ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State making push for Big 12 membership

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
from the TCU site:

What's next for the Big 12:

The Big 12 presidents also voted on Friday night to pre-approve expansion efforts to a 17th and 18th team by December 31, 2023.

What does that mean? Well, it appears that Brett Yormark and the Big 12 will continue to be aggressive. Potential candidates include UConn and Oregon State, the latter of whom has recently made a pitch to the conference for membership and appears willing to take a lower payout.

Hopefully Schulz and Chun are right there working a package deal with their counterparts from Corvallis

Kind of concerning that WSU never gets mentioned in any scenarios don’t you think? Feels like all our hopes were in keeping the PAC going……

from the TCU site:

The Big 12 presidents also voted on Friday night to pre-approve expansion efforts to a 17th and 18th team by December 31, 2023.

What does that mean? Well, it appears that Brett Yormark and the Big 12 will continue to be aggressive. Potential candidates include UConn and Oregon State, the latter of whom has recently made a pitch to the conference for membership and appears willing to take a lower payout.

Hopefully Schulz and Chun are right there working a package deal with their counterparts from Corvallis
If either Big xx conference is looking for more expansion, they’ll look at Cal & Stanford first. The Bay Area market can’t be ignored.

from the TCU site:

Gawd knock your Schulz/Chun shit off. I'm sick of reading your BS posts about them. They suck doggy dicks.

Kind of concerning that WSU never gets mentioned in any scenarios don’t you think? Feels like all our hopes were in keeping the PAC going……
Almost like we have a chubby beta bitch who is the "leader of the Pac-12 presidents" or whatever the **** and has his head up his ass, fiddling while Rome burns and hoping this will somehow work out. Sorry for the tone, these new preworkouts are really something.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
They are the pilots flying the plane. You are in a nose dive. We better hope they pull this off. No other options unless you want to see this completely crash.
Well F’in said. Let’s not forget too these changes aren’t happening next week they are happening next year. Not that there shouldn’t be a sense of urgency but WSU could be added to the Big12 next week or next month.

Well F’in said. Let’s not forget too these changes aren’t happening next week they are happening next year. Not that there shouldn’t be a sense of urgency but WSU could be added to the Big12 next week or next month.

Deadline isn’t until Dec. 31.

The Big 12 commish make take his time making the selections for schools No. 17 and 18.

If either Big xx conference is looking for more expansion, they’ll look at Cal & Stanford first. The Bay Area market can’t be ignored.
Fox and ESPN must have come up with more money for the Big 12, because they had this capped at 16. The most money is going with Washington St., and Oregon St., not the bay area. Stanford and Cal and San Francisco are sexy (or used to be) but they will not go to the Big 12, so you take Washington St., and Oregon St. together, keep the West coast matchups with the Huskies and Ducks - Others.
Everything I have read says Yormark is a NY basketball guy, he wants UConn to further solidify the Big 12 as the best BB conference in the nation (shove it up your ass Walton).
I would imagine Yormark will wait to see what Florida St. and Clemson can do to the ACC. If it unravels, it could be the first time BB saves some schools like Syracuse, Louisville, UConn. There has been some examination into setting up separate BB membership from FB in the Big 12, you can see the possibility. Much less expensive to travel a BB squad. Not far down the road, you will see Yormark go to work on the NCAA and the tournament money (over a Billion) they control, unlike FB.

Fox and ESPN must have come up with more money for the Big 12, because they had this capped at 16. The most money is going with Washington St., and Oregon St., not the bay area. Stanford and Cal and San Francisco are sexy (or used to be) but they will not go to the Big 12, so you take Washington St., and Oregon St. together, keep the West coast matchups with the Huskies and Ducks - Others.
Everything I have read says Yormark is a NY basketball guy, he wants UConn to further solidify the Big 12 as the best BB conference in the nation (shove it up your ass Walton).
I would imagine Yormark will wait to see what Florida St. and Clemson can do to the ACC. If it unravels, it could be the first time BB saves some schools like Syracuse, Louisville, UConn. There has been some examination into setting up separate BB membership from FB in the Big 12, you can see the possibility. Much less expensive to travel a BB squad. Not far down the road, you will see Yormark go to work on the NCAA and the tournament money (over a Billion) they control, unlike FB.
I agree that’s the best case scenario for us. Problem is market potential. Stanford and Cal have less average viewership than we do, fairly consistently. But their potential market increase is much bigger. We have a respectable viewer base, but that’s basically what we’re going to have - there’s little additional market to tap. There’s no upside. The beavers are in an only slightly better position. Market potential is how Houston and UCF got into the big 12 a they didn’t have the viewers in CUSA, but they could gain them in the Big12. It’s also what some of us were banking on in talking about adding SMU and UNLV. We don’t have it.

My guess is that things will sit where they are for at least a few months. Neither the Big 10 or 12 needs to do anything, they can sit back, study the terrain, and let us get desperate. The more anxious we are, the worse deal we’ll accept. Objectively, if Yormark is looking like you said…that’s probably his better move. UConn sucks in football, but they’re a basketball powerhouse, and there are other programs in that region that are similar. More importantly, that gets a real east coast footprint and a hell of a lot more TV sets than any of the Pac-12 schools provide.

I am an Oklahoma State fan visiting your site. We were so close to being in your position a few years ago when it looked like the Big 12 was imploding. We got lucky. I do hope if the Big 12 goes to 18 WSU and OSU are the two who gets the invite. Cal and Stanford have nothing in common with Big 12 schools. The only reason I would want Stanford to come here is to welcome their band in a real Cowboy manor. They insulted all of Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl in 2012 and I think it represented the attitude of all No. Cal. we don't want or need any part of them. I wish the NCAA would take a more aggressive stance in this and protect all it's member institutions. Both you and OSU deserve better and I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for both of you.

I am an Oklahoma State fan visiting your site. We were so close to being in your position a few years ago when it looked like the Big 12 was imploding. We got lucky. I do hope if the Big 12 goes to 18 WSU and OSU are the two who gets the invite. Cal and Stanford have nothing in common with Big 12 schools. The only reason I would want Stanford to come here is to welcome their band in a real Cowboy manor. They insulted all of Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl in 2012 and I think it represented the attitude of all No. Cal. we don't want or need any part of them. I wish the NCAA would take a more aggressive stance in this and protect all it's member institutions. Both you and OSU deserve better and I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for both of you.

Classy post.

I read where Okie State coach Mike Gundy decided to shut down the Bedlam Classic rivalry with Oklahoma because the Sooners left the Big 12 for the SEC.

A lot of the top posters on this board who people look up to feel strongly WSU should do the same to Washington and Oregon because they selfishly betrayed the Pac-12 conference to go the Big Ten

Thanks buddy. Our only hope is a PAC4 Mtn West merger. Keep us out West. Were we belong. I can handle playing Wyoming and CSU and (barf) Boise Jr. College.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Well the commissioner did say he wanted to be in every time zone. Arizona is only Pacific half the year. It's something. Nobody really thought last month that 6 teams would leave the PAC before football season began.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT