ADVERTISEMENT

Plenty to see here regarding Gubrud.

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
More than 11 minutes of highlights from the 2016 EWU-WSU game. The QB keeper at 10:53 is something Leach probably remembers well, in addition to all the quick and accurate short and intermediate throws.

I've watched quite a few EWU games the last few years - and Gubrud is flat out fast. Minshew was quick but Gubrud has wheels.

He'd be a good get.

What I see is great wheels, including elusiveness out of the pocket; a bit of a tendency to get happy feet, though early movement out of the pocket may be a normal part of the EWU game plan and not a lack of confidence in pocket integrity; good field vision; good decision making; and a lot of balls thrown high, low, behind, etc., the receiver. Always catchable balls if the receiver has good hands, but in the footage shown the number of completions would be a lot fewer if the receivers were not helping so much. Go back and do a quick count of how many completions could be taken in stride without jumping, reaching back, picking it up a foot off the ground, etc. Not a knock on him, just the facts. It is now 2 years later, and he may have improved in that area by now.

He reminds me of Utah's QB of a couple of years ago (Troy Williams), but with much better field vision. Maybe better decisions; hard to tell, since field vision is a foundation for decision making. I suspect that this has always been a big strength of Gubrud's game, and it has probably really helped his decision making, which seems to be pretty consistently good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT