ADVERTISEMENT

Oh F it - Guitar thread has been fun - How about best rock singers?

This one is really hard because different voices fit with different music, some probably wouldn’t work in other genres.

Freddie Mercury could sing anything, and proved it with the various sounds Queen played (so maybe Brian May deserves another point as the guitarist too). Ann Wilson probably fits there too, and both of them had a few pieces where they were essentially a cappella, with little or no music behind them, just carrying the number with their voice.

While I’m not a fan of her own music, and it’s a stretch to call her rock (not sure what to call most modern music), one I haven’t seen mentioned is Lady Gaga. I’ve seen her do some covers of older tunes - I think she did a commercial with Tony Bennett - and she’s got a fantastic voice. Pretty sure she could sing anything too.
Not a fan of Lady Gaga's music, but her voice is exceptional. Really good Star Spangled Banner. Chrissie Hynde was a really cool rocker chick....especially in concert. Cool in a Tom Petty-Mark Knopfler way. The Breeders were cool as well.

Not a fan of Lady Gaga's music, but her voice is exceptional. Really good Star Spangled Banner. Chrissie Hynde was a really cool rocker chick....especially in concert. Cool in a Tom Petty-Mark Knopfler way. The Breeders were cool as well.

Tom Petty is another one I thought of. Not what you typically think of as a great voice, but it fit his style of music, and he chose his songs really well. Not a guy I'm going to pick for top 5, but he gets consideration for an extended list.

I don't think tom would rank his voice that high. Mick Jagger couldn't care for his own voice. Its pretty funny.

Ok - if we are talking women rock singers now,

Of Course Ann Wilson (Heart)
Martha Davis (the Motels, although they are more pop-ish)
Rindy Ross (Quarterflash)
Chrissy Ampflett ( RIP the Divinyls)
Johnette Napolitano (Concrete Blonde)
And also of course Pat Benatar - saw her in Spokane about a decade ago

Okay, I am going to throw one out there that I think very few (if any) of you have ever heard of- Rhiannon Giddons. She has a voice that is truly amazing, and she is also beautiful and a super talented musician also. See if you can keep your toe from tapping when they do Cornbread and Butter Beans.

Acoustic with her sister

So it isn't really rock, but wanted to share her talents with everyone. Would love to see her live!

Ok - if we are talking women rock singers now,

Of Course Ann Wilson (Heart)
Martha Davis (the Motels, although they are more pop-ish)
Rindy Ross (Quarterflash)
Chrissy Ampflett ( RIP the Divinyls)
Johnette Napolitano (Concrete Blonde)
And also of course Pat Benatar - saw her in Spokane about a decade ago

So, stumbled upon a yt video of the first 48 hours of MTV, and this video was the second one aired if I recall correctly.

My wife says to me "You're so crushing on Pat Benatar right now!" and I just reply "I guess so, she's freaking owing the screen right now. You know how bad ass you have to be to just look into the camera and not look dumb or dorky? Her confidence is terrifying right now!"

Okay, I am going to throw one out there that I think very few (if any) of you have ever heard of- Rhiannon Giddons. She has a voice that is truly amazing, and she is also beautiful and a super talented musician also. See if you can keep your toe from tapping when they do Cornbread and Butter Beans.

Acoustic with her sister

So it isn't really rock, but wanted to share her talents with everyone. Would love to see her live!
Wow, I remeber the name. NPR Tiny Desk

Last edited:
I know we are in the way back machine here but a couple of my recent favorites a little off the radar.

Kenny Wayne Sheppard band - Noah Hunt
Kaleo - Jokull Juliusson

Both Bluesy rock bands but awesome vocalists.

Surprised that anyone here knew her. Such a talent, and easy on the eyes as well! :)

I like St James Infirmary best. It took me back to 1978 in jackson Wyoming. Was rumbling around MT fishing with my college roommate and we ended up there for a day or two. Hard to believe, but we ended up in a bar, and there was a band playing that had a female lead singer. No idea who she or they were, but OMG-she belted out a cover of St James Infirmary that completely blew me away!!! Still recall how great that was.

Surprised that anyone here knew her. Such a talent, and easy on the eyes as well! :)

I like St James Infirmary best. It took me back to 1978 in jackson Wyoming. Was rumbling around MT fishing with my college roommate and we ended up there for a day or two. Hard to believe, but we ended up in a bar, and there was a band playing that had a female lead singer. No idea who she or they were, but OMG-she belted out a cover of St James Infirmary that completely blew me away!!! Still recall how great that was.
You can tell the talent of someone by the heavy weights who want to appear with her. Tom Jones, YoYoMa, Paul Simon, etc. BTW, Tom Jones can still sing his ass off. He's 82 yo and still has a powerful voice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT