ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 All stars vs Boomers

jourdand

Hall Of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
PAC 12 network has been broadcasting the games from Australia. Josh Hawkinson is on the PAC 12 team but its really not a place for him to shine. They only had a few practices so not a lot of structure on offense. The two games I watched the Boomers handled the PAC 12 pretty easily. The Boomers have I believe 7 NBA players. From a WSU fans perspective it was nice seeing Baynes and Motum playing again. Baynes had 28 points one night and if he didn't get 20 the second night he was real close. I think Motum had 8 the first game and 14 or 16 the second game. GU fans will rember Patty Mills and Matt Dellavedova they are also on the Aussy team. Overall fun games to watch in the summer.

Josh was not much of a factor in either game. He had maybe 4 points both nights not many rebounds as the bigger Aussies controlled the boards. Josh had a nice block on Motum in transition.

One hopes that he is improving. I saw a write up of the first game and the Aussie press said that he did well defensively. I hope that he is improving his defense as that s the weakest part of his game.

PAC 12 network has been broadcasting the games from Australia. Josh Hawkinson is on the PAC 12 team but its really not a place for him to shine. They only had a few practices so not a lot of structure on offense. The two games I watched the Boomers handled the PAC 12 pretty easily. The Boomers have I believe 7 NBA players. From a WSU fans perspective it was nice seeing Baynes and Motum playing again. Baynes had 28 points one night and if he didn't get 20 the second night he was real close. I think Motum had 8 the first game and 14 or 16 the second game. GU fans will rember Patty Mills and Matt Dellavedova they are also on the Aussy team. Overall fun games to watch in the summer.

No answer for Aron Baynes in game 1, according to Montgomery. My pet gripe about Tony's last year, was his ineffective use of Baynes. Primarily used as a screener to set up shots for Taylor and Klay, only 8 shots, very little effort develop inside out passing. No player in the conference had similar size or strength, a bigger more physical player than Brockman, the #2 in that category, who Romar used far more effectively.

In Tony's offense, nobody got a huge amount of shots per game. True, Klay and Rochestie each averaged over 11 attempts to Baynes' 8. But you need to also account for all the times Baynes was fouled with the ball in his hands, quite often on a shot attempt, which would not be part of the tally. Baynes easily shot more free throws that season than anyone else. It all added up to Baynes being the second leading scorer on the team, just behind Rochestie and just ahead of Thompson. I agree with you that Tony never developed Baynes as a passer and he had very few assists that year.

Glad Cougar

In Tony's offense, nobody got a huge amount of shots per game. True, Klay and Rochestie each averaged over 11 attempts to Baynes' 8. But you need to also account for all the times Baynes was fouled with the ball in his hands, quite often on a shot attempt, which would not be part of the tally. Baynes easily shot more free throws that season than anyone else. It all added up to Baynes being the second leading scorer on the team, just behind Rochestie and just ahead of Thompson. I agree with you that Tony never developed Baynes as a passer and he had very few assists that year.

Glad Cougar
Damn that Bennett was a rotten coach.

Damn that Bennett was a rotten coach.

Nah, but could he have better used his interior players, Casto and Baynes, better offensively. Bennett ball is guard based, however, you should adjust some to fit your talent and the absence of legit conference bigs. Baynes was a once in a generation big man for the Cougs, and it wasn't recognized. Had Bennett done like the Aussie coach, and played stop Bayneese first, then played perimeter ball when teams played collapsing defense, Taylor and Klay would have had more space and been more effective too -- like Mills in game two. Instead, Baynes spent half his time 18 feet from the basket setting screens, with the opposing coaches wiping their brow.

Yes, Baynes was fouled more, but Taylor still had more scoring attempts ( FGs + FTs) 463, as did Klay 411 to Baynes 410. And last I heard being fouled is a good thing when you shoot 80% Let's not forget every shot Klay and Taylor took deprived a guy who was shooting 58% from the floor -- huge when your team shunned the offensive board in favor of getting back on D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT