ADVERTISEMENT

My view is that Pac-12 opponents in bowl games were physically...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
superior (size, speed, strength), but how much of a factor were coaching changes in the Pac-12, actual and rumored (Leach/Grinch)? Oregon, ASU (even though Todd Graham was on the sideline), UCLA, and WSU all got spanked.
Again, I can't emphasize the difference in size, speed, and strength enough. Penn State rarely had to double team Vita Vea. That speaks volumes.

The Pac12 just had a down year. This was demonstrated in the bowl games. Conference strength waxes and wanes. I do not see this as a long term issue. We'll be back. Probably not next year as most of the good quarterbacks are leaving but eventually. Who is to say that the Pac12 does not put a couple of teams into the championship playoffs in 2019?

superior (size, speed, strength), but how much of a factor were coaching changes in the Pac-12, actual and rumored (Leach/Grinch)? Oregon, ASU (even though Todd Graham was on the sideline), UCLA, and WSU all got spanked.
Again, I can't emphasize the difference in size, speed, and strength enough. Penn State rarely had to double team Vita Vea. That speaks volumes.
as far as WSU goes, I don't think the leach rumors had an effect, the right side of our line has been weak all season, salmonson is just not a pac 12 player and mauigoa is adequate at best and this area is where most of our line problems occured

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
as far as WSU goes, I don't think the leach rumors had an effect, the right side of our line has been weak all season, salmonson is just not a pac 12 player and mauigoa is adequate at best and this area is where most of our line problems occured

Currently a sophomore, Mauigoa at least will get stronger (I hope) and wiser. Salmonson was a senior, and still got used.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Mauigoa played against enough guys like Vea to know what he needs to do from a conditioning standpoint and technique perspective I'm sure. I assume Valencia and Bigge-Duren will comprise two of the three new starters, but this unit is the one to watch in the spring. I feel like there's enough known quantities on the offensive skill positions and the back seven on defense to have some idea what to expect. The line play and the kicking game though, well, we won't know what we have there really until next September.

Reactions: kayak15
The Pac12 just had a down year. This was demonstrated in the bowl games. Conference strength waxes and wanes. I do not see this as a long term issue. We'll be back. Probably not next year as most of the good quarterbacks are leaving but eventually. Who is to say that the Pac12 does not put a couple of teams into the championship playoffs in 2019?

The college football "overseers" have to hold their nose to put 1 PAC team in. If 2 PAC teams got in, there would be an 8 team playoff announced for the following season before that playoff even started. Conference strength does wax and wane,but the overall perceptions stay pretty much the same.

Mauigoa played against enough guys like Vea to know what he needs to do from a conditioning standpoint and technique perspective I'm sure. I assume Valencia and Bigge-Duren will comprise two of the three new starters, but this unit is the one to watch in the spring. I feel like there's enough known quantities on the offensive skill positions and the back seven on defense to have some idea what to expect. The line play and the kicking game though, well, we won't know what we have there really until next September.
Like the general drift of your post but not so sure about Valencia. It was anticipated when Valencia was recruited that he would fit into the right guard spot. But in camp he couldn't move out Salmonson and Salmonson struggled all year. Unless there was an injury that we are unaware of or something else going on with the kid then I would expect one of the promising backups to take the right guard slot. I would imagine that Bigge-Duren and Osur-Myers would be two of the favorites for next year's O-line. The third guy? Your guess is as good as mine.

I like Mauigoa but you are right. He needs more size and strength to deal with opposing nose tackles. Another offseason with the S&C guys will do him well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT