ADVERTISEMENT

New WR commit from Detroit

Josh Helmholdt

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2001
This one completely caught me off guard, and I apologize for that. I am usually keyed in closely at this high school, but didn't see this one coming. Three-star Detroit (Mich.) Cass Tech WR Brandon Gray announced his commitment to Washington State tonight.

Gray is 6-5 easy and has the suddenness to stay on the outside in college. Still filling out his frame, but plays with good strength and explosiveness already. Watched him go up against top D1 DBs each of the last two seasons and he has more than held his own. Great red zone threat, outstanding pair of hands and he plays at the HS that has produced the most D1 prospects in the Midwest over the last decade, so a great program for Wazzu to get into.

Last edited:
Thanks. In watching his video, he looks as you describe. He still needs to fill out, but he has the frame to do just that. He does have strong hands and high points the ball. He looks like a perfect WR for the Air Raid.

Thanks. In watching his video, he looks as you describe. He still needs to fill out, but he has the frame to do just that. He does have strong hands and high points the ball. He looks like a perfect WR for the Air Raid.
Talk about random! This is really a cool pickup. Those schools on his offer sheet know what they're doing. Three minutes into that video and I'm sold.

This article says he runs a 4.6 and is up to 190 since last fall. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ight-not-miss-beat-wr-brandon-gray/103810738/

check out his soon to be junior teammate at runningback.

Now the 69th best OT in the nation on the same day. Nice!

I should add, the connection here is asst. coach Roy Manning. He's originally from Saginaw, Mich. and spent time as an assistant at other schools recruiting the Detroit area before heading out to Pullman. He's well known and well respected in Detroit and Michigan.

Hard to find a better school for a guy who wants to catch footballs in D1, as well as learn the other skills that go with being a WR. Excited to get a guy from this HS. You never know what might follow...

I think he'll definitely become faster. WSU quarterbacks are going to love this guy in the red zone. Two excellent pick-ups with Gray and Alec Anderson, the o-lineman from Etiwanda. Now bring on the d-tackles!!!

Talk about random! This is really a cool pickup. Those schools on his offer sheet know what they're doing. Three minutes into that video and I'm sold.

This article says he runs a 4.6 and is up to 190 since last fall. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ight-not-miss-beat-wr-brandon-gray/103810738/

check out his soon to be junior teammate at runningback.
Watch Gray in the running back's highlight video. He's not very effective as a blocker, and I'd be concerned about his apparent lack of effort/interest in it. He seems to play at less than full speed on a lot of the runs, and makes a lot of half-hearted, arms-extended blocks. That's something he'll have to work on.
I'd also like to see more of him in traffic. With the size advantage he likely has in high school, the fades to him in the end zone aren't that impressive.

Watch Gray in the running back's highlight video. He's not very effective as a blocker, and I'd be concerned about his apparent lack of effort/interest in it. He seems to play at less than full speed on a lot of the runs, and makes a lot of half-hearted, arms-extended blocks. That's something he'll have to work on.
I'd also like to see more of him in traffic. With the size advantage he likely has in high school, the fades to him in the end zone aren't that impressive.

I didn't see what you saw. I don't know if he turns out to be a player or not, but the coaches see something in them and Leach's track record has been very good in evaluating receivers. I saw him lay several nice blocks when the play was near him. When the play was away, sure, he didn't give much effort.

Don't forget that he is probably 15 and 16 years old in his video. He is not a complete product yet. That he high points the ball consistently is impressive to me. That he uses his height is a good thing. That is like downgrading an offensive lineman because he big, or a RB because he is fast.

Last edited:
I didn't see what you saw. I don't know if he turns out to be a player or not, but the coaches see something in them and Leach's track records has been very good in evaluating receivers. I saw him lay several nice blocks when the play was near him. When the play was away, sure, he didn't give much effort.

Don't forget that he is probably 15 and 16 years old in his video. He is not a complete product yet. That he high points the ball consistently is impressive to me. That he uses his height is a good thing. That is like downgrading an offensive lineman because he big, or a RB because he is fast.
Agree, he seemed to at least get a chip in and ran hard when the play was around him. Seems a little early to get too concerned with some of the details as important as they ultimately are going to be if he signs with us. Definitely a good get.

I didn't see what you saw. I don't know if he turns out to be a player or not, but the coaches see something in them and Leach's track record has been very good in evaluating receivers. I saw him lay several nice blocks when the play was near him. When the play was away, sure, he didn't give much effort.

I agree he positions himself well, has good timing and seems to have good awareness of where the ball is. For his primary skill set - especially as an outside receiver - those are keys. And of course it's true that Leach & Co. wouldn't offer if they were concerned, and they've no doubt seen a lot more video the we have.

From these clips, I see a kid I want to see more of...But not a kid I'm going to get that excited about until I do see more.

At first glance, his size/weight also concern me. Last kid we had who was that tall and light (Halliday) never did put weight on, and was lost to major injury twice. Gray appears to have more muscle than CH ever dreamed of already, but at 6'5", I want more than 175/180 lbs.

I agree he positions himself well, has good timing and seems to have good awareness of where the ball is. For his primary skill set - especially as an outside receiver - those are keys. And of course it's true that Leach & Co. wouldn't offer if they were concerned, and they've no doubt seen a lot more video the we have.

From these clips, I see a kid I want to see more of...But not a kid I'm going to get that excited about until I do see more.

At first glance, his size/weight also concern me. Last kid we had who was that tall and light (Halliday) never did put weight on, and was lost to major injury twice. Gray appears to have more muscle than CH ever dreamed of already, but at 6'5", I want more than 175/180 lbs.
He's at 190 now and has been putting in the work. How long was it after the coaching change that players understood the importance of blocking and that's coached over and over again. IMHO-it's not his potential that's up in the air..it's whether we'll sign him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT