ADVERTISEMENT

OK guys, it is realignment crunch time

Announcing 4 instead of 6 cost the Pac 12 a boatload of money.

Vegas will now go to the highest bidder between the Pac-12 and MWC.

And don’t underestimate ESPN funding the AAC to throw a bid at UNLV as a middle finger to the Pac 12.

Wouldn’t shock me to hear that Gonzaga leaked all this to ESPN - they are “America’s Team” and a staple to ESPN inventory for basketball.

Do you know that we had six teams committed to the Pac-12 that we really wanted? Did we need to play the "Six Pac" hand to have any shot at all at getting the top AAC teams? FWIW, I'm not mad that we didn't get Tulane, Memphis, UTSA and USF to come over. There are a lot of moving parts behind the scenes that none of us know about and we can't really say anything without just blindly guessing like the worst of the pundits out there.

I don't buy into the notion that ESPN is funding the AAC out of some vendetta against WSU and OSU. That doesn't pass the smell test to me.

It stinks that we are dealing with some drama right now, but I'm just sitting back and waiting to see what happens, because trying to second things that I have no clue about is a waste of time.

Reactions: triscuit one
Gonzaga deserves a full share they bring in more in basketball than we do in football
Will Gonzaga basketball be relevant in twenty years when Mark Few is retired or gone?

Honestly, I think they won't be.

It's all about Mark Few, and when he's gone, Gonzaga is a little private Catholic university from Spokane, WA with a law school. That's it.

Will Gonzaga basketball be relevant in twenty years when Mark Few is retired or gone?

Honestly, I think they won't be.

It's all about Mark Few, and when he's gone, Gonzaga is a little private Catholic university from Spokane, WA with a law school. That's it.
Ok, had my coffee, no new news (yet) on this debacle. So after consulting with insiders and a couple of deities, here's how it went down:
Teresa, who Friday said she was "swinging for the fences", thought she had Memphis, Tulane and who knows who in the AAC in the bag - apparently with a lame $2.5M offer to help with their $20M+ exit fees. Makes me wonder what we offered to the MW traitors in terms of exit fee help. Probably not much. She promised them that we had those schools lined up to form this "super G5" conference. She got played, as did the traitors by believing her.

Teresa F-ed up by not offering UNLV from the get-go. The Pac now holds no cards. UNLV has all the cards. The traitors must be screaming at her voicemail.

If UNLV bolts, we have an "OK" league of 8 teams. At a huge cost.

This Gonzaga talk is BS. We would give them a full share of mostly FB money in exchange for a share of their NCAA BB credits? All this revenue that Gonzaga brings beyond that goes to - Gonzaga. We won't share in their OOC game revenues or home game $ or anything else. NCAA credits are < FB revenues. Absolute stupidity.

Her single-minded desire to keep her job has screwed the pooch.

We should have just pushed the reverse merger from the beginning. Bringing in all of the MW would have been way better than the shitpile we have now.

Even if UNLV bolts, the Pac-2 Presidents need to go back to Gloria, call timeout, and go back to the MW and beg for the full merger. Even if that means we join the MW and lose our future $30M in BB credits. Helluva lot cheaper than what we are looking at now. And whichever way it goes, Gloria become Commissioner and Teresa gets a desk in the corner somewhere.

For 2025, WSU needs to go out and get (not my term) body bag games, starting with Ole Miss to bring in some extra money.

Last edited:
Ok, had my coffee, no new news (yet) on this debacle. So after consulting with insiders and a couple of deities, here's how it went down:
Teresa, who Friday said she was "swinging for the fences", thought she had Memphis, Tulane and who knows who in the AAC in the bag - apparently with a lame $2.5M offer to help with their $20M+ exit fees. Makes me wonder what we offered to the MW traitors in terms of exit fee help. Probably not much. She promised them that we had those schools lined up to form this "super G5" conference. She got played, as did the traitors by believing her.

Teresa F-ed up by not offering UNLV from the get-go. The Pac now holds no cards. UNLV has all the cards. The traitors must be screaming at her voicemail.

This Gonzaga talk is BS. We would give them a full share of mostly FB money in exchange for a share of their NCAA BB credits? All this revenue that Gonzaga brings beyond that goes to - Gonzaga. We won't share in their OOC game revenues or home game $ or anything else. NCAA credits are < FB revenues. Absolute stupidity.

We should have just pushed the reverse merger from the beginning. Bringing in all of the MW would have been way better than the shitpile we have now.

Even if UNLV bolts, the Pac-2 Presidents need to go back to Gloria, call timeout, and go back to the MW and beg for the full merger. Even if that means we join the MW and lose our future $30M in BB credits. Helluva lot cheaper than what we are looking at now. And whichever way it goes, Gloria become Commissioner and Teresa gets a desk in the corner somewhere.

For 2025, WSU needs to go out and get (not my term) body bag games, starting with Ole Miss to bring in some extra money.
You really think Gould is acting somehow acting on her own? I'd bet your last shot of vodka that she has consent from WSU and OSU.

Reactions: mikalalas

But if the MWC folds, don't all those exit fees/penalties go away?

Reactions: mikalalas

HELL NO. Getting 1 more for PAC 8 is easy. And it's going to cost PAC 8, 135 to 150 mil. That leaves 100 mil left over. And the new PAC media deal which would be between 12 mil to 19 mil per team per year, and the 5,5,7,8 mil from CFP, in 2028, and the better bowl money, and NCAA tourny units from BSU, UNLV, Utah St, CSU, WSU, OSU, SDSU, in a small handful, few years would replenish the PAC war chest back to pretty close to 250+ mil. And that's worst case scenario.

Also the article that rebel meister shared, that very credible, said that, if UNLV joins PAC 8, extremely probable, that Airforce would then goto AAC, leaving behind 4 main members, a Hawai, and that PAC could then offer invite to SJSU, and Wyoming could goto C-USA, or Sun Belt, and if, when that happens, then only Hawai, Nevada, New Mexico would be left, and the 9 that left MWC would then vote to dissolve the MWC, eliminating all fees, making the cost zero to the PAC 8, AAC, Sun Belt, C-USA to take the top 9 MWC.

And even if UNLV says no, Texas St, North Texas, is a viable option that would say yes to PAC 8.

And BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, Utah St, CSU, Texas St, or UNLV, or North Texas, WSU, OSU, would still be a awesome conference, with a good media deal, good CFP money in 2028, good bowl money, good future NCAA tourny units, etc, that would still replenish PAC 8 war chest back to 250+ mil in a few years.

The PAC 8 reverse merging whole entire MWC including BOTTOM DWELLERS HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, ETC, WOULD BE A HELL OF A LOT WORSE THEN THE PAC 8. AND JOINING THE MWC WOULD BE A HELL OF A LOT WORSE THEN REVERSE MERGING WHOLE ENTIRE MWC AND THE BOTTOM DWELLERS AND A HELL LOT WORSE THEN THE PAC 8.

HELL NO.

Fortunately the PAC 7, and the PAC 7 leaders are not going to listen to your idiocy, stupidity.

HELL NO. Getting 1 more for PAC 8 is easy. And it's going to cost PAC 8, 135 to 150 mil. That leaves 100 mil left over. And the new PAC media deal which would be between 12 mil to 19 mil per team per year, and the 5,5,7,8 mil from CFP, in 2028, and the better bowl money, and NCAA tourny units from BSU, UNLV, Utah St, CSU, WSU, OSU, SDSU, in a small handful, few years would replenish the PAC war chest back to pretty close to 250+ mil. And that's worst case scenario.

Also the article that rebel meister shared, that very credible, said that, if UNLV joins PAC 8, extremely probable, that Airforce would then goto AAC, leaving behind 4 main members, a Hawai, and that PAC could then offer invite to SJSU, and Wyoming could goto C-USA, or Sun Belt, and if, when that happens, then only Hawai, Nevada, New Mexico would be left, and the 9 that left MWC would then vote to dissolve the MWC, eliminating all fees, making the cost zero to the PAC 8, AAC, Sun Belt, C-USA to take the top 9 MWC.

And even if UNLV says no, Texas St, North Texas, is a viable option that would say yes to PAC 8.

And BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, Utah St, CSU, Texas St, or UNLV, or North Texas, WSU, OSU, would still be a awesome conference, with a good media deal, good CFP money in 2028, good bowl money, good future NCAA tourny units, etc, that would still replenish PAC 8 war chest back to 250+ mil in a few years.

The PAC 8 reverse merging whole entire MWC including BOTTOM DWELLERS HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, ETC, WOULD BE A HELL OF A LOT WORSE THEN THE PAC 8. AND JOINING THE MWC WOULD BE A HELL OF A LOT WORSE THEN REVERSE MERGING WHOLE ENTIRE MWC AND THE BOTTOM DWELLERS AND A HELL LOT WORSE THEN THE PAC 8.

HELL NO.

Fortunately the PAC 7, and the PAC 7 leaders are not going to listen to your idiocy, stupidity.
Idiocy and stupidity Mik? Read your own post if you want to see idiotic and stupid. $100 million left over? How's that math work when $50-60M is already going to backfil OSU's and WSU's budget this year?

And no we won't get $12-19M in media rights. No one, credible or not, is throwing out numbers anywhere close to that.

And no, the MW traitors no longer have a vote in the MW, just like FUSC/FUCLA didn't either, or the other Traitorous 8 after they announced. So it won't disband.

And just how are we going to replenish our $250M warchest "in a few years" that only exists because the traitors paid us $65M, and the Rose Bowl is paying us $50M/year for these last two years?

Do yourself (and this board) a favor and just shut up for a while as this catastrophe plays out.

• Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think people are over-reacting as per usual. Lets wait for the dust to settle a little bit because if UNLV hasn't signed with the MWC, its most likely finalizing a deal with the PAC12 that will be announced later. Once UNLV signs, the MWC will crumble and a lot of this angst will dissipate.

• Haha
I think people are over-reacting as per usual. Lets wait for the dust to settle a little bit because if UNLV hasn't signed with the MWC, its most likely finalizing a deal with the PAC12 that will be announced later. Once UNLV signs, the MWC will crumble and a lot of this angst will dissipate.
Ultimately, UNLV will go with the Pac 12. But the optics are really bad for WSU and OSU. Comes off looking no better than the Big 10/UW/UO for causing the demise of a conference.

The newbies like BSU and SDSU need to be a little more vocal in why the MWC was so bad and why they chose to leave. Letting WSU and OSU get branded as the bad guys is poor PR

But then again, it’s the Pac 12 and they’ve never been good at selling the story.

You act like we are in a bargaining position. We have been dumped and we are trying to stay a float.

I am not worried about the initial "look" of the Pac 12/8. This is the first rendition .

Idiocy and stupidity Mik? Read your own post if you want to see idiotic and stupid. $100 million left over? How's that math work when $50-60M is already going to backfil OSU's and WSU's budget this year?

And no we won't get $12-19M in media rights. No one, credible or not, is throwing out numbers anywhere close to that.

And no, the MW traitors no longer have a vote in the MW, just like FUSC/FUCLA didn't either, or the other Traitorous 8 after they announced. So it won't disband.

And just how are we going to replenish our $250M warchest "in a few years" that only exists because the traitors paid us $65M, and the Rose Bowl is paying us $50M/year for these last two years?

Do yourself (and this board) a favor and just shut up for a while as this catastrophe plays out.
Woah, Turbo. What leads you to believe anyone wants to experience your hyperventilation and paranoia?

Mik has every right to share his opinions here.

Who made you the recess duty anyway?

Someone posted this at our forum. Just sharing....

That "Creating a conference that already existed", is BS. BSU PAC 8 is better then the BSU MWC, because it does not have HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, WYOMING, BOTTOM DWELLERS, THAT HOLD CONFERENCE BACK.

WSU, OSU, BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV or Rice, or Texas St, or North Texas, Utah St, CSU, is way better then BSU MWC with SHET HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, and BSU PAC 8 get about 12 mil to 19 mil per team per year, compared to the projected 8,9,10,11 mil per team per year media deal, the BSU MWC was supposed to get.

Also BSU MWC gets 1.8 mil per year from CFP. The PAC 2 gets 3.3 mil per year from CFP, and BSU PAC 8, will get about 5,6,7,8 mil per year from CFP, in 2028, which way better then BSU MWC's 1.8 mil per year from CFP.

And then there's how BSU PAC 8 champ, will get CFP spot, 99 times out of 100, over even BSU MWC, MWC, AAC, Sun Belt, C-USA champs, as long as at least 9-3, 10-2.

And BSU MWC with SHET HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, could have easily had AAC champ, Sun Belt Champ, C-USA champ that 11-1, goto CFP over BSU MWC 11-1 champ

And the BSU PAC 8 bowls, bowl money better then BSU MWC Idaho Potato Head Bowl, LA BOWL.

Anyway that slice it, BSU PAC 8, is way better then BSU MWC with SHET HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO.

That "Creating a conference that already existed", is BS. BSU PAC 8 is better then the BSU MWC, because it does not have HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, WYOMING, BOTTOM DWELLERS, THAT HOLD CONFERENCE BACK.

WSU, OSU, BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV or Rice, or Texas St, or North Texas, Utah St, CSU, is way better then BSU MWC with SHET HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, and BSU PAC 8 get about 12 mil to 19 mil per team per year, compared to the projected 8,9,10,11 mil per team per year media deal, the BSU MWC was supposed to get.

Also BSU MWC gets 1.8 mil per year from CFP. The PAC 2 gets 3.3 mil per year from CFP, and BSU PAC 8, will get about 5,6,7,8 mil per year from CFP, in 2028, which way better then BSU MWC's 1.8 mil per year from CFP.

And then there's how BSU PAC 8 champ, will get CFP spot, 99 times out of 100, over even BSU MWC, MWC, AAC, Sun Belt, C-USA champs, as long as at least 9-3, 10-2.

And BSU MWC with SHET HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, could have easily had AAC champ, Sun Belt Champ, C-USA champ that 11-1, goto CFP over BSU MWC 11-1 champ

And the BSU PAC 8 bowls, bowl money better then BSU MWC Idaho Potato Head Bowl, LA BOWL.

Anyway that slice it, BSU PAC 8, is way better then BSU MWC with SHET HAWAI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO.
Funny how you replace Memphis, Tulane, USF and UTSA with (Sun Belt) Texas St., and middle of the AAC road Rice and N. Texas and still throw out your $12-19M TV figure. And please share the source for your "projected" 5-8M 2028 CFP allocation, and how that (in 4 years, damn near next week) would compare to the existing MWC's allocation? You seem to be saying that they would still be getting $1.8M.

Woah, Turbo. What leads you to believe anyone wants to experience your hyperventilation and paranoia?

Mik has every right to share his opinions here.

Who made you the recess duty anyway?
Hey he called me stupid and idiotic. Gloves are off.

You act like we are in a bargaining position. We have been dumped and we are trying to stay a float.

I am not worried about the initial "look" of the Pac 12/8. This is the first rendition .
No I don't. Where the F do you come up with that from my post? What part of my "go back to the MW and beg" comment smacks of a bargaining position?

UNLV and AF looking to stay in the MWC. $25-30 million dollar signing bonus. Sold ourselves for some pieces of silver. It was nice knowing you guys.

Great decision by the P12. No way were they worth $25M to join. We already poached their best programs. Add Texas St. and be done for this wave.
Texas State from the Sun Belt? Oh yeah, let's do that. And WTF are you referring to - "great decision by the P12"? What decision?

Not sad about UNLV staying in the MW. And as it's been mentioned on this board, not much of a fan base there in LV.

I don't know much about Texas State... other than it is between San Antonio and Austin-- Could be nice for away games.

UNLV and AF looking to stay in the MWC. $25-30 million dollar signing bonus. Sold ourselves for some pieces of silver. It was nice knowing you guys.

This could backfire on MWC, if MWC loses the lawsuit, doesn't get poaching penalties.

And even if they do get poaching penalties, and do get 25-30 mil, that money will be gone, spent quickly, and then only get about 6.5 mil per team per year for new media deal for weakened MWC.

And they would miss out on about 11 mil to 18 mil per team per year from PAC 8, and miss out on 5,6,7 mil per year divided 8 ways from CFP, in 2028, and miss out on better bowls, better bowl money, and won't goto CFP as MWC champ.

Over the long term, they would probably get about 50 mil to 75 mil to 100 mil to 125 mil over the LONG TERM from PAC 8, compared to the 25-30 mil + 6.5 mil MWC media money for about 43-50-63 mil over the long term from MWC.

Worse money, Worse bowls, Worse CFP, etc, over the long term by staying in MWC, for VERY SHORT TERM pay off.

Oh Well, PAC 8, will just get Rice, or Texas St, or North Texas, or Liberty, which are very almost very just as good as UNLV, Airforce, and probably cost less, then UNLV or Airforce.

The Joint UNLV, Nevada board of Regents are probably behind, the reason for the UNLV stupidity.

Sorry Rebel Meister, would have been nice to have UNLV, you as fans in PAC 8

Take it out on your stupid Board of Regents.

It’s not over. If we win the lawsuit, everything opens up again.

Texas state isn’t a good alternative. It’s a last resort.

Reactions: kougkurt
Texas State, here we come...

Pac-12 expansion: UNLV, Air Force to remain in Mountain West with financial incentives​

RALPH RUSSO
Sep. 25, 2024 at 9:53 pm Updated Sep. 25, 2024 at 10:25 pm
By
The Associated Press
UNLV and Air Force have decided to remain in the Mountain West as the conference thwarted off attempts at further poaching by the Pac-12 and American Athletic Conference by offering financial incentives to its most prominent remaining members to stay, a person with knowledge of the decisions told The Associated Press on Wednesday night.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the schools had not made their intentions public. The Mountain West declined to comment on its internal discussions.

The Action Network first reported UNLV and Air Force had decided to stay in the Mountain West.

The Mountain West has already lost five members to the rebuilding Pac-12 over the last two weeks, including Utah State earlier this week.

Utah State’s departure came as Commissioner Gloria Nevarez was trying to convince her remaining members to agree to a multiple-year grant of rights that would bind schools together and to the conference through media rights.

That gave the other seven schools a chance to reconsider, but ultimately it appears Nevarez will be able to keep the Mountain West alive with the help of about $100 million dollars in exit fees expected to come the conference’s way from the departing schools.

The Pac-12 is suing the Mountain West over another $55 million in poaching penalties that were part of a football scheduling agreement Oregon State and Washington State entered into with the conference for this season.

The person said UNLV and Air Force have been offered signing bonuses of more than $20 million to stay put, and that was more than other conferences were willing to spend to lure them away.

UNLV had been targeted by the Pac-12 to become its eighth member. Mountain West schools Boise State, San Diego State, Colorado State and Fresno State agreed two weeks ago to join Oregon State and Washington State in the relaunched Pac-12 in 2026.

Air Force was being courted by the AAC to join fellow service academies Army and Navy in a conference for the first time.

The other remaining Mountain West schools are San Jose State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Nevada and Hawaii, which is a football-only member. That leaves the Mountain West, like the Pac-12, still in need of at least one more member to be a recognized conference by the NCAA and College Football Playoff.

Phase two of the Pac-12’s expansion has not gone as smoothly as the first. The conference had targeted AAC schools in the Central time zone, including Memphis and Tulane, in an attempt to extend the league’s footprint and gather the top remaining non-Power Four football programs under one roof.

The Pac-12 also has had discussions with basketball powerhouse Gonzaga of the West Coast Conference, but that would still leave the league one football school short of the minimum.

Texas State of the Sun Belt could be next up for the Pac-12.

The Mountain West could find another member in Northern California, with Sacramento State leaders considering a move up from the Big Sky to Division I football’s top tier.

RALPH RUSSO

Sounds like the perfect job for someone that retired early and spends the morning drinking Folgers.
What client do you bill when you are on this board flipping me shit? And what gay latte do you prefer? Hit the topless barista shop on your way to work?

Texas State, here we come...

Pac-12 expansion: UNLV, Air Force to remain in Mountain West with financial incentives​

RALPH RUSSO
Sep. 25, 2024 at 9:53 pm Updated Sep. 25, 2024 at 10:25 pm
By
The Associated Press
UNLV and Air Force have decided to remain in the Mountain West as the conference thwarted off attempts at further poaching by the Pac-12 and American Athletic Conference by offering financial incentives to its most prominent remaining members to stay, a person with knowledge of the decisions told The Associated Press on Wednesday night.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the schools had not made their intentions public. The Mountain West declined to comment on its internal discussions.

The Action Network first reported UNLV and Air Force had decided to stay in the Mountain West.

The Mountain West has already lost five members to the rebuilding Pac-12 over the last two weeks, including Utah State earlier this week.

Utah State’s departure came as Commissioner Gloria Nevarez was trying to convince her remaining members to agree to a multiple-year grant of rights that would bind schools together and to the conference through media rights.

That gave the other seven schools a chance to reconsider, but ultimately it appears Nevarez will be able to keep the Mountain West alive with the help of about $100 million dollars in exit fees expected to come the conference’s way from the departing schools.

The Pac-12 is suing the Mountain West over another $55 million in poaching penalties that were part of a football scheduling agreement Oregon State and Washington State entered into with the conference for this season.

The person said UNLV and Air Force have been offered signing bonuses of more than $20 million to stay put, and that was more than other conferences were willing to spend to lure them away.

UNLV had been targeted by the Pac-12 to become its eighth member. Mountain West schools Boise State, San Diego State, Colorado State and Fresno State agreed two weeks ago to join Oregon State and Washington State in the relaunched Pac-12 in 2026.

Air Force was being courted by the AAC to join fellow service academies Army and Navy in a conference for the first time.

The other remaining Mountain West schools are San Jose State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Nevada and Hawaii, which is a football-only member. That leaves the Mountain West, like the Pac-12, still in need of at least one more member to be a recognized conference by the NCAA and College Football Playoff.

Phase two of the Pac-12’s expansion has not gone as smoothly as the first. The conference had targeted AAC schools in the Central time zone, including Memphis and Tulane, in an attempt to extend the league’s footprint and gather the top remaining non-Power Four football programs under one roof.

The Pac-12 also has had discussions with basketball powerhouse Gonzaga of the West Coast Conference, but that would still leave the league one football school short of the minimum.

Texas State of the Sun Belt could be next up for the Pac-12.

The Mountain West could find another member in Northern California, with Sacramento State leaders considering a move up from the Big Sky to Division I football’s top tier.

RALPH RUSSO

Rice, North Texas, Tulsa, Liberty, JMU, Appalachian St, NDSU are also possibities, probabilities in addition to Texas St.

PAC 8, will be able to get a good 8th member easy enough.

Oh. Then you don't know how delightful Folgers is.

How about we just stop this. You quit with your stupid insults, and I'll lighten up on bashing Teresa, etc. Life's too short for this crap.

Since you can't get past step 1: don't freak out, I propose inviting Nevada. It'd be funny then hell and sink the MWC.

However, a better proposal would be don't freak out. The dust is nowhere near settling.

Reactions: UberCougars
Since you can't get past step 1: don't freak out, I propose inviting Nevada. It'd be funny then hell and sink the MWC.

However, a better proposal would be don't freak out. The dust is nowhere near settling.
I'd be OK with Navada at this point, but all signs point to the remaining MW members begin locked in with whatever they signed. I dunno, maybe not.

Oh. Then you don't know how delightful Folgers is.

How about we just stop this. You quit with your stupid insults, and I'll lighten up on bashing Teresa, etc. Life's too short for this crap.

I have a suggestion.

Put down the Coors Light, pick up the KY jelly.

Turn off Wazzuwatch. Turn on Pornhub.

Get back to this discussion in a week. You seem little pent up and this issue isn’t going anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT