ADVERTISEMENT

OT: House where 4 University of Idaho students were killed is demolished

Both the prosecutors and the defense have said that they have no objection to the house being torn down. Both teams have had access to the house and the FBI was in to take information to make computer models of the house. According to the police (or maybe the prosecutor - I can't remember) the home has been substantially "altered" so it wasn't the same as it was at the time of the murders.

BTW only 2 of the families have objected. The family of Ethan Chapin has asked for the house to be torn down as it is a constant reminder to his 2 siblings who still attend the U of I. The home is surrounded by student housing and was boarded up and surrounded by a chain link fence and a 24 hour security.

As it appears that the defense is going to drag this trial out as long as possible I agree that it's time for the house to come down. Moscow and the U of I aren't going to forget the murders.

Last edited:
Both the prosecutors and the defense have said that they have no objection to the house being torn down. Both teams have had access to the house and the FBI was in to take information to make computer models of the house. According to the police (or maybe the prosecutor - I can't remember) the home has been substantially "altered" so it wasn't the same as it was at the time of the murders.

BTW only 2 of the families have objected. The family of Ethan Chapin has asked for the house to be torn down as it is a constant reminder to his 2 siblings who still attend the U of I. The home is surrounded by student housing and was boarded up and surrounded by a chain link fence and a 24 hour security.

As it appears that the defense is going to drag this trial out as long as possible I agree that it's time for the house to come down. Moscow and the U of I aren't going to forget the murders.
Yeah, I read the same things. I’m not sure what detail could be missed, but it’s possible. And, if I was the defense I would have wanted the place torn down the minute I knew there was nothing exculpatory there. If there are angles the prosecution hasn’t thought of, I don’t want them to be able to get answers.
And yes, I’ll drag out and delay the trial as long as I can. Let the rage and emotion fade, let the families get tired of the wait, make the prosecution spend a fortune, and let everyone become more willing to plead it out.

Yeah, I read the same things. I’m not sure what detail could be missed, but it’s possible. And, if I was the defense I would have wanted the place torn down the minute I knew there was nothing exculpatory there. If there are angles the prosecution hasn’t thought of, I don’t want them to be able to get answers.
And yes, I’ll drag out and delay the trial as long as I can. Let the rage and emotion fade, let the families get tired of the wait, make the prosecution spend a fortune, and let everyone become more willing to plead it out.
When it should be let him bleed out.

The twist on this is that the grandfather of the U of I President once owned the property.

Not that it has any bearing but probably should have been disclosed somewhere along the line.

The twist on this is that the grandfather of the U of I President once owned the property.

Not that it has any bearing but probably should have been disclosed somewhere along the line.
I saw that article too. Author is trying pretty hard to drum up outrage about something that’s completely meaningless. The property was sold in the early 1970s, there’s no reason that needed to be disclosed.

I saw that article too. Author is trying pretty hard to drum up outrage about something that’s completely meaningless. The property was sold in the early 1970s, there’s no reason that needed to be disclosed.
Just a fan of being out in front of the media click baiters.

I’m kind of with the families on this. Probably would have been better to leave the house standing until the trial was over. If the defense now can come up with some detail that can’t be verified, maybe they can turn that into reasonable doubt…and they only need to do it for 1 juror.

Has there ever been a murder trial where the verdict depended upon the crime scene being preserved for a year and a half?

Has there ever been a murder trial where the verdict depended upon the crime scene being preserved for a year and a half?
Not sure. But from what they’ve released so far, the evidence connecting him to the crime is less than ironclad. I’m confident there’s more to their case, I’d just hate to see him walk on some stupid detail that can’t be put to bed because of the demolition.

Not sure. But from what they’ve released so far, the evidence connecting him to the crime is less than ironclad. I’m confident there’s more to their case, I’d just hate to see him walk on some stupid detail that can’t be put to bed because of the demolition.
I’m of the opinion that the evidence they have will either be ironclad or will prove him innocent, no in between Forget the house, theres no way he gets into his car or goes into his apartment without bringing DNA with him. If they found nothing in either place, particularly the car, he didn’t do it. I’m guessing what they have from the car will nail him.

I’m of the opinion that the evidence they have will either be ironclad or will prove him innocent, no in between Forget the house, theres no way he gets into his car or goes into his apartment without bringing DNA with him. If they found nothing in either place, particularly the car, he didn’t do it. I’m guessing what they have from the car will nail him.
I’ve long assumed that they’ve got something that’s pretty damning…and that it was from the scene, not his car or apartment. What they included in the Pc affidavit made a pretty strong connection, and you know they only put enough in that to get it approved. Plus, he’s been in jail for a year now, and is not pushing to go to trial. If you’re innocent and can explain whatever evidence is against you, you don’t stay in jail willingly. You don’t “stand silent” in your arraignment. You push to tell your side as quickly as possible.

I think we’ll learn some new things about trace evidence and analytical capabilities in this trial. I’m also wondering if we’re going to find out that investigators actually found his clothes and/or the knife. Based on his movements afterward, I suspect that he either put them in a hole somewhere south of Moscow or they went into the river at Lewiston. Either way…they could probably be located.

I’ve long assumed that they’ve got something that’s pretty damning…and that it was from the scene, not his car or apartment. What they included in the Pc affidavit made a pretty strong connection, and you know they only put enough in that to get it approved. Plus, he’s been in jail for a year now, and is not pushing to go to trial. If you’re innocent and can explain whatever evidence is against you, you don’t stay in jail willingly. You don’t “stand silent” in your arraignment. You push to tell your side as quickly as possible.

I think we’ll learn some new things about trace evidence and analytical capabilities in this trial. I’m also wondering if we’re going to find out that investigators actually found his clothes and/or the knife. Based on his movements afterward, I suspect that he either put them in a hole somewhere south of Moscow or they went into the river at Lewiston. Either way…they could probably be located.
He absolutlely made at least one dump, the knife probably at the bottom of the river in Lewiston. He would have had to have done a dexter on steroids with the inside of his car to not leave dna all over the place there. Almost impossible to avoid.

He absolutlely made at least one dump, the knife probably at the bottom of the river in Lewiston. He would have had to have done a dexter on steroids with the inside of his car to not leave dna all over the place there. Almost impossible to avoid.
I thought the knife sheath found in the house had his DNA on it. That's pretty ironclad in my book.

I thought the knife sheath found in the house had his DNA on it. That's pretty ironclad in my book.
That’s the rumor. Seems would be pretty damning. I’m sure defense would be it was planted, particularly if nothing else was found. Still think the car is the key. If he jumped in his car after that there’s no way there wasn’t DNA. Unless I missed something no coveralls or clothes were found near the house so unless he plastic wrapped the entire interior of his car perfectly, they will have a treasure trove of DNA from the car.

My daughter is very connected to the case on the legal side and when I asked her point blank if he was guilty her reply was "Without a doubt. There's no question in anyone's mind on either side."

Reactions: Coug90
One spot of DNA on the snap of the sheath. Sounds like they didn’t find it in first attempt, but swabbed again and found it. I’d guess the defense would attack that, but I don’t expect it’s the only DNA they have.
There’s still an easy way for him to defend against DNA in his car and both apartments. Just claim he was dating one of them. That falls apart if there’s mixed DNA in blood, or if victim DNA in his car/apartment is in blood.

Still would be nice for the prosecution to have the clothes he must have ditched, and the knife.

As I recall it was stated in one of the records released to the public the sheath was found underneath one of the female victims.

I prefer to deal with information that has been released to the public thru the courts as so much of the so called news and rumours are b.s. Just about everyone in this town knows someone either thru the victims, the police or the DA's office. They aren't talking and I'm not about to ask them for any information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flatlandcoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT