ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 was horrible and over-rated this year

Coug1990

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2002
1-7 in bowls so far. Only Utah has won their bowl game. All losses have been by double digits except for Stanford, who gave up a huge lead and lost the game.

So far, the uw is down 21-7 and their only offense has been a trick play.

1-7 in bowls so far. Only Utah has won their bowl game. All losses have been by double digits except for Stanford, who gave up a huge lead and lost the game.

Now it's 28-7, as Barkley just had a 92 yard TD run.

28-7

Now it's 28-7, as Barkley just had a 92 yard TD run.

What? Well get in there WAC (Whiney Ass Cougs) members show them how it is done.

WAHHHA WAHHH WOEFUL OFFENSE! FIRE PETERSON FIRE KWIATKOWSKI.
Waaah waaaah we are terrible, waaah waaah over paid coaching.... waaaah waaah stomp feet. waaah waaah tantrum.
Waaah waaah RUN THE BALL. Waah waaah something something irrelevant. Waaaah waaah uninspired play. Waaah waaah unprepared.

Come on. You guys are the experts. Get in there.

P12 has gotten soft and weak. The gimmick offenses have de-evolved our physicality, and we can no longer matchup with physical teams.

It’s cyclical, but right now, we’re the worst of the P5 conferences.

P12 has gotten soft and weak. The gimmick offenses have de-evolved our physicality, and we can no longer matchup with physical teams.

Except, the last several years the Conference has been good out of conference and in bowl games. This year, the teams are just not good. You did write that these things are cyclical. I would not read too much into this beyond it being just a down year.

That's not it.

The real reason is we don't have programs that take football REALLY seriously to go up against all the time.

Penn State stadium.

Wisconsin Stadium.

Michigan State stadium.

That's not even Michigan or Ohio State the notoriously known big dogs of the B1G.

The fact of the matter is the Pac-12 culture overall is soft and pussy.

If you think you are going to walk in and beat B1G / SEC style teams with some soft ass leave at half time, casual attitude towards football you will be hit in the face every single time. Every single time.

The reason the B1G payout is so big because to everybody it is a Big deal.
Same in the SEC. It's a BIG deal to them

The bigger the deal it is to the community. The more cut throat the competition.

It's not the offense that makes the teams soft. IT's the entire football culture in the Pac.

And even the ACC. This is how Virginia Tech treats games.

It's a different mindset. We get the south carolina mindset and we can go toe to toe with teams outside the conference. We don't have that then forget it.

Except, the last several years the Conference has been good out of conference and in bowl games. This year, the teams are just not good. You did write that these things are cyclical. I would not read too much into this beyond it being just a down year.

Regardless of the bowl record, the P12 has been physically weaker than other conferences over the past few years. That’s blatantly obvious to me when watching the games.

But yea, there’s nothing overly concerning. This year, Oregon played without their coach and best offensive player. UCLA player without Rosen and their coach, we were without our QB, top-2 WRs, all-American DL for a half, and our coaches were interviewing throughout the break.

It will swing back in our favor, but I do think that the Wild West offenses with Oregon, Leach, Rich Rod, Peterson, and now Chip Kelly will reduce our physicality in comparison with the SEC and Big10 bad boys.

Regardless of the bowl record, the P12 has been physically weaker than other conferences over the past few years. That’s blatantly obvious to me when watching the games.

But yea, there’s nothing overly concerning. This year, Oregon played without their coach and best offensive player. UCLA player without Rosen and their coach, we were without our QB, top-2 WRs, all-American DL for a half, and our coaches were interviewing throughout the break.

It will swing back in our favor, but I do think that the Wild West offenses with Oregon, Leach, Rich Rod, Peterson, and now Chip Kelly will reduce our physicality in comparison with the SEC and Big10 bad boys.

Ok, that is fair. I don't know if I would call it soft. I would call it finesse. Interestingly enough, finesse is the direction that the NFL has gone.

That would make sense if UW was getting beat physically . They are getting beat because they can not cover anybody. It really was a major fail in the AC not to have smoked that secondary.

Also someone should have kept that UW nose guard away from the enchiladas bar in Phoenix. He looks about 20 lbs heavier and is moving like he is wearing lead boots.

Last edited:
uw scores to make it 21-28. How the refs didn't call a hold on the TD pass when the defensive lineman split the offensive lineman and they both held him is beyond me.

The fact that UW is in this game is bananas.

Poorly coached hook and lateral. Awful coaching. Woeful Offense. Terrible. Hideous. Horrible play calling at the end with the hook and lateral. Awful. Total shit. Fire .Petersen. Get rid of Gaskin his backup is better. Tar and feather Kwiatkowski giving up 35 points. Burn Montlake. Overpriced, overpaid coaching.

Reactions: dgibbons
The mutts are getting exposed. People tried to make supermen of their D line. It was poor coaching of the O line which made the mutts look like supermen.Somehow coug fans seem oblivious to what is so obvious to the general football audiences. The offense was horrible this year and the blame can go around. It starts with player selection,coaching technique and coordination. Leach has done a good job but he needs to make changes if he wants to continue to however around 8-9 wins a year/

I'm happy we did 9-4 this year. That's a good year for Cougs, and would be any year, even if I'm getting impatient for that first year of consistency where we do not completely melt down at the end of the season.

But going through P12 teams like a hot knife through butter, then watching those same teams fold like a lawn chair when faced with P5 competition, should put our season in perspective.

Happily, 10 years from now, nobody will remember what the PAC was like in 2017 - 9 wins will just be 9 wins. Onward and upward.

Of such stuff are legends sometimes made. In ten years,they will be talking about the greatest QB in the history in coug football. All they have to say is
look at his statistics to justify their statements.

Poorly coached hook and lateral. Awful coaching. Woeful Offense. Terrible. Hideous. Horrible play calling at the end with the hook and lateral. Awful. Total shit. Fire .Petersen. Get rid of Gaskin his backup is better. Tar and feather Kwiatkowski giving up 35 points. Burn Montlake. Overpriced, overpaid coaching.
Huh? Not sure where you are coming from with this but hope it made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You have to wonder what the PAC-12 bowl performance did to the perception of the PAC-12 quarterbacks. Those who played (like Darnell and Browning) didn't look very good. I now doubt Rosen would have faired any better had he played.

The sport's talking heads say Rosen is really smart, his sitting out the bowl game for "concussion protocol" might be the smartest decision he had made in terms of his NFL draft standing

When "they" moved from the old system to the BCS system, it essentially walled off west of the Mississippi from college football. At least with the old system you had set landing spots and match ups at the end of the season for conference champions. That was replaced by an ever more biased popularity contest. The talking heads do their thing, recruits gravitate towards what they see on tv growing up. You add in the fact that the teams in the south have loads of fans that would happily skip a few rent payments to either buy season tickets or donate to their team and you end up where we're at. The old way balanced that out for the most part.

People on the west coast have things to do. College football is one of a long list of activities. Midwest/south don't or if they do, it's way down on the priority list compared to football. It's kind of sad when you really think about it.

I still think the major catalyst to the BCS change was USC kicking everyone's ass even in their house during their run. I'm convinced there was some collusion involved in them getting sanctioned. You can't tell me the SEC isn't and wasn't doing way worse than what SC got popped for.

Lastly I'll just remind everyone that after Auburn beat Alabama in that crazy iron bowl with returned missed FG for a TD, a Bama fan (woman) shot another Bama fan (woman) in the gut with a pistol at an iron bowl trailer park party because she wasn't pissed off enough at the loss! That's what we're dealing with.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Conferences are up and down, depending upon year. Only a couple of years ago, people questioned whether the B10 would ever again compete with the more speed-driven conferences. I think they have laid that concern to rest.

This year the PAC is not up to par. Probably 4th out of the power 5, and the 4th place spot is arguably a tie. Give it a year or two and we'll be back near the top. Chip Kelly is going to do things with UCLA's resources that no other modern coach has done. That alone will push up the conference, and he won't be alone. After he kicks Helton's butt 2-3 times, USC will have a new coach, and that coach (whom ever he is) will be an upgrade. Oregon has enough money to eventually get their coaching failures figured out, as well.

The PAC will be back. If not next year, then the one after that.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Conferences are up and down, depending upon year. Only a couple of years ago, people questioned whether the B10 would ever again compete with the more speed-driven conferences. I think they have laid that concern to rest.

This year the PAC is not up to par. Probably 4th out of the power 5, and the 4th place spot is arguably a tie. Give it a year or two and we'll be back near the top. Chip Kelly is going to do things with UCLA's resources that no other modern coach has done. That alone will push up the conference, and he won't be alone. After he kicks Helton's butt 2-3 times, USC will have a new coach, and that coach (whom ever he is) will be an upgrade. Oregon has enough money to eventually get their coaching failures figured out, as well.

The PAC will be back. If not next year, then the one after that.

With so much talent in UCLA's back yard, Chip might not have to cheat the way he did in Eugene.

I can't believe a school with the history of USC hired a guy like Helton. Coaches at schools like that needs to have their own gravity. Helton is a total dud. He might be a great coach and from all reports is a great man, but that's not enough at that level. If USC is strong, the conference will garner respect. If not, they won't. Chip can turn UCLA into that type of program also. Seriously where would you all put Helton in the list of Pac coaches? somewhere between 6-12. That's not good for the conferences flagship program

Yaki & Mike, it is probably true that, "Once a cheater, always a cheater".

But as Yaki suggested, Chip won't NEED to cheat nearly as much at UCLA. Ergo, he will still do it, but probably much less, and most of that will be directed toward the back yard recruiting competition with USC. One nice thing for the rest of the league, including the Cougs, will be that Chip will use UCLA resources to recruit more nationally. I'd be surprised if he did not have 2 assistants assigned to recruit greater Texas, and probably one more for Florida. That will be easier with 10 assistants. Chip's ego will drive part of that, but it is probably realistic to think that he will get in several 4* & 5* living rooms in TX and FL, so if he picks assistants with connections in those areas you will be able to see it coming from a long way off. That helps the rest of the league, because if Chip pulls in 6-8 kids from those areas, that is 6-8 more available in SoCal for the rest of us.

Orange, re: your Helton comments. The selection made sense at the time. Too many issues flying around internally and Helton was a good answer. Pretty much all of those bodies are now buried, so Helton's honeymoon is over. He will either establish his personal gravitas (which, as you correctly note, is needed there) or be gone after 2 more seasons. What he really needs is an NFL-worthy QB. That is not Darnold; Darnold is a good, solid, servicable PAC level QB but not a regular Sunday performer. Whomever starts after Darnold will be completely on Helton, and if that guy is good enough, then Helton will be here for many years. If not, there will be a new SC coach for the 2020 season.

You have to wonder what the PAC-12 bowl performance did to the perception of the PAC-12 quarterbacks. Those who played (like Darnell and Browning) didn't look very good. I now doubt Rosen would have faired any better had he played.

The sport's talking heads say Rosen is really smart, his sitting out the bowl game for "concussion protocol" might be the smartest decision he had made in terms of his NFL draft standing
The NFL believes that the number of QB starts in college equates to future success.
Rosen seems like a bit of a flake and immature. Might have a career trajectory like Billy Dough Hobert or Timm Rosenbach.

Last edited:
The NFL believes that the number of QB starts in college equates to future success.
Rosen seems like a bit of a flake and immature. Might have a career trajectory like Billy Dough Hobert or Timm Rosenbach.

Knee problems did Rosenbach in. Hobert was a good college QB, but that was all. There are many first round busts at all positions. We all know about Leaf, but there are so many more busts like Akili Smith, JaMarcus Russell, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT