ADVERTISEMENT

Petey to Miami!

I would be turning cartwheels in the backyard if that was so but I doubt it. The silver lining is that I'm too old to do any cartwheels without bodily damage. You are right though that it would be a major coup for Miami as Petersen is a good one.

As mentioned elsewhere, Cristobal is a natural choice. Floridian, excellent recruiter who is improving the U. of O. On Miami's plus side Leach does have a Summer (Spring?) home there and is an excellent coach. On their down side, he is quirky- i.e. a real headcase is some estimations. Frankly, I don't see him as a good fit in any major city.

Being a Trump supporter in any major urban setting makes him even less desirable. Some may pooh-pooh this but politics has a tendency to raise its ugly head in many otherwise irrelevant situations. Liberal Arts faculties are overwhelmingly on the political left and generally have little use for athletics anyway. Hiring CML would cause a reaction from significant disagreement to downright outrage from that section of the faculty and some of the student body as well. Just look at the U. of Tenn. when their selection turned out to have been on the same staff that hired Sandusky. That indirect discredit cost the guy his job there. Not the setting for a new coaching staff to walk into.

Not saying that Mike would turn down a significant increase in salary if offered and endure the other factors but I do not see it. Coaching salaries are the primary dick measuring contest in college sports and Mike does like to win and improve his stature. Just don't see it but I have been wrong before.

Reactions: taf88
If Miami offers Leach is gone along with a few of his assistants.Lets hope Miami turns to Cristobal.

The Pullman to Miami pipeline is a proven winner
An AD and a head coach (resulting in a national championship).
I'm sure this will be in the back of the minds of many UM fans, longing for the good old days...

Gird thy loins. The invaders will come. They will come in jet planes loaded with gold. They will come with promises beyond belief. They will come without a doubt.

And should they leave with their intended conquest, so be it. Thanks for the memories and kiss my ass.

But should the target stay, let’s do it again. That was fun.

Gird thy loins. The invaders will come. They will come in jet planes loaded with gold. They will come with promises beyond belief. They will come without a doubt.

And should they leave with their intended conquest, so be it. Thanks for the memories and kiss my ass.

That’s something I see as a factor. Leach enjoyed this season too. He’s got a good group of kids, does he want to leave? Yes, money talks...but I’m not convinced that money is Leach’s strongest motivator.

That’s something I see as a factor. Leach enjoyed this season too. He’s got a good group of kids, does he want to leave? Yes, money talks...but I’m not convinced that money is Leach’s strongest motivator.

Five to six million bucks per year is a very strong motivator.

Miami would show up with the turnover chain. Can you imagine a Leach coached team running around throwing that thing around their necks?

I would imagine Leach is a legitimate target. And it’s a concern considering the proximity to a place he likes to spend a lot of his down time. And Miami could pony up.

You and Ed should jump into your speedos and take the Hot Tub Time Machine back to 1988.
Why are you so sensitive . We have a good coach and I could see teams that have interest. If he would have a convo with Tennessee he would listen to Miami don’t you think ?

Why are you so sensitive . We have a good coach and I could see teams that have interest. If he would have a convo with Tennessee he would listen to Miami don’t you think ?

I’m not sensitive. I’m making fun of you and ElC.

Our fan base is so funny and shouldn’t worry so much, good grief. The popular narrative in athletic departments is that Leach is damaged goods. One AD already lost their job due in large part to his attempt at hiring Leach. The fact of the matter, is that a Blue Blood school isn’t going to bring in a risky coach who will promptly fire everyone (see book), run the current players out of the school, and refuse to rub the big boosters backs. I won’t even get into Tyler or the heavy support for Trump. Leach fits in at WSU and really nowhere else. I could see Nebraska coming for him if it doesn’t work out with Frost because of Moos, who is lazy when it comes to hiring. It would take another desperate power 5 school to hire him, then he’s starting over with most likely worse facilities. I can’t see Leach wanting a G5 job unless he’s getting close to retirement and wanting a hobby close to Key West.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougzz and kougkurt
Oh I guess I need to be more in tune when someone is making fun of me .
wooden-fence-post1.jpg

Reactions: taf88
Our fan base is so funny and shouldn’t worry so much, good grief. The popular narrative in athletic departments is that Leach is damaged goods. One AD already lost their job due in large part to his attempt at hiring Leach. The fact of the matter, is that a Blue Blood school isn’t going to bring in a risky coach who will promptly fire everyone (see book), run the current players out of the school, and refuse to rub the big boosters backs. I won’t even get into Tyler or the heavy support for Trump. Leach fits in at WSU and really nowhere else. I could see Nebraska coming for him if it doesn’t work out with Frost because of Moos, who is lazy when it comes to hiring. It would take another desperate power 5 school to hire him, then he’s starting over with most likely worse facilities. I can’t see Leach wanting a G5 job unless he’s getting close to retirement and wanting a hobby close to Key West.
Frost is working out just fine. Cornhusker fans will tell you they wouldn't trade Frost for Saban right now.

It is the AD’s who are damaged goods . Who said anyone is worried? It is conversation. Nick Sabam left LSU. Kelly left Oregon. Carroll left USC. Coaches leave. Walden left WSU.

The fact Leach has done what he has done he deserves to be looked at. He should garner interest .

The AD’s are the crazy ones. Yeah he is outspoken. Yes he needs to be managed. But if you leave him alone he tends to go along the right path .

I still have friends in Maryland who are still upset they passed on him years ago and they are even more angry he wasn’t in the conversation recently .

Reactions: earldacoug
It is the AD’s who are damaged goods . Who said anyone is worried? It is conversation. Nick Sabam left LSU. Kelly left Oregon. Carroll left USC. Coaches leave. Walden left WSU.

The fact Leach has done what he has done he deserves to be looked at. He should garner interest .

The AD’s are the crazy ones. Yeah he is outspoken. Yes he needs to be managed. But if you leave him alone he tends to go along the right path .

I still have friends in Maryland who are still upset they passed on him years ago and they are even more angry he wasn’t in the conversation recently .

You don’t need to sell anything to me, or make excuses as to why..... I stand by my post. You’ll have to live with Leach until he retires, or decides to take up a hobby.

Last edited:

If Walden left WSU, how could we ever expect anyone to stay....

Thank goodness we had Wulff for four years.

You don’t need to sell anything to me, or make excuses as to why..... I stand by my post. You’ll have to live with Leach until he retires, or decides to take up a hobby.
What am I selling other than mike leach is a fantastic coach. You can stand by your post doesn’t change the fact Mike Leach will be discussed at various openings and not sure where you think people are “worried”. It is discussed no more no less .

And yes I will be more than happy to live with Lesch being our coach for as long as he wants to be here .

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
If Walden left WSU, how could we ever expect anyone to stay....

Thank goodness we had Wulff for four years.

News flash coaches leave . That was my only point . Leach one day will leave as well.

And it may change the near future if he does it doesn’t change WSU football . Coaches are simply a placeholder . Some much better than others but like with anything life goes on, thus there is no worry but simply being discussed .

My guess is that CML will choose to work until he is about 67...roughly 10 more years...assuming his health stays good. He likes to work and likes what he is doing. At this point in his life he likes what Pullman offers in terms of quality of life, which by his definition WSU/Pullman provides and a big media spotlight and/or urban setting would not. He has two talents in particular that separate him from the mass of coaches. One, he is an offensive visionary. Two, he is a good talent evaluator, both for athletes and assistant coaches. I am not sure if you could call him a player's coach, exactly, but he certainly is an assistant's coach. He respects his assistants, is straight with them, listens to them and doesn't micromanage. He attracts good assistants and over time he is able to weed out the ones that don't work out and replace the ones that go on to more responsible positions. And good guys who would be viewed as damaged goods by many seem eager to work for Leach...Claeys and Spurrier are two examples. Leave Leach in place for long enough and there will be no weak spots on the staff, which leads to more wins and better recruiting (those two are pretty simultaneous; sort of a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" discussion). At this point he has WSU ready to continuously compete for the PAC north, which means he has WSU ready to compete for the PAC title every year. We have not gotten there yet, but each year we are closer, and each year we are a tougher out for the others. Just ask yourself...how do Oregon or Stanford think about preparing to play WSU? Do you think SC is overconfident? Do you think that anyone at Utah counts on getting a win when we play? Give us a little more size with similar speed on the D line and one more good HS cornerback each year and we will solidify our position.

Finally, offense is not the only area where Leach shows vision. He had us very well positioned for the early recruiting deadline, understanding its implications better than many other head coaches. Instead of only signing half a class (or less) while fighting for some entitled kids that want to play out the drama to the last minute, he sewed up a group of his usual kids, chosen based on his evaluation of their work ethic and potential. Those kids are now off the table and other programs won't be in a position to poach them when their efforts elsewhere fail. We've been in the top third of the league for a while now in terms of won/lost. Ergo, unless we are much better position coaches and game strategy coaches than the rest of the league, our recruiting classes have also consistently been in the top third. Of course, this suggests that the recruiting gurus are not as good at evaluating talent as Mike Leach, but that should not be a surprise, since it is obviously so.

We even have a president and AD that seem to by and large understand reality.

Mike Leach has WSU on track for where he wants us to be, and while I never say never, I can't conceive of something realistically becoming available (all things considered) that would seriously tempt him to move.

What am I selling other than mike leach is a fantastic coach. You can stand by your post doesn’t change the fact Mike Leach will be discussed at various openings and not sure where you think people are “worried”. It is discussed no more no less .

And yes I will be more than happy to live with Lesch being our coach for as long as he wants to be here .

If these Lesch and Sabam guys turn out to be anything like Leach and Saban, they'll become hot prospects in the coaching profession ...

News flash coaches leave . That was my only point . Leach one day will leave as well.

And it may change the near future if he does it doesn’t change WSU football . Coaches are simply a placeholder . Some much better than others but like with anything life goes on, thus there is no worry but simply being discussed .

What, no girlfriend analogy here?

Except that you continually bring up Leach leaving. A reasonable person could conclude you’re hoping it happens.

And if you want to bring up an example of a coach’s departure, Walden is a terrible choice.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Except that you continually bring up Leach leaving. A reasonable person could conclude you’re hoping it happens.

And if you want to bring up an example of a coach’s departure, Walden is a terrible choice.[/QUOTE

No I bring up he is a candidate for a job.

Did you go blind enjoying the thought of Wulff on a lifetime contract?

Candidate for what job? He’s never been mentioned as someone known to be contacted by any of the schools. Now you’re making shit up.

If that is a definition of a potential candidate you are correct. So when it is written Van Josephs a candidate for the Browns job, unless it is confirmed by someone in the organization then he really isnt a candidate. Was Leach a potential candidate for the Tenn job?

If that is a definition of a potential candidate you are correct. So when it is written Van Josephs a candidate for the Browns job, unless it is confirmed by someone in the organization then he really isnt a candidate. Was Leach a potential candidate for the Tenn job?

I assume he meant this year.

I assume he meant this year.

I am know what he meant. If what upsets people is I should say a potential candidate or will have his name associated with the opening then I stand corrected if that somehow chances the context. When people say someone is a "candidate" or potential candidate typically that info isn't coming from the organization or the coach, so it is speculation on several factors.

I think these AD's are crazy to pass on a guy like Leach. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they do, but in 2008 if you were WSU would you have given the job to Robb Akey or ask Leach to interview? Diaz is Robb Akey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT