ADVERTISEMENT

Popadakis is destroying Softy!

CrimsonDisciple

Head Coach
Dec 26, 2005
Basically Popadakis said the Husky fan base is arrogant and told Softy stop whining about injuries. Predicted a reckoning in the Apple Cup. And it was not a nice, friendly conversation. Asked Softy what he wanted out of him? Asked him if he’s going to go to Pullman or Bark from Seattle. Wow! I have a huge newfound respect for Papadakis. Listen to the podcast if you can.

Last edited:
I always enjoyed him when he was calling our games. Funny, I was thinking about him last week as I cringed through listening to that ESPN crew from the Cal game.

Me too. He doesn’t get too serious and tries to make the broadcast fun.

Reactions: earldacoug
Me too. He doesn’t get too serious and tries to make the broadcast fun.
Yeah I always liked him too. Got kind of a bad rap for his goofiness but the dude knows his football and he’s entertaining. Always seemed like he had a soft spot for the underdog.

Think he also called Brink to Gibson if I remember right. One of my all time favorite AC moments.

Reactions: acgcoug
Yeah I always liked him too. Got kind of a bad rap for his goofiness but the dude knows his football and he’s entertaining. Always seemed like he had a soft spot for the underdog.

Think he also called Brink to Gibson if I remember right. One of my all time favorite AC moments.

Reactions: Coug90
Basically Popadakis said the Husky fan base is arrogant and told Softy stop whining about injuries. Predicted a reckoning in the Apple Cup. And it was not a nice, friendly conversation. Asked Softy what he wanted out of him? Asked him if he’s going to go to Pullman or Bark from Seattle. Wow! I have a huge newfound respect for Papadakis. Listen to the podcast if you can.

Which podcast?

That's how their conversations always are. Petros is always flipping him crap. It's always a really great interview.

Petros also dropped a Levy reference and I think I heard a Love Jefferson in there too.

You know, it's funny; with all the talk back then about "Noodle Arm" Brink, he threw that ball off his back foot, with a man in his face, from about the 44 to almost the goal line. That's quite the throw.

For sure. Watch the throw at the 1:50 mark to Bumpus. That roll out and toss back across his body really impressed me. "Noodle arms" don't make throws like that either. The throw at 3:50 mark was beautiful as well.

For sure. Watch the throw at the 1:50 mark to Bumpus. That roll out and toss back across his body really impressed me. "Noodle arms" don't make throws like that either. The throw at 3:50 mark was beautiful as well.
Brink got a ton of sh!t he didn't deserve because those teams couldn't play defense worth a damn. He'd go out and drop 30+ point regularly and then have to score 1 or 2 more times to stay in the game or win.

I just listened to the podcast. Softy is the ultimate uw homer. However, his partner Dick Fain is worse. Fain is horrible at his job. He emphasizes every third word whether it is important or not. Listen to the interview Softy and Fain interview that they do with FS1's Joel Klatt yesterday. Klatt hasn't been sold on the Cougars, Leach and the offense all year or really, years. Klatt, unlike Papadakolis, makes excuses for the huskies. Of course Fain and Softy make excuses as well and dismiss the Cougars.

You know, it's funny; with all the talk back then about "Noodle Arm" Brink, he threw that ball off his back foot, with a man in his face, from about the 44 to almost the goal line. That's quite the throw.
Yeah brink was legit. One of my favorite Coug QBs. Dude had some swagger.

I don’t remember that criticism of him...I was going to comment that he was throwing some bullets on that drive, certainly looked like he had some zip on the ball.

Just listened myself and Papadakis sure thinks Leach leaving is a foregone conclusion. One of the reasons he lists is because no one wants to live in Pullman. Hmmmmmmmm….. Softy is such pansy ass. I bet he sucks more cvck in a day than a $2 hooker does in a year.

Reactions: Cougzz
Just listened myself and Papadakis sure thinks Leach leaving is a foregone conclusion. One of the reasons he lists is because no one wants to live in Pullman. Hmmmmmmmm….. Softy is such pansy ass. I bet he sucks more cvck in a day than a $2 hooker does in a year.

Yeah, but then goes on to say that Leach will have trouble finding a major program to move to because of his idiosyncrasies. He’s not going to wear a suit or a tux, when necessary. He’s not going to avoid speaking his mind or being political. He probably wouldn’t move for a lateral job. Anyway, I expect the Seattle media to be pushing the narrative as we get closer to the Apple Cup and the bowl game. I wish Leach would come out and put a stop to it immediately once it starts. It hurts the program everytime he plays along.

Petros played TubOGoo like a drum. Baited him into it then slapped him silly. UW fans gonna be arrogant though as they should be they’ve mopped up on us like Oregon did to them during their streak.

I just listened to the podcast. Softy is the ultimate uw homer. However, his partner Dick Fain is worse. Fain is horrible at his job. He emphasizes every third word whether it is important or not. Listen to the interview Softy and Fain interview that they do with FS1's Joel Klatt yesterday. Klatt hasn't been sold on the Cougars, Leach and the offense all year or really, years. Klatt, unlike Papadakolis, makes excuses for the huskies. Of course Fain and Softy make excuses as well and dismiss the Cougars.

Klatt still thinks the Buffs are a power ala their Big12 days.

I like Klatt, but he's a Buff homer, which, you'd think he'd try to control a little better. Even Ryan Leaf (less experience) seems to try to not be such a homer, which is good.

Softy's a "Husky Honk" but has grown on me over the years. For whatever reason he doesn't come off as taking himself too seriously. Fain is awful and to me has always seemed to try to imitate Mitch Levy unless I'm confusing Fain with someone else on the station. His voice is irritating as all get out and being a bit of a pompous @$$ probably doesn't help his case either.

Last edited:
Softy's a "Husky Honk" but has grown on me over the years. For whatever reason he doesn't come off as taking himself too seriously. Fain is awful and to me has always seemed to try to imitate Mitch Levy unless I'm confusing Fain with someone else on the station. His voice is irritating as all get out and being a bit of a pompous @$$ probably doesn't help his case either.

I don't mind Softy, but a little goes a long way. He is fine when he talks about any of the local teams except the huskies. So, I don't mind listening to him.

Fain used to be partnered with Levy. His voice is irritating. He is the play by play guy for the Storm I believe. His regular on air talking voice is like he is calling overtime of a NCAA championship basketball game. Yes, he is a pompous idiot.

Exactly on Softy. He buys into the rivalry and is just having some fun with it. Better than those BS "I root for the Cougs every game except the AC" Huskies.

Totally agree regarding Dick Fain. He sucks. So cringeworthy listening to him pretend to be someone he’s not. Total homer, dork, wannabe sports personality. Just awful.

Totally agree regarding Dick Fain. He sucks. So cringeworthy listening to him pretend to be someone he’s not. Total homer, dork, wannabe sports personality. Just awful.

I wish they could somehow get Sandmeyer back. That guy was awesome. 100x better than Fain.

The Sandmeyer, Churchill & Schwartz show that used to be on 1090 was probably my favorite show at the time.

Sandmeyer is so much better than Fain. Smarter, more logical and just a better host. Schwartz is a WSU grad. Churchill knew baseball. I liked the show as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fab5Coug
One of my guilty pleasures is to listen to the honks after a Husky loss. That pleasure is disrupted every time Dick (“Coach”) Baird opens his mouth. He will not/cannot respond to a straight question without deflecting. Softy can sometimes be an enjoyable listen, but then Baird talks and you can almost hear the masses changing the tuner.

I wish they could somehow get Sandmeyer back. That guy was awesome. 100x better than Fain.

The Sandmeyer, Churchill & Schwartz show that used to be on 1090 was probably my favorite show at the time.

I used to commute from Seattle to Tacoma, that trio made the afternoon trip home much more bearable. Was Schwartz the guy that did the Bob Rob imitations?

Didn’t he end up at the Everett station?
No. That was the guy before Sandmeyer. He became a Cougar fan. His son ended up attending WSU. I am blanking on his name. It will come to me sooner or later.

My favorite is the Men's show in the afternoons. Is that syndicated?

Didn’t he end up at the Everett station?

No. That was the guy before Sandmeyer. He became a Cougar fan. His son ended up attending WSU. I am blanking on his name. It will come to me sooner or later.

Jeff "The Fish" Aaron was his name. He was Mitch's co-host before being fired and then moving on to host his own show on KRKO in Everett.

Reactions: kougkurt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT