ADVERTISEMENT

New topic - Realignment! :)

Now your being absurd.

Here is a option, scenario.

After Aug 5, just 6 days from now, 9 to 12 MWC teams reverse merge into PAC, which FREE, doesn't cost WSU, OSU, PAC 12/2 anything, not saying anything sooner, so as to avoid giving official notice, announcement, as per what 95, and the rest of us, and the facts have said, so as to not lose 250 mil, etc, to the 10.

That could easily happen, and you, and all of us wouldn't know about it.

Also a deadline has been set to have a landing place, something like a reverse merger, joining MWC, etc, by, before, at the start of the football season, which is about 3.5 or so ish weeks after the Aug 5th, the day that after that day then can announce with no risk of losing 250 million, etc, to the 10.

Now after that, no more pussy footing around, and need to get something worked out after that, if something has not already been worked out.

If Big 12, ACC don't grav WSU, OSU by Aug 5th, and they probably wont, then after something is worked out with MWC, so MWC team in same conference as WSU/OSU, no matter is its 6 to 9 to 12 MWC teams, in PAC, or if WSU, OSU in PAC, then after that, then ACC can fall apart, and then either ACC takes WSU, OSU, or ACC leftover crumbs join either PAC, or MWC, with the other MWC teams, whatever number, in either PAC, or MWC, etc.

And if not that, then after the Big 12, SEC, Big 10 finish off ACC, then maybe Big 12 grabs WSU/OSU from PAC full of MWC teams, or from MWC.

Now if NONE of that happens, and if WSU/OSU caught holding the bag again, then that would be a STUPID EPIC failure on Teresa Gould's, Anne McCoy's, Schultz's, New WSU President's, WSU Board of trustees, WSU leadership or lack thereof, PAC leadership, or lack thereof, FAULT, BLAME.

But nothing we can do now except wait and see and hope, etc.

Being all Doom and Gloom, Chicken Little the sky is falling, when either isn't falling or Don't know if it's falling, don't know what's going to happen because leadership not announcing so as not not have to share 250 Mil with the 10, etc, is being SILLY, ABSURD, if doing that.

Now if you want to run around unneedingly like a chicken with your head cut off, and want to continue being Absurd about this, then go ahead, do so, as I am sure your not going to listen to me, or anyone else, and will just continue to be absurd about this no matter what anybody says
I'm being absurd to suggest that the Pac-2 do exactly what they agreed to pursue doing, in writing, last December? So they were being absurd to sign the agreement? Or just BS'ing us?

Hawaii (one school mind you) is about 300 miles farther than several, if not all, of the ACC schools outside of CalFurd. So yes my concern about multiple 2,000+ mile trips a season is based on distance. Do really think that enough ACC teams are going to bail in the next year-plus (and tell me where are they going to go? The Big-12 is not a step up) to entice them to come way the F out here and get WSU and OSU? CalFurd had to beg their way in at a reduced rate.

There are no dice to roll. It is closing time.
The ACC could collapse, kinda like we saw with the Pac-12. FSU and Clemson bailing seems quite similar to USC and UCLA bailing. If that happens the rest of the ACC is every school for itself.

Reactions: Coug90
Financials determine the upside. An East/West pod of programs of reconstituted Pac2, ACC, Military Academies and the best of the AAC and MWC is worth significantly more than joining the MWC straight up.

West coast football as a whole is teetering. Fan interest is lower out West than it is in all of the other regions. People with a lot more business savvy than any of us realized a while ago that they needed to tap into the crazed football regions like the Midwest, Southwest, and Southeast. Those are the fans who eat, sleep, and breath football.

If we settle on the MWC now, we'll have permanently relegated ourselves to only West coast viewership. We'll be selling WSU vs. Utah State while the other leagues will have cross sectional viewership windows. UW vs. Iowa, Stanford vs. North Carolina, USC vs. Michigan State, Utah vs. West Virginia.

I don't like the idea of intersectional conferences either, but I understand why things have moved that direction. I also really like the idea of playing in the same conference as the 3 military academies.
Loyal is ready to settle down with the Yak woman. She's a the sweet gal and a heck of a cook.

The rest of the article:

That football agreement also laid out in writing a “good faith” effort for the Pac-12 to absorb all Mountain West schools under the Pac-12 banner at no cost, “as promptly as reasonably practicable,” in time for the 2025-26 or 2026-27 seasons. That hasn’t happened.

Oregon State has six games on its 2025 football schedule and Washington State has five, not including a matchup with each other. Mountain West schools could theoretically fill out those schedules individually, or they could hold firm together and secure another conference-wide agreement.

“We’ll have to see if everything falls into place or we explore a different path for that second year,” new Washington State athletic director Anne McCoy said, “or if everything goes forward with the Mountain West.”

Big picture, Oregon State and Washington State want to buy as much time as possible and see what happens elsewhere — perhaps, say, if Florida State and Clemson try to officially leave the ACC, that league might explore getting back to 17 members. Oregon State athletic director Scott Barnes told The Athletic earlier this year that joining a Power 4 conference is the top priority, followed by some merger with the Mountain West.

Bottom of Form​
“It’s important to get the time to see where the landscape is going,” said Oregon State executive deputy athletic director Brent Blaylock, who represented OSU at the Vegas event. “We’ve seen the volatility of how things change. We know some of the other friction points going on in other places. So it’s important for us to just stay abreast of what’s going on.”

The Mountain West, meanwhile, feels more emboldened than it did a year ago and doesn’t appreciate the image of being a backup option. The introduction of a 12-team CFP means the Mountain West champion has a path to the Playoff for the foreseeable future, while the Pac-2 can only receive an at-large berth, and the CFP deal with ESPN runs through 2032. The Mountain West also got six teams into this year’s NCAA men’s basketball tournament. It won’t beg for two more members.

“When I first started (as commissioner), everyone was growing to 14, 16, and I thought maybe that’s where we need to be,” Nevarez said. “I’m not seeing a need now. Certainly if there’s an opportunity to make us better, I would absolutely chase that down. But I’m feeling pretty good about where we are.”

For this upcoming football season, the Mountain West is pushing its strength of schedule: League members will play 35 games against Power 5 opponents (including Oregon State and Washington State), with 15 of those games at home, by far the most of any Group of 5 conference.

What does hang over the Mountain West is its television deal, which recently added TNT Sports as a third partner and runs through 2025-26. That coincidentally times up with the Pac-2′s window. It’d be an easy moment to make an addition. But what about departures? The Mountain West office has maintained that its exit fee ($18 million, or $36 million for schools leaving within a year) applies regardless of the TV situation, something that was brought up last summer when San Diego State danced with the idea of leaving the league. Any attempt by Oregon State and Washington State to pull Group of 5 teams from multiple conferences would be very expensive, even with a $255 million war chest leftover from the Pac-12.

The football agreement signed last year lays out that adding one Mountain West school would cost the Pac-2 $10 million. Adding six schools would cost $67.5 million; 11 schools would cost $137.5 million, not including their exit fees for leaving the MW. But adding all 12 would cost nothing. The league held firm in putting that deal together, protecting everyone.

The one wild-card scenario is dissolving the Mountain West, which would require nine of 12 schools voting in favor and therefore removing any exit fees. That possibility has not garnered enough votes to be an option, especially given the open desire of the Pac-2 schools to land elsewhere.

Oregon State and Washington State will chart their future amid plenty of internal change. Football coach Jonathan Smith and highly-touted quarterback Aidan Chiles left Oregon State for Michigan State, and star running back Damien Martinez went to Miami (Fla.). Washington State athletic director Pat Chun left for Washington, and talented quarterback Cam Ward went to Miami. Influential president Kirk Schulz will retire next June. That turnover has made a difficult situation even tougher.

No one associated with the Pac-2 in that Bellagio conference room could say what the future holds, but after a year of upheaval and ahead of a historic and unique fall, an open bar felt appropriate.

“If anybody has earned the right to drink,” Gould said, “it’s the Pac-12.”

This article originally appeared in The Athletic.

By Chris Vannini | The Athletic

What the article, MWC, media, etc, everyone, etc, wrong about:

A 12-0, 11-1 AAC champ can make it into the 12 team CFP play off OVER, INSTEAD of a 12-0, 11-1 MWC champ.

That's why the MWC will end up shooting themselves in foot, if the top 6 to 9 MWC teams don't reverse merge into PAC, and then get ACC left overs, as that configuration, is BETTER then the MWC is now, and would NOT have a 12-0, 11-1 AAC champ making it into 12 team CFP over 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 PAC champ, and 12-0, 11-1, 10-2,
9-3 PAC champ, in PAC that include ONLY BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, Airforce, Colorado St, Utah St, Memphis, Tulane, USF, Cal, SMU, NDSU, WSU, OSU, UTSA, SJSU, would have better bowls, better bowl money, way better media deal, BETTER 12 TEAM CFP ACCESS, then the MWC, as it's now presently constituted, and if WSU, OSU joined MWC, or if whole entire MWC joins PAC, instead of the top 6,7,8,9 MWC teams, ONLY joining PAC.

So unless the top 6,7,8,9 MWC teams join PAC, they are shooting themselves in FOOT.

I'm being absurd to suggest that the Pac-2 do exactly what they agreed to pursue doing, in writing, last December? So they were being absurd to sign the agreement? Or just BS'ing us?

Your reading comprehension needs work. 95, me, others are saying that you could get either what you want or extremely close to what you want, by the top 6,7,8,9,10,11,12 MWC joining PAC on Aug 6th to avoid losing 250 mil to the 10 by announcing, doing it sooner.

Whether it literally happens now, today, tomorrow, or whether it happens Aug 6th, etc, then something good is still being done.

If you don't get that, then yes, your being absurd about this.

Your reading comprehension needs work. 95, me, others are saying that you could get either what you want or extremely close to what you want, by the top 6,7,8,9,10,11,12 MWC joining PAC on Aug 6th to avoid losing 250 mil to the 10 by announcing, doing it sooner.

Whether it literally happens now, today, tomorrow, or whether it happens Aug 6th, etc, then something good is still being done.

If you don't get that, then yes, your being absurd about this.
First of all, the date in question is August 2, not August 5. Second, I read just fine. Just because 95 thinks that "announcing" some future plan triggers the loss of $250M doesn't make it accurate. Because that is not accurate at all. Third, other teams joining the Pac, regardless of the date, would in no way cause us to lose a dime to the traitorous 10. Only us leaving the Pac-2 would cause that. And if we said we were leaving next year, then the money still out there to be collected NEXT YEAR would be at risk.

Lastly, you have no idea whether "something good is still being done".

The ACC could collapse, kinda like we saw with the Pac-12. FSU and Clemson bailing seems quite similar to USC and UCLA bailing. If that happens the rest of the ACC is every school for itself.
I'm about done with this, but I'll ask one last thing. When do you think the ACC might collapse?

Very intriguing update from John Calzano via Brand X:

John has learned from some his "TV exec" sources that WSU and OSU are looking at starting a new power conference with San Diego State, Colorado State, Memphis, South Florida, TX-San Antone, North TX State, Air Force, Army and Navy with the trio of Boise, Fresno and UNLV on some sort of waiting list.

Calzano said fans should expect to hear something in the first quarter of 2025 — just 4-7 months from now.

Sounds like things are heating up

Last edited:
Also via Brand X:
  • Canzano cited several sources in reporting the "growing role" for Oregon State AD Scott Barnes working alongside Pac-12 Commissioner Teresa Gould. "Anne McCoy, the new athletic director at WSU is a solid ally with lots of institutional knowledge, but the role Barnes will play in this Pac-12 drama is an important one."
Sounds like AD McCoy is fitting in well with her new role

John has learned from some his "TV exec" sources that WSU and OSU are looking at starting a new power conference with San Diego State, Colorado State, Memphis, South Florida, TX-San Antone, North TX State, Air Force, Army and Navy with the trio of Boise, Fresno and UNLV on some sort of waiting list.

Calzano said fans should expect to hear something in the first quarter of 2025 — just 4-7 months from now.

Also via Brand X:
  • Canzano cited several sources in reporting the "growing role" for Oregon State AD Scott Barnes working alongside Pac-12 Commissioner Teresa Gould. "Anne McCoy, the new athletic director at WSU is a solid ally with lots of institutional knowledge, but the role Barnes will play in this Pac-12 drama is an important one."
Sounds like AD McCoy is fitting in well with her new role
So, Pete, do you subscribe to Brand X, or Calzone's clickbait site, or both? Cuz all that shit is behind paywalls. Thanks for posting it though. Keep it up.

First off, Calzone has been off-base on every single thing he has "reported" in the last year. His rumors mean nothing. Second, the teams you (he) describe are absolutely nowhere near a "Power" Conference collection. And just who are we (the Pac-2) when it comes to starting a "power" conference? Kinda thinking that the P4 has the market cornered on determining who is in their club.

Lastly, is Anne McCoy your Mom or sister or something? You spend a lot of keystrokes singing her praises. Calzone's quote above is a backhanded compliment - at best. Where the hell is all the excitement around "Mike Leach Day" against TT? Oh, there isn't any because she isn't smart enough to come up with that PR concept.

Last edited:
Lastly, is Anne McCoy your Mom or sister or something? You spend a lot of keystrokes singing her praises. Your quote above is a backhanded compliment - at best. Where the hell is all the excitement around "Mike Leach Day" against TT? Oh, there isn't any because she isn't smart enough to come up with that PR concept.

AD McCoy wouldn't know me from the man on the moon, but I admit I'm hoping she does well in her new position. By all accounts she's a great gal. Who doesn't like to see nice folks do well?

I don't have much of anything in the way of inside sources, but I can share that a long-time WSU buddy of mine from SW Washington says it's common knowledge among top boosters that Pres. Schulz has one foot out the door and seems to have "checked our mentally" with less than a year left on his job.

Maybe that's why the AD at Oregon State is doing the heavy lifting (with the support of AD McCoy and the new lady Pac-2 commissioner) to upgrade and stabilize the conference situation

Where the hell is all the excitement around "Mike Leach Day" against TT? Oh, there isn't any because she isn't smart enough to come up with that PR concept.

Maybe she forwarded your suggestion to the powers-that-be, but it was voted down because CML rubbed some key administrators the wrong way during his departure from WSU?

Maybe she forwarded your suggestion to the powers-that-be, but it was voted down because CML rubbed some key administrators the wrong way during his departure from WSU?
Yep, that is why we are inducting him into the WSU Athletic Hall of Fame - because he pissed everybody off by leaving.

And she is the Power-that-be. She reports to lame duck Schulz you know.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
First of all, the date in question is August 2, not August 5. Second, I read just fine. Just because 95 thinks that "announcing" some future plan triggers the loss of $250M doesn't make it accurate. Because that is not accurate at all. Third, other teams joining the Pac, regardless of the date, would in no way cause us to lose a dime to the traitorous 10. Only us leaving the Pac-2 would cause that. And if we said we were leaving next year, then the money still out there to be collected NEXT YEAR would be at risk.

Well…since we (successfully) made the argument that by announcing their departure before August 2, 2024, the 10 lost their right to a vote or to the conference spoils, if we announce anything that looks like a departure before that date…it’s a risk.

Why do I have to keep explaining this? The document signed last December "laid out in writing a “good faith” effort for the Pac-12 to absorb all Mountain West schools under the Pac-12 banner at no cost, “as promptly as reasonably practicable,” in time for the 2025-26 or 2026-27 seasons. "

This is what I keeeep telling you guys. This is what needs to happen. The Pac-2 needs to show up at Gloria's door, hats in hand, and say "please please can we just go back to this plan? We will install you as Commissioner and the Alaska Air PacMtn-14 HQ will be in Colorado Springs".

You keep explaining things but you keep failing to do basic math. The MWC TV deal sucks......a lot. Those teams get less than $4 million per year right now. If things go great and we join them, maybe it goes to $10 million/year. So....if we lose $100 million by folding our hand now, it will take at least ten years to recover the lost money and that's assuming that our school has zero media value without the MWC. Even if the real number is closer to $65 million, it's years before we break even. The reality is that bailing for the MWC now likely sets us back 10 years in revenue.

We would be stupid to join the MWC now.

You keep explaining things but you keep failing to do basic math. The MWC TV deal sucks......a lot. Those teams get less than $4 million per year right now. If things go great and we join them, maybe it goes to $10 million/year. So....if we lose $100 million by folding our hand now, it will take at least ten years to recover the lost money and that's assuming that our school has zero media value without the MWC. Even if the real number is closer to $65 million, it's years before we break even. The reality is that bailing for the MWC now likely sets us back 10 years in revenue.

It would be nice to make $10 million. Our media contract ends in 2026 and more than likely we should have a new contract negotiated next year. A new player has stepped into the picture. TNT has picked up 14 MWC games this coming season and they also bought the rights to some CFP games. They lost out on a new NBA contract where they were paying more than the $2.6 billion dollars. So, they've decided to jump back into the college football market. They haven't had a college football broadcast since 2006 and they want to get back into it. I'm hoping they will compete with CBS and Fox for the media rights next year and help raise our payouts. With those 14 games they've picked up this coming season I cannot find any dollar amount associated to that. CBS and Fox picked the best of what they wanted so TNT has picked up the leftovers to show they want back in college football.

To your other point. If all you have to wait is a couple of more days to put a lock on all your money who wouldn't do that.

Reactions: mikalalas

Geezus F-ing Christ. Have I EVER said we should join the MW? NO! I've said we need to do the reverse merger. That is what this whole thread is about. But we are screwing the pooch.

We are relegated to the G5. Where we belong. You delusional Cougs need to get your arms around that.

Well…since we (successfully) made the argument that by announcing their departure before August 2, 2024, the 10 lost their right to a vote or to the conference spoils, if we announce anything that looks like a departure before that date…it’s a risk.
Not true buddy. How we wrangled the exit penalty I don't know. But the vast majority of our windfall is the money that the league gets post-depature. So no. And I have NEVER advocated that we "depart" the Pac-2. Why do you say that shit?

Today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year. The lawsuit won’t go on forever.
I'm sure glad you are not my lawyer Gibby. Try 4,5, 10 years. Although the ones I have had in my life all sucked doggy dicks.

It's accurate, not because 95 said it, or any of us said it. It's accurate because according to the actual contract legal ease that we all examined with a fine tooth comb(except maybe not you), announcing before the PAC media deal expire, causes whoever announces they are leaving to lose everything, etc.

Then 95, lawyer Gibbs interpreted the PAC contract that way. Then the Law Firm WSU hired, interpreted it that way. And WSU, OSU interpreted it that way. And the Court, Judge decided in WSU favor, ruled, interpreted that way.

That means that according to that, if WSU announces that they are joining MWC, or Big 12, SEC, or MWC Merging with PAC, etc, even if it's announced that it won't happen until 3.5 years from now, then just announcing it will trigger losing 250 mil, if announced before the PAC media deal expires in August 2024.

And that's why the 10 lost everything, because the 10 announced before the PAC media deal expires in August 2024, even tho the 10 tried to say "We didn't leave or announce, and only said that we will will announce it after Aug 2024, so we are still in compliance, and should not lose everything". That didn't fly for them, and with the courts, judges, etc, so if WSU/OSU announces before August 2nd or 5th or before whenever the media deal expires, then the 10 will goto the courts, judges and say "what's good for the goose is good for the gander", and the judges will agree and rule that the 250 mil has to be split equally with the 10, before PAC dissolved, etc.

That's how it works, that's how it will works, that's the facts.

And even if it doesn't work that way, WSU, OSU don't want to test that, risk that happening.

So WSU, OSU, PAC will not announce anything until after the PAC media deal expires in August 2024.

And There is NO harm doing it that way.

Now after August 2024, if nothing good done after then, then that's when to be concerned.

So yes you were being absurd.

That's more believable then what MHVER3 saying Big 12 add WSU, OSU, because Canzano is more credible then MHVER3, and Greg Swaime that also say that, where both Greg, MHVER just throw out a Zillion things and see what sticks.

We are relegated to the G5. Where we belong. You delusional Cougs need to get your arms around that.

???

Bowl games, NCAA Tournaments, Legendary Athletes, The Flag, Probably the greatest ESPN GameDay ever: WSU was plenty successful in the Pac-8/10/12 over the years.

It's accurate, not because 95 said it, or any of us said it. It's accurate because according to the actual contract legal ease that we all examined with a fine tooth comb(except maybe not you), announcing before the PAC media deal expire, causes whoever announces they are leaving to lose everything, etc.

Then 95, lawyer Gibbs interpreted the PAC contract that way. Then the Law Firm WSU hired, interpreted it that way. And WSU, OSU interpreted it that way. And the Court, Judge decided in WSU favor, ruled, interpreted that way.

That means that according to that, if WSU announces that they are joining MWC, or Big 12, SEC, or MWC Merging with PAC, etc, even if it's announced that it won't happen until 3.5 years from now, then just announcing it will trigger losing 250 mil, if announced before the PAC media deal expires in August 2024.

And that's why the 10 lost everything, because the 10 announced before the PAC media deal expires in August 2024, even tho the 10 tried to say "We didn't leave or announce, and only said that we will will announce it after Aug 2024, so we are still in compliance, and should not lose everything". That didn't fly for them, and with the courts, judges, etc, so if WSU/OSU announces before August 2nd or 5th or before whenever the media deal expires, then the 10 will goto the courts, judges and say "what's good for the goose is good for the gander", and the judges will agree and rule that the 250 mil has to be split equally with the 10, before PAC dissolved, etc.

That's how it works, that's how it will works, that's the facts.

And even if it doesn't work that way, WSU, OSU don't want to test that, risk that happening.

So WSU, OSU, PAC will not announce anything until after the PAC media deal expires in August 2024.

And There is NO harm doing it that way.

Now after August 2024, if nothing good done after then, then that's when to be concerned.

So yes you were being absurd.
There is so much inaccuracy and made up BS in your post that I'm not even going to start. I am so tempted to say some really mean (but accurate) things to you, Mik, but I shall refrain because I am in a calm, benevolent, almost hypnotic mood this morning.

???

Bowl games, NCAA Tournaments, Legendary Athletes, The Flag, Probably the greatest ESPN GameDay ever: WSU was plenty successful in the Pac-8/10/12 over the years.
Yes we have had some great moments. I was at Gameday. I was also at the USC game when they took a knee in the first half while in at least FG range.

I also noticed that when the traitorous 10 left, no one reached out and snagged WSU or OSU. Apparently I am the only one on this board that took note of that.

I'm sure glad you are not my lawyer Gibby. Try 4,5, 10 years. Although the ones I have had in my life all sucked doggy dicks.
I was being polite. You asked a question that has no answer. It was a stupid question to ask. The lawsuit could settle tomorrow. It could go to trial. After trial there could be appeals.

Given the large amount of time you obviously have available, why don't you see what you can find about any settlement negotiations or court deadlines and report back to us. In other words, make yourself useful.

Geezus F-ing Christ. Have I EVER said we should join the MW? NO! I've said we need to do the reverse merger. That is what this whole thread is about. But we are screwing the pooch.

Well, the reverse merger part of the discussion is an even bigger financial disaster in the short term. The teams that we are interested in bringing over can't really have open discussions about leaving the MWC without triggering extensive financial penalties. We stroked the traitorous ten for a lot of money. The penalties that MWC teams face far exceed any financial gain that we can offer.

I think it’s very likely the ACC does collapse. Soon. The big12 is weak in comparison to the Big10 and SEC. I think you’ll see a collection of schools that will combine to be a similar P4 conference as the big12, and perhaps a few of the B12 schools jumping ship. WSU is in a decent spot at least from a football sense. They’d be at least in the middle of that pack as far as tv viewership and gives any conference a good tv market in Seattle.

Reverse merger with the MWC or joining the MWC is essentially the same. You'd still be playing the same teams and it's essentially waving the white flag on athletics and your university. WSU (and OSU) have to fight like hell to remain apart of the P4 conversation and figure out a way in. It's a death knell to each of those universities otherwise:

-Being a R1 doesn't really have the clout without P4 athletics. You'll see kids continue to stay closer to home, go online/local. Which, havering a guess, is already happening nationally, but will likely accelerate quickly for WSU (and OSU). WSU last I looked, is the most expensive PNW school between WSU/UO/OSU/F***s. What would a student be paying for?​
-No longer P4 athletic program? If you're a student, why not go elsewhere? If it were me looking for a university in 2024, I probably focus more on similar options with better weather or bigger athletics. Maybe the West Coast doesn't care as much, maybe I'm the minority in that thinking.​
-How is WSU (and OSU) going to get creative in continue to build campuses, attendance, culture, etc. without having P4 athletics? It is the doorstep to the university. Currently WSU has in-limbo leadership, a lack of vision across the board, and limiting resources.​

These admins better fight like hell to get into a P4, and starting Aug 2nd, it should be gloves off and publicly getting to work. I'm not exactly signing up to tune into a reverse merger MWC conference. College Football is clearly no longer regional, it's national. At this point, WSU (and OSU) better work to get into the BXII to give themselves the best possible opportunity and continuing to build their own national footprint, or get damn creative.

And you're correct no other of the 10 handed out a lifeboat to either WSU or OSU. It's the ol, "I got mine, go away now" mindset. WSU better go get theirs.

Well, the reverse merger part of the discussion is an even bigger financial disaster in the short term. The teams that we are interested in bringing over can't really have open discussions about leaving the MWC without triggering extensive financial penalties. We stroked the traitorous ten for a lot of money. The penalties that MWC teams face far exceed any financial gain that we can offer.
The escape hatch would be dissolution of the MWC, I believe.

Reverse merger with the MWC or joining the MWC is essentially the same. You'd still be playing the same teams and it's essentially waving the white flag on athletics and your university. WSU (and OSU) have to fight like hell to remain apart of the P4 conversation and figure out a way in. It's a death knell to each of those universities otherwise:

-Being a R1 doesn't really have the clout without P4 athletics. You'll see kids continue to stay closer to home, go online/local. Which, havering a guess, is already happening nationally, but will likely accelerate quickly for WSU (and OSU). WSU last I looked, is the most expensive PNW school between WSU/UO/OSU/F***s. What would a student be paying for?​
-No longer P4 athletic program? If you're a student, why not go elsewhere? If it were me looking for a university in 2024, I probably focus more on similar options with better weather or bigger athletics. Maybe the West Coast doesn't care as much, maybe I'm the minority in that thinking.​
-How is WSU (and OSU) going to get creative in continue to build campuses, attendance, culture, etc. without having P4 athletics? It is the doorstep to the university. Currently WSU has in-limbo leadership, a lack of vision across the board, and limiting resources.​

These admins better fight like hell to get into a P4, and starting Aug 2nd, it should be gloves off and publicly getting to work. I'm not exactly signing up to tune into a reverse merger MWC conference. College Football is clearly no longer regional, it's national. At this point, WSU (and OSU) better work to get into the BXII to give themselves the best possible opportunity and continuing to build their own national footprint, or get damn creative.

And you're correct no other of the 10 handed out a lifeboat to either WSU or OSU. It's the ol, "I got mine, go away now" mindset. WSU better go get theirs.
WSU has gotten surprisingly expensive. Ask me at the end of this school year. 2024-25 full cost of attendance is $35k.

Honestly, just from the way the whole CFB and college athletics world is moving, even if we managed to get back into P4 today, I think it's only a matter of time before we're left behind again. Eventually the FSUs and Clemsons will move to the SEC/Big10, and the gap between them and the ACC/Big12 will grow. It could be argued that rather than rebuilding again in a few years, we might as well secure ourselves a solid space at the level that we'll most likely end up at anyway.
It's also likely to cost us money to get back into the P4, and we may or may not make that money back before we are relegated again.

Honestly, just from the way the whole CFB and college athletics world is moving, even if we managed to get back into P4 today, I think it's only a matter of time before we're left behind again. Eventually the FSUs and Clemsons will move to the SEC/Big10, and the gap between them and the ACC/Big12 will grow. It could be argued that rather than rebuilding again in a few years, we might as well secure ourselves a solid space at the level that we'll most likely end up at anyway.
It's also likely to cost us money to get back into the P4, and we may or may not make that money back before we are relegated again.
I think that's a risk you have to take. Stay afloat and remain relevant. It allows you to build more connections with other universities and if or when another split happens you may end up with more OSU-like friends than the UW-type, and have more pieces to at least stay at the party (even if it is in the corner).

Tie yourself down now, you're removing yourself from any consideration later of joining forces with other schools (mid-tier BIG/BXII/ACC castoffs) when the BIG and SEC only keep the top programs.

WSU has gotten surprisingly expensive. Ask me at the end of this school year. 2024-25 full cost of attendance is $35k.

When I attended it was the most expensive in-state tuition between the four P12 PNW universities, but sheesh...that's a bigger number now!

But it harkens back to my point, I think at that price-point there better be either: killer academics, a academic program/campus culture you cannot miss out on, or P4 athletics, if not a combination of those. WSU can't sell themselves the same way without P4, so where will they double down?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT