ADVERTISEMENT

Minshew

34 QBs have won a Super Bowl. 15 of them are already in the hall, 4 more seem sure to enter (Brady, Brees, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger). Aaron Rogers, Patrick Mahomes, and Matthew Stafford are also possible.

The remaining 12 are guys we've all heard of, but wouldn't be anyone's pick for building a championship team. None were really the statistical team leader. Three of them weren't even their team's regular starter. But, it shows that almost 1/3 of the time, it doesn't take a star QB to make a winner...especially if they have strong ground games and good defenses.

The 12:
Trent Dilfer
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles
Jeff Hostetler
Brad Johnson
Jim McMahon
Jim Plunkett
Mark Rypien
Phil Simms
Joe Theismann
Doug Williams
Russell Wilson

Jim Plunkett is one guy on that list who has a pretty good argument for being in the Hall of Fame. Joe Theismann is another. Both put up great stats over an extended period of time. Phil Simms had injuries at various times in his career that torpedoed his shot but he's still a guy that shouldn't be blown off. The rest of the list are guys that didn't have extended high level success or as mentioned above, not sucking but not really elevating their teams on a consistent basis.

Jim Plunkett is one guy on that list who has a pretty good argument for being in the Hall of Fame. Joe Theismann is another. Both put up great stats over an extended period of time. Phil Simms had injuries at various times in his career that torpedoed his shot but he's still a guy that shouldn't be blown off. The rest of the list are guys that didn't have extended high level success or as mentioned above, not sucking but not really elevating their teams on a consistent basis.
I was a little surprised that those two weren’t in the hall. I think while they both had decent careers, for the most part they were on pretty mediocre teams. Their Super Bowls were outliers. Theismann only made 2 pro bowls, Plunkett none. And, Theismann only won one Super Bowl. Seems like you need at least 2 to get serious HOF consideration as a QB.

John Hadl for the Hall. You can't compare a time when a guy like Turkey Jones could drop any quarterback on his head. Roman Gabriel getting his head twisted by Mike Curtis. QB's didn't last too long unless they were lucky.

34 QBs have won a Super Bowl. 15 of them are already in the hall, 4 more seem sure to enter (Brady, Brees, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger). Aaron Rogers, Patrick Mahomes, and Matthew Stafford are also possible.

The remaining 12 are guys we've all heard of, but wouldn't be anyone's pick for building a championship team. None were really the statistical team leader. Three of them weren't even their team's regular starter. But, it shows that almost 1/3 of the time, it doesn't take a star QB to make a winner...especially if they have strong ground games and good defenses.

The 12:
Trent Dilfer
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles
Jeff Hostetler
Brad Johnson
Jim McMahon
Jim Plunkett
Mark Rypien
Phil Simms
Joe Theismann
Doug Williams
Russell Wilson
and....

2/3rd of the time it does matter

Ty for proving my point. Or more precisely, the NFL GMs point.

I was a little surprised that those two weren’t in the hall. I think while they both had decent careers, for the most part they were on pretty mediocre teams. Their Super Bowls were outliers. Theismann only made 2 pro bowls, Plunkett none. And, Theismann only won one Super Bowl. Seems like you need at least 2 to get serious HOF consideration as a QB.
Theismann was kind of a pansy. Tackle him and he breaks in half. :)

Theismann was kind of a pansy. Tackle him and he breaks in half. :)
Well, to be fair, he got hit by LT and Harry Carson at the same time. That has to hurt.

But I’m fairly convinced that part of the reason he’s not in the hall is that he’s annoying and nobody likes him much.

Not a great pass, but that should have been caught

That was a bad break for sure,however for whatever reason Minshew does play his best in these big games. If he plays like he did against the Steelers or even the Raiders and Indy is in the play-offs.

It was obvious the Indy coach did not trust him last night which never let him get into a rhythm . Really hope that he gets another opportunity somewhere else and leaves the coach and their fans with Richardson. They are about to be in fo a rude awakening when he plays full time next year.

That was a bad break for sure,however for whatever reason Minshew does play his best in these big games. If he plays like he did against the Steelers or even the Raiders and Indy is in the play-offs.

It was obvious the Indy coach did not trust him last night which never let him get into a rhythm . Really hope that he gets another opportunity somewhere else and leaves the coach and their fans with Richardson. They are about to be in fo a rude awakening when he plays full time next year.
I’d like to feel the same. But he played full time after unseating Foles in Jacksonville, and didn’t really get any attention. He played full time after week 4 this season, and is middle of the pack.
While it’s true that neither of those teams had a lot of talent around him, I think it’s shown that he’s not a star QB, and not a guy you’re going to pursue very hard. On an offense with some decent players, he’ll be fine, but he’s not going to carry the offense.

I think he’d be ok in Seattle, although they need OL help and I don’t know how much better than Geno he would be. He’d be an improvement for New England (but I don’t want to see him in that uniform). Tampa, New Orleans, maybe Denver would work too. Everyone else either has a starter or has other problems that will undermine GM.

I don’t think the FA market for him is going to be real strong, and he’ll most likely sign on as a veteran backup no matter where he goes. If someone like San Francisco, Dallas, or Baltimore will pick him up, I’ll be rooting for their starter to go down. It would be great for him to get an extended shot on a team with decent protection and some reliable targets.

Actually - Detroit might be a good spot too.

I’d like to feel the same. But he played full time after unseating Foles in Jacksonville, and didn’t really get any attention. He played full time after week 4 this season, and is middle of the pack.
While it’s true that neither of those teams had a lot of talent around him, I think it’s shown that he’s not a star QB, and not a guy you’re going to pursue very hard. On an offense with some decent players, he’ll be fine, but he’s not going to carry the offense.

I think he’d be ok in Seattle, although they need OL help and I don’t know how much better than Geno he would be. He’d be an improvement for New England (but I don’t want to see him in that uniform). Tampa, New Orleans, maybe Denver would work too. Everyone else either has a starter or has other problems that will undermine GM.

I don’t think the FA market for him is going to be real strong, and he’ll most likely sign on as a veteran backup no matter where he goes. If someone like San Francisco, Dallas, or Baltimore will pick him up, I’ll be rooting for their starter to go down. It would be great for him to get an extended shot on a team with decent protection and some reliable targets.

Yeah that game was sad all around. Multiple drops, especially that last one. The throw was not the greatest, but when you have both hands on the ball you have to catch it. I would have caught that. At least a couple of others - right in the hands.

That said, Minshew was wildly off on a couple of long throws. but if the receivers would have made the catches they were supposed to - different ending and a bright star for Gardner. Instead, as said, a backup role at Indy or elsewhere.

Finally - continuing to run up the middle and getting stuffed time after time late in the game is not a winning strategy.

He is clearly getting the label as just a good back up and maybe not dependable in big games.

I am biased toward him but before his NFL career is over it would be nice to see what he could do with even a decent receiving corp. Watched Indy alot this year and their receivers other than Pittman are crap. Minshew had to be very precise because none of that crew were going to come down with contested catches. That last play was a great example, some people are even reaching to blame Minshew for a bad throw. That throw was like 90 % of screen/swing plays in the NFL, the windows are tight and the QB is not always going to perfectly lead the receiver because DB's can jump the route.

Like I said Indy is in for eye opener next year with Richardson if they keep those same receivers .

infuriating.

They let AR15 run around in circles looking for the homerun ball but GMII can't get more than a 5 yard pattern to throw. And a blitz every down bc the opposing DC knows colts chicken shit oc won't punish them for it, forcing GMII to run fire drill every passing play.

Again, I don't think he has the tools to be a game changer, but it sure would be nice to see him get a full playbook AND an OL that gives a shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: PINGDUDE4
I think it would be ridiculous to dump Fields and take Caleb. They're too similar.

Fields has shown some flashes, and has a good connection with DJ Moore - who they were really smart to require in the Carolina trade. If they can give him another reliable target and improve their protection, he could take them places. Besides, I don't think Williams is anywhere near being the slam-dunk, can't miss QB prospect.

The Bears are picking #1 and somewhere around #10. If I'm their GM, I'm shopping #1 already, with the Carolina trade as my template. If I can pull a round 1 swap, add a player I can put right on the field, and add a couple additional 1st & 2nd picks...I'm taking it. This is a decent draft for WRs, so I probably want OL or CB as my trade target, but I'll consider an RB if the package is right.
Williams helps them reset their QB payroll though a few more seasons.

Chicago is in great position, whichever way they go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT