ADVERTISEMENT

Natty thread...

Just watched a replay, was working while it was on. I haven't seen Saban get outcoached like that ever. Clemson had better talent too, but schematically Saban got worked. And you know what? I bet part of him loves it. That guy lives for the process, and motivating his players shouldn't be too hard this next year.

I'm not sure that Saban was "outcoached" in this game as much as his players just got outplayed when it mattered. Tua made some really bad choices on throws and personally gave up 14 points. His players couldn't execute basic plays in the red zone and left 21 points on the table. They lost by 28 points. I will say that I would have never imagine seeing a Saban coached Alabama team being outplayed the way that they did. Defensively, I suppose you could say that they got outcoached but again, it looked like Clemson just wanted it more. Maybe I've listened to Leach too much?

Just watched a replay, was working while it was on. I haven't seen Saban get outcoached like that ever. Clemson had better talent too, but schematically Saban got worked. And you know what? I bet part of him loves it. That guy lives for the process, and motivating his players shouldn't be too hard this next year.

IMO Tua and Lupoi were exposed. Clemson only outgained Bama by 39 yards. Tua just stands in the pocket forever and chucks the ball downfield to guys that are wide open. Reading coverage and going through progressions is not his thing. Lupoi looked like Sarkisian’s bagman.

The constant turnover of Alabama’s coordinators caught up with them.

I think it was Chris Fowler who just a few days ago said we can't have an eight team playoff because the games would be blow outs.

Reactions: random soul
I think it was Chris Fowler who just a few days ago said we can't have an eight team playoff because the games would be blow outs.

The tough thing about college football is that a 2 team or 4 team system tends to empower the powerful and maintain the status quo. There are a lot of people that like that. Right now, the ACC and SEC have zero reason to support a larger system. The bowls obviously don't want an expanded playoff because the logistics don't support first round games being bowl games and the value of bowl games will be further diminished. Fowler is absolutely right that there would be some first round blowouts in an expanded playoff. In the FCS playoffs, 16 of the 23 games were decided by double digits and NDSU won their first three games by at least three touchdowns.

However, an 8 team playoff featuring 5 Power 5 champs, top Group of 5 team and the next two at large teams is better for all the conferences regardless of their blowouts. With an 8 team playoff, the AC would have been even more compelling. Iowa State would have been playoff Texas for the opportunity to play OU to get into the CFP instead of the Sugar Bowl. Texas would have been playing for a CFP appearance instead of knowing that they were going to be in the Sugar Bowl win or lose. UCF would have had their shot at the brass ring. Coverage of each conference is more meaningful during the middle of the season because every team in the Top 2 of each division is a contender to be in the playoff instead of an also ran before the season begins.

So yeah, Fowler is right that there would be some bad first round games in an 8 team playoff.......but there's blowouts in the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament and you don't see them shrinking the size of that.

The tough thing about college football is that a 2 team or 4 team system tends to empower the powerful and maintain the status quo. There are a lot of people that like that. Right now, the ACC and SEC have zero reason to support a larger system. The bowls obviously don't want an expanded playoff because the logistics don't support first round games being bowl games and the value of bowl games will be further diminished. Fowler is absolutely right that there would be some first round blowouts in an expanded playoff. In the FCS playoffs, 16 of the 23 games were decided by double digits and NDSU won their first three games by at least three touchdowns.

However, an 8 team playoff featuring 5 Power 5 champs, top Group of 5 team and the next two at large teams is better for all the conferences regardless of their blowouts. With an 8 team playoff, the AC would have been even more compelling. Iowa State would have been playoff Texas for the opportunity to play OU to get into the CFP instead of the Sugar Bowl. Texas would have been playing for a CFP appearance instead of knowing that they were going to be in the Sugar Bowl win or lose. UCF would have had their shot at the brass ring. Coverage of each conference is more meaningful during the middle of the season because every team in the Top 2 of each division is a contender to be in the playoff instead of an also ran before the season begins.

So yeah, Fowler is right that there would be some bad first round games in an 8 team playoff.......but there's blowouts in the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament and you don't see them shrinking the size of that.
Exactly right, except that your forgot the fans. Much better for them too.

IMO Tua and Lupoi were exposed. Clemson only outgained Bama by 39 yards. Tua just stands in the pocket forever and chucks the ball downfield to guys that are wide open. Reading coverage and going through progressions is not his thing. Lupoi looked like Sarkisian’s bagman.

The constant turnover of Alabama’s coordinators caught up with them.
Yeah they were out coached and outplayed. Their OC has a HC job he’s thinking about and Tosh is over his skis. That guy is a recruiting mercinary not a DC. I won’t even get into the fake FG, I hope for Jeff Banks sake Saban pulled the trigger on that one or he may be looking fir a new job.

Then the players just quit.

Saban’s assistant coaches leaving every year has prob caught up to him.

Im not impressed with his coordinators.

Reactions: random soul
Yeah they were out coached and outplayed. Their OC has a HC job he’s thinking about and Tosh is over his skis. That guy is a recruiting mercinary not a DC. I won’t even get into the fake FG, I hope for Jeff Banks sake Saban pulled the trigger on that one or he may be looking fir a new job.

Then the players just quit.
Saban has an issue. When Hurts went in that OL just rolled over and let him get destroyed; I've never seen a Saban team do that before. Felt bad for Jalen at that point.

Since 1985:
NCAA tournament 16 seeds are 1-135 all time (0.007), and the average margin in those games is just under 25 points.
15 seeds are only slightly better, at 8-126 (0.059)
14 seeds are 21-115 (0.154)
13 seeds are 28-108 (0.206)
12 seeds are 47-89 (0.346)

A grand total of 9 teams seeded 13-16 have ever made the Sweet Sixteen. None advanced. So, of 136 teams seeded 13-16, not one has come within 4 wins of a title. 11's and 12's really aren't that much better, none of them have made it to the final either. Seems clear they don't have a realistic shot, so why include them in the tournament? Should be pretty easy to cut it down to 40 or 48 teams, right?

But instead, they've created play-in games and expanded the tournament to an odd 68 teams. Nobody cares that the low seeds don't have a chance, and get blown out every time they step on the floor. I'm not sure why...I don't think I've ever bothered watching a 1-16 game. The outcome is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

So yeah, the "there would be blowouts" argument doesn't really hold water. Besides...look at this year's CFP. If avoiding blowouts is the standard, then none of this year's 3 games meet it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT