ADVERTISEMENT

Part 2 on WSU spending:

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
According to the 2017 annual report, we spend $1.1B dollars annually.

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/195/2018/03/2017-FinRpt-3-5-18.pdf

A 1% athletic subsidy would balance the athletic budget. Dollars in excess would go to pay back the loan WSU gave athletics and would be used in the general fund.

I'm also curious when the debt for the stadium is paid off.

It feels to me, that overall the university isn't efficiently run...yet Schulz wants to put the spot light on athletics. A classic diversion tactic that reeks of poor leadership.

Reactions: earldacoug
According to the 2017 annual report, we spend $1.1B dollars annually.

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/195/2018/03/2017-FinRpt-3-5-18.pdf

A 1% athletic subsidy would balance the athletic budget. Dollars in excess would go to pay back the loan WSU gave athletics and would be used in the general fund.

I'm also curious when the debt for the stadium is paid off.

It feels to me, that overall the university isn't efficiently run...yet Schulz wants to put the spot light on athletics. A classic diversion tactic that reeks of poor leadership.

Schulz cracked down on spending across the board and not just athletics. I agree that WSU and Schulz should accept that helping sponsor athletics helps the university by raising awareness of WSU but we did go on a spending binge and the DirecTV money never came. That hurts. It isn't anyone's fault at WSU, but it's something that we are stuck with.

I looked for it and can't find it. But as I recall, the most recent activity regarding DirecTV was the "partnership/merging" of DirecTV and AT&T. And one of the issues was the Dir/ATT wanted the conference contract to provide internet. But the problem was/is, each school has it's own internet contract with whatever provider. Last I heard, everything was in a holding pattern until all the schools finished up said contracts so all could join the Dir/ATT world.

A little bit of an "extortion" concept there but... that was the last I heard. I believe DirecTV will come into play, it's now just a long waiting game for negotiations to start up again.

I looked for it and can't find it. But as I recall, the most recent activity regarding DirecTV was the "partnership/merging" of DirecTV and AT&T. And one of the issues was the Dir/ATT wanted the conference contract to provide internet. But the problem was/is, each school has it's own internet contract with whatever provider. Last I heard, everything was in a holding pattern until all the schools finished up said contracts so all could join the Dir/ATT world.

A little bit of an "extortion" concept there but... that was the last I heard. I believe DirecTV will come into play, it's now just a long waiting game for negotiations to start up again.

95, I wish you would "reply" to posts so we know what you are replying to. If "I looked for it" refers to the athletics bond payoff, then you have to go back to previous financial statements to really pin it down. But, Page 56 of the above linked report shows maturities. The revenue bonds issued during the time of the expansion mature in 2037-2041. And if you trot down to large 57, note that the overall principal payments for the various debt jumps starting in 2023 and stays up there for a decade-plus. Could be some lump sum maturies in there wayy down the road (not unusual).

If you are talking about Directv, I have no clue, but have heard nothing that indicates a deal anytime soon. And if there is, we may very well have to give a little on our other deals (Dish, Comcast). Face it - outside of Football season and I guess som einterest in Basketball, the Pac-12 network isn't too exciting. I can only watch the Snow Bowl so many times. Although I did the other night! :)

Oh and one more thing. In terms of an Athletics subsidy as discussed in a previous thread - we are clearly not one of the biggest subsidizers. A coherent decision by WSU to figure out what is reasonable compared to the overall market and Pac-12 and peg ours to that would be reasonable. Taking into account our limited number of sports of course.

95, I wish you would "reply" to posts so we know what you are replying to. If "I looked for it" refers to the athletics bond payoff, then you have to go back to previous financial statements to really pin it down. But, Page 56 of the above linked report shows maturities. The revenue bonds issued during the time of the expansion mature in 2037-2041. And if you trot down to large 57, note that the overall principal payments for the various debt jumps starting in 2023 and stays up there for a decade-plus. Could be some lump sum maturies in there wayy down the road (not unusual).

If you are talking about Directv, I have no clue, but have heard nothing that indicates a deal anytime soon. And if there is, we may very well have to give a little on our other deals (Dish, Comcast). Face it - outside of Football season and I guess som einterest in Basketball, the Pac-12 network isn't too exciting. I can only watch the Snow Bowl so many times. Although I did the other night! :)

Oh and one more thing. In terms of an Athletics subsidy as discussed in a previous thread - we are clearly not one of the biggest subsidizers. A coherent decision by WSU to figure out what is reasonable compared to the overall market and Pac-12 and peg ours to that would be reasonable. Taking into account our limited number of sports of course.
There was nothing to "reply" to because yes, I was referring to what I posted, the DirecTV issue and the reference of AT&T wanting conference contract. Sorry for the confusion.

I think it's on it's way. We're just in the middle of a tunnel, waiting for all of the schools contracts to terminate. No one is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but it's there. There will be a good year of negotiations. It won't be as good as projected because the whole floor is falling away in regards to sports. But it will be a increase for the Network, thus the schools.

There was nothing to "reply" to because yes, I was referring to what I posted, the DirecTV issue and the reference of AT&T wanting conference contract. Sorry for the confusion.

I think it's on it's way. We're just in the middle of a tunnel, waiting for all of the schools contracts to terminate. No one is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but it's there. There will be a good year of negotiations. It won't be as good as projected because the whole floor is falling away in regards to sports. But it will be a increase for the Network, thus the schools.

Gawd let's hope so. OK, gotta get some work done now......:rolleyes:

The last estimate of revenue per school from a Direct TV/AT&T deal was $3 million, maybe $4 million. That would cover Leach's salary, but it isn't going to wipe out the red, most of which is the long-term financing of the two building projects (FOB/press box/luxury suites/bar-restaurant services).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT