ADVERTISEMENT

Really good Puck interview with Kyle Thornton...

Thornton has put in his dues, deserves the love, but I have to agree with former UW coach Chris Peterson that it was a scoring play but for edge rusher, #85 Degraw-Tryall. Their OT couldn't block/seal him, got pushed back, forcing the last second desperation pitch that Thornton cleaned up.

Huskies are complaining that it was a "bad call" by Fisch, but if you are the Husky coach, and the match up is your 310# RT vs a 230# freshmen edge rusher (in to pressure the passer) on an option run, it is the call you make all day, every day.

One of the greatest plays in Cougar history, that will be lost to history, because most people don't know what they are watching!

Thornton has put in his dues, deserves the love, but I have to agree with former UW coach Chris Peterson that it was a scoring play but for edge rusher, #85 Degraw-Tryall. Their OT couldn't block/seal him, got pushed back, forcing the last second desperation pitch that Thornton cleaned up.

Huskies are complaining that it was a "bad call" by Fisch, but if you are the Husky coach, and the match up is your 310# RT vs a 230# freshmen edge rusher (in to pressure the passer) on an option run, it is the call you make all day, every day.

One of the greatest plays in Cougar history, that will be lost to history, because most people don't know what they are watching!
I just watched the play about 10x on slo-mo, and here's my assessment:

Basically the entire UW offense - not just the OL - failed completely. There were 2 exceptions:
  1. Denzel Boston, the X receiver farthest from the play, made a really good and completely meaningless block
  2. Their LG closed off the backside pursuit pretty well, and sustained it long enough to make sure that Gusta wasn't a factor.
Nobody else did their job well. Their C and RG failed to control their blocks, and while they maintained contact, the DL was in control and strung the play out to the offensive right. Because of this, Rogers had to keep moving laterally, and had no path forward.

Our D lined up with two defenders outside the tackle, plus an LB pursuing inside out. The RT and TE blocked both outside guys and left the pursuit untouched. Basically, they ran an option and then blocked the guy they were supposed to be optioning on.

The TE's block on Al-Uqdah was minimally effective - he was engaged and couldn't really attack. The RT at least kept Moku in a position where he couldn't make a play ahead of the goal line. Problem was that they didn't blow either of them out of the path of the ball - Rogers/Coleman still had to get around them, and Al-Uqdah was getting pushed toward the sideline, so the blocker was actually closing the path. And more importantly, nobody ever touched Thornton. The result was that no path to the endzone emerged, and Thornton had a perfect pursuit lane.

If Rogers had pitched sooner, Coleman might have been able to get past Thornton and around Al-Uqdah and beat him to the flag. Probably not, but maybe.

If I was drawing up that play, the tight end blocks down on Thornton. Doesn't have to be much, just slow him down a step or two. The RT should drive Moku out the back of the endzone. I leave Al-Uqdah untouched and make him choose between covering Coleman or Rogers (I'd rather block Al-Uqdah, since he's the better tackler and he's bigger...but our alignment made him a tougher block). They'd still need their interior OL to do a better job than they did, but the way they blocked it made it impossible.

I also think Coleman was running too close to Rogers, and he needed to be more outside and less behind.

Oh, and also - holding on the RG, who clearly had a grip on Edson's shoulder pads and was trying to twist him to the ground. Holding on the RT, who had his right hand lifting up Moku's left shoulder, and his left hand pulling Moku's right arm. And holding on the TE, with his hand up under Al-Uqdah's chin, which then turned into illegal hands to the face, followed by another hold when as the TE fell to the ground, he pulled Al-Uqdah down by the back of his jersey. In other words, even with the entire right side of the line cheating, they couldn't manage to make their blocks.

Even if you take away the poor execution, running an option to the short side with a QB who can't run is a bad call.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT