ADVERTISEMENT

New Chancellor in charge at WSU Pullman

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
Not sure if anyone saw this last summer, and Elizabeth Chilton was there during Dickert hiring ceremonies, and I wondered why, didn't fully understand but now i get it, she is now Chun's boss.
President Schulz is still in Pullman and will be moving out of the President's house to make room for the Chilton's, and has purchased a home in Pullman. Shultz's job is now to spend more time over seeing all 6 of WSU campuses and fund raising. Needless to say Schultz had influence at the pac 12 conference meetings, not sure who goes to those now. Apparently this is something more universities are doing, just scuffling the deck a little.

Here is a link the the Evergreen article:

Chancellor Chilton to run Pullman Campus

I don't see how this makes sense. Similar to the trend of having a head of school in addition to a principal or principals in elementary and high schools. It seems to me just like another layer of bureaucracy.
Seems?

The higher ed admin salary animal is a hungry beast that has to be fed with more layers of titles. What's a vice-chancellor title bring? $350K? $400K?

Reactions: random soul
Seems?

The higher ed admin salary animal is a hungry beast that has to be fed with more layers of titles. What's a vice-chancellor title bring? $350K? $400K?
Sgt Schulz is still a doofus and they appointed someone from the NE who has never been around a school involved with athletics (sorry UMass don't count) to run Pullman.

Reactions: HCoug and TrumpCoug
This does concern me:

they appointed someone from the NE who has never been around a school involved with athletics (sorry UMass don't count) to run Pullman.

This does concern me:

they appointed someone from the NE who has never been around a school involved with athletics (sorry UMass don't count) to run Pullman.
She never even VISITED Pullman prior to taking the job.

A Zoom hire through a search firm

Seems?

Times 1.5x since you have to get their spouse a gig at the school also.

From another NeverRead article on the airport terminal on where WSU's contribution came from - looks like Schulz wife made him sell the Seattle bachelor pad before he becomes fundraiser.

The $600,000 WSU is contributing to the new terminal came from selling a university-owned condominium in Seattle, which WSU President Kirk Schulz sold because he felt he was not using it enough, Weiler said.

Seems?

A vice chancellor title brings somewhere in the $150-200K range, generally. But Chilton isn't a VC, she's a Chancellor.

Based on 2020 figures, the current chancellors of the physical WSU campuses had salaries ranging from $260K to $430K. Oddly enough, the lowest paid is in Everett, highest is in Spokane. And, for those who like looking at such things, the two minorities (1 woman, 1 Black) are the 2 lowest paid at $260 & $380, while the 2 white guys are both over $400K.

Chilton has been making $190K as a provost & VP. She's also had a $82K line as adjunct faculty, so she's been paid more than the Everett Chancellor since she started. She'll get a raise, I'd guess that she'll get into the lower 400s. In addition to that, she has moved into the President's home in Pullman. Word on the street is that Schulz has a place on the south hill, and he'll work out of there more than Pullman.

Schulz made $950K. He basically got a 50% raise between 2017 and 2020 (625 in 2017, 950 in 2020). His wife pulls down another $200K as a professor and research associate.

And all of the campuses wonder why they don't have money for custodians and mechanics.

Reactions: HCoug
A vice chancellor title brings somewhere in the $150-200K range, generally. But Chilton isn't a VC, she's a Chancellor.

Based on 2020 figures, the current chancellors of the physical WSU campuses had salaries ranging from $260K to $430K. Oddly enough, the lowest paid is in Everett, highest is in Spokane. And, for those who like looking at such things, the two minorities (1 woman, 1 Black) are the 2 lowest paid at $260 & $380, while the 2 white guys are both over $400K.

Chilton has been making $190K as a provost & VP. She's also had a $82K line as adjunct faculty, so she's been paid more than the Everett Chancellor since she started. She'll get a raise, I'd guess that she'll get into the lower 400s. In addition to that, she has moved into the President's home in Pullman. Word on the street is that Schulz has a place on the south hill, and he'll work out of there more than Pullman.

Schulz made $950K. He basically got a 50% raise between 2017 and 2020 (625 in 2017, 950 in 2020). His wife pulls down another $200K as a professor and research associate.

And all of the campuses wonder why they don't have money for custodians and mechanics.
I doubt they wonder why, they just don't care.

Reactions: WillieThePimp

And then there are the m***** f****** who retire from higher Ed to go on a pension only to be rehired for the same job because “their job required a special skill set that no one else possesses” so they can then pull a fat 6-figure pension on top of their bloated salary.

• Angry
Reactions: cougcowboy

Hacks hire hacks.

Remember Dan Evans who created Evergreen State College and then landed there after he left the Governor's chair? Meanwhile every college save UW were being starved for funding.

This new WSU hack was at UMass while Billy Bulger "the corrupt midget" and brother of mobster serial killer Whitey Bulger was school president.

Bulger got forced out for being evasive before Congress (despite having immunity) about past knowledge of his brother's whereabouts.

UMass hired another hack politician Marty Meehan as President.

Think this dual headed beast will be like what Leach complained about what he faced at Tech. A politician and/or meddler.

Reactions: 79COUG
And then there are the m***** f****** who retire from higher Ed to go on a pension only to be rehired for the same job because “their job required a special skill set that no one else possesses” so they can then pull a fat 6-figure pension on top of their bloated salary.

After this article came out, the rules were changed to make it tougher to do this. The law hasn't changed, only the policy. Now, the path to double-dipping is only available to faculty and administration (the highest paid employees), and it requires review and approval by the HR department.

After this article came out, the rules were changed to make it tougher to do this. The law hasn't changed, only the policy. Now, the path to double-dipping is only available to faculty and administration (the highest paid employees), and it requires review and approval by the HR department.
I'd be interested in know the actual prevalence of it happening now. I know you said its harder, but did it actually make a difference? If there is still a lack of doctorate level educators, then its probably still happening.

You know, business as usual, despite the window dressing that something has changed.

Reactions: WillieThePimp
Only available to faculty and admin? But aren’t those the people with the power and connections to exploit this absurdity anyway?

This was not limited to only higher education. I know for a fact that it has happened in the Tahoma School District, so assume it must have also been practiced in other districts. Never should have been allowed to happen, just adds to the total cost of education.

This was not limited to only higher education. I know for a fact that it has happened in the Tahoma School District, so assume it must have also been practiced in other districts. Never should have been allowed to happen, just adds to the total cost of education.
Happens with state and local public employees all the time.

Nice scam if you can pull it off. Requires some real skill to conceal just everything one is working on to become irreplaceable for a couple extra double dipping years.

And since it is your colleagues who are looking to pull the same scam down the road monitoring the situation, they don't have any incentive to blow the whistle.

Only available to faculty and admin? But aren’t those the people with the power and connections to exploit this absurdity anyway?
Exactly.

Classified staff can't participate in the WSU retirement plan, they're locked into PERS. Only faculty and some administrative staff (the ones with the biggest paychecks) can get into WSURP, so they can double dip.

Policy has changed to make it harder, but ultimately the only thing that needs to happen to reopen that door is another policy change.

There is at least 1 silver lining bright spot to this. I read a news article about this, and how the president was going to be over all the campuses, everything, and Chilton Chancellor of WSU Pullman campus, and how AD Chun, and 1,2,3 others were going to be Vice Chancelors.

Article said that Chun was going to remain AD and be AD and Vice Chancellor in Chilton's Cabinet.

Article said that UCLA, Cal, and 1 other college is also doing this, except not having AD being Vice Chancellor.

Also said that they werent doing this out of cronyism, and to raise Tuition rates, but rather instead to be better able to have better coverage. Kind of like if got extra recruiter for football or bball team to have better coverage.

The silver lining is the better coverage and how it might probably keep AD Chun at WSU with a pay raise for being Vice Chancellor in addition to AD.

That's if Chun is a good AD. If he not, then not a Silver lining.

But I think Chun is a good AD.

I think it's a good move that probably keeps Chun here, instead of going elsewhere, and keeps him here for about another 7 to 11 to 17 years.

And if need to fire him, can always get a new AD and also make a new AD a Vice Chancellor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT