ADVERTISEMENT

New Holiday Bowl matchup

Below is the list of bowl games and the pecking order that was announced in June. Overall, I'm excited for the changes in pecking order and venues. It's probably good that the matchup vs the MWC is one step higher than it's been recently and it's great that the Sun Bowl has been moved down the pecking order. Although San Diego is a beautiful place to be in late December, that stadium kind of blows and a move down the list was appropriate. If I were king, the only changes that I'd make would be to make the Las Vegas an SEC only matchup vs Pac-12 and I'd swap the Big 12 for one of the ACC matchups.

Of course, that last part probably falls on the Pac-12, because the Big 12 is staying in the Cheez-It Bowl and we bailed on that one. I suppose the argument is that Pac-12 fans aren't that interested in Phoenix in December?

1. Rose v. Big Ten
  2. Alamo v. Big 12
  3. Las Vegas v. SEC or Big Ten
  4. Los Angeles v. MW
  5. Holiday v. ACC
  6. Redbox v. Big Ten
  7. Sun v. ACC
  8. Independence v. ACC

If I were king I'd swap Alamo and Vegas. But if we get the #2 or at worst #3 B12 team, I'd call it worth it.

Yea QualComm Stadium would certainly be a dump looking at NFL Standards. Come on. Up grade the video. Shame on owner for not getting it done.

San Diego peeps rock

Yea QualComm Stadium would certainly be a dump looking at NFL Standards. Come on. Up grade the video. Shame on owner for not getting it done.

San Diego peeps rock

Yup, loved the city and surroundings....hated the stadium, twice in a row.

I feel bad for the Sun Bowl. That's a long standing bowl game. My old college roommate works for the Sun Bowl and I know they put a ton of time into making that as good an event as they can. I haven't been, but I've heard they really role out the red carpet and put on a show, given the location and date.

I feel bad for the Sun Bowl. That's a long standing bowl game. My old college roommate works for the Sun Bowl and I know they put a ton of time into making that as good an event as they can. I haven't been, but I've heard they really role out the red carpet and put on a show, given the location and date.

Watched us vs. Purdue and Miami. El Paso is bashed, but we’ve always enjoyed what the city and surrounding areas have to offer.
Was not a big fan of the Miami snowstorm, but me and my nephew always chuckle about our trip to EP and the ‘not so much’ Sun Bowl.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Watched us vs. Purdue and Miami. El Paso is bashed, but we’ve always enjoyed what the city and surrounding areas have to offer.
Was not a big fan of the Miami snowstorm, but me and my nephew always chuckle about our trip to EP and the ‘not so much’ Sun Bowl.

I went to both games as well. For a city that's supposed to have relatively mild winters, both game days sucked from a weather perspective. The high in 2001 was 48° according to weather underground and the 2015 weather was just a freakin' wreck of a day. I did meet some Cougs the night before the 2015 game and hung out playing pool until the early hours of the morning and that was fun......but it wasn't enough to counter the weather. One of my idiot friends left his ticket at the hotel for the 2001 game and we had to waste time going to get it and that made that experience kind of stupid. Nothing like having a great parking spot on the first trip to the game but then get stuck walking for about 20 minutes on round two. The pregame function in 2001 was poorly planned and there was only cold food and almost no alcohol available when we got there. I have no desire to ever set foot in the city of El Paso again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT