ADVERTISEMENT

Now should the ACC invite Benny Beaver & Butch T. Cougar?

A couple will go Big10 and a a handful to Big12. There will be no remaining reason for us to have any interest for that conference. They are going to have to join up with smaller conferences too. Only thing that may be marginally interesting is Cal and Stan will be without a home again. Would be funny to see them have to essentially beg to join us after all the shit they pulled.

The best thing WSU and OSU can do is work to build the best West coast conference of remaining programs and consider merging with a similar east coast pod of teams.

WSU and OSU aren't going to get invited......it sucks, but it's true. What's going to be hilarious is to see if Cal and Stanford stay committed to a conference that no longer matters.
If the ACC gets down to 6 teams after the defections then Cal, Ponies & the Tree bring the ACC to 9 teams on 7/1/24. You & Benny Beaver bring more to the ACC than Cal, ponies & the Tree do. So it must make logical sense for the ACC to invite Benny Beaver & Butch T. Cougar. A mtn west conference with Beavers & Big Cats will never = the tv$/team that an 11 team ACC would.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Last edited:
Reactions: mikalalas

While it wouldn't be good, IT WOULD BE BETTER THEN TRYING TO REBUILD THE PAC INTO A G5 PAC OR JOINING MWC.

If FS, Clemson, North Carolina, Miami, Virginia, Pitt leave the ACC, the ACC would take WSU, OSU, Memphis, Tulane, USF, and would have Stanford, Cal, WSU, OSU, Memphis, Tulane, USF, SMU, NC State, Duke, etc, and would be the ACC 12, a still P4 conference, albeit the weakest of the 4 P4 conferences.

And they would probably get about 33 Mil per team media deal, and none of the conference members would get raided by SEC, BIG 10, BIG 12, etc, as Stanford, Cal, WSU, OSU, Memphis, Tulane, SMU, USF, NC State, Duke, etc, wouldn't be wanted by the other Power Conferences.

And they would still have tie in to ORANGE BOWL, PEACH BOWL, NY6, CFP, etc.

And with Stanford, Cal, WSU, OSU, Tulane, SMU, would all be in the same division or pod and play each other, so that travel wouldn't be that bad.

And even if the travel were bad, bad travel would be a smaller price to pay for 33 million per year, and everything else.

And WSU wouldn't be reduced to a 6 mil to 16 mil per team media deal and wouldn't have to make as many athletic budget lay offs, and wouldnt have to either make big salary cuts to coaching staffs, and wouldn't have to hire Whitworth College HC's and wouldnt have to only pay HC's 850k to 1.5 mil per year, and wouldn't have rehire new HC's every about 3 years, and WSU wouldnt have to settle for the Potato Bowl, etc.

So altho it wouldn't be the most preferred option, choice, it would be better then rebuilding PAC, an or joining MWC, etc.

WSU and OSU aren't going to get invited......it sucks, but it's true. What's going to be hilarious is to see if Cal and Stanford stay committed to a conference that no longer matters.

If ACC loses FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, Pitt, etc.

Then ABSOLUTELY they would add WSU, OSU, Memphis, Tulane, USF, as REPLACEMENTS, because ONLY 2 Choices at that point, either disintegrate into nothingness, and leave Stanford, Cal, Duke, Boston College, Wake Forest BEHIND to scramble into AAC, MWC, MAAC, Sun Belt, C-USA, G5 PAC X, etc.

Or

Add WSU, OSU, Memphis, USF, Tulane as replacements and have: Stanford, Cal, WSU, OSU, NC ST, Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Memphis, USF, Tulane, 33 Mil per team, Orange Bowl, Peach Bowl, NY6, CFP, still being P4.

And if they choose the 2nd option, and add replacements, WHO THE HELL WOULD THEY ADD THAT WOULD BE BETTER THEN WSU, OSU, MEMPHIS, USF, TULANE?

Maybe West Virginia, but doubt West Virginia would leave the Big 12 to go back to a weakened ACC.

Maybe BSU, SDSU, but if they add BSU, SDSU, they likely add WSU, OSU, Memphis, USF, Tulane, BSU, SDSU, and goto 14 to 16 teams instead of 12 to 14 teams.

There would be about a 7% to 13% to 17% that WSU, OSU would still get left behind, but about a 83% chance, likely good, that if ACC didn't fold, and added replacements to goto 12 to 14 to 16 teams, that would add WSU, OSU as replacements.

Overall I think there is about a 67% chance, likelyhood at extreme minimum, that WSU, OSU would join the ACC if FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Miami left the ACC.

That is very logical, reasonable.

Reactions: 12375CAT
The best thing WSU and OSU can do is work to build the best West coast conference of remaining programs and consider merging with a similar east coast pod of teams.

No the best thing WSU, OSU can do is:

1. Be the PAC 2 for the next 1,2 years, do a schedule alliance with the MWC

2. If FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Miami leave ACC(LIKELY), then join ACC, IF ACC invites WSU, OSU(Likely), OR if WSU, OSU ask to join ACC, and if ACC then says yes to WSU, OSU(likely)

3. If WSU, OSU does not go to ACC(unlikely), then WSU, OSU tries to rebuild the PAC

4. If WSU, OSU unable to rebuild PAC,(Unlikely), and if WSU, OSU unable to join ACC(unlikely), then as ultimate last resort WSU, OSU join MWC.

That should be the plan, that should be what WSU, OSU try to do.

A couple will go Big10 and a a handful to Big12. There will be no remaining reason for us to have any interest for that conference. They are going to have to join up with smaller conferences too. Only thing that may be marginally interesting is Cal and Stan will be without a home again. Would be funny to see them have to essentially beg to join us after all the shit they pulled.

ACC will have Duke, NC St, Boston College, Wake Forest, Stanford, Cal, after FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, etc, leave the ACC.

If the ACC then adds WSU, OSU, Memphis, Tulane, USF, BSU, Fresno St:

The ACC would have Stanford, Cal, WSU, OSU, Duke, Boston College, Wake Forest, Memphis, Tulane, USF, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, and add 1 other team to have a ACC-14.

That ACC-14 would have ABOUT 33 MIL PER TEAM, STABILITY, NONE OF THE OTHER POWER CONFERENCES WOULD WANT TO RAID ACC-14, because they wouldn't want any of the teams. They would also have the Orange Bowl, Peach Bowl, NY6, CFP.

A rebuilt PAC wouldn't be able to have anything as good as that, wouldn't have as good of bowls, media deal, etc, as ACC-14.

And the 6 remaining ACC teams would not join a rebuilt PAC, and would instead rebuild ACC into ACC-14 because the ACC brand is better, has more money, more of everything, etc, then the PAC brand.

I'd also love to see the ACC FOLD, and the remaining ACC teams join a rebuilt PAC, but as much as I would like to see that, that isn't going to happen.

All of the other scenarios scream out of the frying pan and into the fire. I have zero faith in Stanford or Cal, and the ACC group of have nots is less inspiring than the upper crust of the MWC.

All of the other scenarios scream out of the frying pan and into the fire. I have zero faith in Stanford or Cal, and the ACC group of have nots is less inspiring than the upper crust of the MWC.

Who exactly are these have nots -- Louisville, VA Tech, BC, Pitt, and GA Tech? On what basis is this group less inspiring than the upper crust of the Mountain West, which I suppose would include SDSU, Boise, and ... well, you tell me. Seriously, I don't get what you're trying to convey. If you mean it's "less inspiring" for fans of a west coast program to travel to those lower-end programs and have them travel to Pullman, especially with the lack of any history or familiarity, I suppose I could see that. Objectively, though, those programs generally have more going on than any G of 5 programs.

None of this is to say I'm a huge fan of the ACC idea. If there was a moderately stable coastal conference with 4 former Pac teams and maybe SDSU if needed, and you add to that 7 or so of the mid- and lower-end ACC programs after the top end (Clemson, FSU, and UNC) bail, that conference undoubtedly would get more media rights money than a Pac/MWC conference and would have a better shot at being considered a "power" conference if conferences like the Big 12 are.

Travel would suck, though, even with some of the games remaining on the same coast, and there would be massive concerns about stability, especially to the extent the conference still had any members with enough juice to have a shot at getting into an upper-level conference in the next round of consolidation.

Who the F is Greg Swaim from Greg Swaim Sports?
How about an article from a reputable source (below)?

This internet clickbait is such shit. Oh if it's on the internet is must be true.

Greg is NOT the ONLY source credible or not, clickbait or not, that is talking about this.

And there is either a couple, few some credible sources, along with a LOT of Greg types that are talking about this, or ALMOST EVERYONE is talking about it, that it's likely as true as the WHERE THERE IS SMOKE THERE IS FIRE ADAGE.

Also Greg Swaime apparently is SEMI EXTREMELY WELL CONNECTED to Miami Hurricanes, and has a semi lot of semi credible inside sources, and has a lot of money, etc.

A comparison would be if Phil Knight said something about PAC 12, Oregon.

Also it is logical, reasonable, rational, makes sense, and rings true, if think about it LOGICALLY, and approach it with a semi open mind.

Just because you don't know who Greg Swaime is doesn't invalidate what he said, says.

Just like just because some fans on the east coast don't know who Phil Knight is, then that wouldn't invalidate Phil Knight saying something, if he said something about PAC 12, Oregon.

Also Truth is Truth, Logic is Logic, Reason is Reason, Facts are facts, etc, no matter who says it, no matter if you have heard of them or not.

Who exactly are these have nots -- Louisville, VA Tech, BC, Pitt, and GA Tech? On what basis is this group less inspiring than the upper crust of the Mountain West, which I suppose would include SDSU, Boise, and ... well, you tell me. Seriously, I don't get what you're trying to convey. If you mean it's "less inspiring" for fans of a west coast program to travel to those lower-end programs and have them travel to Pullman, especially with the lack of any history or familiarity, I suppose I could see that. Objectively, though, those programs generally have more going on than any G of 5 programs.

None of this is to say I'm a huge fan of the ACC idea. If there was a moderately stable coastal conference with 4 former Pac teams and maybe SDSU if needed, and you add to that 7 or so of the mid- and lower-end ACC programs after the top end (Clemson, FSU, and UNC) bail, that conference undoubtedly would get more media rights money than a Pac/MWC conference and would have a better shot at being considered a "power" conference if conferences like the Big 12 are.

Travel would suck, though, even with some of the games remaining on the same coast, and there would be massive concerns about stability, especially to the extent the conference still had any members with enough juice to have a shot at getting into an upper-level conference in the next round of consolidation.
I think the thought is schools with decent brands and markets like Louisville, VaTech,Pitt etc would be picked up by the B12 and the ACC would end up with BC, Wake and Syracuse like schools so the ACC would be only slightly more desirable then a rebuilt PAC

I think the thought is schools with decent brands and markets like Louisville, VaTech,Pitt etc would be picked up by the B12 and the ACC would end up with BC, Wake and Syracuse like schools so the ACC would be only slightly more desirable then a rebuilt PAC

Louisville, and Pitt might get picked up by Big 10, SEC, Big 12, because of being a big enough brand.

Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia Tech, NC ST, Stanford, Cal, Virginia Tech, while decent, ok, semi good brands, etc, are not quite good enough to get picked up, unless maybe to Big 12, which is not that much better then the above ACC teams

Realistically, the only teams that will leave, get taken from ACC are, is FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, Louisville, and maybe Pitt.

That's about it, give or take about + or - 1 team.

The remaining 6,7,8 teams remaining are great, but not great enough to be taken, so the remaining good 6,7,8 teams will add WSU, OSU, Memphis, Tulane, USF, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St.

And will have Stanford, Cal, WSU, OSU, Virginia Tech, NC ST, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Wake Forest, Duke, Memphis, USF, Tulane, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, and will be a GOOD 16, SIXTEEN team league, that will, would be better then PAC + MWC, and that would have better brands, better BOWLS, Better NY6, BETTER CFP, would be a P4 COMPARED to the G5 PAC X, and would get BETTER, MORE 33 MIL PER TEAM MONEY, compared to 6 mil to 12 mil to 18 mil per team for G5 PAC X

And with WSU, OSU, Stanford, Cal, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, Tulane, SMU, Memphis in the same area, division, travel would not be as bad as some think.

It's the best option, assuming Big 12 doesn't invite WSU, OSU

Anybody that doesn't think so is NOT grounded in reality, logic, reason, facts, etc

I think the top-4 or 5 (including WSU and OSU) is better than all of thr ACC have nots you listed. SDSU, Boise, and Fresno are all better than Boston College, GA Tech, and Pitt most years.

But yes, it’s the travel that makes this suggestion a no go.

Reactions: Coug90
I think the top-4 or 5 (including WSU and OSU) is better than all of thr ACC have nots you listed. SDSU, Boise, and Fresno are all better than Boston College, GA Tech, and Pitt most years.

The ACC is a basketball conference. We are not a basketball school. Add the back and forth cross country travel, not to mention the terrible trips our non rev sports would have to make flying commercial. The only P5 move that makes sense is B12. If that doesn’t work out rebuild the pac with regional teams. If the ACC implodes and you can build a conference with a true east coast/west coast divisional setup cherry picking some good teams that could be a possibility.

A Pod or Division of WSU, OSU, Stanford, Cal, BSU SDSU, Fresno St, SMU, is not bad travel wise and well worth ABOUT 33 Mil per year, Orange Bowl, Peach Bowl, CFP, etc.

And your delusional if you think that WSU, OSU, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, as a group is better then the group of WSU, OSU, Stanford, Cal, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, PITT, Boston College, NC ST, Duke, Wake Forest, BSU, Memphis, Tulane, SDSU, USF, Fresno St, etc, TOGETHER as a group.

But you go ahead and settle for WSU, OSU, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, and the POTATO BOWL, and 13 mil per year, G5, over, instead of Orange Bowl, Peach Bowl, CFP, About 33 million per year P4, ACC.

Glad that your not running things, and that Schultz, Chun, OSU President, AD, likely to choose ACC, P4, over your sillyness.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
The ACC is a basketball conference. We are not a basketball school. Add the back and forth cross country travel, not to mention the terrible trips our non rev sports would have to make flying commercial. The only P5 move that makes sense is B12. If that doesn’t work out rebuild the pac with regional teams. If the ACC implodes and you can build a conference with a true east coast/west coast divisional setup cherry picking some good teams that could be a possibility.

WRONG the remaining ACC FOOTBALL PROGRAMS are Better then BSU, SDSU, Fresno St.

That's why almost the whole nation, except the West Coast, watch those football teams over the West Coast football teams.

WRONG the remaining ACC FOOTBALL PROGRAMS are Better then BSU, SDSU, Fresno St.

That's why almost the whole nation, except the West Coast, watch those football teams over the West Coast football teams.
If you put them in a round robin tournament I’ll take those MWC teams. I doubt big difference in viewership either. Not enough to make it worth the travel. These fan bases care more about BBall.

If you put them in a round robin tournament I’ll take those MWC teams. I doubt big difference in viewership either. Not enough to make it worth the travel. These fan bases care more about BBall.

Which would you rather prefer:

WSU, OSU, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, etc, 6 to 12 to 16 mil per team, POTATO BOWL, G5, etc.

Or

WSU, OSU, Stanford, Cal, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Boston College, BSU, Tulane, USF, SDSU, Fresno St, Memphis, Duke, NC ST, Wake Forest, SMU, 14 teams, or 16 teams, or 18 teams, 33, THIRTY THREE MILLION PER TEAM, ORANGEBOWL, PEACH BOWL, NY6, CFP, P4, POWER CONFERENCE, STABILITY, AND WESTERN POD, WESTERN DIVISION OF WSU, OSU, CAL, STANFORD, BSU, SDSU, FRESNO ST, SMU. THAT WONT HAVE TO TRAVEL AS FAR TO PLAY WESTERN POD, WESTERN DIVISION GAMES.

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR POTATO BOWL, 12 MILLION PER TEAM, LESS MONEY, WORSE COACHES FOR WSU, WORSE PLAYERS FOR WSU, G5, ETC, YOU GET LESS.

I'LL TAKE ORANGE BOWL, PEACH BOWL, NY6, CFP, 33 MILL PER TEAM, MORE MONEY, BETTER COACHES, FOR WSU, BETTER PLAYERS FOR WSU, P4, POWER CONFERENCE, ETC, I GET MORE.

Greg is NOT the ONLY source credible or not, clickbait or not, that is talking about this.

And there is either a couple, few some credible sources, along with a LOT of Greg types that are talking about this, or ALMOST EVERYONE is talking about it, that it's likely as true as the WHERE THERE IS SMOKE THERE IS FIRE ADAGE.

Also Greg Swaime apparently is SEMI EXTREMELY WELL CONNECTED to Miami Hurricanes, and has a semi lot of semi credible inside sources, and has a lot of money, etc.

A comparison would be if Phil Knight said something about PAC 12, Oregon.

Also it is logical, reasonable, rational, makes sense, and rings true, if think about it LOGICALLY, and approach it with a semi open mind.

Just because you don't know who Greg Swaime is doesn't invalidate what he said, says.

Just like just because some fans on the east coast don't know who Phil Knight is, then that wouldn't invalidate Phil Knight saying something, if he said something about PAC 12, Oregon.

Also Truth is Truth, Logic is Logic, Reason is Reason, Facts are facts, etc, no matter who says it, no matter if you have heard of them or not.
Gee, spell his name correctly for starters. As much as I get my ass chapped for shit, Mik you are the most. Did you get to AZ? Do you have a car now? Good Gawd - STF up.

Which would you rather prefer:

WSU, OSU, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, etc, 6 to 12 to 16 mil per team, POTATO BOWL, G5, etc.

Or

WSU, OSU, Stanford, Cal, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Boston College, BSU, Tulane, USF, SDSU, Fresno St, Memphis, Duke, NC ST, Wake Forest, SMU, 14 teams, or 16 teams, or 18 teams, 33, THIRTY THREE MILLION PER TEAM, ORANGEBOWL, PEACH BOWL, NY6, CFP, P4, POWER CONFERENCE, STABILITY, AND WESTERN POD, WESTERN DIVISION OF WSU, OSU, CAL, STANFORD, BSU, SDSU, FRESNO ST, SMU. THAT WONT HAVE TO TRAVEL AS FAR TO PLAY WESTERN POD, WESTERN DIVISION GAMES.

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR POTATO BOWL, 12 MILLION PER TEAM, LESS MONEY, WORSE COACHES FOR WSU, WORSE PLAYERS FOR WSU, G5, ETC, YOU GET LESS.

I'LL TAKE ORANGE BOWL, PEACH BOWL, NY6, CFP, 33 MILL PER TEAM, MORE MONEY, BETTER COACHES, FOR WSU, BETTER PLAYERS FOR WSU, P4, POWER CONFERENCE, ETC, I GET MORE.
Well for starters you threw in a bunch of additional schools that you didn’t mention before, so this is now and apples/oranges argument. There’s value being in the P5 with P5 revenue, but what Stanford and Cal did is just stupid. They panicked. And I think they’ll want ti get back to a regional alignment sooner rather than later. That happens with the top tier MWC programs you mentioned. A conference of 16+ teams with a true East/west regional/division setup would make sense. The bulk of your competition in your region with a handful of cross division games and an E/W CG.

I don’t see any schools leaving the ACC any time soon. Everything I’ve read about the potential breakup is not supported by the massive buyouts each school would need to come up with. Also it seems that the contracts they signed are iron clad. So how are they breaking up. I won’t believe it, until I see it.

I don’t see any schools leaving the ACC any time soon. Everything I’ve read about the potential breakup is not supported by the massive buyouts each school would need to come up with. Also it seems that the contracts they signed are iron clad. So how are they breaking up. I won’t believe it, until I see it.
How the P2 court case plays out may have a bearing on what happens to the ACC. If P2 is allowed to take media distributions from 23-24 from the T10, the wandering eye schools in the ACC schools may be a little more hesitant to leave. Not the same bylaws but similar language about giving up future media rights.

The other way top schools get out is if enough schools vote to dissolve the conference. That would take a joint conspiracy between the B12,SEC and BIG (and networks) to pull that off. Seems unlikely and illegal but we all saw what happened to the PAC.

Reactions: Coug90
We aren’t going to join a G5ish patchwork level conference where any travel past the Midwest is required, simple as that.

I suspect within another 2 years, the biggest schools are going to leave their current conference and remake leagues. In my mind, Oregon and USC leave the Big 10 behind. UCLA and UW are on the cusp of being not invited to the biggest super conference. What I am saying is there is a lot more movement to come. Another 20-30 schools are going to get left behind. Unfortunately, many others are going to experience what us Cougs have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT