ADVERTISEMENT

OK brainiacs, now what?

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2022
We are now in direct competition with the MW to find team 8. Who's it going to be? OSU is the one that wanted 8 teams. How about Portland State?

You all still worshipping Gloria as she "swung for the fences"?

How's that 2025 schedule coming along?

Opine, or just throw out a bunch of one liner insults. I don't give a F. Tersa and the Pac totally F-ed this up. And spent a shit ton of our money along the way. Our pathetic lawsuit will get laughed out of court. The 5 traitors are probably blowing up Gloria's and their attorney's phones begging to come back home. Oh but I'm stupid and idiotic and all is well. Enjoy. I'm going to go hang with someone smarter than many of you. My dog.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Reactions: WindyCityCoug
I'd go after Hawaii. They want in. I suspect they'd finance their way in. You could give them less media dollars.

They are building a new Aloha stadium. Road trips there would be fun. You might even be able to have Sunday night games there (8pm) here, strategically on after SNF. Not sure the projected ratings, but we will be going for those "windows."

Biggest problem with Hawaii is the cost of travel. Can you imagine what our expenses would become with all the men's and women's sports?

I want Wyoming and New Mexico.

I'd go after Hawaii. They want in. I suspect they'd finance their way in. You could give them less media dollars.

They are building a new Aloha stadium. Road trips there would be fun. You might even be able to have Sunday night games there (8pm) here, strategically on after SNF. Not sure the projected ratings, but we will be going for those "windows."

Grab Hawaii for football only , Gonzaga and St Mary’s for basketball and other sports.

Easiest way home.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
We are now in direct competition with the MW to find team 8. Who's it going to be? OSU is the one that wanted 8 teams. How about Portland State?

Opine, or just throw out a bunch of one liner insults. I don't give a F. Tersa and the Pac totally F-ed this up. And spent a shit ton of our money along the way. Our pathetic lawsuit will get laughed out of court. The 5 traitors are probably blowing up Gloria's and their attorney's phones begging to come back home. Oh but I'm stupid and idiotic and all is well. Enjoy. I'm going to go hang with someone smarter than many of you. My dog.
Loyal back in the 90's there was a mortgage correspondent that only offerer adjustable rate mortgages.

At a time in the late 90's rates were inverted, meaning fixed rates were lower than adjustable rate mortgage. How easy and successful do you believe the company was in selling those adjustable rate mortgages?

That is what the Pac 2 is attempting to do. You are all wound up because there was not a reverse merger. If there was it puts WSU in the MWC permanently. What is happening now is a five year program in hopes gives WSU flexibility to merge and possibly bring some Pac 12 teams back to the region like UCLA , Stanford and Cal.

What is happening now it gives the conference flexibility and doesn't pigeon hole us into a position.

The 8th team... it won't matter . They could pick up Eastside Catholic High School and they would make it work.

And clearly you have never organized an AAU team or any other organization that deals with multiple interests and personality.

The money they will spend in early departure fees will be worth it as they will have control over the conference and not the MWC

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Loyal back in the 90's there was a mortgage correspondent that only offerer adjustable rate mortgages.

At a time in the late 90's rates were inverted, meaning fixed rates were lower than adjustable rate mortgage. How easy and successful do you believe the company was in selling those adjustable rate mortgages?

That is what the Pac 2 is attempting to do. You are all wound up because there was not a reverse merger. If there was it puts WSU in the MWC permanently. What is happening now is a five year program in hopes gives WSU flexibility to merge and possibly bring some Pac 12 teams back to the region like UCLA , Stanford and Cal.

What is happening now it gives the conference flexibility and doesn't pigeon hole us into a position.

The 8th team... it won't matter . They could pick up Eastside Catholic High School and they would make it work.

And clearly you have never organized an AAU team or any other organization that deals with multiple interests and personality.

The money they will spend in early departure fees will be worth it as they will have control over the conference and not the MWC
Yep. The last school doesn't matter as much as there just needs to be an 8th school.

My money is on UTSA at this point. I see people mention Texas State and a kitten dies every time someone does. North Dakota State makes more sense than Texas State and that's not a compliment to NDSU.

Settle down, buddy. I have secret information from a deeply embedded, impeccable source that the PAC has gotten requests to join the conference from Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. This will bring the conference right up to the proper number of 12 and will cement our position as a Power 4 Conference. Brilliant maneuvering by WSU, OSU, and Teresa!!!

HELL NO TO HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO THE BOTTOM DWELLING SHET OF MWC.

And if we did take Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, then we why take those Shet programs now, when can just either join MWC, reverse merge whole entire MWC, and have those SHET programs that way.

Also getting Hawai, Nevada, New Mexico would be too expensive to get for too little shetty value.

Also PAC 8 can easily get either Rice, Texas St, North Texas, Tulsa, Liberty, JMU, Appalachian St, NDSU, which would be a good 8th football program, and which a LOT better then Hawai, Nevada, New Mexico.

My money is on UTSA at this point. I see people mention Texas State and a kitten dies every time someone does. North Dakota State makes more sense than Texas State and that's not a compliment to NDSU.

UTSA said no, along with Memphis, Tulane, USF saying no to PAC 8.

So UTSA is not a option at this point. Maybe in a few years, maybe Memphis, Tulane, USF, UTSA will change their minds.

Settle down, buddy. I have secret information from a deeply embedded, impeccable source that the PAC has gotten requests to join the conference from Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. This will bring the conference right up to the proper number of 12 and will cement our position as a Power 4 Conference. Brilliant maneuvering by WSU, OSU, and Teresa!!!
Wow sounds like you got the same Amazon driver I got!

UNLV is irreplaceable! The sky is falling. They will be getting AAC, ACC, Big-12, Big-10 and SEC invites within days. They are located in a community of 3 million rabid Reb fans, pro stadium, selling out every game, the gem of the west. Oh that's right, no one gives a crap about them even in Vegas, let alone on the east coast. 5 winning season in 45 years, worst TV ratings in the MWC since 2016, attendance so bad you'd think they were located in Washtucna and they have to pay $2 million per year to rent a place to play in front of empty 45,000 seats. Do you know how bad that looks and will look on TV?

Other than seriously denting our potential road trip and vacation plans, which is a bummer no doubt, UNLV is a school and an athletic program that would add nothing to the conference. If your TV ratings are 104th nationally, and you have been a perennial Big West, WAC and MWC bottom feeder through out your history, and you now and will play in a 3/4 empty stadium, you can be replaced by virtually any school, because any value you have is in uninformed people's minds, not support by anything tangible.

UNLV is irreplaceable! The sky is falling. They will be getting AAC, ACC, Big-12, Big-10 and SEC invites within days. They are located in a community of 3 million rabid Reb fans, pro stadium, selling out every game, the gem of the west. Oh that's right, no one gives a crap about them even in Vegas, let alone on the east coast. 5 winning season in 45 years, worst TV ratings in the MWC since 2016, attendance so bad you'd think they were located in Washtucna and they have to pay $2 million per year to rent a place to play in front of empty 45,000 seats. Do you know how bad that looks and will look on TV?

Other than seriously denting our potential road trip and vacation plans, which is a bummer no doubt, UNLV is a school and an athletic program that would add nothing to the conference. If your TV ratings are 104th nationally, and you have been a perennial Big West, WAC and MWC bottom feeder through out your history, and you now and will play in a 3/4 empty stadium, you can be replaced by virtually any school, because any value you have is in uninformed people's minds, not support by anything tangible.
UNLV is competing with an NFL team, an MLB team in three years, and if the rumored NBA expansion goes through, an NBA expansion team (along with Seattle). UNLV will continue to be a ratings afterthought.

We clearly didn't play this right, especially if we knew we were going to challenge the poaching fees. We should have moved more aggressively and gotten to 8 teams in a single move.

Since we didn't, we're not in a great spot. Our best targets in the AAC and MWC have all indicated publicly that they're staying put. For the AAC teams, their exit penalties are so steep that making the change doesn't make a lot of sense economically. It's an easier step for the MWC teams, with lower penalties. That math could change if we can get an extra year to fill out the conference, but I don't expect that's going to be feasible.

Hawaii has not yet signed with the MWC, so they could be a target for us...but I don't think they would be a full member so might not check that box.

UNLV and Air Force are supposedly getting paid $20M to stay. While it's a short term, 1-time benefit, it probably makes sense under the current circumstances. They'd have to pay $18M to get out, and projections right now are that they'd get $12M/year from a media deal, so they would be at a net loss for a year and a half. With the signing bonus in place, leaving the conference now would cost them $38M, so it would take over 3 years for them to start making money...and who knows what else happens in that time.

At this point, I think our best move is to push the lawsuit forward. If we can get a judge to nullify the poaching fees, we've got more money to work with. If we can save $55M in poaching fees, we'll be in a position to go back to some of these teams who turned us down and sweeten the pot. We can tell UNLV that we'll pay them $25M to leave, for example...and make it more financially beneficial for them.

Otherwise, I'm afraid we're at the point of looking even further into the abyss at teams like UTEP - teams that bring nothing to the table other than membership that meets the threshold for a conference. Problem is, those teams may have a net negative impact on media value...and definitely will reduce the amount per school. We could also look at promoting an FCS team, although if we do that I think we should look at ones in bigger markets (Weber State, Sac State) rather than the ones that have been successful like NDSU.

The choices really aren't good in the current circumstances, and the problem is made worse now that we don't know how much money we've got left to work with.

• Love
We clearly didn't play this right, especially if we knew we were going to challenge the poaching fees. We should have moved more aggressively and gotten to 8 teams in a single move.

Since we didn't, we're not in a great spot. Our best targets in the AAC and MWC have all indicated publicly that they're staying put. For the AAC teams, their exit penalties are so steep that making the change doesn't make a lot of sense economically. It's an easier step for the MWC teams, with lower penalties. That math could change if we can get an extra year to fill out the conference, but I don't expect that's going to be feasible.

Hawaii has not yet signed with the MWC, so they could be a target for us...but I don't think they would be a full member so might not check that box.

UNLV and Air Force are supposedly getting paid $20M to stay. While it's a short term, 1-time benefit, it probably makes sense under the current circumstances. They'd have to pay $18M to get out, and projections right now are that they'd get $12M/year from a media deal, so they would be at a net loss for a year and a half. With the signing bonus in place, leaving the conference now would cost them $38M, so it would take over 3 years for them to start making money...and who knows what else happens in that time.

At this point, I think our best move is to push the lawsuit forward. If we can get a judge to nullify the poaching fees, we've got more money to work with. If we can save $55M in poaching fees, we'll be in a position to go back to some of these teams who turned us down and sweeten the pot. We can tell UNLV that we'll pay them $25M to leave, for example...and make it more financially beneficial for them.

Otherwise, I'm afraid we're at the point of looking even further into the abyss at teams like UTEP - teams that bring nothing to the table other than membership that meets the threshold for a conference. Problem is, those teams may have a net negative impact on media value...and definitely will reduce the amount per school. We could also look at promoting an FCS team, although if we do that I think we should look at ones in bigger markets (Weber State, Sac State) rather than the ones that have been successful like NDSU.

The choices really aren't good in the current circumstances, and the problem is made worse now that we don't know how much money we've got left to work with.
Hard no on big sky teams

The cream of the crop in the MWC was BSU, FSU, and SDSU, all three will be moving to the pac 12. Unfortunately, UNLV is not part of it, and the Vegas market would have been nice, but realistically they haven't even been in the top 4 in football in the MWC ever. This year was looking different until their QB bailed, so who knows how they end up. Colorado St and Utah St along with San Diego State, and Boise St made it to the NCAA tournament last year. Everyone needs to quit freaking out, there will be an 8th, and maybe 9th or 10th team. Might not be the first choice, but sometimes the 2nd or 3rd choice ends up being the better option in the long run. All schools except Utah St have football stadiums that are larger than Martin Stadium, and facilities that are very nice as well. The 8th 9th or 10th team don't dictate TV revenue, it's the top 4 or 5 programs that do. Would having UNLV in the fold have helped, probably, but they elected to go a different direction, which most, even the people at UNLV don't understand. Gloria didn't out smart anyone, UNLV simply took the ball and stayed home, of course getting a few extra dollars helped, but I am not sure it's the right move for them in the long run.

I agree. We should have had Tulane, Memphis, So Florida plus UTSA tee'd up through private negotiations and discussions.

It seems like we said "hey let's go get CSU, Fresno, Boise and SDSU and others will line up...." Well, that didn't work out quite right.

That said, the MWC is pretty much dead. UNLV and Air Force as your "flag ship" programs? The MWC needs to merge with the AAC.

UNLV, MWC isn't going to get 11, 12 mil per team per year. The BSU MWC got a projection of about 8,9,10,11 mil per team, per year. Without the top teams, even with Airforce, UNLV, the MWC, is only going to get about 6.5,7, 7.5 mil per team, per year because of the decreased value of losing top 4,5 teams.

The PAC 8 will get about 11 mil to 19 mil per team, per year media deal, depending on how good a job PAC 8 leadership does in negotiating, putting together a media deal.

So UNLV made a bad choice long term.

The PAC 8 can easily get either Rice, Texas St, North Texas, Tulsa, Liberty, JMU, NDSU, so no reason to get, end up with UTEP, etc.

I think it would make us look bad.

But if we did...

Take University of Montana, Sacramento State, and/or Northern Arizona.

It will be a long way down the road, but MSU in Bozeman will keep growing like crazy
I’ve read that Montana & Montana state are a package deal based on state statute.

The cream of the crop in the MWC was BSU, FSU, and SDSU, all three will be moving to the pac 12. Unfortunately, UNLV is not part of it, and the Vegas market would have been nice, but realistically they haven't even been in the top 4 in football in the MWC ever. This year was looking different until their QB bailed, so who knows how they end up. Colorado St and Utah St along with San Diego State, and Boise St made it to the NCAA tournament last year. Everyone needs to quit freaking out, there will be an 8th, and maybe 9th or 10th team. Might not be the first choice, but sometimes the 2nd or 3rd choice ends up being the better option in the long run. All schools except Utah St have football stadiums that are larger than Martin Stadium, and facilities that are very nice as well. The 8th 9th or 10th team don't dictate TV revenue, it's the top 4 or 5 programs that do. Would having UNLV in the fold have helped, probably, but they elected to go a different direction, which most, even the people at UNLV don't understand. Gloria didn't out smart anyone, UNLV simply took the ball and stayed home, of course getting a few extra dollars helped, but I am not sure it's the right move for them in the long run.
Colorado State is the best one in terms of commitment and support. They even come with benefit of mediocre success.

What we will see, I believe in the end, are East/West pods in a Pac ( or Pacc) 16 with an Auto-Birth to the 12 team tournament.

I know, I know when the Folgers starts yapping we will hear how this simply cannot happen.

• Haha
Hawaii is still a football only member of the Mountain West and has not asked/been asked to bring other sports along

Time to go back to Memphis and Tulane with legit offers
Bingo, From the interview yesterday, Memphis' AD has been getting serious heat from ticket holders and alums for not signing up with the Pac-12 already. He said basically sweeten the deal and we are coming. This is a program with the desire to aspire to bigger things. Much better than a program that has been a leech everywhere its gone, who leeched 20 million to stay with the bottom 5 of the MWC, rather than take the opportunity to join the MWC elite to join the Pac. The next MWC media deal is going to be flat dreadful, with every remaining school having just bad viewership numbers since 2016. Air Force (flagship) #81, Wyoming #84, Hawaii #94, Nevada #100, New Mexico #102, San Jose #103 and UNLV #104. I know many here are in love with UNLV, Vegas and the 3 million south Nevada viewing audience. In theory it is a can't miss situation. But in practice, it is and has always been just fools gold. UNLV does not aspire to bigger and better things. Never has, never will, and this just proved it. The Pac just dodged a bullet, at remaining MWC schools expense. MWC just got played by their perennial bottom feeder. They just got Larry Scotted!

Bingo, From the interview yesterday, Memphis' AD has been getting serious heat from ticket holders and alums for not signing up with the Pac-12 already. He said basically sweeten the deal and we are coming. This is a program with the desire to aspire to bigger things. Much better than a program that has been a leech everywhere its gone, who leeched 20 million to stay with the bottom 5 of the MWC, rather than take the opportunity to join the MWC elite to join the Pac. The next MWC media deal is going to be flat dreadful, with every remaining school having just bad viewership numbers since 2016. Air Force (flagship) #81, Wyoming #84, Hawaii #94, Nevada #100, New Mexico #102, San Jose #103 and UNLV #104. I know many here are in love with UNLV, Vegas and the 3 million south Nevada viewing audience. In theory it is a can't miss situation. But in practice, it is and has always been just fools gold. UNLV does not aspire to bigger and better things. Never has, never will, and this just proved it. The Pac just dodged a bullet, at remaining MWC schools expense. MWC just got played by their perennial bottom feeder. They just got Larry Scotted!
As a fan, Memphis and NOLA are 100x better road trips than Vegas.

Beale Street is legit fun not the manufactured neon of Vegas.

The Quarter should be experienced by every American at least once. And then bail over to Frenchman’s Street in NOLA. Mind blowing food town that is, arguably, better than anywhere in the world.

I’ve been to NOLA many a time but never been to Beale St. I’m hearing from people who have been to both places lately and who had been there before, they are not as safe as they used to be.

And agree re the food in NOLA. Until the last time I was there, it was all about the party - now I can’t wait to go back for the food.

I’ve been to NOLA many a time but never been to Beale St. I’m hearing from people who have been to both places lately and who had been there before, they are not as safe as they used to be.

And agree re the food in NOLA. Until the last time I was there, it was all about the party - now I can’t wait to go back for the food.
Seattle and Spokane are not as safe as they used to be - but we can take that to one of Loyals political threads.

The police presence on Beale Street is mind blowing. You won’t ever have problems there.

The food in Memphis is pretty damned good too. The only place I’ve ever been with as good BBQ is Kansas City.

The Civil Rights Museum, Graceland, duck walk at the Peabody and Stack Records, are also must sees. Really enjoyed Memphis much more than I’d anticipated.

Bingo, From the interview yesterday, Memphis' AD has been getting serious heat from ticket holders and alums for not signing up with the Pac-12 already. He said basically sweeten the deal and we are coming.
What we will see, I believe in the end, are East/West pods in a Pac ( or Pacc) 16 with an Auto-Birth to the 12 team tournament.

I know, I know when the Folgers starts yapping we will hear how this simply cannot happen.
Hold on, I am on cup #1 and catching up.

Socal - what interview? The one I saw just said it was a bad deal for Memphis and they said no........?

Uber - that's pretty funny. I resemble your snide remark. I'm worn out by all this, think I'll just watch for a while.

Reactions: UberCougars
As a fan, Memphis and NOLA are 100x better road trips than Vegas.

Beale Street is legit fun not the manufactured neon of Vegas.

The Quarter should be experienced by every American at least once. And then bail over to Frenchman’s Street in NOLA. Mind blowing food town that is, arguably, better than anywhere in the world.
Hey, I recently retired to Oxford Ms., so adding them would be a dream come true for me. But in all seriousness, if WSU and OSU are serious about building a conference that is the elite of the group of 5, we need to get it done. And it can't be done on the cheap as we were trying to do. 10% of a 25 million exit fee, that's insulting. Boise, SDSU, Fresno, Utah State, have busted their arses to put a quality product on the field. They committed to us, as well as CSU, on the cheap. It's time for us to step up and complete the task by using the Pac-12 war chest to fill out that elite G5 conference. 75 million to add Tulane, Memphis and USF, would be money far better spent than OSU and WSU has spent on their infrastructure in recent years. Do we really want to stay relevant? That costs serious money sometime.

In no reality is UNLV an elite non-power 4 school that will get football fans to tune in. 5 winning seasons in 45 years is their legacy.

Seattle and Spokane are not as safe as they used to be - but we can take that to one of Loyals political threads.

The police presence on Beale Street is mind blowing. You won’t ever have problems there.

The food in Memphis is pretty damned good too. The only place I’ve ever been with as good BBQ is Kansas City.

The Civil Rights Museum, Graceland, duck walk at the Peabody and Stack Records, are also must sees. Really enjoyed Memphis much more than I’d anticipated.
I have been to KC once and had the distinct pleasure of stuffing my gut at Arthur Bryant's BBQ, original location. Best I have ever had! Have you hit that place up, or what is your preferred option?

Hey, I recently retired to Oxford Ms., so adding them would be a dream come true for me. But in all seriousness, if WSU and OSU are serious about building a conference that is the elite of the group of 5, we need to get it done. And it can't be done on the cheap as we were trying to do. 10% of a 25 million exit fee, that's insulting. Boise, SDSU, Fresno, Utah State, have busted their arses to put a quality product on the field. They committed to us, as well as CSU, on the cheap. It's time for us to step up and complete the task by using the Pac-12 war chest to fill out that elite G5 conference. 75 million to add Tulane, Memphis and USF, would be money far better spent than OSU and WSU has spent on their infrastructure in recent years. Do we really want to stay relevant? That costs serious money sometime.

In no reality is UNLV an elite non-power 4 school that will get football fans to tune in. 5 winning seasons in 45 years is their legacy.
If UNLV ends up staying with the Mtn West, it could be a silver lining. We could continue to hold our championships in Sin City, making it a neutral site game for both teams, and getting both fan bases to travel to what many consider a desirable destination. Keeping that option and adding schools that are arguably better then UNLV can end up being a win-win situation.

EDIT: BTW, why did you pick Oxford MS to retire to? Cost of living, family, witness protection program? :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT