ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Cougs: Minshew could have new partner in Jags' offensive backfield

When I read the article, the following paragraph was easily re-worded from:

Fournette said the former Carolina Panthers quarterback went to the Super Bowl [50] and that he’s “a great guy”. Fournette also explained “there’s no disrespect to Minshew” and that he just wants the team to get in the best position to win.​

to​

The Carolina Panthers said the soon to be former Carolina Panthers running back has had some great moments and that he’s “a great guy”. They also explained “there’s no disrespect to Fournette” and that they just want the team to get in the best position to win.​

I wasn't surprised that Fournette is dumb enough to be advocating for a different QB. He obviously can't understand that harming team chemistry that way was a bad move on his part.

Guys who have been the primary person at various times in their past often have more difficult than ordinary mortals at understanding that, Flat.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed your rephrasing. +1 on that.

Fro, I think you are probably right. So what does that say about a RB who is campaigning for his team to bring him on? I have to wonder if there is anything between Fournette's ears.

Along with all the theories above, JAX have the 3 London games (which might be toast for 2020) and might be interesting in cutting payroll and possibly positioning themselves for tanking (to get Lawrence from nearby Clemson).

If Minshew is great and they don't tank, so much the better.

Every time I watched the Jags this year, I thought Fournette was a good example of someone playing with no effort. No fight for yards. Also has shown some sort of attitude problem every year - 1-game suspensions both of his first 2 seasons, and now this.

They’ve got 12 picks, and should be able to get something in exchange for Fournette. They don’t need a high-dollar, low-effort RB causing dissension in the locker room.

Jags have a lot of needs on both sides of the ball, so having a boatload if picks isn’t a bad thing. If I’m in their front office I’m looking for trade partners who can bundle picks in rounds 2-3 plus either a serviceable RB or a deep threat WR in exchange for Fournette.

Every time I watched the Jags this year, I thought Fournette was a good example of someone playing with no effort. No fight for yards. Also has shown some sort of attitude problem every year - 1-game suspensions both of his first 2 seasons, and now this.

They’ve got 12 picks, and should be able to get something in exchange for Fournette. They don’t need a high-dollar, low-effort RB causing dissension in the locker room.

Jags have a lot of needs on both sides of the ball, so having a boatload if picks isn’t a bad thing. If I’m in their front office I’m looking for trade partners who can bundle picks in rounds 2-3 plus either a serviceable RB or a deep threat WR in exchange for Fournette.

Running backs are expendable in today's NFL. He would do well to keep his yap shut.

Running backs are expendable in today's NFL. He would do well to keep his yap shut.
Mostly.
If I was going to get specific, as Jags GM I think I’d talk to Detroit. I give you Fournette, you give me Bo Scarborough and your 2nd & 3rd rounders this year, plus a 3rd rounder next year. Scarborough is cheap, and seems to have some upside. And Detroit picks so high in the draft that those picks can provide solid insurance.

Reactions: spongeworthy12
Mostly.
If I was going to get specific, as Jags GM I think I’d talk to Detroit. I give you Fournette, you give me Bo Scarborough and your 2nd & 3rd rounders this year, plus a 3rd rounder next year. Scarborough is cheap, and seems to have some upside. And Detroit picks so high in the draft that those picks can provide solid insurance.

That would be a great score for the Jags.

One thing I don't understand is how these big ass running backs from Alabama end up being mediocre of ending up out of the league.

It even took Derek Henry a while. I would think that a big back these days would be the antidote to all of the teams with a lighter D line that are geared toward stopping today's NFL attack.

One thing I don't understand is how these big ass running backs from Alabama end up being mediocre of ending up out of the league.

It even took Derek Henry a while. I would think that a big back these days would be the antidote to all of the teams with a lighter D line that are geared toward stopping today's NFL attack.
Their offensive line in college is better than their pro ones

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

From my experience....

If you wanna shut down a big back you have to make him run sideways. If you let the big back get going up the middle it’ll be a long day. If you force the big back to bounce outside, he essentially becomes a guard playing running back. Those guys just dont have the foot speed to get it done. Your defense rallies to the ball... Big back neutralized.

If you are playing against a big back with really nimble feet.... we will call him Jerome Bettis.... you could be screwed.

Alabama has a bruising OL. They can knock guys down and make huge holes to run through... and also.... even the SEC isnt as fast as the NFL. The big backs Saban has had can bounce outside in college and make plays. The NFL is a track meet.

No question. Alabama's backs have not overall (some exceptions) been anything special by the standards of the pro game. Big, and great power going straight ahead. But their strength has been their O line. If their O line can't consistently open holes, and as Biggs suggests, if the back has to bounce out, that is not their strength. The RB's who have had to be receivers can bounce out; the PAC is full of them; but they are not the power runners up the gut. Two different O games. And completely dependent on the O line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT