ADVERTISEMENT

P12 CG Thoughts

One thing for sure in my mind is 4 is too small and I don't like a bye in a playoff. I would go 8 teams at minimum. I do think they will increase the next time they can make a change.
Eight teams ought to be the goal, and the reasoning is quite simple: the only purpose of a playoff is that it provides a better way to determine which college football team is the best in the country. Thus, all one has to do is to insure that the number chosen be sufficient to insure that the best team is indeed captured in the initial pool. With four teams, there is legitimate debate if that is possible on a consistent basis, but with eight teams, the likelihood that one has somehow "missed" the best team is very slight, imo. The means we use to GET to the best team, once the 8 teams are chosen....now that is another discussion!!

Here is what I think the Final Four will look like. I think Ohio State gets left out, they frankly looked bad against Michigan.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Penn State

5. Ohio State (this is the closest call, so I would be the least surprised if they & Penn State were reversed)
The SOS argument bodes well for the Big 12. Stronger non-cons then the Huskies and 1-6 stronger than the Pac-12--as well as middle tier team Iowa stronger than Utah. Easy case to be made for two Big 12 teams.

Eight teams ought to be the goal, and the reasoning is quite simple: the only purpose of a playoff is that it provides a better way to determine which college football team is the best in the country. Thus, all one has to do is to insure that the number chosen be sufficient to insure that the best team is indeed captured in the initial pool. With four teams, there is legitimate debate if that is possible on a consistent basis, but with eight teams, the likelihood that one has somehow "missed" the best team is very slight, imo. The means we use to GET to the best team, once the 8 teams are chosen....now that is another discussion!!
I'm good with an 8 team. Thinking about it 16 is too big so I will go back on my original point. Four additional games is too much for players and most likely fan bases. When they can revamp the bowls is another question. It's a lot to ask fans to go from one bowl location to the next. First round would probably need to be at the home field of the higher seed.

Actually, in regards to Liufau, I pointed to two games which a "Dreck" qb wouldn't be capable of having.

Alabama went on two 90+ yd drives(and an 88 yd drive) today against a very good defense. Hardly dreck.

Crappy offensive coordinators don't interview for head jobs but your resort to sarcasm is noted.
Through 13 games, Bama's and CU's defenses have generated an astonishing combined 50 (!) turnovers, representing 2 extra drives for the offense to play with every single game. Takeaways aside, they're the #1 and #17 defenses in the nation, respectively.

Now swap the D out for Eastern Carolina's - is there anyone left dumb enough to defend those offenses on a message board? Not likely. Dreck offenses.

Through 13 games, Bama's and CU's defenses have generated an astonishing combined 50 (!) turnovers, representing 2 extra drives for the offense to play with every single game. Takeaways aside, they're the #1 and #17 defenses in the nation, respectively.

Now swap the D out for Eastern Carolina's - is there anyone left dumb enough to defend those offenses on a message board? Not likely. Dreck offenses.
You simply don't know what you are talking about while contradicting yourself at the same time.

If these offenses were "Dreck" you wouldn't blame their production due to 2 extra possessions per game because they wouldn't be able to score anyways...since they are dreck and all.

WSU has faced some dreck offenses this yr. CU was not one of them. We couldn't stop them. Neither could Michigan when their "Dreck" qb was in the game. Only an idiot would call a qb who threw for 354 yds and rushed for 100+ yds and 3 tds dreck.

Florida, who has a good D, gave up two 90 yd drives and an 88 yd drives for TD's to a "dreck" offense. Yes, I am repeating myself so it will sink in.

You simply don't know what you are talking about while contradicting yourself at the same time.

If these offenses were "Dreck" you wouldn't blame their production due to 2 extra possessions per game because they wouldn't be able to score anyways...since they are dreck and all.

WSU has faced some dreck offenses this yr. CU was not one of them. We couldn't stop them. Neither could Michigan when their "Dreck" qb was in the game. Only an idiot would call a qb who threw for 354 yds and rushed for 100+ yds and 3 tds dreck.

Florida, who has a good D, gave up two 90 yd drives and an 88 yd drives for TD's to a "dreck" offense. Yes, I am repeating myself so it will sink in.
We're talking about offenses being dreck, not QBs. Go back, read the OP, and try to keep up. Am I talking to Sefo Liufau's dad here?

And why do you keep putting "dreck" in quotations? Is there some question about it being a real word? There must be: you seem to think it means literally unable to score under any circumstances. It does not. But it could be applied to a team which - despite getting 2 bonus possessions per game and having the #17 overall defense - still manages to rank just #44 in total offense, behind such powerhouses as Ball State and Southern Miss.

Please, pal - invest something in this discussion. Citing individual drives :p or games is not good enough. Only one of us is trying here and it's not you.

Anyway, out of respect for people having real discussions on this thread, go ahead and find a way to direct any similarly devastating repartees to me directly. PM? Anything other than hijacking it to defend what I have to believe is your son.

Great post Chip. Try working with Husky fans! It sucks. They are arrogant nearly all the time. Funny fact though: I graduated from WSU and none of the Husky fans attended UW, if they attended/graduated college at all. I bring this fact up on a regular basis and they promptly shut-up. In general they hate Leach and think Falk is mediocre (yet, they want him to declare for the draft due to Leach's dangerous system). In their opinion Gabe is a system receiver. I respect the Huskies season, but I hate living and working in Seattle when they have success.

Bama will beat-up UW.
Thanks.

The Husky douche struggle is real. The jack-Husky fans were all but a hazy memory for me by the time Sarksleazian brought his pill addiction to Montlake, as it had been a quarter of a century since they had done anything; I almost forgot they existed. But with a bit of success, these front-runners have come roaring out of retirement in the last 90 days, hopeful we didn't remember they jumped ship a long time ago. I've never lived near PDX but I imagine this is how the Oregon rise went: bunch of lowlifes who couldn't get into the school get kitted up head to toe in team gear and can't stop throwing up gang signs, woofing, and posting about all of it on social media.

The two Husky templates I hate the most:
  1. The "never attended and couldn't have even if I wanted to" jack-fan who trashes WSU and other rivals. Buddy, we have no beef because you have ZERO connection to either school (and no, your uncle graduating in 1977 doesn't count). It's like a spectator jumping into the ring and dogging on someone in Mayweather's posse. You don't belong here; get off the raise.
  2. The 2-year attendee. This is the guy who got denied or wait-listed from UW first time round, got high for a year, went to North Seattle CC for 2 1/2 years, bussed tables for another 6 months, then got in on the underachieving-CC-transfer plan and took 3 years to finish 2. Gets his BA in Underwater Basketweaving and then gets in your face about how the "Dawgs" are gonna stomp a mudhole in your ass. Bro, you don't rate.

Actually, you did call Liufau a dreck qb in another post(after the CU game) which is why I brought it up.

I'm sorry you don't like me bringing up examples that happen in actual games situations(where it matters). Maybe I'll commission Tron to take some stats and compile a pie chart or something.

We're talking about offenses being dreck, not QBs. Go back, read the OP, and try to keep up. Am I talking to Sefo Liufau's dad here?

And why do you keep putting "dreck" in quotatio.ns? Is there some question about it being a real word? There must be: you seem to think it means literally unable to score under any circumstances. It does not. But it could be applied to a team which - despite getting 2 bonus possessions per game and having the #17 overall defense - still manages to rank just #44 in total offense, behind such powerhouses as Ball State and Southern Miss.

Please, pal - invest something in this discussion. Citing individual drives :p or games is not good enough. Only one of us is trying here and it's not you.

Anyway, out of respect for people having real discussions on this thread, go ahead and find a way to direct any similarly devastating repartees to me directly. PM? Anything other than hijacking it to defend what I have to believe is your son.

Actually, you did call Liufau a dreck qb in another post(after the CU game) which is why I brought it up.

I'm sorry you don't like me bringing up examples that happen in actual games situations(where it matters). Maybe I'll commission Tron to take some stats and compile a pie chart or something.
I can see why asking to send something to me directly was unclear to you.

Thanks.

The Husky douche struggle is real. The jack-Husky fans were all but a hazy memory for me by the time Sarksleazian brought his pill addiction to Montlake, as it had been a quarter of a century since they had done anything; I almost forgot they existed. But with a bit of success, these front-runners have come roaring out of retirement in the last 90 days, hopeful we didn't remember they jumped ship a long time ago. I've never lived near PDX but I imagine this is how the Oregon rise went: bunch of lowlifes who couldn't get into the school get kitted up head to toe in team gear and can't stop throwing up gang signs, woofing, and posting about all of it on social media.

1. The "never attended and couldn't have even if I wanted to" jack-fan who trashes WSU and other rivals. Buddy, we have no beef because you have ZERO connection to either school (and no, your uncle graduating in 1977 doesn't count). It's like a spectator jumping into the ring and dogging on someone in Mayweather's posse. You don't belong here; get off the raise.
  2. The 2-year attendee. This is the guy who got denied or wait-listed from UW first time round, got high for a year, went to North Seattle CC for 2 1/2 years, bussed tables for another 6 months, then got in on the underachieving-CC-transfer plan and took 3 years to finish 2. Gets his BA in Underwater Basketweaving and then gets in your face about how the "Dawgs" are gonna stomp a mudhole in your ass. Bro, you don't rate.
Hahahaha...awesome

Thanks.

But my doctorate in underwater basket weaving has served me well.

But my doctorate in underwater basket weaving has served me well.
Not that lying is impossible on the Internet, but serious question: are you a 4-year UW attendee and degree holder? I remember you coming over years ago so I'm inclined not to think you're a jack-Husky. For whatever that's worth.

Not that lying is impossible on the Internet, but serious question: are you a 4-year UW attendee and degree holder? I remember you coming over years ago so I'm inclined not to think you're a jack-Husky. For whatever that's worth.
I am a four plus year attendee with 4 UW degrees. My father played the role of Terrible Terry Baker to my portrayal of Junior Coffey when I was a little kid. My first UW game attended was against Oregon in 1966--we won 10-7. I was 8.

Reactions: chipdouglas
Ah....you're still here? Wow, I haven't posted on this site for years. I kind of lost enthusiasm for the forums for a long time but always fondly remember trading jabs with you. How's things?

Ah....you're still here? Wow, I haven't posted on this site for years. I kind of lost enthusiasm for the forums for a long time but always fondly remember trading jabs with you. How's things?
Doing well. How are you?

Doing well. How are you?

Doing well, thanks. A lot better now that we have a competitive football team again. Changed jobs a couple of times, now running a start up for start ups....

Well, checking out again; not really any time for hanging around the boards but, I'll check in once in a while to keep you on the up and up. Take care.

Doing well, thanks. A lot better now that we have a competitive football team again. Changed jobs a couple of times, now running a start up for start ups....

Well, checking out again; not really any time for hanging around the boards but, I'll check in once in a while to keep you on the up and up. Take care.
Thanks CG. It's been too long. I'd love to chat about this intriguing job of yours if you ever come up for air.

I am a four plus year attendee with 4 UW degrees. My father played the role of Terrible Terry Baker to my portrayal of Junior Coffey when I was a little kid. My first UW game attended was against Oregon in 1966--we won 10-7. I was 8.
Why did you stop at four?

Thanks CG. Very interesting.

I've been volunteering at Seattle U to mentor MBAs and JDs who work with a wide array of startups as an educational exercise. I wonder if we know some of the same people.
His are out of jail. Actually, my wife does that in "Ory-gone." Small world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT