should do in April. Fields is unorthodox but imagine putting another top flight young receiver out there with him and building one of the best OLines in the league in front of him. You take Caleb, who knows what you’ll get he could be a bust too.
I think it would be ridiculous to dump Fields and take Caleb. They're too similar.

Fields has shown some flashes, and has a good connection with DJ Moore - who they were really smart to require in the Carolina trade. If they can give him another reliable target and improve their protection, he could take them places. Besides, I don't think Williams is anywhere near being the slam-dunk, can't miss QB prospect.

The Bears are picking #1 and somewhere around #10. If I'm their GM, I'm shopping #1 already, with the Carolina trade as my template. If I can pull a round 1 swap, add a player I can put right on the field, and add a couple additional 1st & 2nd picks...I'm taking it. This is a decent draft for WRs, so I probably want OL or CB as my trade target, but I'll consider an RB if the package is right.

If I had an expansion team and was therefore in a supplemental draft, I'd start (not necessarily in this exact order) with my first 10 picks being center, both OT's, TE, one WR, both DT's, an edge rusher and two CB's before I picked up a QB. If you start with the OL and a solid D, you can then pick up two journeymen QB's and a UDFA QB and go for a draft QB the next year. On the D I'd want to pick up one expensive MLB or Safety in the last couple of years of his career, whose team left him unprotected because of his compensation level and age...because you have to have an experienced leader on the D. That would be the only high dollar guy I'd take in the supplemental, unless somebody actually left a top level center unprotected. Then I'd use my batch of draft picks for supplemental guys, several of which could be game breakers...probably a couple of WR's, an edge, a LB, a safety, at least one OL and probably a RB. Depending upon the offense I was going to run I might even use a later draft pick for a FB, depending upon what was available in the supplemental, because you have to have a FB in the NFL, even if it is only for 20-25% of the plays.

Long story short, get the OL in place with a solid D, give him a few targets and a running game, and a journeyman QB will do just fine. No need to bankrupt the roster for a top QB that you leave behind a weak line (The Chargers and Herbert are just one example).

I think it would be ridiculous to dump Fields and take Caleb. They're too similar.

Fields has shown some flashes, and has a good connection with DJ Moore - who they were really smart to require in the Carolina trade. If they can give him another reliable target and improve their protection, he could take them places. Besides, I don't think Williams is anywhere near being the slam-dunk, can't miss QB prospect.

The Bears are picking #1 and somewhere around #10. If I'm their GM, I'm shopping #1 already, with the Carolina trade as my template. If I can pull a round 1 swap, add a player I can put right on the field, and add a couple additional 1st & 2nd picks...I'm taking it. This is a decent draft for WRs, so I probably want OL or CB as my trade target, but I'll consider an RB if the package is right.
There are at least two teams, probably a dozen who think CW is a generational talent. Which means the draft haul is going to be insane if they shop the pick. I’m with you I think Caleb is risky, this is a huge opportunity for chicago to reshape their roster for the next 5 years.

There are at least two teams, probably a dozen who think CW is a generational talent. Which means the draft haul is going to be insane if they shop the pick. I’m with you I think Caleb is risky, this is a huge opportunity for chicago to reshape their roster for the next 5 years.
And I say take advantage of that. If you can get a team to give you their 1 & 2 this year, their 1 next year, their 2 the year after that, and an instant impact player (which is exactly what Carolina gave up) you should be able to get more benefit out of those 5 players than you'll get out of one QB.

I started to try thinking of exceptions to that opinion, but I'm not sure there are any. Peyton Manning was the first one I thought of...but he wasn't winning games until he had Harrison, Wayne, Edgerrin James, Jeff Saturday, etc. The simple truth is that it really doesn't matter if you're playing the best QB in football history - he can't win many games by himself.

If I had an expansion team and was therefore in a supplemental draft, I'd start (not necessarily in this exact order) with my first 10 picks being center, both OT's, TE, one WR, both DT's, an edge rusher and two CB's before I picked up a QB. If you start with the OL and a solid D, you can then pick up two journeymen QB's and a UDFA QB and go for a draft QB the next year. On the D I'd want to pick up one expensive MLB or Safety in the last couple of years of his career, whose team left him unprotected because of his compensation level and age...because you have to have an experienced leader on the D. That would be the only high dollar guy I'd take in the supplemental, unless somebody actually left a top level center unprotected. Then I'd use my batch of draft picks for supplemental guys, several of which could be game breakers...probably a couple of WR's, an edge, a LB, a safety, at least one OL and probably a RB. Depending upon the offense I was going to run I might even use a later draft pick for a FB, depending upon what was available in the supplemental, because you have to have a FB in the NFL, even if it is only for 20-25% of the plays.

Long story short, get the OL in place with a solid D, give him a few targets and a running game, and a journeyman QB will do just fine. No need to bankrupt the roster for a top QB that you leave behind a weak line (The Chargers and Herbert are just one example).
"Long story short..."

Too late! (I kid)
That's all I have to say about that.

Bart Starr was drafted in 1956 when there were only 12 teams. That's equivalent to a 6th or 7th round choice today. Same goes for Roger Staubach...but he was drafted while he was still in college at Navy. Still, Starr was a steal even with the fewer number of teams.
Well aware of the changes in # of teams and the decrease in # of draft rounds. But I couldn't tell you exactly when the teams grew and draft rounds shrunk. Except for Tampa Bay and the Seahawks in 1976 or 1977.

Although it wasn't a trade, the Chargers also ruined another top QB by having no good receivers or offensive line. I wonder who that guy was........

Leaf has a 9 episode podcast that is really good. He chronicles his career and owns his mistakes. It's called Bust. Episodes are only about 30 minutes.

Although it wasn't a trade, the Chargers also ruined another top QB by having no good receivers or offensive line. I wonder who that guy was........
Herbert’s situation hasn’t been as bad as Leaf’s was…but it’s not good.

Not him specifically, but that position 100%.

The zeitgeist is that you can only win a SB with a HOF level qb, which is for the most part true. The Russ Wilson, Trent Dilfer, et al are the exception. The fallacy is that your #1/ 1st round pick is going to be a HOF qb, and I won't list the examples because we all know them.
34 QBs have won a Super Bowl. 15 of them are already in the hall, 4 more seem sure to enter (Brady, Brees, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger). Aaron Rogers, Patrick Mahomes, and Matthew Stafford are also possible.

The remaining 12 are guys we've all heard of, but wouldn't be anyone's pick for building a championship team. None were really the statistical team leader. Three of them weren't even their team's regular starter. But, it shows that almost 1/3 of the time, it doesn't take a star QB to make a winner...especially if they have strong ground games and good defenses.

The 12:
Trent Dilfer
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles
Jeff Hostetler
Brad Johnson
Jim McMahon
Jim Plunkett
Mark Rypien
Phil Simms
Joe Theismann
Doug Williams
Russell Wilson

The common thread in that group of 12 appears to be that they could take a hit and keep performing. Some really tough guys on that list. I have pretty good memories of 6 of those guys getting POUNDED (Dilfer, McMahon, Plunkett, Rypien, Simms & Williams). And when Doug Williams played for the Oklahoma Outlaws he had a USFL level O line. He had to be about half tight end just to stay on his feet back there. Plunkett took a LOT of hits. They were all tough individuals.

The common thread in that group of 12 appears to be that they could take a hit and keep performing. Some really tough guys on that list. I have pretty good memories of 6 of those guys getting POUNDED (Dilfer, McMahon, Plunkett, Rypien, Simms & Williams). And when Doug Williams played for the Oklahoma Outlaws he had a USFL level O line. He had to be about half tight end just to stay on his feet back there. Plunkett took a LOT of hits. They were all tough individuals.
As I recall, Williams was somewhere in the 230-240 range. That size would fit in today, but back then he was a pretty big QB.

Almost all of those teams had something remarkable about them other than the QB (and it helped that Hostetler, Foles, Rypien, and WIlliams managed to play the best football of their careers at exactly the right time). Foles is the only one I look at and not be pretty sure where else credit belongs.

34 QBs have won a Super Bowl. 15 of them are already in the hall, 4 more seem sure to enter (Brady, Brees, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger). Aaron Rogers, Patrick Mahomes, and Matthew Stafford are also possible.

The remaining 12 are guys we've all heard of, but wouldn't be anyone's pick for building a championship team. None were really the statistical team leader. Three of them weren't even their team's regular starter. But, it shows that almost 1/3 of the time, it doesn't take a star QB to make a winner...especially if they have strong ground games and good defenses.

The 12:
Trent Dilfer
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles
Jeff Hostetler
Brad Johnson
Jim McMahon
Jim Plunkett
Mark Rypien
Phil Simms
Joe Theismann
Doug Williams
Russell Wilson
The Super Bowl 50 broncos had a QB who was statistically worse than most of the guys on this list, although not many remember how truly awful manning was that year. Another champion that won in spite of their QB

This is great work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT