ADVERTISEMENT

Robb Akey speculation

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Heard some predictions on sports talk radio that Robb Akey will be joining CML's staff, perhaps as soon as the next two weeks.

He's got a solid NFL background and some deep ties to WSU + head coaching experience.

The radio guys also speculated that Akey is in good with some of the big-time alumni because of his many years coaching in the Palouse.

What about any connections with Mike Leach's coaching tree?

Heard some predictions on sports talk radio that Robb Akey will be joining CML's staff, perhaps as soon as the next two weeks.

He's got a solid NFL background and some deep ties to WSU + head coaching experience.

The radio guys also speculated that Akey is in good with some of the big-time alumni because of his many years coaching in the Palouse.

You know, I always liked (and met) Akey. Loved his "leaping" gifs. Guy took UI to a bowl, was a great Coug as far as I know.

Not sayin he is our guy, just saying he's not a bad guy or bad possible candidate.......

which husky honks made those predictions?

You know, I always liked (and met) Akey. Loved his "leaping" gifs. Guy took UI to a bowl, was a great Coug as far as I know.

Not sayin he is our guy, just saying he's not a bad guy or bad possible candidate.......

Yeah, seems like there's a lot of support for Coach Akey but also a few skeptics, too.

He does seem to love WSU, though.

Most of us really liked Coach Akey. But, he was not much of a recruiter. He just coached the defensive ends. He changed the defense and it did get worse under his watch. His last year, the Cougars gave up 346 points. The year after he left, the Cougars gave up 277.

That would ne among the worst possibilities at DC, perhaps a 10th assistant spot? Either way very poor choice.

Maybe he can hoist beers with the best of them If so,he may have a chance. There some really good O line coaches looking for good jobs

Akey is a good guy. Good assistant. Good quote. Had some good DLines in Pullman. Idaho not a good indication as a head coach and that's irrelevant for an assistant spot.

Would likely mean Phelps is moving up to DC is my guess.

The Observer always seems like the walking definition of a knowledgeable, level-headed WSU message board poster, so that's good to learn re: Akey.

Sounds like CRA could be a welcome addition to the WSU staff as either a 10th assistant or defensive coordinator.

Guess we'll find out soon if the sports radio experts had the inside scoop.

The Observer always seems like the walking definition of a knowledgeable, level-headed WSU message board poster, so that's good to learn re: Akey.

Sounds like CRA could be a welcome addition to the WSU staff as either a 10th assistant or defensive coordinator.

Guess we'll find out soon if the sports radio experts had the inside scoop.

Over his career Leach has parked a few guys who may have been fired/burned out/whatever. Surfer guy with rad hair comes to mind.

He's also had a few WTFs?!? I don't recall his name - but the guy he met in the bar in Key West and was a high school coach. That didn't end well.

You could do worse than Robb Akey coming back on staff. A LOT worse.

Over his career Leach has parked a few guys who may have been fired/burned out/whatever. Surfer guy with rad hair comes to mind.

He's also had a few WTFs?!? I don't recall his name - but the guy he met in the bar in Key West and was a high school coach. That didn't end well.

I think you could do a lot better too. Akey is not DC material.

Akey was a terrible recruiter at WSU. This is a serious question- name one guy he recruited that actually made it to Pullman? I can’t name any. Recruiting is one of, if not the, primary jobs of the position coaches.

I think you could do a lot better too. Akey is not DC material.

Akey was a terrible recruiter at WSU. This is a serious question- name one guy he recruited that actually made it to Pullman? I can’t name any. Recruiting is one of, if not the, primary jobs of the position coaches.

Where did I ever say he was coming back as DC?

He'd be coming back as the 10th assistant. Phelps is the X and O genius.

Blond hair surfer guy was a crap recruiter. Leach parked him for a couple years. It's what coaches do for their buddies. Doba parked Leon Burtnett after he had some tough times.

Where did I ever say he was coming back as DC?

He'd be coming back as the 10th assistant. Phelps is the X and O genius.

Blond hair surfer guy was a crap recruiter. Leach parked him for a couple years. It's what coaches do for their buddies. Doba parked Leon Burtnett after he had some tough times.

Well, Leach and Akey are not buddies as far as I know.

We agree that Akey is not the DC. And we also seem to agree that Akey was a bad recruiter. So, what do you see as his role and responsibility? I'd like to see the 10th assistant be a QB coach or a DBs coach. Akey is neither of those. What does Akey bring to the table besides some nostalgia?

Well, Leach and Akey are not buddies as far as I know.

We agree that Akey is not the DC. And we also seem to agree that Akey was a bad recruiter. So, what do you see as his role and responsibility? I'd like to see the 10th assistant be a QB coach or a DBs coach. Akey is neither of those. What does Akey bring to the table besides some nostalgia?
nothing is coming between Leach and the QB. I believe you've alluded to it yourself.

Akey's time at DC coincided with Pete Carroll's arrival at USC and the beginning of the juggernaut in Eugene.

Akey is a good guy. Good assistant. Good quote. Had some good DLines in Pullman. Idaho not a good indication as a head coach and that's irrelevant for an assistant spot.

Would likely mean Phelps is moving up to DC is my guess.

I took a long look at Phelps. He coached a long time under a quality defensive coordinator. It was a speed defense. I know he is a good tactician, with his experience at NIU and Minnesota I hope he picked up the strategy. I am not as sure of hiring an assistant coach that is known for being a poor recruiter. I was hoping if Akey was coming it would be a non-recruiting position (defensive quality control.) You said "my guess". Do you happen to have any inside information on Phelps as defensive coordinator or Akey hiring?

Thanks.

Akey has a lot to bring to a staff, but not as DC. And not as a recruiter. I don't know the in's and out's of Leach's staff well enough to know if we "need" a recruiter to replace Grinch...and that is if Grinch is even leaving, which is still not certain. If CML and Akey share some good chemistry, CML can certainly shuffle responsibilities around to find a square hole for Akey's square peg. I suspect that several of our younger coaches could probably do equally well if not better in a different coaching slot, and it would be good for their career to get that opportunity to learn. They would also bring some fresh perspective to a new coaching responsibility slot, which is usually a good thing.

If Grinch does choose to leave, we have 2 spots to fill. And that is if CML does not cut anybody loose, which is always a possibility. We did well in the early signing period with essentially zero effort from Grinch, so I'm not sold that we "have" to get a recruiter if he leaves. I will agree that if he leaves and we have two spots to fill, one of them does need to be a recruiter.

It should also be noted that if we bring in a new DC from outside the staff, that guy will probably want to bring at least one guy with him. In that case, both of the spots are filled by one hiring action.

Akey has a lot to bring to a staff, but not as DC. And not as a recruiter. I don't know the in's and out's of Leach's staff well enough to know if we "need" a recruiter to replace Grinch...and that is if Grinch is even leaving, which is still not certain. If CML and Akey share some good chemistry, CML can certainly shuffle responsibilities around to find a square hole for Akey's square peg. I suspect that several of our younger coaches could probably do equally well if not better in a different coaching slot, and it would be good for their career to get that opportunity to learn. They would also bring some fresh perspective to a new coaching responsibility slot, which is usually a good thing.

If Grinch does choose to leave, we have 2 spots to fill. And that is if CML does not cut anybody loose, which is always a possibility. We did well in the early signing period with essentially zero effort from Grinch, so I'm not sold that we "have" to get a recruiter if he leaves. I will agree that if he leaves and we have two spots to fill, one of them does need to be a recruiter.

It should also be noted that if we bring in a new DC from outside the staff, that guy will probably want to bring at least one guy with him. In that case, both of the spots are filled by one hiring action.

So what exactly does Akey have to bring to the staff?

You are probably right. I just do not think you can have enough recruiters. If a coach it not a coordinator, than I think they should be a recruiter. If you look at other staffs even their coordinators are recruiters. Looking at our coaching staff, individually they have better years than others recruiting. It could have to do with what talent is in their area any one time. You know Akey better than I, is he really a better defensive line coach than Phelps? He went to Florida State an defensive quality control person. Given his experience he adds a lot of experience to that position. I am sure that Leach my be getting alumni pressure to hire Akey. Is he so much better than Phelps that he will get more out of the defensive line than Phelps got? I thought Phelps was an improvement as a tactician than who we had previously, but what do I know. What exactly does Akey bring to the table that no one else can in that position?

I could see Akey as a defensive quality control guy but not on the main staff. This would be a lateral move from his job at FSU and he might be up for it. DC? No. D-line? No. Phelps is doing quite well there and I would not want him replaced. Others have mentioned Akey's limitations as a recruiter. Isolated Pullman needs top notch recruiters to entice kids to WSU. We need the best recruiters that we can get and Akey, for all his qualities, recruiting is not one of them.

Reactions: Tx64
I could see Akey as a defensive quality control guy but not on the main staff. This would be a lateral move from his job at FSU and he might be up for it. DC? No. D-line? No. Phelps is doing quite well there and I would not want him replaced. Others have mentioned Akey's limitations as a recruiter. Isolated Pullman needs top notch recruiters to entice kids to WSU. We need the best recruiters that we can get and Akey, for all his qualities, recruiting is not one of them.
you left out defensive backs coach. The current d-backs coach doesn't recruit, but hopefully the next DC could help more in recruiting.

Kayak and Fro both bring up good points. Tx, there is no justification for replacing Phelps with Akey. The question is really whether the new 10th slot makes it possible to bring a good and experienced technician in on the D side of the ball. My guess is that IF Grinch leaves, then the new DC will come from outside and bring at least one guy with him. Probably of those two guys, at least one will be a recruiter. I also suspect that CML thought that Grinch was more of a recruiter than he has turned out to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT