ADVERTISEMENT

Morgan Weaver OWNS the Huskies

Cougsocal

Hall Of Fame
Sep 5, 2010
In soccer hat tricks are rare. Unassisted hat tricks never happen, until last night.

The first was a dribble down the left side, a hard cut right with a "what the hell" highlight reel laser from 20 yards out, catching the goalie flatfooted..

The second was a Stanford redux of a sort. Pressure by Weaver, the defender panics and plays the ball back to the goalie hard Sensing an opportunity, Weaver sprints to the ball, arriving just in time to take advantage of the goalie miss play.

The third goal was a "Michael Owen" on steroids. Down a man late due to a red card (there had been some serious bad blood chippiness), and nursing a 2-1 lead, the ball is harmlessly cleared in Husky territory to kill time.. Weaver, who had played every minute to point, once again senses an opportunity and starts crazy 80 yard sprint. She beat the defender to the ball, a ball she had no business going after let alone winning. She runs passed the defender like the defender is a bystander at an F1 race, Continuing the freakish turn of pace, she races the last 30 yards on goal in a 1 on 1 with the goalie. Unnerved, the goalie sprints out and goes down too early allowing Weaver to dribble around her like she is a traffic cone, slamming the ball into the back of the net for the 3-1 clincher.

The replay/highlights are well worth your time.

In soccer hat tricks are rare. Unassisted hat tricks never happen, until last night.

The first was a dribble down the left side, a hard cut right with a "what the hell" highlight reel laser from 20 yards out, catching the goalie flatfooted..

The second was a Stanford redux of a sort. Pressure by Weaver, the defender panics and plays the ball back to the goalie hard Sensing an opportunity, Weaver sprints to the ball, arriving just in time to take advantage of the goalie miss play.

The third goal was a "Michael Owen" on steroids. Down a man late due to a red card (there had been some serious bad blood chippiness), and nursing a 2-1 lead, the ball is harmlessly cleared in Husky territory to kill time.. Weaver, who had played every minute to point, once again senses an opportunity and starts crazy 80 yard sprint. She beat the defender to the ball, a ball she had no business going after let alone winning. She runs passed the defender like the defender is a bystander at an F1 race, Continuing the freakish turn of pace, she races the last 30 yards on goal in a 1 on 1 with the goalie. Unnerved, the goalie sprints out and goes down too early allowing Weaver to dribble around her like she is a traffic cone, slamming the ball into the back of the net for the 3-1 clincher.

and we have her another year. Great win, great season, and let’s do some damage in the NCAA Tourney. Go Lady Cougs!!!

I heard the benches cleared at one point? What happened???

Edit: Ugh typing via phone...

Last edited:

I happened to notice this was on Pac-12, and ended up watching most of it. Not backing off on my "soccer is boring" opinion in general, but this one was pretty good. Score should have been about 10-1. That last goal was amazing - she just turned on the juice after 87 minutes and out ran the mutt girls. And posterized that poor goalie.

My only knock on Weaver is that she comes from Curtis HIgh in Tacoma (U Place actually) - husky stronghold, no Cougs have EVER come from Curtis. Oh and she is kind of hideous. See below.

https://wsucougars.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5624

I happened to notice this was on Pac-12, and ended up watching most of it. Not backing off on my "soccer is boring" opinion in general, but this one was pretty good. Score should have been about 10-1. That last goal was amazing - she just turned on the juice after 87 minutes and out ran the mutt girls. And posterized that poor goalie.

My only knock on Weaver is that she comes from Curtis HIgh in Tacoma (U Place actually) - husky stronghold, no Cougs have EVER come from Curtis. Oh and she is kind of hideous. See below.

It is the only sport where you can thoroughly dominate and lose. It is the sport where Iceland can beat England and USA losses to TNT, and not be in the World Cup with Italy and the Netherlands. It can be so unfair, it is completely un-American. You can't love or understand the sport unless you recognize and experience its inherently nerve racking nature and the chemical response that results.

0-0 in the 75th minute isn't boring, it is an ever building pressure cooker, moments away from sheer joy or utter despondency. Most people find American Football and Basketball boring because seldom are you left on a knife edge for more than a few minutes (too much scoring), so the ultimate release when the matter is decided does not have time to build and is far less powerful. Compare that to the 2014 WC final. World’s biggest sporting event, 2 straight hours of ever building nerves and tension, waiting for the moment of brilliance or crushing mistake, your endorphins build and build ( imagine WSU in the National Championship going into OT with no scoring -- boring or extra strength Rolaids times?), and are suddenly released with Gotze’s goal. You either have the most intense high or low. Either way it is mapped in your brain permanently.

It is the only sport where you can thoroughly dominate and lose. It is the sport where Iceland can beat England and USA losses to TNT, and not be in the World Cup with Italy and the Netherlands. It can be so unfair, it is completely un-American. You can't love or understand the sport unless you recognize and experience its inherently nerve racking nature and the chemical response that results.

0-0 in the 75th minute isn't boring, it is an ever building pressure cooker, moments away from sheer joy or utter despondency. Most people find American Football and Basketball boring because seldom are you left on a knife edge for more than a few minutes (too much scoring), so the ultimate release when the matter is decided does not have time to build and is far less powerful. Compare that to the 2014 WC final. World’s biggest sporting event, 2 straight hours of ever building nerves and tension, waiting for the moment of brilliance or crushing mistake, your endorphins build and build ( imagine WSU in the National Championship going into OT with no scoring -- boring or extra strength Rolaids times?), and are suddenly released with Gotze’s goal. You either have the most intense high or low. Either way it is mapped in your brain permanently.

We play soccer wrong here in the U.S. and don't have an understanding of the game which is why Americans find it boring. I spent some time in England and really learned a lot about soccer and why it is such an incredible game.

1st of all it's a true team sport. Basketball is actually a derivative of soccer and when you understand that the game starts to make a lot more sense. While America is obsessed with the individual player like Lebron or Jordan you see some of the best teams in the NBA or in college basketball are the ones who move the ball and setup the best open shot. You can look to Golden State with Klay. It's not just Klay, It's not just Steph, it's not just Durrant. It's all those guys moving the ball creating opportunities.

That's soccer. And yes it is a low scoring game but it is a game that basically LIVES in the setup and execution. Once you understand that concept that it's not about some superstar or 1 man magic (even though soccer does herald people like Messi/Rinaldo/Pele/Maradona) it really is about the ball distribution and the strategy of the setup. It's also not a suprise that many of the teams with "Lone Superstar" players like Messi and Argentina fall short all the time.

Here's a good example of the Ticky Tacky style of FC Barcelona. When you understand that this is how Europe sees soccer and how it is supposed to be played then you realize how far behind the U.S. really is at understanding the game.

The game isn't the goal. The game is the setup to make the goal.

That's pretty cold, man.

Geezus dude. If you didn't get the complete tongue in cheek content of my last paragraph then you are an idiot. And know nothing of Curtis's historical Coug connection and are blind as well. And didn't look at the picture.

Tell me - when you heard Mike Leach talk about how popcorn guy is responsible for our program success, or listened to Minshew say that the moustache is the main reason for our success, did you think they were serious?

Sometimes you people slay me. Being a Coug is supposed to involve having a brain, using it, and having some social skills and a sense of humor.

Reactions: kougkurt
We play soccer wrong here in the U.S. and don't have an understanding of the game which is why Americans find it boring. I spent some time in England and really learned a lot about soccer and why it is such an incredible game.

1st of all it's a true team sport. Basketball is actually a derivative of soccer and when you understand that the game starts to make a lot more sense. While America is obsessed with the individual player like Lebron or Jordan you see some of the best teams in the NBA or in college basketball are the ones who move the ball and setup the best open shot. You can look to Golden State with Klay. It's not just Klay, It's not just Steph, it's not just Durrant. It's all those guys moving the ball creating opportunities.

That's soccer. And yes it is a low scoring game but it is a game that basically LIVES in the setup and execution. Once you understand that concept that it's not about some superstar or 1 man magic (even though soccer does herald people like Messi/Rinaldo/Pele/Maradona) it really is about the ball distribution and the strategy of the setup. It's also not a suprise that many of the teams with "Lone Superstar" players like Messi and Argentina fall short all the time.

Here's a good example of the Ticky Tacky style of FC Barcelona. When you understand that this is how Europe sees soccer and how it is supposed to be played then you realize how far behind the U.S. really is at understanding the game.

The game isn't the goal. The game is the setup to make the goal.

YouTube says the video is unavailable. While I prefer traditional direct English football style, you'd be a fool not to recognize the importance that Spanish ball possession concepts have had on the game. It has made the prior "gold standard" of the game, Brazilian, "through the middle" style, look down right backward. If you must prepare to defend against Tiki taka offenses, what Brazil trys to do is a yawn, and it shows.

Go Cougs

I'll just add my .02$. Soccer to me like many "American" sports, is much more enjoyable at the amateur level. Not as much flopping and BS in college soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT