ADVERTISEMENT

Poaching Baylor recruits

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
A thought has occurred to me that Leach and staff might be interested in poaching some of Baylor's recruits. Actually, since about half their commits have decommitted since Briles' ouster they would not be "poached" per se. Both programs place high emphasis on the passing aspect of offense so perhaps some of the kids would be good fits for us.

Also some of their incoming freshmen are deciding to not matriculate at Baylor. It has been suggested and I find it logical that the school is in no position to create a fuss about granting a waiver of the LOI. Thus these non-reporting prospective freshmen would be eligible to transfer immediately to another school without penalty. Among those deciding to transfer are two 4* linemen, a guard and a tackle. Would we be interested? I am assuming that the individuals concerned have no character issues such as brought the Bears down in the first place.

I remember when June Jones was openly anticipating becoming ASU's HC and then that fell through that Leach immediately went after SMU's vulnerable recruits with a vengeance. Could some of the same happen here? Do we have any available scholarship slots for freshmen transfers? Anyone hear any rumors regarding this?

A thought has occurred to me that Leach and staff might be interested in poaching some of Baylor's recruits. Actually, since about half their commits have decommitted since Briles' ouster they would not be "poached" per se. Both programs place high emphasis on the passing aspect of offense so perhaps some of the kids would be good fits for us.

Also some of their incoming freshmen are deciding to not matriculate at Baylor. It has been suggested and I find it logical that the school is in no position to create a fuss about granting a waiver of the LOI. Thus these non-reporting prospective freshmen would be eligible to transfer immediately to another school without penalty. Among those deciding to transfer are two 4* linemen, a guard and a tackle. Would we be interested? I am assuming that the individuals concerned have no character issues such as brought the Bears down in the first place.

I remember when June Jones was openly anticipating becoming ASU's HC and then that fell through that Leach immediately went after SMU's vulnerable recruits with a vengeance. Could some of the same happen here? Do we have any available scholarship slots for freshmen transfers? Anyone hear any rumors regarding this?

I would guess that a lot of teams will be standing in line. If WSU is going to go after someone, I would like to see some defensive lineman.

Given the mercenaries briles has been recruiting, would we want to take a chance on any of them?

Given the mercenaries briles has been recruiting, would we want to take a chance on any of them?

Briles certainly recruited and accepted transfers that Leach would not. Briles did what former Nebraska coach Tom Osborne did and recruited suspect but extremely talented players. It worked for Osborne, as they would win two NC's with the likes of thugs like Lawrence Phillips, Christian Peter, etc.

Still, not every player at Baylor was a thug. You would have to do your homework and chose the good ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: YakiCoug
1990's thoughts are along the same lines with my own. Blood is in the water and the sharks have already started to circle. Whether Leach and crew feel that it is worth their effort remains to be seen. As 1990 posted we would have to discern which ones have been recruited to Waco despite character problems and which ones are acceptable on both athletic and personal qualities.

Baylor brought this on themselves but I cannot help but have compassion for the school's students, faculty and alumni. The majority of those attracted to association with this religious institution must surely be humbled and ashamed by what has been revealed. Their inertia in dealing with this matter has left them with a real problem. But that is human nature, is it not? We tend to ignore problems until forced to do so. They have my sympathy and I wish them well. The minority who created the mess? No.

Please refrain from using the word "matriculate". It sounds sort of dirty. Thanks in advance.

Why stop at matriculate? Perhaps any latin derivative should be banned. One hopes that the comment was tongue in cheek, though there was not much cheek showing. More like something between cheek and gum.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT