ADVERTISEMENT

play calling and lack of discipline are themes for me

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
I’m putting this on the coaches not the kids.

Brink on the radio was puzzled on the 4th and 3 play call to send 4 wideouts 10 yards down field.

JDL is careless with the ball. First quarter of SC should have shown this. Fumble by max. Dropped balls.

offensive staff needs to figure it out. Definitely going backward from leach.

I’m putting this on the coaches not the kids.

Brink on the radio was puzzled on the 4th and 3 play call to send 4 wideouts 10 yards down field.

JDL is careless with the ball. First quarter of SC should have shown this. Fumble by max. Dropped balls.

offensive staff needs to figure it out. Definitely going backward from leach.
Offensive head coaches and QBs are tied together at the hip. I agree whatever happened at HT was a massive fail for Rolo, and for me is a giant red flag thinking about the future. But it’s also a bad sign at QB if DeLaura is going to be the starter IMO.
He’s still really young obviously but...oy

Coaches need to pound the it’s zero zero at half. I’d be curious how giddy they allow that locker room to be. That’s because they can control that.

JDL may be a great talent. But if he’s careless. That’s bad. I don’t know any good coach that’s going to allow that to happen. Rolo seems like this is part of the process kind of guy. Let them play loose. He’s got time but he’s gonna lose support quick from the fans.

That’s probably because Rolo and company had 20 days to install an offense and find a QB to try and run it. No matter who was back there they play calling was going to be very basic. Air Raid looked like crap in 2012 and was with a Spring Ball and a fall practice. When Leach was hire a ton of people thought that Jeff Tuel was the next Graham Harrell and Marquis Wilson was the next Crabtree. Yea, how did that turn out?

I feel people are looking way too far into this for a season that only played 4 games out of 7, but do whatever makes you’re comfortable.

Things you can control are not making mistakes and the mindset to take care of the ball. Too much focus on excuses.
Yeah I get the ...no spring ball, lack of practices, etc. I think that was a huge contributor in USC. DeLaura hadn’t practiced much at all among others. And yeah Utah made some adjustments, and we didn’t re-adjust well enough. But they were moving the ball pretty damn well in the first half. On pace for 500+ yards. Not sure how you can watch what transpired in the second half offensively and not attribute it to a complete lack of focus walking out of the locker room. Who carries the weight of responsibility for it is another argument.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Yeah I get the ...no spring ball, lack of practices, etc. I think that was a huge contributor in USC. DeLaura hadn’t practiced much at all among others. And yeah Utah made some adjustments, and we didn’t re-adjust well enough. But they were moving the ball pretty damn well in the first half. On pace for 500+ yards. Not sure how you can watch what transpired in the second half offensively and not attribute it to a complete lack of focus walking out of the locker room. Who carries the weight of responsibility for it is another argument.

Exactly. Was not hearing much about the short time frame to install the offense etc., when they had 28pts. at half time. People really can not it have it both ways.

The problem that is glaring in all of these games is this staff has zero clue on how to make in game adjustments in a conference like the Pac. 12. That is what you miss most in a veteran coach and maybe Rolo will get there , but he is not showing it now.

Also Rolo needs to tap down on the player's coach/buddy routine. Not saying going full hard a** Leach is the answer but he needs to find an edge or you are going to see more of the same inconsistent performances next year. Tiresome to hear his post game laments about "the kids" this "the kids" that. Snowflake fans may not get it but this is friggin football and there needs to a certain hard edge to a program and how it is coached.

Exactly. Was not hearing much about the short time frame to install the offense etc., when they had 28pts. at half time. People really can not it have it both ways.

The problem that is glaring in all of these games is this staff has zero clue on how to make in game adjustments in a conference like the Pac. 12. That is what you miss most in a veteran coach and maybe Rolo will get there , but he is not showing it now.

Also Rolo needs to tap down on the player's coach/buddy routine. Not saying going full hard a** Leach is the answer but he needs to find an edge or you are going to see more of the same inconsistent performances next year. Tiresome to hear his post game laments about "the kids" this "the kids" that. Snowflake fans may not get it but this is friggin football and there needs to a certain hard edge to a program and how it is coached.

For some guys, they cannot effectively lead people if they are friends with them. Not saying you can't joke around or have fun. But some coaches are able to do that while everyone knows they will be fired or have their scholarship taken if they do not perform.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
The 28 points at halftime was a bit of a mirage. Just like the UO game, if the opponent doesn't turn the ball over 3 times, we don't have a halftime lead. Turnovers work both ways– we get boat raced in the first half vs. USC because of fumbles/interceptions....and it happened again (4 times!) in the second half of yesterday's game. What hurt Utah in the first half helped them in the second half.

Nevertheless, I agree with most everyone and it's been clear to me that WSU is getting schooled during halftime. Adjustments are made by the other teams and our staff is not able to adjust to their adjustments once the second half begins. That needs to change.

Glad Cougar

What I saw in all of the games was linked to a true freshman QB and a system that was never fully implemented.

In 3/4 games, the offense came out of the gate strong and ran the scripted game plan effectively. JDL knew where to go with the ball and he was on time with his throws. In the 2nd half, when the defenses adjusted, we couldn’t respond. JDL isn’t yet capable of moving formations accordingly.

The same thing happened at SC, except it was at the start of the game. SC changed their defense and blew our script out of the water early.

There’s a reason why so many coaches refuse to go with true freshman QBs.

What I saw in all of the games was linked to a true freshman QB and a system that was never fully implemented.

In 3/4 games, the offense came out of the gate strong and ran the scripted game plan effectively. JDL knew where to go with the ball and he was on time with his throws. In the 2nd half, when the defenses adjusted, we couldn’t respond. JDL isn’t yet capable of moving formations accordingly.

The same thing happened at SC, except it was at the start of the game. SC changed their defense and blew our script out of the water early.

There’s a reason why so many coaches refuse to go with true freshman QBs.
Well it’s not going to get any easier next year when there’s crowd noise. I know he’s young but throw in crowd noise and having to move protections or change a play at UW, Oregon, Utah, etc...these are about the easiest conditions you are gonna get for that stuff.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Well it’s not going to get any easier next year when there’s crowd noise. I know he’s young but throw in crowd noise and having to move protections or change a play at UW, Oregon, Utah, etc...these are about the easiest conditions you are gonna get for that stuff.

This is a very highly regarded kid who’s had literally 2 months in the system. To even hint at this point that he’s not going to develop is ludicrous. I’m not saying YOU’RE suggesting that, but some people are.

JDL had offers from Ohio State and SC. He played QB for the most competitive high school on the West coast in terms of producing D1 QBs. He had no Spring ball, the facilities were closed for the summer, and 8 weeks of Fall camp. He had COVID and multiple weeks between games.

I’ve read a lot of crazy commentary on message boards over the years, but the “analysis” on JDL is literally the most ridiculous I’ve ever read.

This is a very highly regarded kid who’s had literally 2 months in the system. To even hint at this point that he’s not going to develop is ludicrous. I’m not saying YOU’RE suggesting that, but some people are.

JDL had offers from Ohio State and SC. He played QB for the most competitive high school on the West coast in terms of producing D1 QBs. He had no Spring ball, the facilities were closed for the summer, and 8 weeks of Fall camp. He had COVID and multiple weeks between games.

I’ve read a lot of crazy commentary on message boards over the years, but the “analysis” on JDL is literally the most ridiculous I’ve ever read.
You’re missing my point. He’s absolutely going to develop physically. And he’s already gifted. Is he a field general? Yesterday looked like he allowed his unit to come out of the locker room and shit themselves. You can’t coach leadership. If he’s not a leader (i.e. ok with that BS yesterday) he can develop as much as he wants to physically, it won’t mean a damn thing. You simply can’t check out mentally for a quarter or half at this level. And yesterday he did.

You’re missing my point. He’s absolutely going to develop physically. And he’s already gifted. Is he a field general? Yesterday looked like he allowed his unit to come out of the locker room and shit themselves. You can’t coach leadership. If he’s not a leader (i.e. ok with that BS yesterday) he can develop as much as he wants to physically, it won’t mean a damn thing. You simply can’t check out mentally for a quarter or half at this level. And yesterday he did.

So you’re on the record as saying we should move on from him? That’s what it sounds like.

So you’re on the record as saying we should move on from him? That’s what it sounds like.
Not at all. I’m on the record as saying that it should be a wide open QB competition based on what we saw this year. And if DeLaura wants this to be his team he has that opportunity. I’m also on the record as saying when your puppy shits on the carpet you don’t pat him on the head and say “it’s ok champ, you’ll figure it out”. You rub his face in it so he smells it and doesn’t do it again.

I’m also on the record as saying when your puppy shits on the carpet you don’t pat him on the head and say “it’s ok champ, you’ll figure it out”. You rub his face in it so he smells it and doesn’t do it again.
90, do you think RoLo is the kind of coach who will “use the stick instead of the carrot” as the saying goes?

He comes across more as a “let’s have fun and keep things loose” coach like Mike Price often seemed to be.

90, do you think RoLo is the kind of coach who will “use the stick instead of the carrot” as the saying goes?

He comes across more as a “let’s have fun and keep things loose” coach like Mike Price often seemed to be.

Rolo is MP-lite with a lower ceiling.

Rolo is MP-lite with a lower ceiling.

You know that based off of 4 games in a COVID year? Mike Price, who is my favorite coach in our history, came from Weber State and lost his last 4 games in 1989 after a 6-1 start and went 3-8 including a 55-10 home Apple Cup loss the next season. In 1991, he went 4-7 and gave up 50+ again in another Apple Cup drubbing. It looked for sure that he was running Dennis Ericksons momentum into the ground.

You know that based off of 4 games in a COVID year? Mike Price, who is my favorite coach in our history, came from Weber State and lost his last 4 games in 1989 after a 6-1 start and went 3-8 including a 55-10 home Apple Cup loss the next season. In 1991, he went 4-7 and gave up 50+ again in another Apple Cup drubbing. It looked for sure that he was running Dennis Ericksons momentum into the ground.
He was but to be fair was saddled with problems left behind from Jim Walden under Jim Livengood's watch (Erickson less so - if you best player's parents work for the AD and he doesn't go to school...)
Price had Mike Zimmer (current Viking coach) as DC, Joe Tiller (Purdue Rose Bowl coach) as OC, Doba as LB coach. Sumlin as a GA also Greg Olson current Vegas Raiders OC also as GA (not that GA's mean much)
Btw, WSU actually led after one quarter in the 1991 Apple Cup. That is why Miami was the real MNC in 1991 - if you weren't drubbing the 1991 WSU team at home from the git-go, you aren't elite.

I have no idea and I don’t want to speculate cuz I haven’t met him and I didn’t follow Hawaii football- on the surface it sure seems like it. Yes MP was a “players coach” and sort of an approachable grandfatherly figure, but he could also let her rip when he knew he needed to. I personally don’t think being a players coach is bad either. I’d say Pete Carroll is a players coach. But with that approach you are also counting on intense player leadership...self policing/accountability. Those guys need to emerge, and usually your QB is one of them.
I’m also not saying Jalen isn’t that guy. I’d say recent example to look at- Minshew. His arm didn’t blow you away but you knew he was gonna compete his ass off for 60 minutes, and you could clearly see it was his team- he made everyone around him better. If I’m Rolo that’s the kind of thing I’m expecting from Jayden...or whoever my QB is. And I don’t have a starter till I find it.

It's what I believed when Rolo was hired too. My gut tells me we don't see 10+ wins from a Rolo team at WSU and just don't see him as the guy to take WSU football to the next level. I would love to be proved wrong, I'm not rooting for him to lose. And if I am wrong, I'll have no problem admitting that I was.

Whether it's fair or not, I don't know if 6-5, 3-8, and 4-7 (13-20, and before there were a ton of bowl games) in the first three years at a university gets you a fourth year at a lot of programs now. And yes, I recognize that Leach was 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 (12-25) in his first three seasons at the helm (with a bowl game in Y2).

It's what I believed when Rolo was hired too. My gut tells me we don't see 10+ wins from a Rolo team at WSU and just don't see him as the guy to take WSU football to the next level. I would love to be proved wrong, I'm not rooting for him to lose. And if I am wrong, I'll have no problem admitting that I was.

Whether it's fair or not, I don't know if 6-5, 3-8, and 4-7 (13-20, and before there were a ton of bowl games) in the first three years at a university gets you a fourth year at a lot of programs now. And yes, I recognize that Leach was 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 (12-25) in his first three seasons at the helm (with a bowl game in Y2).
Think it also kinda depends what’s in the cupboard. Leach had the worst roster of talent in the conference by a long ways when he took over. Rolo doesn’t have that problem. He’s got capable players at most positions.
I still think defensively we will be in great shape with Dickert. Rolo is an offensive guy so if that group makes it a habit of going MIA, he answers for it. That said I agree this season is a throwaway. No spring ball, different guys out every week, disruptions galore. Next year is year 1 and there’s enough to work with that it shouldn’t be a “rebuilding” year. If Rolo is earning his check this is a 6 win team minimum, especially with this pre-season year.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Think it also kinda depends what’s in the cupboard. Leach had the worst roster of talent in the conference by a long ways when he took over. Rolo doesn’t have that problem. He’s got capable players at most positions.
I still think defensively we will be in great shape with Dickert. Rolo is an offensive guy so if that group makes it a habit of going MIA, he answers for it. That said I agree this season is a throwaway. No spring ball, different guys out every week, disruptions galore. Next year is year 1 and there’s enough to work with that it shouldn’t be a “rebuilding” year. If Rolo is earning his check this is a 6 win team minimum, especially with this pre-season year.

The pieces are in place for a new QB to step in. Just like they were with Falk, Minshew and Gordon. The Iron Law that requires a three year rebuild in those circumstances has not been revealed to me.

The pieces are in place for a new QB to step in. Just like they were with Falk, Minshew and Gordon. The Iron Law that requires a three year rebuild in those circumstances has not been revealed to me.

I keep hearing talk about how Rolo might not be the guy, but strangely, the talk on Dickert is nearly all optimistic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm offering Dickert the same pass this year that I am Rolo, but the defensive performance this season was hardly inspiring. Oregon State moved the ball at will against us in the 2nd half. Oregon ran up and down the field. USC blew us off the field in the 1st quarter, and we had no answers for Utah once they stopped giving the ball to us.

I attribute a lot of that to COVID depth issues and lack of time to implement the new scheme, but Rolo isn't the guy and Dickert is? Internet analysis is always good for a laugh.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I keep hearing talk about how Rolo might not be the guy, but strangely, the talk on Dickert is nearly all optimistic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm offering Dickert the same pass this year that I am Rolo, but the defensive performance this season was hardly inspiring. Oregon State moved the ball at will against us in the 2nd half. Oregon ran up and down the field. USC blew us off the field in the 1st quarter, and we had no answers for Utah once they stopped giving the ball to us.

I attribute a lot of that to COVID depth issues and lack of time to implement the new scheme, but Rolo isn't the guy and Dickert is? Internet analysis is always good for a laugh.

Recency bias? 2019 was bad. Hope? Like Princess Leia said, it's not over yet.

I think we have the pieces on the defensive side to improve. DTs and CBs were obviously needed. Watson and Chau look capable. The bodies appear to be there at DT, and have decent rotation. They may not be great, but serviceable.

Just looking at stats you’re going to say the defense is comparable to last year. Here’s my rationale in liking what I see. Defensive lineman in the backfield. Pressure on the QB. Our best player, JW, getting freed up because of a solid scheme to make plays in space...JW was lost last year, and it wasn’t his fault. DBs turning around and making plays on the ball. DBs with recovery speed, breaking on the ball, and drilling receivers quickly after a catch. Offenses not being able to easily make pre snap reads because of the scheme.
The second half in the Utah game was not on the defense. Any defense under those circumstances will wilt. I felt all along like the defense was really close this year, even after the first half of SC. If the offense has a pulse in the second half against Utah, I think you have 6 straight quarters to be pretty optimistic about the D.

This is a blanket statement that applies to 3 of our games this year - Oregon State, Oregon, and Utah. In all 3 games, the opposing offense just wasn't quite making connections in the first half. Go back and look at the games - there were openings, they just weren't finding them. We were getting some pressure, forcing mistakes, and their offense was missing the open man. After the half, they managed to contain our pressure better and starting finding running lanes and open receivers. Simultaneously, their defensive adjustments shut down our offense.

Some of that could be a freshman QB and a lack of practice, but in all 3 of those games, I can't really say that we changed anything for the second half. We didn't anticipate defensive adjustments, we didn't fix what wasn't working. That's on coaching, and 3 games makes a trend....and one that concerns me. Even when you're ahead 28-7 at the half, you have some adjustments you can make...and you always have to try to adjust to what you expect the other team to do. If you give a "keep doing what you're doing" speech at halftime, you just gave your team license to slack off.

Even in our 1 win this season, the Beavers put things together in the 4th quarter. In the first 2.5 quarters, they got 1 TD on 7 possessions (not counting the one that ended the half). In the late 3rd & 4th, they had 3 TDs in 4 possessions. They went from 3/11 on 3rd down in the 3 quarters to 5/5 in the fourth. Their defensive changes weren't as effective - we got 3 TDs in 5 possessions in the 2nd half (although 2 of those were short fields), but we went from 50% on 3rd down in the 1st half (3/6) to 25% in the second (1/4) and 0/2 in the 4th. Gebbia completed 58% for 90 yards in the first half, and was sacked twice in 19 dropbacks. In the second half, he completed 77% for 239 and was sacked twice in 33 dropbacks. 10 OSU first downs in the first half, 19 in the second. I really think that in this game, the Beavers just ran out of time. We were getting less effective against them, and they were getting more effective against us. Every other team we played either copied their blueprint or had enough additional talent to make effective corrections earlier in the game. If the Beavers did it one exchange sooner, I think maybe we're 0-4 instead of 1-3.

Reactions: Coug90
This is a blanket statement that applies to 3 of our games this year - Oregon State, Oregon, and Utah. In all 3 games, the opposing offense just wasn't quite making connections in the first half. Go back and look at the games - there were openings, they just weren't finding them. We were getting some pressure, forcing mistakes, and their offense was missing the open man. After the half, they managed to contain our pressure better and starting finding running lanes and open receivers. Simultaneously, their defensive adjustments shut down our offense.

Some of that could be a freshman QB and a lack of practice, but in all 3 of those games, I can't really say that we changed anything for the second half. We didn't anticipate defensive adjustments, we didn't fix what wasn't working. That's on coaching, and 3 games makes a trend....and one that concerns me. Even when you're ahead 28-7 at the half, you have some adjustments you can make...and you always have to try to adjust to what you expect the other team to do. If you give a "keep doing what you're doing" speech at halftime, you just gave your team license to slack off.

Even in our 1 win this season, the Beavers put things together in the 4th quarter. In the first 2.5 quarters, they got 1 TD on 7 possessions (not counting the one that ended the half). In the late 3rd & 4th, they had 3 TDs in 4 possessions. They went from 3/11 on 3rd down in the 3 quarters to 5/5 in the fourth. Their defensive changes weren't as effective - we got 3 TDs in 5 possessions in the 2nd half (although 2 of those were short fields), but we went from 50% on 3rd down in the 1st half (3/6) to 25% in the second (1/4) and 0/2 in the 4th. Gebbia completed 58% for 90 yards in the first half, and was sacked twice in 19 dropbacks. In the second half, he completed 77% for 239 and was sacked twice in 33 dropbacks. 10 OSU first downs in the first half, 19 in the second. I really think that in this game, the Beavers just ran out of time. We were getting less effective against them, and they were getting more effective against us. Every other team we played either copied their blueprint or had enough additional talent to make effective corrections earlier in the game. If the Beavers did it one exchange sooner, I think maybe we're 0-4 instead of 1-3.
I share your concern here. While I’m excited about the things I’ve seen that look different, the 2nd half adjustments thing is puzzling. In a lot of ways that’s where you set yourself apart as a coach is in-game adjustments. Hopefully a Covid anomaly that extends to disrupted practices, player availability, etc.

I think Rolo might need to round out his offensive staff at some point. They'll get a pass this year. But to the original post, I just don't feel like the play calling and half time adjustments take into account what the opponent might be doing.

We aren't comparing apples to apples. Dickert inherited an awful defense and faced opt outs, transfers and injuries. He needed to burn a timeout because we were short on bodies against Utah. Despite the challenges, we discovered quite a few pieces who can help in the future and we have a better idea of what we'll need to do in order to improve. I'm excited to see what we have going forward. Based on four games, Dickert's done nothing to concern me other than a weak gameplan against USC which they adjusted at the half.

The bar for this year was pretty low and only one side of the ball cleared it.

Reactions: Coug90
I share your concern here. While I’m excited about the things I’ve seen that look different, the 2nd half adjustments thing is puzzling. In a lot of ways that’s where you set yourself apart as a coach is in-game adjustments. Hopefully a Covid anomaly that extends to disrupted practices, player availability, etc.

The offense didn't lose a single contributor to Covid. The run and shoot requires a lot of communication between QB and receiver so I don't think we'll develop much depth which becomes a problem if anyone gets hurt.

We aren't comparing apples to apples. Dickert inherited an awful defense and faced opt outs, transfers and injuries. He needed to burn a timeout because we were short on bodies against Utah. Despite the challenges, we discovered quite a few pieces who can help in the future and we have a better idea of what we'll need to do in order to improve. I'm excited to see what we have going forward. Based on four games, Dickert's done nothing to concern me other than a weak gameplan against USC which they adjusted at the half.

The bar for this year was pretty low and only one side of the ball cleared it.
Well said. You are more articulate than me.

The offense didn't lose a single contributor to Covid. The run and shoot requires a lot of communication between QB and receiver so I don't think we'll develop much depth which becomes a problem if anyone gets hurt.

Think of how awful it will be when the QB leaves.... Probably a good seven year rebuild.

Just looking at stats you’re going to say the defense is comparable to last year. Here’s my rationale in liking what I see. Defensive lineman in the backfield. Pressure on the QB. Our best player, JW, getting freed up because of a solid scheme to make plays in space...JW was lost last year, and it wasn’t his fault. DBs turning around and making plays on the ball. DBs with recovery speed, breaking on the ball, and drilling receivers quickly after a catch. Offenses not being able to easily make pre snap reads because of the scheme.
The second half in the Utah game was not on the defense. Any defense under those circumstances will wilt. I felt all along like the defense was really close this year, even after the first half of SC. If the offense has a pulse in the second half against Utah, I think you have 6 straight quarters to be pretty optimistic about the D.

After last year, I am just happy the DB's are in the tv screen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT