ADVERTISEMENT

Reports: Manny Diaz will be new HC of Miami

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
That was quick. Diaz had accepted the Temple job, but now the Owls are looking for a new HC. So, WSU fans can go on celebrating the bowl win and New Year's knowing Leach isn't leaving for the 'Canes.

Last edited:
The Iron Laws didn’t hold up. How could this be?
No such thing. His name came up for several reasons . If he is willing to listen to Tenn at 6 mil only makes sense he is willing to listen to Miami at that amount .

Not sure why you take probably and past history as an iron law. When a dc like lake sets up his game plan and his calls he probably says there is a 90% chance Leach will call a pass play. Do you think Lake just “guesses” what will happen and it will be the 10% on that play leach will call a run play? No.

And guess what 10% of the time Lake will be wrong.

There is no iron law WSU will pass the ball, but there is a good probability they will .

Last edited:
No such thing. His name came up for several reasons . If he is willing to listen to Tenn at 6 mil only makes sense he is willing to listen to Miami at that amount .

Not sure why you take probably and last history as an iron law. When a dc like lake sets up his game plan and his calls he probably says there is a 90% chance Leach will call a pass play. Do you think Lake just “guesses” what will happen and it will be the 10% on that play leach will call a run play? No.

There is no iron law WSU will pass the ball, but there is a good probability they will .
Who said UM is going to offer 6 million? According to USA Today, Richt was making 4 million prior to his last extension, so now they’ve got a couple extra million to throw around?

Who said UM is going to offer 6 million? According to USA Today, Richt was making 4 million prior to his last extension, so now they’ve got a couple extra million to throw around?
Yes they are a private school and have the money to throw around, but clearly they are not throwing around bigger numbers

Not sure why you take probably and last history as an iron law. When a dc like lake sets up his game plan and his calls he probably says there is a 90% chance Leach will call a pass play. Do you think Lake just “guesses” what will happen and it will be the 10% on that play leach will call a run play? No.

You must be very confused about how and why Miami chose a coordinator with no head coaching experience, instead of WSU’s head coach. How did the Iron Laws breakdown?

Are you saying Leach declined $6 million annually from Miami?

Are you saying there was 90% probability Leach was leaving?

Are you saying there is a 90% probability Jimmy Lake will be WSU’s new head coach after Leach takes the $6 million a year job at Miami he was never offered?

Ed -
It was more than the $6 million. It was assistant coaches salaries and facilities at Tenn..

To keep Leach it is about being fair with him on salary. I think his salary is competitive, but needs to stay that way. Assistant salaries has got to go up. No coach wants to replace coaches all the time, because they took a lateral move. The indoor practice facility is a must.

As far as, Leach's play calling. I thought he called pass plays 100% of the time. The QB checks to the run when it is called for. UW recruits massive DT's each year. Why that many would want to sign in the same recruiting class I do not understand. To be able to control the box with fewer people is always going to be an advantage.

As a former coach, I have had teams that were you can call the best play for the defensive formation and yet because of personnel it still does not work. Sometimes you just do not match up well. I am sure Leach and company knows what they need and are trying to recruit accordingly. Once recruiting is done you have to work with what you have. Hopefully as wins come he can take less chances with recruits. More will stay or make it. When you are recruiting 25 every year, you are getting the most out of your opportunities. Some kids will not perform to expectation or except their role.

Our need is DTs or kids that can grow into that position. Ideally you want tall DTs, but bodies that can do the job. Recruit shorter if necessary. Leach has done a great job. It will be about holding on to his current staff, unless they are moving to better positions at other schools (like head coach or a coordinator if they are just a position coach). Some assistants will always be more important to keep than others (like DC, DL, OL, or a great recruiter). The current staff looks like the best yet.

Reactions: Cougatron
You must be very confused about how and why Miami chose a coordinator with no head coaching experience, instead of WSU’s head coach. How did the Iron Laws breakdown?

Are you saying there is a 90% probability Jimmy Lake will be WSU’s new head coach after Leach takes the $6 million a year job at Miami he was never offered?

If they know or interact with you at all there is little chance they love you. Probably a 90% chance they don’t.
Worked with the same people since 1993. Something must be working.

Last edited:
Or a figment of yours.

Funny, I recall Dickenson Baird mentioning a situation in the 1980s when a Cougar AD went to Miami, followed by a Cougar HC heading there after the 1988 season (20 years ago, of course). Why was this even mentioned? Little Baird was in a wet frenzy over the possibility of Leach leaving. Then again, he goes to more mutt than Cougar games these days.

Funny, I recall Dickenson Baird mentioning a situation in the 1980s when a Cougar AD went to Miami, followed by a Cougar HC heading there after the 1988 season (20 years ago, of course). Why was this even mentioned? Little Baird was in a wet frenzy over the possibility of Leach leaving. Then again, he goes to more mutt than Cougar games these days.
Yo Orkin Joe...Maybe I miss where I typed he was headed there. I simply said he was a potential candidate and that Miami had success raiding the well once, and in a typo I said 20 years vs the 30 it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT