ADVERTISEMENT

Ok old timers (especially the ones that are also NFL fans)

Who would've most embarassed Uncle Rico?

• Bert Jones

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jeff George

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • JaMarcus Russell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brett Favre

• John Elway

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Dieter Brock

• Jim Hart

• Roman Gabriel

• Greg Cook

• Sonny Jurgensen

• Total voters

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
I'm just going to keep tossing out filler threads until fall camp, because they're more fun than the poster feuds, and this one is probably best answered by you guys:

Strongest arm you ever saw on a quarterback? I did a little research to compile options for a poll and tried to come up with a few from each NFL era (I know not always comparable, blah blah, but we're spitballin' here), and also note that this is just big arms, regardless of how good they actually were at playing the position. This also isn't a 'who threw the prettiest deep ball' question (to me that's Warren Moon). I know there isn't anybody current on the list but I'm not sure who I would include. Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler, Mahomes, and Josh Allen get the most mentions among the youngsters but I don't really watch the NFL anymore so I'm not sure where they'd fall. Feel free to choose one, or, give me somebody else in the comments because the options maxed out at 10 names and I probably could've put 20 up there.

Elway had a cannon.
Clint Longley aka The Mad Bomber could easily throw it over those mountains.

Elway had a cannon.
Clint Longley aka The Mad Bomber could easily throw it over those mountains.
The most obscure guys with the best mythology I found were Greg Cook (supposedly had a rocket in Cincy but got hurt and became a reason Bill Walsh invented the West Coast offense), Dieter Brock (legendary arm but spent most of his career in Canada), James 'Shack' Harris (bigger arm than Jack Kemp but more erratic), and Michael Bishop (outgunned Bledsoe in NE by quite a bit). Others I considered or wanted to add were Pastorini, Namath, Bartkowski, Van Brocklin, Baugh, Bobby Douglass, Cutler, Jay Schroeder, Doug Williams, Vick, Randall Cunningham, Testaverde, Marino, Rodgers, Boller, and Flacco. The Seahawks don't really have a history with big arms. Dan McGwire's was the only name I really saw tossed around at all. The other team that didn't seem to have any huge arms in it was Dallas. That's not to say that Troy Aikman had no velocity. He's just not legendary for it.

The most obscure guys with the best mythology I found were Greg Cook (supposedly had a rocket in Cincy but got hurt and became a reason Bill Walsh invented the West Coast offense), Dieter Brock (legendary arm but spent most of his career in Canada), James 'Shack' Harris (bigger arm than Jack Kemp but more erratic), and Michael Bishop (outgunned Bledsoe in NE by quite a bit). Others I considered or wanted to add were Pastorini, Namath, Bartkowski, Van Brocklin, Baugh, Bobby Douglass, Cutler, Jay Schroeder, Doug Williams, Vick, Randall Cunningham, Testaverde, Marino, Rodgers, Boller, and Flacco. The Seahawks don't really have a history with big arms. Dan McGwire's was the only name I really saw tossed around at all. The other team that didn't seem to have any huge arms in it was Dallas. That's not to say that Troy Aikman had no velocity. He's just not legendary for it.

I was back east when Greg Cook played for Cinci and couldnt beat out Virgil Carter. Even being young I don't remember Cook having a strong arm.

Terry Bradshaw when right could throw the fly pattern and drop it down the chute as well as anyone, and it was a perfect spiral. A guy who competed with Bradshaw was as physically gifted as anyone to play, Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam. He had a great arm.

Wow, Bobby Douglass? Haven't heard that name since the early 70's, and he couldn't hit the water from a row boat.

Most electrifying QB I ever saw in person was Elway. watched him scramble for 40 yeards from sideline to sideline then uncork a ball running to the right and throwing it to a wide open Ken Margerum running down the left sideline. Ball traveled 55 yards in the air.

Depends on your measure of strength. Elway could throw it a mile. Some said Jamarcus Russel could throw it a mile plus a yard, but I think he gets DQ'd for being a bust. Don't think he could throw near as far, but Randall Cunningham threw lasers. Don't know that I ever saw him clocked, but he was definitely pitching fastballs...and most of them were on the run.

Before getting hurt...Greg Cook had a huge arm and could run a 4.6. Pastorini and Namath might take the place of a couple on the list. Cunningham, Elway, Jones, George and Favre. Left out Lamonica. I wouldn't put Jim Hart the list. In terms of hard throws...Favre, Elway and Namath could make the ball whistle off his hand.

I'm just going to keep tossing out filler threads until fall camp, because they're more fun than the poster feuds, and this one is probably best answered by you guys:

Strongest arm you ever saw on a quarterback? I did a little research to compile options for a poll and tried to come up with a few from each NFL era (I know not always comparable, blah blah, but we're spitballin' here), and also note that this is just big arms, regardless of how good they actually were at playing the position. This also isn't a 'who threw the prettiest deep ball' question (to me that's Warren Moon). I know there isn't anybody current on the list but I'm not sure who I would include. Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler, Mahomes, and Josh Allen get the most mentions among the youngsters but I don't really watch the NFL anymore so I'm not sure where they'd fall. Feel free to choose one, or, give me somebody else in the comments because the options maxed out at 10 names and I probably could've put 20 up there.

For me it has to be Elway. He was the guy known for the "Elway Cross", which was a bruise that occurred (shaped like a cross, from the nose of the football) if the receiver was stupid enough to let the ball get to his torso, instead of catching it away from the body.

I saw Elway in person against WSU, along with Cunningham and Jim Plunkett. Saw Kenny Stabler play for the Spokane Shockers! Pro arm, of course. But not in Elway's league.The others were from TV viewing. I don't think guys like Marino had a huge strong arm as much as they had a lightening release? Namath? I don't particularly remember him as a cannon arm. But he wasn't a noodle, either. And he sure knew how to win.

For me it has to be Elway. He was the guy known for the "Elway Cross", which was a bruise that occurred (shaped like a cross, from the nose of the football) if the receiver was stupid enough to let the ball get to his torso, instead of catching it away from the body.

I saw Elway in person against WSU, along with Cunningham and Jim Plunkett. Saw Kenny Stabler play for the Spokane Shockers! Pro arm, of course. But not in Elway's league.The others were from TV viewing. I don't think guys like Marino had a huge strong arm as much as they had a lightening release? Namath? I don't particularly remember him as a cannon arm. But he wasn't a noodle, either. And he sure knew how to win.
My dad told me about the Shockers. They don't list any rosters. Do you remember any other players?

Before getting hurt...Greg Cook had a huge arm and could run a 4.6. Pastorini and Namath might take the place of a couple on the list. Cunningham, Elway, Jones, George and Favre. Left out Lamonica. I wouldn't put Jim Hart the list. In terms of hard throws...Favre, Elway and Namath could make the ball whistle off his hand.

Did you actually see Cook? Just out of curiosity.

Depends on your measure of strength. Elway could throw it a mile. Some said Jamarcus Russel could throw it a mile plus a yard, but I think he gets DQ'd for being a bust. Don't think he could throw near as far, but Randall Cunningham threw lasers. Don't know that I ever saw him clocked, but he was definitely pitching fastballs...and most of them were on the run.

Eagle's fans wish they had RPO offense with Radnall.

My dad told me about the Shockers. They don't list any rosters. Do you remember any other players?

It was a looong time ago. The only other name I know for sure was an asst coach at Ferris by the name of Tom Hedemark. He was one intense mo'fo! Played for Bert Clark at WSU. He was a "student-coach" for the 1965 "Cardiac Cougs" team that first got me hooked on following WSU football, as a kid.

Eagle's fans wish they had RPO offense with Radnall.
He was fun to watch. His style was about 20 years ahead of the league. He's a hall of famer if he plays for Walsh/Siefert...or for just about anyone but Buddy Ryan.

He was fun to watch. His style was about 20 years ahead of the league. He's a hall of famer if he plays for Walsh/Siefert...or for just about anyone but Buddy Ryan.

Football coaches are stupid. Chip Kelly is the first coach I've heard say.. "I find out what my QB does best and do that."

That's how you run an offense.

I've seen so many coaches try and take guys that they KNOW can't run the offensive scheme they have.. literally pounded the triangle into the square hole.. then can't believe it when it doesn't work. It is f*cking amazing to me the arrogance of coaches to think that they will go to work every day, expect the most important player in their offense to run the scheme they know they're bad at.. yet they won't change or learn something new. It is unfathomable to them to think they might change something for their QB to have success and their entire team to have success.

The worst thing the coaching industry has going for it is long time coaches. These guys have never had a job outside of football. They've never ran a business. They've never gone through any kind of management training. Zero sales training. Absolutely no public relations or media training. Nothing. All they've done is be a glorified PE teacher for decades and somehow they're qualified to run an organization that generates and spends tens of millions of dollars. OR... They're in charge of disciplining students that have behavior problems on campus... example, Art Briles at Baylor. Simply because they can teach a kid to block or run a shiny new defensive scheme. Or they were on a staff where they were exposed to a coach that had success. There is so much to running an organization that 99% of football coaches don't know it's laughable. Starting with finding what your personnel does well and then moving them into position to do that lol.

And you have university presidents that let them!!! lol

End rant.

It was a looong time ago. The only other name I know for sure was an asst coach at Ferris by the name of Tom Hedemark. He was one intense mo'fo! Played for Bert Clark at WSU. He was a "student-coach" for the 1965 "Cardiac Cougs" team that first got me hooked on following WSU football, as a kid.

Pretty sure Wallace Williams played for the Shockers. Not certain but relatively certain.

I want to say Clancy Williams did too.

Unless you saw all these guys live...all we have are TV and videos to rely on. When Bill Walsh tells you something as a fact....maybe YOU might argue with him.

Who said I wanted to argue with either of you. He would be a smidge harder to carry on a debate with however.

But it did prompt me to google and look at the 1969 NFL draft and saw some real old-timers.

Best name of that draft- WR from ASU...Fair Hooker

Football coaches are stupid. Chip Kelly is the first coach I've heard say.. "I find out what my QB does best and do that."

I've seen so many coaches try and take guys that they KNOW can't run the offensive scheme they have.. literally pounded the triangle into the square hole.. then can't believe it when it doesn't work. It is f*cking amazing to me the arrogance of coaches to think that they will go to work every day, expect the most important player in their offense to run the scheme they know they're bad at.. yet they won't change or learn something new. It is unfathomable to them to think they might change something for their QB to have success and their entire team to have success.

The worst thing the coaching industry has going for it is long time coaches. These guys have never had a job outside of football. They've never ran a business. They've never gone through any kind of management training. Zero sales training. Absolutely no public relations or media training. Nothing. All they've done is be a glorified PE teacher for decades and somehow they're qualified to run an organization that generates and spends tens of millions of dollars. OR... They're in charge of disciplining students that have behavior problems on campus... example, Art Briles at Baylor. Simply because they can teach a kid to block or run a shiny new defensive scheme. Or they were on a staff where they were exposed to a coach that had success. There is so much to running an organization that 99% of football coaches don't know it's laughable. Starting with finding what your personnel does well and then moving them into position to do that lol.

End rant.
I have a similar beef with recruiting rankings. Recruiting the rankings is a bad idea, you have to recruit the player. Just because a kid has a bunch of stars doesn't mean he's a good fit.

When you get down to it, nearly every player is a "system player." There are very few players - especially at the "skill positions" - who are talented enough to be high performers regardless of system. Most of them fit best when used in particular ways. It's up to the coach to identify what that is...or to identify the needs of the system and find kids who do those things well.

End rant.

That is why successful coaches recruit to their system. When Mike Ditka went to the west coast o his last years in Chicago it was a disaster. He and the coaching staff had their expertise, and it wasn't something they would just learn.

I have a similar beef with recruiting rankings. Recruiting the rankings is a bad idea, you have to recruit the player. Just because a kid has a bunch of stars doesn't mean he's a good fit.

When you get down to it, nearly every player is a "system player." There are very few players - especially at the "skill positions" - who are talented enough to be high performers regardless of system. Most of them fit best when used in particular ways. It's up to the coach to identify what that is...or to identify the needs of the system and find kids who do those things well.

This is one reason why I hate multiple defenses and offenses at schools like WSU. You wind up with a collection of guys whose skill sets you're trying to mash together. The pieces don't fit. You need cohesiveness. More often than not you wind up with guys that can do half of what you need. Pick a scheme, recruit to it, stick with it.

It seemed like for a while it was George. Too bad he couldn’t stay on the field.

Elway had to be close

Has anyone thrown the ball farther than Kordell Stewart on a live play? Released on the 27, caught in the end zone?

The Continental Football League was kinda fun. I remember watching the Seattle Rangers practice one evening at Interbay. I must have been 9 or 10.

Who said I wanted to argue with either of you. He would be a smidge harder to carry on a debate with however.

But it did prompt me to google and look at the 1969 NFL draft and saw some real old-timers.

Best name of that draft- WR from ASU...Fair Hooker
The Mad Bomber is always going to be Daryle Lamonica for me.
I don't think they went back too far, but it appears brady does have a cannon.

Strongest arm for a guy 5'-9"....Doug Flutie. I remember him throwing ropes.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is the distance on every one of those throws overestimated by 5-8 yards?
I don't know. How much further would the ball travel before it hit the ground if it weren't caught at shoulder? level. 3 yards?

I don't know. How much further would the ball travel before it hit the ground if it weren't caught at shoulder? level. 3 yards?
Well, now we're into a conversation about trajectory and parabolic motion. I think I'll go back to the music thread...

Biggest arm I ever saw personally was Doug Williams. The Oklahoma Outlaws made him their QB for the opening of that other league in the '80's and they had a fan opening day thing where the players did various things and there were mingle opportunities. One of the demos was Williams. He stood behind one 30 and threw it as far as he could with a two step start. I think he probably did it a half dozen times. They all went into the end zone. I was pretty impressed.

the mad bomber was darrell lamonica
Yea I do remember that. I thought that was a tag they put on Longley that one season he had with the Cowboys?
Oh well, my memory ain't what it used to be for sure!

All this talk brings up in my mind the Heidi game. The Jets and Raiders hated each other; if you want the 2 season's worth of background, look at the Wiki entry for the Heidi game. The Raiders broke Namath's jaw the year before and there were not two teams that hated each other more at that time. Lamonica/Biletnikoff/Blanda/Otto and the Raiders vs. Namath and a great supporting cast. I was 10 and remember it vividly. Wiki has it wrong on one point; it wasn't east cutaway vs. west seeing the conclusion, because the Spokane station I was watching cut away. I suspect it was probably only CA/NV/Arizona being served out of the Burbank feed...regardless, we lost the game broadcast with a minute or so left and the Raiders driving.

That game left us with a legacy; sports games thereafter were not cut away from in order to carry other programming.

Yea I do remember that. I thought that was a tag they put on Longley that one season he had with the Cowboys?
Oh well, my memory ain't what it used to be for sure!
Clint the guy that found out the hard way that in spite of Roger's All American demeanor....will also kick your ass.

Reactions: 79COUG
Clint the guy that found out the hard way that in spite of Roger's All American demeanor....will also kick your ass.
I've heard of that story. Everybody supposedly found it shocking, but I can't see a guy like Staubach that busted his ass doing everything he was told his whole life and crafting a great life out of it having his manhood questioned by a punk with a big arm and the weird notion that a sucker punch was the way to handle the situation

Reactions: kougkurt
I've heard of that story. Everybody supposedly found it shocking, but I can't see a guy like Staubach that busted his ass doing everything he was told his whole life and crafting a great life out of it having his manhood questioned by a punk with a big arm and the weird notion that a sucker punch was the way to handle the situation
The story that didn't get much press is that Clint suggested Roger was an old man and should retire. He kept going until Roger invited him away from the rest of the team while they kept Dan Reeves distracted. Roger got the best of him when both were prepared. Later, Clint was disrespecting Drew Pearson...Roger told him to calm down as he had both hands taking off his shoulder pads is when Clint drilled him. Moments later...Landry was asking for him to be traded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT